• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a lifelong Dragon Quest fan, it pisses me off I'll never be able to play Dragon Quest X

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I've enjoyed Dragon Quest ever since my friend introduced it to me in the mid 90s. When DQX was announced, I was pretty stoked because it looked like an elaboration of the cool ideas they introduced with DQIX. And yet we haven't gotten a localization. We didn't even get a localization of the offline version, which stung because it seemed like they basically made that version for westerners.

The game seems excellent, and every time I see a trailer for the updates, it seems totally rad. I mean look at these

IUt looks like it goes balls out in a way the series normally doesn't. If each expansion is the equavalent of its own game, there is basically 6 Dragon Quest games (soon to be 7) that I'll never get to play.

From what I hear, DQX is excellent. Some even say it's the best in the series, the same way you hear people say FFXIV is the best FF. but I'll never know.

NecrosaroIII

I'm one as well, but this game is so different from the others that I never had any interest in it.
I've played a bit of the japanese version, and it felt pretty standard DQ to me. I think you'd be happy with it if you liked the others.

That said, my language skills are not NEARLY good enough to actually enjoy the game. I can get by with menus and attacks, but wouldn't be able to enjoy the story.

I've played a bit of the japanese version, and it felt pretty standard DQ to me. I think you'd be happy with it if you liked the others.

That said, my language skills are not NEARLY good enough to actually enjoy the game. I can get by with menus and attacks, but wouldn't be able to enjoy the story.
I always figured the mmo aspects of the game would be too different from the traditional sp gameplay the series is known for. If it's like the sp Phantasy Star Online games on GC, that might be acceptable.

NecrosaroIII

I got to test it years ago for work. It was pretty fun game playing solo, but I only got to play it a bit under 10 hours.
I own the all in one bundle from when 3.0 and played the intro prologue and sibling story. It was pretty cool! Didn't understand what was happening, but it warmed my heart.

kunonabi

It's easily my favorite dq from what I was able to manage playing. I still love that first opening cinematic as it perfectly captures the magic of what makes classic rpgs so special:

Takes a few seconds to start.

Larxia

Isn't the offline version a totally different game with a mobile / chibi kind of look? This makes it a lot less interesting in my opinion, while DQ X looked cool because it had this 3D dragon quest look like VIII and XI.

From a quick search I found there's apparently some translation tools and such for it:

NecrosaroIII

Isn't the offline version a totally different game with a mobile / chibi kind of look? This makes it a lot less interesting in my opinion, while DQ X looked cool because it had this 3D dragon quest look like VIII and XI.

From a quick search I found there's apparently some translation tools and such for it:

I'd definitely prefer the Online version over the offline, but I'd make it work. Also, wow nice find on the translation tool. It seems kind of an ordeal to get working

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

You can try google lens.

blackjon24

I've enjoyed Dragon Quest ever since my friend introduced it to me in the mid 90s. When DQX was announced, I was pretty stoked because it looked like an elaboration of the cool ideas they introduced with DQIX. And yet we haven't gotten a localization. We didn't even get a localization of the offline version, which stung because it seemed like they basically made that version for westerners.

The game seems excellent, and every time I see a trailer for the updates, it seems totally rad. I mean look at these

IUt looks like it goes balls out in a way the series normally doesn't. If each expansion is the equavalent of its own game, there is basically 6 Dragon Quest games (soon to be 7) that I'll never get to play.

From what I hear, DQX is excellent. Some even say it's the best in the series, the same way you hear people say FFXIV is the best FF. but I'll never know.

This was such a frustrating post to read because I used to be like you. If you love this series you owe it to yourself to give DQX Clarity a shot. You are missing out, a couple hours into playing it in english and you will completely forget the minor inconvenience it requires to set up.

This link is the best place to start

Thank me later, for me the last straw was seeing that crappy chibi dragon quest 10 offline version square released. Best case scenario that is the version we would get at $60 ... no thanks lol (Put in 100 hours into the online version so far without spending a dime)

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Learn japanese
i dont know if this is scotty just shitposting but i second this. When half of the games come from Japan it's probably in your best interest to at least learn the language so you can unlock access to more content and more games w/o a major language barrier getting in your way.

Plus it helps your brain!

SenkiDala

It is unplayable outside of the Japanese territory ?

If this is a matter of language only then why not learning Japanese ? Reaching the level to be able to understand a mainstream game like DQ shouldn't be a problem, those games are aiming kids so the language used is quite simple. I've learned English with JRPGs on PS1, and Japanese the same way (harder though). Korean with ex wife... Ahah.

NecrosaroIII

This was such a frustrating post to read because I used to be like you. If you love this series you owe it to yourself to give DQX Clarity a shot. You are missing out, a couple hours into playing it in english and you will completely forget the minor inconvenience it requires to set up.

