• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus will present Yakuza 0 at E3

firelogic

For the majority of the players playing the release, they would never notice a difference. They would hear people speaking Japanese which they can't understand. And then read the subtitles which would have been the same translation that the dub was based on.

The F bombs also worked extremely well as Mark Hamill's delivery was amazing. Of course he just does an amazing job whenever he is giving and insane character. I can't really think of a voice actor I'd rather have voicing Majima ran the same one who also made the Joker so chilling.

I'd say the majority of people that would buy a Yakuza game prefers the Japanese audio. And even if you're not a native speaker of the language, you can tell if something is good or not. Voice inflections, where they emphasize words, tone, variations in voice, etc...For whatever reason, English dubs turn Osakan accents (for example) into southern US drawl. I don't know about you but if I'm playing a game based in Japan, with a full cast of Japanese characters, with an emphasis on Japanese culture, hearing a southern drawl or hearing The Joker speak is offputting.

It'd be great if dual audio was an option but barring that, Japanese audio is my preferred choice. I highly doubt they'd sink the resources into dubbing it in English anyway considering how low the sales are in western markets so this debate is moot.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Good to see! Hopefully it gets some good press and pushes Sega to do more for this franchise in the west
especially considering the series' poor sales in the west, its hard to complain about how much sega has done. we have every mainline game except 0...

Menitta

There should be a trailer on stage during Sony's E3 conference. Or maybe even a gameplay presentation. Get as many eyes on this game as possible.

t26

I'd say the majority of people that would buy a Yakuza game prefers the Japanese audio. And even if you're not a native speaker of the language, you can tell if something is good or not. Voice inflections, where they emphasize words, tone, variations in voice, etc...For whatever reason, English dubs turn Osakan accents (for example) into southern US drawl. I don't know about you but if I'm playing a game based in Japan, with a full cast of Japanese characters, with an emphasis on Japanese culture, hearing a southern drawl or hearing The Joker speak is offputting.

It'd be great if dual audio was an option but barring that, Japanese audio is my preferred choice. I highly doubt they'd sink the resources into dubbing it in English anyway considering how low the sales are in western markets so this debate is moot.

Yakuza 1, the only dubbed game, is the best selling game of the series.

kiryogi

Banned

And it the series went downhill because it wasn't well received after the mainstreams first impressions of it. :p It was being marketed as a Eastern GTA. Oh and that's another thing. Yakuza 1 was actually marketed. 2 and beyond were not. Get your facts straight.

t26

It is really hard to say if a dubbed Yakuza 2 would done better, but we do know that Yakuza 4 sold worst than Yakuza 3. And Yakuza 4 had the most faithful localization, keeping Japanese names, mini games including hostess. They keep making the experience as close to the original but that hasn't reflect in sales. Yakuza 2-4 probably have the same amount of marketing.

For the majority of the players playing the release, they would never notice a difference. They would hear people speaking Japanese which they can't understand. And then read the subtitles which would have been the same translation that the dub was based on.

The F bombs also worked extremely well as Mark Hamill's delivery was amazing. Of course he just does an amazing job whenever he is giving and insane character. I can't really think of a voice actor I'd rather have voicing Majima ran the same one who also made the Joker so chilling.
The bolded was the number one complain about the localisation.

Are you praising mark hamil or talking about the localisation of the games. Those aren't the same thing

Y2 was release at the VERY end of the PS2 lifespan without any marketing what so ever.
Face it the people who are intrested in the franchise for it's autenticity in the setting don't want this dub

Aters

Lmao

You'd think Sega will help push Atlus' games because they are a much bigger company. But in reality, Atlus is pushing Sega's games.

Sega pls.

Brew124

I'm so happy this series is releasing in the west again. I just hope it continues and doesn't stop after Yakuza 0.

t26

Y2 was release at the VERY end of the PS2 lifespan without any marketing what so ever.
Face it the people who are intrested in the franchise for it's autenticity in the setting don't want this dub

And Yakuza 2 still manage to sell better Yakuza 3. Where the heck were those people who cares about authenticity when Yakuza 4 came out?

etrain911

I just hope we don't get the Atlus tax on it so it can actually sell. Yakuza 5's price point was what made it a day one buy for me.

Menitta

And Yakuza 2 still manage to sell better Yakuza 3. Where the heck were those people who cares about authenticity when Yakuza 4 came out?

Sequels usually decrease in sales, especially in the west. At least that's what I was under the impression of.

I also don't want them to dub the series. Putting authenticity aside, it's just not worth it from a business stand point and it'll only hurt the western release by making the localization much more expensive.

I just hope we don't get the Atlus tax on it so it can actually sell. Yakuza 5's price point was what made it a day one buy for me.

This is a relatively recent title on a current gen console. It's gonna cost $60 like most of the other retail games out there.

kadotsu

Banned
Lmao

You'd think Sega will help push Atlus' games because they are a much bigger company. But in reality, Atlus is pushing Sega's games.

