• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review Thread

Goddammit why did have to review well?!?!
I was so clear on buying divinity..
november is a mess already (old hunters+fallout+battlefront) and im trying to save for feb's slaughter.
dammit dammit dammit.

I will probably pick this up later. Between Halo and Fallout I won't have much time for it but I want to check it out at some point. It is good to see a bunch of good reviews.

Ralemont

not me
You know, overall I have enjoyed what I played of this series.

But I haven't played one all the way through since 2. I have played some of the others here and there. Honestly the convoluted plot between the Assassin's/Templars and all the future stuff just became too much to follow.

My question is: do loyal fans of this series care? Do you try to follow that plot thread or just ignore it all? I'm a bit OCD so I almost feel as if I would be missing out on something if I just jump into this after skipping so many entries.

The current day plot thread has been absent since 3. Just read a plot summary of what you learn in 3 if you're worried about missing something.

I simply do not trust most major outlets to review an AC game. AC3, that buggy, mess of a game has a 85 metacritic score.

The VideogamerTV review told me all I needed to know: Brainless AI, buggy, continued shoddy stealth mechanics. Basically nothing has changed. Whatever features they add dont mean much when the foundation of the game is shit.

I mean, it took 7 AC games before they added in a way to get down from buildings without just jumping off and the AI hasnt been improved....well, ever as far as I can tell (last AC game I played was Black Flag.)

The thing that frustrates me the most about this series is, these are games I should enjoy. I love history, I really enjoy SP story driven games, and I adore stealth games; its just this series continues to disappoint of almost every front year after year with no improvements.

killroy87

november is a mess already (old hunters+fallout+battlefront) and im trying to save for feb's slaughter.
dammit dammit dammit.

just...wait two months for Syndicate to drop in price? Ubi games sink like a stone, they seem to print about 3 billion of the things.

It sucks that reviewers are so negative these days and waiting for the first occasion to bash a game. I hope reviews become good again one day.

honestly im seeing some take it way too lightly , most of them that score it high dont even address bugs and performance.
theyre just 'its good its fun.. please like it.. we do too.'

Johndoey

Banned
Sorry, innovation was the wrong word to use even though Underrale does have some of that. Those three other games improve on what made those franchises great like a bigger world it multiple endings, better stealth and more options to take out your enemy and faster paced combat and parrying with a gun.
Okay I do see what your saying those games did what they did almost perfectly.

This is one of the craziest range of reviews I've seen in a while. Like some people absolutely love it and other reviews just bash it to hell

I'm confused

AdanVC

Talk about a nice comeback. I knew this game was going to be way better than Unity by watching early impression videos. Graphics and gameplay particularly look more polished than Unity.

Drewfonse

I simply do not trust most major outlets to review an AC game. AC3, that buggy, mess of a game has a 85 metacritic score.

The VideogamerTV review told me all I needed to know: Brainless AI, buggy, continued shoddy stealth mechanics. Basically nothing has changed. Whatever features they add dont mean much when the foundation of the game is shit.

I mean, it took 7 AC games before they added in a way to get down from buildings without just jumping off and the AI hasnt been improved....well, ever as far as I can tell (last AC game I played was Black Flag.)

The thing that frustrates me the most about this series is, these are games I should enjoy. I love history, I really enjoy SP story driven games, and I adore stealth games; its just this series continues to disappoint of almost every front year after year with no improvements.

That's just one review. There are other reviews from smaller to mid sized sites that praise the game. Is there a reason that review resonates with you?

iNvid02

that feminist frequency review showed a woman guard, i think they have finally overcome the male only enemies roadblock

Listening to the Videogamer podcast now has Steve Burns made a appearance in this thread?

if you check his twitter you know burns is lurking in the shadows

takriel

This is one of the craziest range of reviews I've seen in a while. Like some people absolutely love it and other reviews just bash it to hell

I'm confused
easy: some took the money, some didn't ;-)

nah, I really might have to check this out once a sale hits.

nib95

Banned

This isn't some conspiracy concerning just AC. So many games have been let off for bugs, issues and glitches, from Battlefield 4, Master Chief Collection, Skyrim, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed, Witcher 3 and so on. Hell Oblivion on the PS3 was one of the worst technical abominations in the history of releases, and yet that version sits at 93 on Metacritic. These issues are just part and parcel of review culture and the industry in general.

