• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins is getting 60 FPS support on PS5 and XSX/S starting June 2

Kathanan

You probably already knew about this.. but it is possible to play the game without a shield / bow and even totally unarmed.. just follow this guy's little guide no shield

sinnergy

you know when it runs at 60fps... I think that's a dead giveaway
you must be the most funniest guy in your house hold , anyway , I rather would have a pop up explaining it updated and that the game now runs 60 Hz default, that would be a good UX, I didn’t boot into the game .. as I had no time , also not that sensitive to 30 or 60 frames , but I prefer 60z

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Like I suspected, same as Odyssey, as this is just an FPS boost patch, Series X inherits the higher resolution from One X and load times are faster on Xbox as well.

272kdl.png

1qtkif.png

Flabagast

What a difference 60 FPS makes... I tried the game a couple of weeks on my PS5 and the 30 FPS killed it for me. Now it runs buttery smooth.

Also one thing I really like about this game: When you walk slowly the camera begins to zoom in on you. It almost gets to a point where the camera is as close as in God of war. This way you can see all the little awesome details of your armor. As soon as you start moving fast again, the camera zooms back out. Really cool little camera effect.
Yep the camera is so much better and immersive than the one of Odyssey

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Like I suspected, same as Odyssey, as this is just an FPS boost patch, Series X inherits the higher resolution from One X and load times are faster on Xbox as well.

272kdl.png

1qtkif.png

Yeah its still a BC+ title so Xbox versions generally do better due to inheriting X1X settings and their BC solution being slightly better so the SSD gets utilized better.

Banned
you must be the most funniest guy in your house hold , anyway , I rather would have a pop up explaining it updated and that the game now runs 60 Hz default, that would be a good UX, I didn’t boot into the game .. as I had no time , also not that sensitive to 30 or 60 frames , but I prefer 60z

I wasn't joking... you can literally tell the second you are in the menu

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Been running around cleaning up end game quest and it looks and runs great!

Kind of makes you wander why the last game didn’t run that great

Topher

Gold Member
Took them 2 years to release a back compat patch? Why? This is ridiculous. I expected 4K 60 max settings at minimum.

Thought yamaci17 yamaci17 already covered that pretty well....

not possible

some of you folk underestimate how badly unoptimized maxed settings are. they're useless most of the time, too

these settings would push series s back to 800p 60 fps from a pure, clean native 1080p 60 fps presentation

if you really believe the fidelity max settings is more important than clean, native resolution presentation... then that would explain why I would never get a console to begin with

Thought yamaci17 yamaci17 already covered that pretty well....
Ok high settings native 4K. How hard is it to unlock resolution? PS5 can easily handle that.

On PC in ACValhallia for example: [but pretty much any game has this simple same line]:

howhardisit.png

How different is it on console? On pc it takes ~20 seconds and they couldn't do it in 2 years for a console patch? Must be very hard work? I wouldn't know fyi, just very interested.

Last edited:

272kdl.png

1qtkif.png

This game has dynamic resolution, so now on XSX resulution is much higher (2160p) compared to Xbox One X (1800p most of the time). It looks like XSX GPU is over 2x GPU faster compared to Xbox One X GPU, because it can run AC origins with 2x framerate and it still has power left to increase resolution.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Enlight me?
It's all started at the beginning generation. People expected Series X destroyed ps5 on multiplat and it happened the contrary. Some psfan create such joke. Now every time Series X outperforms ps5, xboxfans resuse such meme as a sort of revenge, though it's weird see to use it from the same side who thought it's the normality for series X outperforms ps5.

Last edited:
It's all started at the beginning generation. People expected Series X destroyed ps5 on multiplat and it happened the contrary. Some psfan create such joke. Now every time Series X outperforms ps5, xboxfans resuse such meme as a sort of revenge, though it's weird see to use it from the same side who thought it's the normality to series X outperforms ps5.
What does any of this have to do with fps boosted last generation game dude? Maybe you take this stuff way too seriously. This surely hasn't impacted your love of the PS5 has it?

rofif

Banned
Ok high settings native 4K. How hard is it to unlock resolution? PS5 can easily handle that.

On PC in ACValhallia for example: [but pretty much any game has this simple same line]:

howhardisit.png

How different is it on console? On pc it takes ~20 seconds and they couldn't do it in 2 years for a console patch? Must be very hard work? I wouldn't know fyi, just very interested.
It's probably very similar on console.
I remember Cyberpunk did exactly that. If you imported xbox series save from PC, it also IMPORTED YOUR GRAPHICAL SETTINGS !!! Digital foundry covered it and it was really interesting.

