• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Jamesfrom818 said:
Because cutting off your nose to spite your face is such a brilliant idea.
How does that analogy work? It's to spite another person's face.

Would Verizon sell a phone running an AT&T operating system, or vice versa?

RBH said:
How has tmobile been for you in Atlanta? Everyone I know with tmobile in the metro Atlanta area has always complained about dropped calls and such.
Always been fine for me. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Whenever this goes through I think I'm going to Sprint.

clav

Kodiak690 said:
I only have myself and my mother on my family plan. My gf is with her family. My mom can barely text, much less use a smart phone. If I go with sprint, It's going to cost me a good $30+ more per month. If they had a plan with fewer minutes (we use very few per month), that was cheaper, it'd probably work. Not everyone needs unlimited everything, and I'm not paying for it if I don't need it.

Sprint is great if you have 2+ people who use a ton of minutes/data/texts. But they don't work for me.. Unless they would release a plan with maybe 500 minutes per month.

Plus the reception is terrible where I work (where I would want to tether 90% of the time) with Sprint.
How much do you pay now?

Seda

Kccitystar said:
They already do. It's called the Everything Data 450 for 69.99. It's their bread and butter, I believe.

He's on a family plan, where if you go everything data, you can't choose the lowest tier minutes (700 i think, he'd have to go with 1400 or 1500 whatever the next tier is)

Kodiak690

Neo Member
claviertekky said:
*facepalm*

You don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, I've only been researching it for the last two months because I want to switch from AT&T to a carrier that will allow me to have unlimited data.

Talon

RBH said:
How has tmobile been for you in Atlanta? Everyone I know with tmobile in the metro Atlanta area has always complained about dropped calls and such.
T-Mobile's dreadful in the northeast suburbs. Lots of dead zones.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DrFunk said:
On the positive side, buying unlocked phones just got a load easier since all GSM bands onw operate under one telco

Yeah, and that I am happy about. The rest... not so much.

At the very least it may push Google to make the next Nexus actually work on Verizon.

clav

Kodiak690 said:
Yeah, I've only been researching it for the last two months because I want to switch from AT&T to a carrier that will allow me to have unlimited data.
Your choices are limited then.

It's either Sprint or a Sprint Reseller (i.e. Virgin Mobile, Boost).

xtop

In the event of the deal failing to receive regulatory approval, AT&T will be on the hook for $3 billion to T-Mobile -- a breakup fee, they call it -- along with transferring over some AWS spectrum it doesn't need for its LTE rollout, and granting T-Mo a roaming agreement at a value agreeable to both parties.

interesting

Plasmid

So is this bad? I'm an AT&T customer, have been for almost 2 years now, but i dont' see why this would be shitty for AT&T customers, as opposed to being horrible for T-Mobile due to the bills.

RBH

Malleymal said:
Am I the only person that has no problem with AT&T ?? I have the same bill every month, they just gave me free mobile to mobile calling so now I only
Lose minutes when I call landlines. All for like 90 bucks and unlimited everything else... What am I missing?
I've had no issues with AT&T either. It's certainly a case-by-case basis when comparing the quality of AT&T in different locales.

But I definitely understand why this news is pretty bad for the industry as a whole here in the U.S.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
DMeisterJ said:
So I guess AT&T will now be called AT&T-Mobile?

Screen-shot-2011-03-20-at-2.58.12-PM.png

numble said:
How does that analogy work? It's to spite another person's face.

Would Verizon sell a phone running an AT&T operating system, or vice versa?

How many subscribers do you think Verizon would lose if they stopped selling Android phones? It may be hard to believe but people actually like Android and they're not using it just because they can't get an iPhone.

clav

Plasmid said:
So is this bad? I'm an AT&T customer, have been for almost 2 years now, but i dont' see why this would be shitty for AT&T customers, as opposed to being horrible for T-Mobile due to the bills.
You enjoy paying a ton for mediocre service.

Seda

claviertekky said:
Your choices are limited then.

It's either Sprint or a Sprint Reseller (i.e. Virgin Mobile, Boost).

I ask again, Verizon's 30 dollar data feature says "Unlimited". Is this just bs?

Kodiak690

Neo Member
Kccitystar said:
They already do. It's called the Everything Data 450 for 69.99. It's their bread and butter, I believe.

They don't with a family plan, which I get with AT&T. Besides, I'm hesistant to go with Sprint because most of my friends at work switched to them and their reception is terrible most of the time.

Plasmid

claviertekky said:

I'm not paying for it, my family added my contract to their farming business plan, so it's good for me.

When i'm required to pay for my bill i'll go to verizon.

e:

Seda said:
I ask again, Verizon's 30 dollar data feature says "Unlimited". Is this just bs?