Sega pls.

Atlus is way better at marketing these type of games. Too bad they are shit at publishing.

Pyrrhus

Are we to take it that Atlus will be translating it as well? Because I'm not sure if I'm for that, really. I know they do it with a lot of love, but they often feel the need to have nerdy humor and callouts to friends and memes that I don't think would serve the style of the games or the sense of continuity with previous titles well.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This is a relatively recent title on a current gen console. It's gonna cost $60 like most of the other retail games out there.
Its gonna be nearly, if not since we still don't know the release date, 2 years old by the time its out over here. Not what I'd call relatively recent. Oughta be $50 max at launch.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Are we to take it that Atlus will be translating it as well? Because I'm not sure if I'm for that, really. I know they do it with a lot of love, but they often feel the need to have nerdy humor and callouts to friends and memes that I don't think would serve the style of the games or the sense of continuity with previous titles well.
most likely the same team thats been translating the games since yakuza 2...

Menitta

Its gonna be nearly, if not since we still don't know the release date, 2 years old by the time its out over here. Not what I'd call relatively recent. Oughta be $50 max at launch.

I'd say the only reason Yakuza 5 was $45 is because it's a PS3 game released in 2015, digital only.

When it comes to releasing localized version of Japanese games, 2 years isn't that long. Yakuza 5 came out 3 years after it's initial release as a digital only title on a last gen console and it still cost $40.

This game will still look (IMO) and run amazingly on PS4 when it releases. I wouldn't expect to see any less than $60 on the price tag.

MacTag

Banned
I don't, considering their first game on a nintendo system - the Sonic Advance - was published by THQ.
Their first published game on a Nintendo system was Chu Chu Rocket GBA. They sublicensed games out long before that all the way back to the Famicom though.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'd say the only reason Yakuza 5 was $45 is because it's a PS3 game released in 2015, digital only.
And cause it was 3 years old! Yakuza 0's also technically a PS3 game.

When it comes to releasing localized version of Japanese games, 2 years isn't that long.
I disagree. 2 years an beyond aren't the norm these days. Many localizations big or small that I've casually followed seem to make it within a year lately. Heck looking back on games I've been playing recently, many of the dates between JP & NA aren't years apart either. Stuff like Dragon Quest and Yakuza are the odd ones out.

Go_Ly_Dow

I sent an email to Atlus and SEGA back in November suggesting that they let Atlus publish and market Yakuza 0...... I wonder if this is a result of that? :p

BELIEVE!

Every new Yakuza game I tell myself "y'know if this is the last one, I'm satisfied," since it's always a legitimate possibility that we won't get another. 5 was the only time I didn't feel that way though, since 0 looked so sick. I can't wait to wreck people with young Kazuma and Majima while they spit out money. On a surface level 0 looks like the peak of ridiculousness in the series, and I hope Atlus handling it means the game gets a bit more publicity than it normally does stateside.

Menitta

And cause it was 3 years old! Yakuza 0's also technically a PS3 game.

But it's not. It's being released on the PS4. Yakuza 5 and 0 aren't the same situations. 5 was 3 years old on PS3 in the middle of the PS4's life. This is 2 years old on PS4 being released during the PS4's life.. Also, 0 gets a retail release, unlike 5.

But it's not. It's being released on the PS4. Yakuza 5 and 0 aren't the same situations. 5 was 3 years old on PS3 in the middle of the PS4's life. This is 2 years old on PS4 being released during the PS4's life.. Also, 0 gets a retail release, unlike 5.

Wasn't 0 a cross-gen deal?

I very much enjoyed the English dub of Yakuza 1.

I missed it inYakuza 2 and Y3 and Y4. Love all the games still.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't, considering their first game on a nintendo system - the Sonic Advance - was published by THQ.

You'd have to look around more then because Ignition was trying to strike a deal with SEGA for years to bring over Yakuza and they rejected it because they said if they were going to do it, they wanted to do it themselves. If.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I very much enjoyed the English dub of Yakuza 1.

I missed it inYakuza 2 and Y3 and Y4. Love all the games still.
Oh man... that dub was the worst, in my opinion. I'm not a JP audio fanatic by any definition, but for a game named Yakuza that is so deeply rooted in Japan it felt extremely jarring and I vastly preferred the original audio in subsequent releases. In an ideal world where money isn't an issue, there would obviously be an option for dubs/undubbed, but given the series sales I don't expect them to invest in a dub.

KRaZyAmmo

tumblr_nc4tdqPpgN1r7qbrco10_500.gif

impact

Banned
To be fair to Atlus, judging by the history of Yakuza series, there wasn't any chance of that happening to begin with.

True, but with a SEGA game there's always a chance. No one thought we were getting VC on PC either....

With Atlus I just hear Vince McMahon theme song in my head. One day I'll try this series.

Top Bottom