• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins is getting 60 FPS support on PS5 and XSX/S starting June 2

rofif

Banned
I'd love to revisit this as the setting is incredible but I hit a point in the main story where the next quest was like 5 levels above the one I just completed meaning I'd have to go grind out 5 or more levels doing boring shite just so I can't continue the main quest and I just give up.. I hate when games do that, some games I just wanna play the main quest as the side quests are uninteresting especially with the cookie cutter shit that fills out the Ass Creed games.. and yeah the store had buyable xp boosters ffs, might redownload for a looksie see if it sparks anything in me
This was my issue with horizon forbidden west exactly even though I was doing some side stuff. But my comfortable amount was not enough.
Zero dawn I don’t remember having this problem.
But I just switched to easy on forbidden west to avoid grind… are there difficulty settings in origins? I’ve got it still sealed…

Mr Moose

so sightly higher average resolution on SX, and I assume the SX version runs higher settings given that it is based on the One X version(?)
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2017-assassins-creed-origins-performance-analysis
The title's visual feature set is essentially identical across all platforms - there are the same core art assets, identical anti-aliasing and very similar effects work and shadow quality. Very early tests on Xbox One possibly suggests that extreme distance detail may be slightly cut, but otherwise, there's very little to tell each version apart - Ubisoft clearly doesn't want to short-change any user.
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2017-assassins-creed-origins-xbox-one-x-analysis
Beyond scalability in pixel counts, Xbox One X does throw up one or two enhancements. While draw distance and LODs seem to be the same as PlayStation 4 Pro, the extra pixel count has a benefit on texture filtering, which adds extra detail to artwork and brings the Microsoft hardware more into line with PC. Running the game on high-end PC hardware opens up maximum shadow resolution and pushes out the cascade further into the distance. For its part, Xbox One X sits at a kind of midway point between PC's best and the standard set by PS4 Pro. One curious anomaly concerns ambient occlusion - by and large it looks the same across all three systems, but there are select scenarios that see heavier halo artefacts on Xbox One X.

DRS is not aggressive enough on Xbox machines. There are plenty of drops in cutscenes.

ssPvULL.png

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Might pick one of these up,which is considered the best of all the recent ones?
Origins is my personal favorite. It has the best story and open world. It has the best environments. You completely feel like you have travelled back in time to Egypt. Odyssey has a very copy and pasty feel. You would have no idea you were in Greece without the game telling you. Valhalla does better in that regard but also suffers from bloat. All 3 are worth playing in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Huh? Compared to what?
Look at the doors in the distance. VGTech also says it and DF. Its not clear as day but I see it now and again on ambient occlusion and shadows here and there.

Another example. See the statues, to the right of them there's a pot with a barrier/ fence on One X and northing yet on others.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Look at the doors in the distance. VGTech also says it and DF. Its not clear as day but I see it now and again on ambient occlusion and shadows here and there.

Another example. See the statues, to the right of them there's a pot with a barrier/ fence on One X and northing yet on others.

This is what DF said: While draw distance and LODs seem to be the same as PlayStation 4 Pro
And this isn't Odyssey, it's Origins.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
This is what DF said: While draw distance and LODs seem to be the same as PlayStation 4 Pro
And this isn't Odyssey, it's Origins.
Yes sorry wrong video but they're not the on those videos.

Look at the doors in the distance when the eagle fly's they are black on SS PS5 but they are drawn in on SX.

Example, Bush just being drawn in on SX by the 2nd brick pillar. PS5 drawn in later. it is hard to spot but its here and there.

Look at the what I can only describe as a flower bed with a palm tree in it. Something appears before on Sx. Put it on 0.25 playback speed to see it better.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This game is such a treat after playing 70 hours of Valhalla a couple of weeks ago.

I bought Origins for PS4 at launch, finished it, played a bit on pc and am now replaying it on PS5. The difference between Origins and Valhalla is remarkable. Gameplay, narrative, mission design, world design, loot, main character, the sandbox world rules, everything is superior in Origins. Valhalla feels like a regression in almost every way. As if it was not feature complete and they had to cut corners.

Origins has a pristine fairytale quality to it. Immediately you are engrossed in this otherworldly Egypt. Beautifully rendered, amazing vistas everywhere you go. Ancient Egypt in all its splendor. It's just marvelous to just travel through this world.

Bayek is a good character and the narrative hook is simple yet perfect for an Assassin's Creed game - a group of men killed your kid and you are out for revenge. Simple, but extremely effective. Infinitely better than profoundly boring Ayvor just running around doing what Sigurd wants for 150 hours. Origins is a game about assassinating people. Wild concept for an Assassin's Creed game, they should do more with that in the sequel.

The gameplay is better, the loot system is INFINITELY better. What the fuck were they thinking in Valhalla, removing all the loot save for like 8 weapons. The skill upgrade path is well thought-out, where every upgrade unlocks a new ability. Compared to the absolutely insane upgrade path in Valhalla, it just boggles the mind how bad that one is.

Valhalla is a boring, unrewarding, bland, uninspiring experience. After 5 hours of playtime you have seen everything the game has to offer. It's filled to the brim with useless padding, has zero respect for the player's time. It plays bad, often looks surprisingly bad, it does have a killer soundtrack though. Bringing Jesper Kyd back after all these years was the right thing to do.

Anyway, I could probably write a ten-page essay on the differences and why Origins is superior. I'm super happy and thankful that Ubi took the time to release this patch, and I can only hope that a sequel is more akin to Origins than to Valhalla. Ubi, please.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes sorry wrong video but they're not the on those videos.

Look at the doors in the distance when the eagle fly's they are black on SS PS5 but they are drawn in on SX.

I think it's the higher resolution helping out resolve finer details here (or maybe there is a minor difference, who can say).

-

The black outfit you get for finishing the Mercenaries quest is fucking bad ass.

6-6-2022_10-46-55_am-mrjhn.png

Skifi28

Gold Member
This game is such a treat after playing 70 hours of Valhalla a couple of weeks ago.

I bought Origins for PS4 at launch, finished it, played a bit on pc and am now replaying it on PS5. The difference between Origins and Valhalla is remarkable. Gameplay, narrative, mission design, world design, loot, main character, the sandbox world rules, everything is superior in Origins. Valhalla feels like a regression in almost every way. As if it was not feature complete and they had to cut corners.

Origins has a pristine fairytale quality to it. Immediately you are engrossed in this otherworldly Egypt. Beautifully rendered, amazing vistas everywhere you go. Ancient Egypt in all its splendor. It's just marvelous to just travel through this world.

Bayek is a good character and the narrative hook is simple yet perfect for an Assassin's Creed game - a group of men killed your kid and you are out for revenge. Simple, but extremely effective. Infinitely better than profoundly boring Ayvor just running around doing what Sigurd wants for 150 hours. Origins is a game about assassinating people. Wild concept for an Assassin's Creed game, they should do more with that in the sequel.

The gameplay is better, the loot system is INFINITELY better. What the fuck were they thinking in Valhalla, removing all the loot save for like 8 weapons. The skill upgrade path is well thought-out, where every upgrade unlocks a new ability. Compared to the absolutely insane upgrade path in Valhalla, it just boggles the mind how bad that one is.

Valhalla is a boring, unrewarding, bland, uninspiring experience. After 5 hours of playtime you have seen everything the game has to offer. It's filled to the brim with useless padding, has zero respect for the player's time. It plays bad, often looks surprisingly bad, it does have a killer soundtrack though. Bringing Jesper Kyd back after all these years was the right thing to do.

Anyway, I could probably write a ten-page essay on the differences and why Origins is superior. I'm super happy and thankful that Ubi took the time to release this patch, and I can only hope that a sequel is more akin to Origins than to Valhalla. Ubi, please.
Couldn't agree more. People can criticize individual elements of the game compared to the newer entries of the franchise, but there's no other game with the sense of place Origins gives the player, AC or otherwise.

Stuart360

The cutscenes on PC would usually be around 20% more gpu usage compared to gameplay. So its obvious Ubi optimized this update for the gameplay, but didnt really do anything seperate for the cutscenes.
Not too bad really for an update to an old game, and something they didnt have to do.

Couldn't agree more. People can criticize individual elements of the game compared to the newer entries of the franchise, but there's no other game with the sense of place Origins gives the player, AC or otherwise.

Origins feels like your in a dream. Travelling across the sand at night, hearing voices and music from out of nowhere, finding a Spinhx for a deadly riddle.

Man it's just incredible.

Shmunter

Looks great at 60 on ps5. Finally bothering to play it.

Trying to mainline it as much as possible because it’s likely sufficient in length and I don’t have time for busy work.

However I’m level gated instantly and each time from approaching the main missions ffs. Not sure if I can muster the will to continue.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I agree with this completely. Origins felt like I was taking a tour of Roman-Era Egypt. Despite being mostly desert, each location was distinct and recognizable. Cyrene, Alexandria, Siwa, Giza and Memphis all felt unique. Odyssey had a copy and paste problem, where each location failed to stand out on it's own. Valhalla was better in that regard, but couldn't quite find the magic of Origins

Pet peeve of mine:
The game did not take place in Ancient Egypt, which ended at around 330 BC.

The game took place in the Roman-ruled Ptolemaic Period of Egypt 45-ish BC. Just a minor correction. :)

adamsapple

PSA for Xbox and Game Pass players.

The Deluxe edition upgrade is also free along with the game on game pass.

The Deluxe Pack includes: -

The Ambush at Sea mission -
The Desert Cobra pack (Including 1 outfit, 2 legendary weapons, 1 legendary shield and 1 mount) -
3 Ability points

PSA for Xbox and Game Pass players.

The Deluxe edition upgrade is also free along with the game on game pass.

[/URL]

The Deluxe Pack includes: -

The Ambush at Sea mission -
The Desert Cobra pack (Including 1 outfit, 2 legendary weapons, 1 legendary shield and 1 mount) -
3 Ability points
Do you start the game with the bonuses or do I need to google when/how to access them in the game?

yamaci17

The cutscenes on PC would usually be around 20% more gpu usage compared to gameplay. So its obvious Ubi optimized this update for the gameplay, but didnt really do anything seperate for the cutscenes.
Not too bad really for an update to an old game, and something they didnt have to do.
its their heavily tuned depth of field effect for cutscenes
same story in ac odyssey. disable depth of field, boom, gpu usage reduced in cutscenes,

relevant bit at 15:00

if u like the effect, i think it is irrevelant getting frame drops in cutscenes... its a cutscene ...

Last edited:

adamsapple

Do you start the game with the bonuses or do I need to google when/how to access them in the game?

Things like the extra mission and unlockable outfits will unlock not long after starting the story. I'm assuming the 3 extra ability points will be added to your inventory when you get access to that as well.

You need to have finished the 1st story mission and the small first present day segment to have access to all those things if I'm not mistaken.

But if you already have a save in the middle of the game, you can still download it now. You will get a notification that new DLC has been detected and you need to go back to the title screen and reload the save, and it should all be in your inventory afterward.

rofif

Banned
I got the game on disc (it was like 10 euro) and since the season pass is on sale today, I also got it from psn.
It's the horus and centurion (I guess cosmetics?), calamity blade and 500 helix points (oh god)... I never get season pass stuff.... But I want to give this AC stuff a fair chance since it's all on sale.
I guess I should not use 500 cash and the calamity blade sine it will break the game? And the two big dlc are now showing as free so I guess it's separate download.
Man.,.. psn UI sure makes it as confusing as can be.

btw - felt super weird and nostalgic in a good way to unpack a new ps4 game in 2022

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Pet peeve of mine:
The game did not take place in Ancient Egypt, which ended at around 330 BC.

The game took place in the Roman-ruled Ptolemaic Period of Egypt 45-ish BC. Just a minor correction. :)
Another nitpick: the ptolemaic period was greek (Ptolemaeus was a general of Alexander the Great), the Romans came later, around the time of the Game.
In the Game you can see some areas were still Greek and other already Roman.

Fools idol

Banned
I spent 140 hours on the PS4 version at 30fps to get plat when the game came out... and loved every second of it.

2 hours in to the PS5 60fps butter and I am seriously considering another platinum run. This is in my opinion peak assassins creed. It's fucking god tier graphically, I cant get over how nice the world is. Odyssey is good too but this is just another level at 60

actual assassinations and world traversal has never been done better imho.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Must have nuked the settings, honestly that place is a pain in the ass to run even on a 9900k in those area's.
which place specifically? i had no troubles getting a consistent 90+ fps with my ryzen 2700 from the tutorial fight to siwa.

i can even get 110 fps in alexandria at 3.7 ghz and 60 fps at 2.2 ghz

https://imgsli.com/MTExNTgy

console equivalent draw distance is used (medium env. details)

Last edited:

Kenpachii

which place specifically? i had no troubles getting a consistent 90+ fps with my ryzen 2700

Alexandria main city walking down the middle place, same goes for early place when u get out of the tomb and walk into the first village.

However origin had some cpu optimisation a few months ago, so maybe it got fixed.

This was on ultra settings tho, so there's that.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Alexandria main city walking down the middle place, same goes for early place when u get out of the tomb and walk into the first village.

However origin had some cpu optimisation a few months ago, so maybe it got fixed.

oh, mate, ps5/xsx definetely uses ps4/xbox one settings. its just a backwards fps unlock patch, so its very normal for them to run at locked 60 there

but they could do better, maybe. is my screenshot satisfy, at least on the 2700 front? ultra env. details are really tough on all CPUs. could probably shoot for high env. details myself

i will try high/ultra env. details, and see if i can get 60 fps

Last edited:
What the fuck were they thinking in Valhalla, removing all the loot save for like 8 weapons.
They removed it because it was trash and nobody liked it, it very quickly stops the game from being an assassination game, becoming a "hope my stats are high enough" loop, while you preface every encounter by taking out the bird and tiringly paint every enemy; valhalla's gameplay loop is infinitely superior for being able to assassinate anyone alone, not having to deal with the dumb bird shit or worrying about stats or which loot has more green arrows, like borderlands or whatever, is just the cherry on top.

Replaying origins on my xsx for the achievements, and while Egypt is a nice setting, I'm just making a beeline to the end with no stealth, because all the dumb stats and loot and bird gameplay is just getting the way.

Stuart360

The Alexandria main street is the hardest place to run in the game, but i find it had to believe that you had trouble with a 9900k. My old 6600k would hover around 50fps there, and my 6700k would be hovering around 60fps, and my 2700x and now my 3700x hover around 50-55% cpu usage at 60fps there.

Kenpachii

The Alexandria main street is the hardest place to run in the game, but i find it had to believe that you had trouble with a 9900k. My old 6600k would hover around 50fps there, and my 6700k would be hovering around 60fps, and my 2700x and now my 3700x hover around 50-55% cpu usage at 60fps there.

Oh it runs at 60 fps on a 9900k but it goes as low as 65 fps basically, and yes not all cores are used as its more on single core taxation, was just suprised to see rock solid 60 fps on those console cpu's.

Stuart360

Oh it runs at 60 fps on a 9900k but it goes as low as 65 fps basically, and yes not all cores are used as its more on single core taxation, was just suprised to see rock solid 60 fps on those console cpu's.
Ah right, got you. When you said 'pain on the arse to run' i thought you were talking like 40fps or so lol.

yamaci17

it definitely depends on env. detail setting, which is the main setting that determines the draw distance and the amount of objects. i very well remember my friend managed to get a consistent 60 fps lock on medium env. detail setting on his 4670k. we talked about this back then, we found it funny that some people were too hardheaded and simply didn't accept the compromise

i wouldn't call the game badly optimized, the medium setting still provides a decent draw distance and object amount. the higher settings are tweaked rather badly and blatantly, which is usually what happens when they design the game around the consoles and then port to PC. controversial settings like these should be omitted for the sake of users. if that setting was defaulted to medium and no one could tweak it, no one would speak about how badly optimized the game was, because then it would run optimally on most hardware

i used the same trick in odyssey (med env details) to get a perfect 60 fps on my i5 8400. anything set above high caused the fps to dump below 50 fps in athens, practically

ofc if you have the hardware for it ,you can always push them. i think those settings meant for future hardware.

update:

going ultra/high on env. details has lesser impact on 8 core config

when i set the game to only use 4 cores and 4 threads, situation is drastic;

ultra high env on 4/4
7S1BNvg.jpg

med env. details on 4/4

SHrQADS.jpg

i wont test in between settings.. too much of an hassle. restart everytime. too much loading times, despite having a decent ssd. no noo

Last edited:

adamsapple

I spent 140 hours on the PS4 version at 30fps to get plat when the game came out... and loved every second of it.

2 hours in to the PS5 60fps butter and I am seriously considering another platinum run. This is in my opinion peak assassins creed. It's fucking god tier graphically, I cant get over how nice the world is. Odyssey is good too but this is just another level at 60

actual assassinations and world traversal has never been done better imho.

Except some higher tiered enemies where the assassin blade is not insta kill, I absolutely love the open world stealth game play the new games bring.

Personally, I like Odyssey more cause the world is a lot more vibrant, but both Origins and Odyssey are much better than Valhalla for me.

Kerotan

It's all started at the beginning generation. People expected Series X destroyed ps5 on multiplat and it happened the contrary. Some psfan create such joke. Now every time Series X outperforms ps5, xboxfans resuse such meme as a sort of revenge, though it's weird see to use it from the same side who thought it's the normality for series X outperforms ps5.
And every time past has better performance it's used aswell. Basically everyone uses it.

Saiyan-Rox

Opening cutscene is a mess performance wise

Dropping to 30fps at times on ps5 hoping it doesn't happen on other cutscenes

sircaw

Banned
Just bought the game in a sale, only other one i played was the London one, hope this one is better.

T-Cake

Opening cutscene is a mess performance wise

Dropping to 30fps at times on ps5 hoping it doesn't happen on other cutscenes

I've had all sorts in my PS5 playthrough - judder, choppiness, frame drops. It's by no means a locked 60fps.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm finding the combat to not be nearly as much fun in Origins than Odyssey. Knowing when to parry is difficult. But stealth is better. I seem to remember that a lot of enemies couldn't be killed by stealth assassination in Odyssey and that bugged me. Hasn't been an issue here. I do wish the game gave you more than 9 predator arrows. I get it. It is a one shot kill sniper rifle basically. I love it though and I obviously use it too much.

b0uncyfr0

Ive found Origins is a much tighter experience than Odyssey.

The side quests are better, i've had some very memorable moments already.
The animations are better, You can tell odyssey was just copied over and thing's dont clip in as they should but Origins is much much better. This is one of my pet peeves with AC games.
The combat is better (i like the one on one vibe where the camera focusing in more). I like the shield also.
Steal and assassinations are better
The world feels more rich (its the little details like hallucinations in the desert)
Story is more 'serious'.

Overall, i'm not even half way through and i'd recommend this over Odyssey any day.

Top Bottom