Yes, they have caps IIRC.

Gallbaro said:
You think you would have networks capable of HD Video without competition?
Competition in general is good. However, you're going to have to explain to me how this move is competitive in the first place and pro-consumer.

The "free market" isn't always good and doesn't always lead to the best situation for consumers.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
claviertekky said:

LOL MONOPOLIES ARE AN EXPRESSION OF THE FREE MARKET. THEY ENCOURAGE COMPETITION. CAN'T YOU FEEL THE ECONOMY TRICKLING DOWN YOUR CHIN?

Plasmid said:
We're getting closer and closer to an industry controlled by two single carriers.

It's bad for everyone.

clav

Seda said:
For what plan is this may I ask?

I know for LTE there's a cap for 5GB a month.

Plasmid said:
I'm not paying for it.

So you're just trolling. Good for you.

linkboy

Andrex said:
Yeah, and that I am happy about. The rest... not so much.

At the very least it may push Google to make the next Nexus actually work on Verizon.

I hope they do. I'm going to use my upgrade in Sept to get my wife an iPhone (I'll swap numbers with her) and then use her upgrade in next Feb to upgrade my phone.

And I really hope the FTC does their damn job and prevents this from going through. All AT&T is doing is rebuilding themselves after the breakup back in the 80s.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My Verizon service is good, but paying $90/month is ridiculous (and I get a discount). I am glad that the consumer protetctions which should stop this merger from happening have all but eroded.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, I guess T-mobile's "you still have unlimited data if you get a new phone in May" Sidekick 2/Hiptop 2 data-closing stuff offer is no more thanks to this.

Fucking AT&T. :/ At least I can get an iPhone under "T-mobile" now. :/

clav

X-Frame said:
Why couldn't AT&T just spend that $39 billion on making a better network?
That's too difficult. Why do so when you can buy some other company that already did some of the work for you?

linkboy

X-Frame said:

Or you can take out some competition and take over their network. Much better for the company (which is the only thing that matters).

claviertekky said:

Same with their 3g plan, its 5GB per month. There's hardly any reason why you should get anywhere close to 5GBs a month. Use Wi-fi if you're doing any major data usage.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
linkboy said:
And I really hope the FTC does their damn job and prevents this from going through. All AT&T is doing is rebuilding themselves after the breakup back in the 80s.

lTM62.jpg

Plasmid

claviertekky said:

So you're just trolling. Good for you.

I'm not trolling at all, i'll admit that AT&T has been pretty bullshit lately by shutting my phone off and not even sending a bill off for my family to pay, but for the last 2 years i've had pretty good service.

X-Frame said:
Because they'd still have to spend money convincing people on a competing carrier to join them. This way they can simply force them to.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GoldenEye 007 said:
Does CDMA allow for data use and voice calling at the same time? Has LTE alleviated that at all?

LTE I do think does, but on 3G definitely no.

Firestorm

Jamesfrom818 said:
How many subscribers do you think Verizon would lose if they stopped selling Android phones? It may be hard to believe but people actually like Android and they're not using it just because they can't get an iPhone.
Yeah, AT&T was just bleeding customers with its almost non-existent Android lineup...

android.verizon-resized-600.jpg

numble

Jamesfrom818 said:
Verizon will not sell a phone running a competitor's OS. It's very simple. If Apple bought T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T would not sell the iPhone. Every iPhone purchase on Verizon/AT&T would be subsidizing their competitor's operations. And people would not want to buy a Google phone when their is a Google carrier anyway, the same way people would flock to "Apple Wireless" instead of buying iPhones at AT&T/Verizon.

clav

GoldenEye 007 said:
Does CDMA allow for data use and voice calling at the same time? Has LTE alleviated that at all?
Some of the newer phones do allow that. I know the 4G ones at least do.

For other CDMA phones you can use data and talk at the same time
if you're on Wifi

gcubed

JasonMCG said:
So the best carrier in America is being bought out by the worst. Fuck.

im confused by this? i know who the worst is, but surely you jest in thinking tmobile is the best. the best wouldn't be losing customers

anyway, didn't we just have a decent size thread where some poster was going on and on and on about compeition in the wireless space and if you dont like it just switch? 4 to 3 and i wouldnt doubt 2 soon enough

numble said:
Verizon will not sell a phone running a competitor's OS. It's very simple. If Apple bought T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T would not sell the iPhone. Every iPhone purchase on Verizon/AT&T would be subsidizing their competitor's operations.

Its not like Google profits directly from each phone sale. Verizon would pretty much be saying "Fuck you" to HTC, Moto, Samsung, LG, etc....

Verizon has always had the reputation of having shitty phones on a great network. Android has pretty much alleviated that. I don't think they'd want to have that reputation again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom