• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review Thread

Good reviews, looks like its going to be a fun grab for when I'm on break this Christmas. By then most of the launch bugs should be ironed out.

killroy87

I just dont understand who those fans are. Its been the exact same thing for 9 games year after year (not counting handheld versions). I mean, how much of the same wash and repeat gameplay can somebody stomach?

I really don't understand why some games, like sports or racing titles, can get passes in this regard, but games like CoD and Ass Creed are put over the fire. Especially when any two CoDs or Creed games are miles different from each other than Forza 5 and 6 are.

If you like something, then just play it. If you don't feel like you want more, then don't.

AC/DC has made a very long, successful career sticking to one brand of rock.

How are the Finishing move animations? Are they more varied like the older AC games?

Seeing how you only have a knife, cane and fist knuckles are the animations all the same in every encounter?

There's a really cool one with Evie and her cane that's unique to that weapon. I haven't played enough yet to get tired of the finishers. The walk by instakill animations are still pretty generic, but the combat ones are really cool

Quick

Banned
I cancelled my pre-order this morning before the reviews came out, and despite the scores, I think I'll wait for a sale. I'm still feeling the burn from buying Unity on release, and I still have AC Rogue to finish, along with some backlog anyway.

Tovarisc

It still ran smoother than the last gen games.

Not setting that bar very high, eh? :D

Some of that Unity release footage has burned into my brain, we are talking about almost being able to count rendered frames when running around in PS4 version. That was just... such disaster.

Fliesen

Uglier than unity means this is a sale purchase

seeing as Unity was "too pretty for its own good" i wouldn't mind a drop in IQ for the sake of consistent performance.

I'm waiting for the DF verdict.

looks like half of the reviewers have received their paycheck and half dont

looks like you didn't pay attention to what happened to people who do driveby posts like this in this thread. :/

I play them all. I like them. I don't talk about AC on GAF because all GAF seems to do is shit on them, and that's not fun.

Same here. Thought Unity was great and have this one pre-ordered, but the rush to denigrate this game makes me not even want to check the threads. I've seen this with a lot of games lately that I've thought were amazing. I'm honestly not sure why this seems to be a trend these days.

nib95

Banned
Didn't see this earlier but:

Anita's/Femminist Frequency's Review

Thought it was fantastic and the only review that I've cared to watch at this point.

This is actually a solid review. It's quite interesting getting her take on things, and it's obvious Ubisoft did make changes to deal with earlier complaints about female representation.

I just dont understand who those fans are. Its been the exact same thing for 9 games year after year (not counting handheld versions). I mean, how much of the same wash and repeat gameplay can somebody stomach?

When somebody else steps up and delivers big-budget experiences in the historical fiction genre, that transport players to times and locations games rarely go, maybe people like me who play the game annually will feel moved to try other options. :D

For right now, what other series is letting my walk and climb around the Middle East during the Crusades? Or Renaissance Italy? Or the American frontier? Or Revolutionary France? Or Victorian England?

Fardeen

i'm pleasantly suprised the game got such good reviews from major sites. will wait for the pc version, if the story is amazing and characters awesome, i will really be suprised

Kaswa101

So what's the consensus on the story? IGN flat-out says that the ending is terrible. For those who have played it, how disappointed am I going to be? :p

When somebody else steps up and delivers big-budget experiences in the historical fiction genre, that transport players to times and locations games rarely go, maybe people like me who play the game annually will feel moved to try other options. :D

For right now, what other series is letting my walk and climb around the Middle East during the Crusades? Or Renaissance Italy? Or the American frontier? Or Revolutionary France? Or Victorian England?

None, and this is the biggest reason for me to get the A.C. games. I love being able to run around the locations and time periods represented in these games.

Daft_Cat

I don't mean to pile on bullshit meta-commentary, but I've also spent a decent amount of time with the game, so that's exactly what I'm going to do. I imagine that if people weren't so down on the series, this game would've scored, on average, a full point higher. I.E 85-90, rather than 75-80. Still, I must admit that I'm pleasantly surprised by the reviews. I was expecting the general malaise to sway opinions more than it has. That's just my take though; could be wrong.

Game seems hella polished and very solid overall. Black Flag was a bit of a one-off in terms of structure and gameplay, but as far as the more "typical" Assassin's Creed games go, this is almost inarguably the best since Brotherhood. I think people will be pleasantly surprised by how "unfatigued" this feels, especially if you've skipped out on the last installment or two (and even if you've kept up on an annual basis -- it's still a huge jump on Unity).

DOWN

Banned
Is this uglier than Unity on consoles only, or in general?

Curious because I'll likely be playing it on PC, and Unity looked very nice
It's worse all over. It doesn't use the better lighting and global illumination of Unity in exchange for attempting weaker lighting in real time like older games such as Black Flag
Being a better game that runs smoother holds no weight for you? Besides, it still looks pretty nice from what I can see.
No, I'm not into game sequels somehow looking worse than predecessors in prior release seasons

SpotAnime

I cancelled my pre-order this morning before the reviews came out, and despite the scores, I think I'll wait for a sale. I'm still feeling the burn from buying Unity on release, and I still have AC Rogue to finish, along with some backlog anyway.