I think that stuff like changing resolution and fps is probably legit 1 week of work. You submit new .ini file as a patch to sony for validation and that's it.
It is 100% mostly just a business decision to sell some more units.
Of course there are games with hard coded 30 animations or hard lock. Like bloodborne where it is more work than flipping 0 to 1.

But for these popular games that are on all the systems? I bet my ass it is just switching 30 to 60 in .ini

Took them 2 years to release a back compat patch? Why? This is ridiculous. I expected 4K 60 max settings at minimum.
We're really getting a raw deal as owners of these new next gen consoles. Actually, at least Ubi has made some effort towards updating their games for 60 fps, most 3rd party devs have done fuck all to patch their games.

I too thought that most games released in the last 4-5 years would be optimized by now for 4k/60 (dynamic 4k if need be) but so many games are stuck at 1080p/30 still. Considering how little effort it takes in the grand scheme of game development I think it's bullshit to have so little to show for this new hardware. When you consider we're getting cross gen games instead of actual next gen games it further angers me that devs wouldn't want their fans/customers to at least be able to play their games at 60 fps at 1080p.
This is especially bullshit when it comes to huge titles like Red Read Redemption 2, dishonoured 2, far cry 5/new dawn or games that are live services like Fallout 76 or games that were released right before the launch of the ps5/series x like Mafia 1 remake.

If it wasn't for the SX doing its FPS boost it would be more glaringly obvious how little effort has been made. There are still so many xbox one games that are stuck at 720-900p even which is really sad. Also, MS shutting down their Back Compat program makes no sense.

We've gotten used to such a lack of effort on the part of greedy publishers and lazy companies that many people think these optimizations are this huge favor to us console gamers that I bet a lot of people reading thus comment will think I'm being entitled but I don't think so. Studios are making record profits, PC has had these optimized settings for years, it's past time that console gaming catches up in this area. Sony and MS want total integration between PC and Console, we spent the extra money to upgrade to "next gen" but we're not getting that next gen treatment on several levels.

You might say Sony and MS have "no control over what 3rd parties decide to do" but even that isn't accurate. If Sony and MS really wanted to they could incentivize publishers to optimize their games in various ways. MS already does this with GamePass. Console gamers simply don't demand enough from them, unlike PC audience, so in turn they can get away with holding back features.

adamsapple

I love that in these new AC games you can just run into story enemies randomly on the world map without any objective tagged.

I remember Cyberpunk did exactly that. If you imported xbox series save from PC, it also IMPORTED YOUR GRAPHICAL SETTINGS !!! Digital foundry covered it and it was really interesting.

I think that stuff like changing resolution and fps is probably legit 1 week of work. You submit new .ini file as a patch to sony for validation and that's it.
Of course there are games with hard coded 30 animations or hard lock. Like bloodborne where it is more work than flipping 0 to 1.

But for these popular games that are on all the systems? I bet my ass it is just switching 30 to 60 in .ini
It's infuriating to me to think of how much I've spent on ps4/xb one games that are now stuck at 1080p/30 when we finally have the PC-like hardware capable of optimizing those games at relatively little expense to publishers.

MS shutting down their BC program also is quite upsetting considering the strides they were making in terms of fps/resolution boost AND the fact that they sold the Series X, in part, on the premise that it would be able to upscale old games! It's great that they did the 100 or so games that got fps boost but it SUCKS that they just shut down that program with no explanation as to why. Even while they were doing the FPS boost on games they seemingly stopped caring about resolution boosts. Actually the amount of games that got resolution boosts is a rather paltry amount, basically just original xbox games with a few 360 games.

elliot5

It's infuriating to me to think of how much I've spent on ps4/xb one games that are now stuck at 1080p/30 when we finally have the PC-like hardware capable of optimizing those games at relatively little expense to publishers.

MS shutting down their BC program also is quite upsetting considering the strides they were making in terms of fps/resolution boost AND the fact that they sold the Series X, in part, on the premise that it would be able to upscale old games! It's great that they did the 100 or so games that got fps boost but it SUCKS that they just shut down that program with no explanation as to why. Even while they were doing the FPS boost on games they seemingly stopped caring about resolution boosts. Actually the amount of games that got resolution boosts is a rather paltry amount, basically just original xbox games with a few 360 games.
wdym no explanation why? They said it's because they exhausted all options basically. The remaining games either don't work using the FPS boost technique, they don't have permission from the publishers, or there are licensing problems.