I actually think Syndicate has been judged pretty fairly. Often times overall fun factor can override glitches or game design issues, so bare that in mind too.

just...wait two months for Syndicate to drop in price? Ubi games sink like a stone, they seem to print about 3 billion of the things.

or they do something stupid and are forced to give it away for free lol

in any case, maybe its time i trade in my mgs v copy.
this should last for two weeks tops so ill definitely find time to beat it till fallout is out. at which point ill trade it in again.

cant wait for december.
i doubt ill find time to play this in the midst of just cause and battlefront,
i can always pick up divinity on pc for free since i had bought the first one thought he performance isnt that great on my pc and lack the of controller support made me quit 10hrs in.
id have built my new rig by dec/jan so things should ease up for me by them, and feb should be less of a massacre if i can ind cheap deals on steam.

That's just one review. There are other reviews from smaller to mid sized sites that praise the game. Is there a reason that review resonates with you?

Im still going through some of the other reviews but none of them so far have addressed the base problems with the gameplay in AC. Like I said, the AI, lack of stealth, cumbersome controls. VideoGamerTV is the only one that mentioned any of these and it sounds like not much has changed.

FloorEssence

Neo Member
dammit dammit dammit.

78 metascore is reviewed well?

Better things to do with your time imo, unless you're a huge AC fan

This isn't some conspiracy concerning just AC. So many games have been let off for bugs, issues and glitches, from Battlefield 4, Master Chief Collection, Skyrim, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed, Witcher 3 and so on. Hell Oblivion on the PS3 was one of the worst technical abominations in the history of releases, and yet that version sits at 93 on Metacritic. These issues are just part and parcel of review culture and the industry in general.

I actually think Syndicate has been judged pretty fairly.
Think you mean Skyrim, not Oblivion.

Also, it's really refreshing to see a game be so divisive with critics.

Wow, reviewing better than I thought it would. Shame about the PC release being so far out, though. I would have picked this up today for PC, but by November I'll have tons of games to play. Steam sale ahoy!

78 Meta is fine, thats an overall solid game.

Not every game needs to be a 9 or 10

Reading a bit more on even the negative reviews the overall consensus seems to be its much better than Unity and has a good story

rogue74

The current day plot thread has been absent since 3. Just read a plot summary of what you learn in 3 if you're worried about missing something.

Wow. I didn't know that. I might look into playing this.

Were the technical issues with Unity ever fixed BTW?

MrHoot

The only thing i've seen about positive reviews is that they praise it mostly either for mundane reasons "Oh it's functional (geez, thank god for that, it's not a broken pile of shit this time, better up the score)" "Victorian london is really pretty, it plays well, the sound design is good". You know, stuff you'd at least expect from a team of thousands because otherwise you'd be thinking what the hell they're doing.

But most also kinda confirm what the series has been since post-2: A formulaic machine of collectioning inside glorified diaromas and shit AI with characters so bland they might be represented by litteral tools, which has put the expectations so low that people with little standards or imagination are basically just happy that it works, looks pretty and has nice presentation, regardless that it's been the exact same thing for the last 10 games now.

Of course it's average is pretty normal around 7-8. You can't really rate it lower. It's perfectly serviceable. But that's what it's basically come down to: serviceable. It's part of the furniture in the gaming scene. As long as it's clean and the drawers open with sometimes different cutlery, people will go "Yeah good enough"

Okay I do see what your saying those games did what they did almost perfectly.

But they added new stuff as well, Bloodborne was a faster Dark Souls with guns for parrying

MGSV added a whole bunch of new features like horses and partners for taking out your enemies.

Arkham Knight added the Batmobile which adds another aspect of exploring Gotham.

Witcher 3 adds a mass world split into sections with each one having their own story, not to mention the new playable character who controls differently and has her own story.

AC:S other than the zipline and two playable characters who I heard control the same, the game just seems to be the same as the other ones. I think the franchise needs a break.

Kinyou

AC probably needs to let the "likeable rogue" archetype rest for a while. Lots of people seem to be annoyed with Jacob.

Hoje0308

Banned
Im still going through some of the other reviews but none of them so far have addressed the base problems with the gameplay in AC. Like I said, the AI, lack of stealth, cumbersome controls. VideoGamerTV is the only one that mentioned any of these and it sounds like not much has changed.

Slasher mentioned in his review that fans will be happy and those who've never been or have tired of it likely won't change their minds with this release. Every game has its flaws of course, and those that you've mentioned seem to be easy for fans of the series to overlook, so long as they get to play the part of an overpowered assassin in historical locations.

im bored as f*** .not an ac fan but i generally like 3rd person action adventure.
problem is havent really bought anything on ps4 since mgs.(imported zestiria and dq heroes long back)

haikira

Been keeping an open mind for this release, and Eurogamer giving it a recommendation may have been just the push I need. Doubt I'll be picking it up soon, mostly because there's no way I could afford both this and Halo 5, but I can see myself at least picking up Syndicate before the year is out.

I'm glad to hear impressions are off to a good start. I've been seriously burnt out of the series, like many around here I think, but I certainly haven't been sitting hoping for another stumble. Quite the opposite actually.

FloorEssence

Neo Member
78 is a totally respectable score. If you're only playing games that high 80's and 90's, you're missing out on some gems.

Of course but I would say its at the level where if you're tired of the AC formula there's better things to do with your time. If you're not then this is an improvement from Unity. But even still, there's a lot to play currently and for me I think this can wait for a sale.

The Design Director from Saints Row 3 is the Game Director on AC Syndicate. Pretty surprised no press or reviews touch on this rad fact.

Guess this is a big reason why it's good. Uni should hire more volition people

Ralemont

not me
honestly im seeing some take it way too lightly , most of them that score it high dont even address bugs and performance.
theyre just 'its good its fun.. please like it.. we do too.'

But the reviews describe what they found fun. Fun isn't important in a game?

ironcreed

Banned
78 is a totally respectable score. If you're only playing games that high 80's and 90's, you're missing out on some gems.

People often complain about there not being enough solid 'B' tier titles that you sometimes end up enjoying more than all of the ultra-hyped '10/10, GOTY' titles. Well, here ya go. Not everything is strictly black or white. Come on over to the grey area and enjoy.

crinale

The only thing i've seen about positive reviews is that they praise it mostly either for mundane reasons "Oh it's functional (geez, thank god for that, it's not a broken pile of shit this time, better up the score)" "Victorian london is really pretty, it plays well, the sound design is good". You know, stuff you'd at least expect from a team of thousands because otherwise you'd be thinking what the hell they're doing.

But most also kinda confirm what the series has been since post-2: A formulaic machine of collectioning inside glorified diaromas and shit AI with characters so bland they might be represented by litteral tools, which has put the expectations so low that people with little standards or imagination are basically just happy that it works, looks pretty and has nice presentation, regardless that it's been the exact same thing for the last 10 games now.

Of course it's average is pretty normal around 7-8. You can't really rate it lower. It's perfectly serviceable. But that's what it's basically come down to: serviceable. It's part of the furniture in the gaming scene. As long as it's clean and the drawers open with sometimes different cutlery, people will go "Yeah good enough"

I don't see what's wrong with that.

Standards have dropped so far for AC that a 78 is being praised. It would be doom amd gloom if Halo 5, Rise Of The Tomb Raider, Fallout 4 or Battlefront get the same scores. I'm not saying 78 is bad at all, but it's not exactly a return to glory either.

FloorEssence

Neo Member
78, is pretty much an 8/10, which to most sane people, an 8/10 means its a pretty good game.

I swear, this is the only place where i have heard 8/10 = bad.

Considering how inflated review scores for games often are (its pretty much 5-10 instead of 1-10, with only really shocking titles going below 5), then I think this sits about average, especially for a AAA game. Not bad by any means, just not critically acclaimed. I was replying to a guy who seemed to have a tone of games to play, so my comment was more 'the reviews aren't THAT great, it can probably wait til next year,' I never said it wasn't worth playing.

Kaswa101

We obviously played different games. His original goal was to get rich to get back to his wife. As the story went on and people were dying around him, he understood that the life he lead was not one he wanted for his kid, or something that he didn't want to be known for from his children.

Which is why by the end of the game he wasn't obsessed with getting rich.

Over the next few years, Edward struggled with the internal conflict that arose from his desire for fame and riches - through finding the Observatory - and his duty to his friends. After losing nearly all of his closest friends, he realized the folly of his quest for glory. He then joined the Assassin Order, hunted down the Templars in the region and entrusted the Observatory to the Assassins.

After a decade in the West Indies, Edward returned to Britain and received a pardon from Robert Walpole. He soon acquired an estate in London and married Tessa Stephenson-Oakley, with whom he fathered a son named Haytham. Continuing his work as an Assassin, Edward researched the First Civilization, and kept the research in a journal. In 1735, he was killed by mercenaries in the employ of Templar Grand Master Reginald Birch, in order to acquire the journal. Haytham would later father Ratonhnhaké:ton; through this line, Edward is an ancestor of William Miles, and his son, Desmond.

That's from the wiki, and I remember the ending of black flag since i played it twice.

So like I said the game was about his character arc, and it's one that I thought like Ezio's had a great end to it.

I feel the same way. AC4 had the best character arc in the series imo, since it was a one-off and didn't feel overly long like Ezio's. I felt it capped off his story perfectly and had a couple of nice overarching messages and themes too. His development was awesome. Here's hoping the Fryes get something similar. :)

Toa TAK

Banned
Didn't see this earlier but:

Anita's/Femminist Frequency's Review

Thought it was fantastic and the only review that I've cared to watch at this point.

Top Bottom