I was in the same boat. I had cancelled my pre-order but then was so close to reordering this AM to get the BB $10 pre-order cert, but I still have Unity and Rogue to play.

And I still want to see how the PC version of Syndicate turns out, since if ported correctly that should be the best version.

part of me wants to go ahead and pick up Unity on PC (it's about $23) but the other part of me says to wait and see if the price drops more once Syndicate comes out...$19.99 is the lowest it's been so I dunno if they'll always just stop there or go the sub $15 level

antitrop

part of me wants to go ahead and pick up Unity on PC (it's about $23) but the other part of me says to wait and see if the price drops more once Syndicate comes out...$19.99 is the lowest it's been so I dunno if they'll always just stop there or go the sub $15 level

I bought Black Flag off PSN for $15 a few weeks ago (and Unity for $30, I think), AC games do go that low.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Telegraph (4/10) and Videogamer (5/10) are both London-based too

So it's actually good?

I'm English and thought AC3 was one of the best AC's in the series

I didn't say it like it was an ironclad law. Both reviews I think mentioned how much fun it was to stomp around in their backyards. I've been to London once, it was swell, but I think some of those details and fun would be lost on those for whom London is not their backyard.

Bumhead

Banned
Huh, actually surprised by so many good reviews after this was the fall game rumored to be a mess.

To be fair, that original discussion about a fall game being a mess was from Videogamer.com and they gave the game a 5/10, so that probably tallies up. At least from their perspective.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself in the continued hope they weren't talking about Fallout.

Nice reviews, but none of the gameplay footage I've seen has looked even halfway interesting.

I'm going to go by my own lying eyes for this one ;p

gossi

To be fair, that original discussion about a fall game being a mess was from Videogamer.com and they gave the game a 5/10, so that probably tallies up. At least from their perspective.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself in the continued hope they weren't talking about Fallout.

They were probably talking about Tony Hawk. It was not an industry secret that it was shipping unfinished.

Fbh

Surprisingly good reviews.

Might pick it up once it's $20 or less. Still seems to similar to the regular AC formula for my taste.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It's worse all over. It doesn't use the better lighting and global illumination of Unity in exchange for attempting weaker lighting in real time like older games such as Black Flag
lol, way to just bias the hell out of that.... lol...

to put it much more fairly... gone are the extremely detailed but STATIC light maps and missing day/night cycles of Unity, in exchange for less detailed DYNAMIC lighting with passing day/night cycles.

One is objectively not weaker/worse than the other. You may have a preference, but both have their own merits and detriments. In an open world game, non-dynamic day/night cycles do a lot to pull me out of it. In more cinematic, linear, scene-driven games it adds a ton of detail, and the timeline is fixed anyway so it doesn't matter. But in a true open world I'll give up that detail for something like the below any day of the week.

https://youtu.be/pROWml_4sYQ

MUnited83

For you.
looks like half of the reviewers have received their paycheck and half dont

I love how this review thread destroyed some people's brains. Yiu guys were so against this game and were so sure that it would suck that you literally can't believe anything else.

Qblivion

as someone who hasn't liked an ac since brotherhood and vastly prefers the modern day scifi stuff to the historical story is there anything for me in this game?

I skipped Unity in favour of Rogue (which wasn't a bad game at all, maybe a bit too by-the-numbers after Black Flag) last year, but from what I've seen, I might actually check out Syndicate, there's a bit of a lull for me in terms of good time-waster games at the moment, something I think an AC game might do well to remedy.

kvothe

I wasn't too worried about this game being a glitch fiesta, but I did think that it would probably be a bit dull considering how dull the locale looked. Watching the Giant Bomb quick look stirred some weird nostalgic emotions within me for this game. I've never been a huge Assassin's Creed fan, but for some reason I felt drawn back to the gameplay after watching the QL. Here's to hoping that I don't buy it any time soon.

SomTervo

This sounds really good, especially the combat responsiveness. Traversal improved too? I found I was constantly battling to get Arno to do what I wanted, especially around windows.

From what I've heard, traversal is better in this than in Unity. Including a window button.

Wow, Evie's acting and writing seems excellent. Wow. (I watched a few minutes of cutscene footage.) Jacob is clearly portrayed as an idiot.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
From what I've heard, traversal is better in this than in Unity. Including a window button.

Climbing in windows wasn't obvious enough in Unity, but once you figured it out (you have to hold the crouch button while moving towards the window), it worked pretty consistently. But yeah, obviousness is what's key here.

Karak

Wow, Evie's acting and writing seems excellent. Wow. (I watched a few minutes of cutscene footage.) Jacob is clearly portrayed as an idiot.

Ya they are both done well. Jacobs portrayal is actually well done as it shows why he is the way he is rather than just "idiot"

w0s

Even more sold than before. Come on sale in two weeks!

Top Bottom