This link is the best place to start

Thank me later, for me the last straw was seeing that crappy chibi dragon quest 10 offline version square released. Best case scenario that is the version we would get at $60 ... no thanks lol (Put in 100 hours into the online version so far without spending a dime)

Question - is Clarity updated through the recent expansion? From what I'm seeing, it's at least through 4.0 which is probably a ton of content as is.

blackjon24

Question - is Clarity updated through the recent expansion? From what I'm seeing, it's at least through 4.0 which is probably a ton of content as is.
Correct, clarity is up to version 4.0 which is an insane amount of content (Multiple dragon quest games worth of content). Anything past that would still be translated in english by the AI but not hand translated which would result in weird sentences here and there but you should still be able to get the ghist of it.

The team works very fast so i would not give them too long before they make it to version 6.

For context i've played it on clarity for a 100 hours and only up to 2.1. The free trial ends at 2.3 so I still have ways to go. My recommendation would be to play version 1 and see if you like it since it is free (offline version released at full price only covered version 1, the rest being added dlc). I played the whole thing by myself and it felt like a single player experience. It also has an ending that does continue on to version 2 but left me satisfied enough that I felt like I completed a full new dragon quest game!

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Correct, clarity is up to version 4.0 which is an insane amount of content (Multiple dragon quest games worth of content). Anything past that would still be translated in english by the AI but not hand translated which would result in weird sentences here and there but you should still be able to get the ghist of it.

The team works very fast so i would not give them too long before they make it to version 6.

For context i've played it on clarity for a 100 hours and only up to 2.1. The free trial ends at 2.3 so I still have ways to go. My recommendation would be to play version 1 and see if you like it since it is free (offline version released at full price only covered version 1, the rest being added dlc). I played the whole thing by myself and it felt like a single player experience. It also has an ending that does continue on to version 2 but left me satisfied enough that I felt like I completed a full new dragon quest game!
I actually own up until version 3, but I gave up playing it. I think I was playing as an elf.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Am also going to chime in here and say "learn Japanese". This game specifically was one of the reasons I wanted to start learning. And, as others have said, it doesn't take very long to get up to speed enough to get the general idea of what is happening in this game - especially if you play the offline version which has furigana above all the kanji. It has the added benefit of being a great language learning tool, playing it and looking up the vocabulary words you don't already know.

I thought it would be a skill that I'd only use for gaming (which is nice), but it's also been useful for me to learn so that I can watch Japanese TV shows and movies, read Japanese books, etc. It's definitely felt like exercising my brain - I'm old - and it's opened me up to not only a new culture but also a whole new way of thinking about the world.

So - stop whining and put in the work.

I don’t know the sales numbers. Since Wii U a worldwide release of DQ:X has always felt like a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Am also going to chime in here and say "learn Japanese". This game specifically was one of the reasons I wanted to start learning. And, as others have said, it doesn't take very long to get up to speed enough to get the general idea of what is happening in this game - especially if you play the offline version which has furigana above all the kanji. It has the added benefit of being a great language learning tool, playing it and looking up the vocabulary words you don't already know.

I thought it would be a skill that I'd only use for gaming (which is nice), but it's also been useful for me to learn so that I can watch Japanese TV shows and movies, read Japanese books, etc. It's definitely felt like exercising my brain - I'm old - and it's opened me up to not only a new culture but also a whole new way of thinking about the world.

So - stop whining and put in the work.
I studied Japanese college. 3 years. Still not enough to fluently play

L*][*N*K

Banned
I just want a Dragon Quest VIII remake for the PS5.
What would you like to be remaked in that game, exactly? Because as far as I am aware that game is as good as it gets and it is on so many consoles so I don't understand

Eimran

What would you like to be remaked in that game, exactly? Because as far as I am aware that game is as good as it gets and it is on so many consoles so I don't understand
As far as I know that game only came out on PS2 and the 3DS a few years back

(It released also on Android/IoS but those don't count)

I would like the 3DS version remastered (it has extra content) with orchestral music and trophy support.

Why learn Japanese when you can learn to code and make an even better version of the game?
Japanese is perhaps the hardest language for Westerners to learn, and well over 99% of learners quit before they're even semi literate. Even considering that, learning enough Japanese to play a Dragon Quest game is probably still a million times easier than learning how to recreate an entire 100+ hour game from scratch as a single person.

I mean, even if you were some sort of game dev god that could actually pull it off, you'd probably just get a cease and desist the second Square Enix finds out about it.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
As far as I know that game only came out on PS2 and the 3DS a few years back

(It released also on Android/IoS but those don't count)

I would like the 3DS version remastered (it has extra content) with orchestral music and trophy support.
Oh okay, this doesn't sound like significant upgrades so I wouldn't hold my breath for them.