Totally agreed. Ubisoft needs to give Ghost Recon: Wildlands a 60fps patch for Xbox Series S/X and PS5.
Wildlands, Watch Dogs 1 (needs resolution and fps), watch dogs 2, far cry 4/primal, fc5/new dawn, ac unity/syndicate, and they really should've released fc3 "classic" and recently blood dragon at a reasonable resolution at 60 fps.

Imagine a publisher Ubis size releasing Far Cry Blood Dragon at 1080p/30 fps on next gen consoles in 2022?

wdym no explanation why? They said it's because they exhausted all options basically. The remaining games either don't work using the FPS boost technique, they don't have permission from the publishers, or there are licensing problems.
They said that? I don't recall but I believe you. I still think they could've kept working on resolution bumping games if they hit a wall with the framerate stuff ..

Kerotan

You can turn enemy scaling off.

And this game is smaller in scope than Odyssey for sure. The world is generally much smaller and most of it is filled with desert anyway.

They *REALLY* went ham in terms of throwing in a massive world and content in Odyssey.
Music to my ears. Honestly this will probably be my last AC and I played them all up until and including syndicate. They're just too big and I don't have time.

b0uncyfr0

Wouldve been great if they fixed the 30 fps animations and clothes, especially when you open the map are tracking some stuff - the icons stand out alot.

Not a deal breaker though.

Shmunter

Totally agreed. Ubisoft needs to give Ghost Recon: Wildlands a 60fps patch for Xbox Series S/X and PS5.
Their efforts seem completely arbitrary. Although I suspect there is higher likelihood of micro transaction sales on the ones with the 60fps treatment me thinks. Can it be confirmed or denied?

Topher

Gold Member
Their efforts seem completely arbitrary. Although I suspect there is higher likelihood of micro transaction sales on the ones with the 60fps treatment me thinks. Can it be confirmed or denied?

Both Origins and Odyssey have the option to pay $10 to increase rate of XP and in-game currency, so that is a possibility. I don't think games prior to Origins had that option.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Changing values is indeed a couple of seconds but the game must be thoroughly tested to ensure it's stable. That take time. A lot of time in case of a big ass open world game like Origins.

adamsapple

Both Origins and Odyssey have the option to pay $10 to increase rate of XP and in-game currency, so that is a possibility. I don't think games prior to Origins had that option.

Origins only has money, no EXP boost IIRC.

But you don't need it.

If you have the season pass (or the DLC episodes), you can 'boost' your character to LV 45 shortly after starting so you're up to the content level anyway.

-

Short hair + beard = best Bayek

6-4-2022_9-35-55_am-u63jdf.png

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Here I am hoping that when it comes to PC Gamepass that it includes achievements. Not getting my hopes up....but damn it would be awesome to be able to boost my gamerscore with an additional 1500 points!

Topher

Gold Member
Here I am hoping that when it comes to PC Gamepass that it includes achievements. Not getting my hopes up....but damn it would be awesome to be able to boost my gamerscore with an additional 1500 points!

Do games on PC Game Pass sometimes not have achievements?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'd love to revisit this as the setting is incredible but I hit a point in the main story where the next quest was like 5 levels above the one I just completed meaning I'd have to go grind out 5 or more levels doing boring shite just so I can't continue the main quest and I just give up.. I hate when games do that, some games I just wanna play the main quest as the side quests are uninteresting especially with the cookie cutter shit that fills out the Ass Creed games.. and yeah the store had buyable xp boosters ffs, might redownload for a looksie see if it sparks anything in me

Hawk269

Origins only has money, no EXP boost IIRC.

But you don't need it.

If you have the season pass (or the DLC episodes), you can 'boost' your character to LV 45 shortly after starting so you're up to the content level anyway.

-

Short hair + beard = best Bayek

6-4-2022_9-35-55_am-u63jdf.png
Take it you are a Lebron James fan? lol

yamaci17

hello, game pass on PC acts as a licence check for Ubi games. Ubi Connect provides you the game, so in that extent, achivements will be on Ubi Connect
you can see that with rainbow 6 siege and extraction

Last edited:
Top Bottom