• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro's Playroom is fantastic

bender

What time is it?
Platinum get!

This is probably the most Nintendo-like game that Sony has ever created. The flavor text is wonderful and creates charm to seeing Sony's hardware legacy where a lesser effort could have left it feeling cold. All of the call backs in the level reminds me a lot of modern Smash Brothers titles. The game is a touch on the simple side and it never gets difficult but the controls are pitch perfect and it does a great job showcasing the controller. I absolutely love when it's raining and you can feel the pitter patter hitting Astrobot. The trophy implementation is great, especially those focused around past Sony game callbacks. The only real downside is the suits. Half of them can be on the tedious side. You could have replaced the frog suit and given me another bow and arrow or machine gun segment and called it a day. While the game is short, I don't really think it needs to be any longer as it does the two things it sets out to do, dhow of the DualSense and give you a visual tour of Sony's hardware and software lineup.

Not bad for a free game.

Grinchy

Banned
Really liking this a lot. The way you can just press start, dpad through the levels and sublevels, see what you're missing, and just click X almost instantly warp to that portion of the level to get what you're missing is so damn good.

It takes away so much tediousness. It's also really nice being able to just go down to the activity card from the OS and skip any splash screens. You're in the hub world in like 4 seconds from a cold boot....just crazy!

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
First thing I played this morning. What a delight. This dual sense is so bloody good. Console is not even as big as I expected honestly. It’s just fantastic and I’m very happy with my purchase. Now to try some demons souls after lunch! Next gen is finally here, thank god now we can enjoy the games!

cormack12

Gold Member
Didn't even open it. Saw it on the dash, did this

tenor.gif

Deleted it.

MagnesG

Banned
Now the real question would be whether it is possible to develop a full game using these gimmicks while staying fresh for long hours (15h++).

MagnesG

Banned
They did this on PSVR : Astro was part of a VR demo just like the PS5 one.
They made a full game out of it, which happen to be the best PSVR game ever released.
Only around 7 hours for main and 12 hours for full completion.

Jadsey

What a truly beautiful game this is.

I am blown away that they have given a 10/10 game as free pack in title.

It’s right up there with GoT and Hades as my game of the year.

Then I’m playing Demons Souls.

What a time to be alive!

(if you‘re a PS5 and Switch owner)

Entroyp

I just platinum’d this gem this morning. What a charming and fun ride it was. Full with nostalgia and laughter.

If we ever get a full blown AAA Astro I will be there day at $69.99 😂

Last edited:

RNG

It's a pretty decent pack-in game and does a good job at showing off the controllers new haptic feedback capabilities, although it's a bit too easy for me. Best part was the rock climbing section with the monkey, really does a good job at showing off the triggers there. The game is an indoctrination of the Playstation brand lol.

Reactions: Isa

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It really is! I had some time with it yesterday at a friends house and it is super polished and a lot of fun

#Phonepunk#

Banned
EU friends bout to discover some real hidden gems

this game is so wonderful. im glad i have something so nice and light to switch to in between turns at Demon's.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
It was easy and I’ve nearly platinumed it but some parts were tricky as hell. I had to do a few of the bosses a number of times especially the last one. No spoilers but that was epic! Booted up Demons Souls for an hour earlier, good god that is amazing.

pixelation

I just platinum’d this gem this morning. What a charming and fun ride it was. Full with nostalgia and laughter.

If we ever get a full blown AAA Astro I will be there day at $69.99 😂
Dude... your avatar reminds me of an episode of Community (I saw last night), the one where they designed the flag... but the background was pink. Is your avatar a reference to that?

Entroyp

Dude... your avatar reminds me of an episode of Community (I saw last night), the one where they designed the flag... but the background was pink. Is your avatar a reference to that?

Interesting, but no, it’s the symbol for entropy. I have to watch that episode now 😅

Last edited:

McCheese

Really nice little pack in title, but nowhere near as good as the VR game.

It's really hard going back to flat platforming as it lacks the sense of presence and scale the VR title had in spades.

Folks who love this really owe it to themselves to try the VR game.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Most next gen game I've played so far. Not just the audio design and controller features, the way you access the game. You could be doing something else, get a notification a friend just beat your speed run time on the leaderboards and from that notification, launch directly into the level and be playing in less than 3 seconds.

I hope this gen ushers in the death of the main menu.

aclar00

Plat 171 and my first PS5 plat

C1c1aZg.jpg

Geez, i have Zero. Just dont have the drive for the grinding stuff or second play throughs or the skills for some games. I consider myself having a decent trophy level. Level 13 by the old standards and 200 and something now.

MiguelItUp

People really should give it a chance, I mean, it's free, what do you have to lose?

I thought it was going to be a glorified tech demo, and it was a lot more than that. Honestly it's an incredible celebration of Playstation's history littered with all forms of easter eggs. It's pretty brilliant.

Really nice little pack in title, but nowhere near as good as the VR game.

It's really hard going back to flat platforming as it lacks the sense of presence and scale the VR title had in spades.

Folks who love this really owe it to themselves to try the VR game.

I thought Rescue Mission was highly overrated. I bought it last black friday for cheap after hearing a bunch of praise on this site and others. Played an hour or so and thought it was just ok. Didn't seem like it needed to be a VR game with the way they positioned the camera imo. Loved RE Vll vr , and The walking dead SaS . Resucue mission seemed too gimmicky and vr shoehorned into it for me.

I bet I may enjoy this one more since it's not in vr and I can just enjoy some platforming and feeling out the new controller features.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It’s funny I was just playing Odyssey after finishing 3D All Stars. I wouldn’t put this on the same level as those but it is damn fine doing its own thing and absolutely ruling with one of the best launch titles ever.

Playing Odyssey I wished Nintendo would release a Switch Pro and convert that into 4K it would instantly look great. Then along comes this beauty and it’s like I’m living in the future! Full 4K next gen platformer! Beautiful. The 3D renders of old Playdtation tech alone are jaw dropping.

Im playing right now. I enjoyed it on launch day but had no idea there was so much content here! Love this fucking game so much!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ah I should be playing Demon’s Souls but I’m still playing this! Once you start it is hard to put down. So many rewards for playing! Best launch game of all time.

Why don’t more companies do this, hire someone to make a game that is a tech demo/ console mascot for each system?

Rarely has that been attempted, I guess Mario 64 and some other Miyamoto games were designed alongside the hardware, but nobody has ever gone this meta with a launch title, have they? There are freakin controller buttons as platforms in this game. And those gorgeous 3D renderings. It’s really satisfying as a customer tbh!

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Its one of the best game of the year, believe it.

In fact I wanted to try this for about 5 minutes to check the Dualsense gimmicks and planning to buy DMCV and DeS when I hooked up my PS5.

Let me tell you I've put about 5 hours into this now and still didn't buy a game. Its really, really good. One of the best and most fun platform games I have ever played and Astrobot VR is up there as well. Playroom throws a barrage of nostalgia in your face and does it ingenious. As a pure platform game, I think its better than Astrobot VR.

Also Game Help really works. I instantly loaded up some incomplete levels and added the walkthrough for a few pieces I didn't find. No more youtube.

The soundtrack. Holy shit man its good. S.S.D. S.S.D!

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Great pack in, and an awesome little game. Can someone who's played Rescue Mission AND this kind of talk about the similarities and differences in the games? Is Rescue Mission essentially this kind of gameplay but locked behind a bulky, cord-laden headset?

waquzy

The game is very imaginative and it’s like playing in a massive PlayStation museum. I love all the little details.

Top Bottom