Skifi28

Japanese is perhaps the hardest language for Westerners to learn, and well over 99% of learners quit before they're even semi literate. Even considering that, learning enough Japanese to play a Dragon Quest game is probably still a million times easier than learning how to recreate an entire 100+ hour game from scratch as a single person.

I mean, even if you were some sort of game dev god that could actually pull it off, you'd probably just get a cease and desist the second Square Enix finds out about it.
I didn't really expect anybody to reply seriously, respect.

I didn't really expect anybody to reply seriously, respect.
Oh, I know you weren't serious. But you were still making a comparison implying that the idea of learning Japanese to play a game was as absurd as learning how to make an entire game from scratch. In my experience, there are lots of people who actually believe this, and therefore never even end up trying.

I think it's at the very least worth considering for people like the OP with a serious interest in Japanese games that lack a Western release. This if especially true for games like Dragon Quest, since the writing in those is essentially elementary school level. I played through DQ 5 in Japanese less than half a year after I started learning, and it was definitely manageable.

Impotaku

I gave in a few weeks back & bought the offline version currently 56 hours in & loving it. Got 4 of the 5 key emblems, so far managing with my reading ability the game mercifully adds furigana over all the kanji in all the spoken dialogue boxes however it sadly doesn't extend the same grace to the menu descriptions also it kindly points you in the direction of your next goal which also helps a lot.

Skifi28

Oh, I know you weren't serious. But you were still making a comparison implying that the idea of learning Japanese to play a game was as absurd as learning how to make an entire game from scratch. In my experience, there are lots of people who actually believe this, and therefore never even end up trying.

I think it's at the very least worth considering for people like the OP with a serious interest in Japanese games that lack a Western release. This if especially true for games like Dragon Quest, since the writing in those is essentially elementary school level. I played through DQ 5 in Japanese less than half a year after I started learning, and it was definitely manageable.
The idea of learning a new and probably very difficult language to play a single game is quite absurd. You can wait for a port or go for the fan translation route.

Mr.ODST

Played DQX years ago and I agree, its such a good MMO that we was never given and they tried dso hard to stop westerners playing it.

Wish they would just release it

The idea of learning a new and probably very difficult language to play a single game is quite absurd. You can wait for a port or go for the fan translation route.
You don't even know if that's the only game the OP or any of the other people who might be reading my post have an interest in.

And even if that were the case, I think chances are pretty good he'd have no issues finding other uses for the language. I originally learned both English and Japanese to play specific video games. Now I'm using both languages for lots of other stuff, a lot of which I would never have found out about if I only had access to information in my native language.

Last edited:

Skifi28

You don't even know if that's the only game the OP or any of the other people who might be reading my post have an interest in.

And even if that were the case, I think chances are pretty good he'd have no issues finding other uses for the language. I originally learned both English and Japanese to play specific video games. Now I'm using both languages for lots of other stuff, a lot of which I would never have found out about if I only had access to information in my native language.
Maybe the OP has more games he will play, maybe he Doesnt. Maybe Japanese will be useful to him in more ways, maybe it won't. I still think it's ridiculous advice in the context of this thread without knowing anything more. And that's coming from somebody that also wants to eventually learn Japanese.

Maybe the OP has more games he will play, maybe he Doesnt. Maybe Japanese will be useful to him in more ways, maybe it won't. I still think it's ridiculous advice in the context of this thread without knowing anything more. And that's coming from somebody that also wants to eventually learn Japanese.
You can think whatever you want, of course, and so can the OP. I'm not telling him he absolutely has to learn Japanese, just that it might be worth considering as an option.

Shouta

I've been playing the game since 2.0 released. Fantastic title and they really continue to evolve the experience with each version. It's really one of the best MMOs around since it accomodates all kinds of play styles. It's also one of the few MMOs to, IMO, get crafting and a player driven economy right.

The game does have a fan patch and quite a bit of translation in it that makes it very playable.

simpatico

Non English speakers: learn a foreign language just to play games, listen to music and watch movies. Benefit from it in many ways.

English speakers: I’ll never ever be able to play Dragon Quest X 😢

Last edited:

SiahWester

Never say never. I'm sure one day we'll have a translation effort. The Dragon Quest V remake on the PS2 never came out in America, but modders translated it and you can play it today.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

I've been playing the game since 2.0 released. Fantastic title and they really continue to evolve the experience with each version. It's really one of the best MMOs around since it accomodates all kinds of play styles. It's also one of the few MMOs to, IMO, get crafting and a player driven economy right.

The game does have a fan patch and quite a bit of translation in it that makes it very playable.
FFXIV has plenty of measures so you can enjoy the game by yourself. Does DQX have similar measures?

Top Bottom