• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

How are the latency and range on those? I've been tempted a few times to get one (or two) for just this purpose but the cost makes me wary.

Stick with wired classic controllers if you want accuracy and low latency. unless you dont mind the 8bitdo SNES30 diagonal defect rendering fighting games and contra near unplayable.

From what little i have done with the adapter tho, i noticed maybe 1 frame on a wireless DualShock 4 controller at 10ft.

mf luder

Is there a list of what N64 games run ok on this? I've tried paper mario which freezes after the prologue, rogue squadron won't start, starfox is runs well but is even darker the the VC version and goldeneye, which runs awful. The N64 fps controls are not good. I have a classic controller. Is there any way to map the buttons? There seems to be more than one N64 emulator/core in the list when you setup hakachi, should I use them all? I just clicked the glupen one.

Mask

I've been having a hell of a lot of trouble actually adding games to this with anything higher than version 2.13e of Hakchi2. Seems like their new driver doesn't work at all for some people, because I just can't get it to recognise the NES Mini when it's plugged in, and I've tried a lot of different stuff.

All the stuff I could find about this problem was just saying to go back to an older version, and to wait for a new one, so I'm guessing it's not widespread and I'm out of luck until a new version?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is there a list of what N64 games run ok on this? I've tried paper mario which freezes after the prologue, rogue squadron won't start, starfox is runs well but is even darker the the VC version and goldeneye, which runs awful. The N64 fps controls are not good. I have a classic controller. Is there any way to map the buttons? There seems to be more than one N64 emulator/core in the list when you setup hakachi, should I use them all? I just clicked the glupen one.

The ONLY one I've managed is Mario 64. Really you're not going to get N64 to work well on this thing, that's the end of it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Question:

I added some games to my NES Classic waaaaaaaaay back in Jan. and I haven't been following the scene since. I've seen the new 2.14 release and it seems a lot has been added. My question is this; should I re-flash the original kernal onto the NES Classic using my previous version of hakchi2 first before trying to use the new one?

There's a trick to getting these zips recognized by Retroarch, otherwise you have to boot Retroarch and manually load the zip file from there

What's the trick please 👀

Also, anyone else using an 8bitdo snes30 wirelessly and not having their buttons properly configured? I've been searching for answers and get nowhere

dock

Other than Sonic 1,2,3/K, which Genesis games work well with the 2 button NES controller? (I think the C button is missing)
The only one I can think of is Flicky.

Other than Sonic 1,2,3/K, which Genesis games work well with the 2 button NES controller? (I think the C button is missing)
The only one I can think of is Flicky.

Bio Hazard Battle
Elemental Master*
Rocket Knight Adventures
Rolling Thunder 2
Sagaia
Sol Deace*
Strider
Thunder Force Series/Lightening Force*
Truxton

*Means I'm about 90% sure you don't need third button

Before I potentially waste my time, I will ask the community.

If I load a SNES emulator on here, can I save the games I play?

I could swear that I read somewhere that you can get SNES games to run, but you can't save them.

TLZ

Banned
Has there been an easier way to hack this yet? I've been holding up since.

I want to put this in my bedroom already.

Yeah, it's pretty dead simple. I was surprised considering past console hacks have varied so much (the PSP eventually being the easiest, still). Except for a few minor things about how it's all done, adding games for other systems isn't even hard to do.

RurouniZel

So last night I experimented with putting 2.15 on my NES Classic. I've run into a couple of issues, was wondering if anyone could help me.

1) Beyond a certain number of games (approx. 70) the games will only boot to a black screen and will crash (C-80 I think?). Any way around this?
2) I installed the retro arch driver (made sure the box was checked) but every SNES/Genesis game I tried to boot would kick me to the main menu almost immediately.

I'm clearly doing something wrong as I've heard stories of hundreds of games from all sorts of systems.

zigg

1) Beyond a certain number of games (approx. 70) the games will only boot to a black screen and will crash (C-80 I think?). Any way around this?
Not sure if this is your problem, but—

It's my understanding this has to do with the system running out of RAM, which can happen if you have too many graphics for it to load.

This is a function of how many games you have loaded and how many save states (with screenshots) they have saved.

This is why Hakchi puts games in folders of 30 by default—that's the safe number where it's okay for all games to have four save states for each.

This is a good technical overview of the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassic...sion_3_of_the_game_countsafe_save_count_list/

RurouniZel

Not sure if this is your problem, but—

It's my understanding this has to do with the system running out of RAM, which can happen if you have too many graphics for it to load.

This is a function of how many games you have loaded and how many save states (with screenshots) they have saved.

This is why Hakchi puts games in folders of 30 by default—that's the safe number where it's okay for all games to have four save states for each.

This is a good technical overview of the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassic...sion_3_of_the_game_countsafe_save_count_list/

Awesome, thanks! :D. I tried to organize by folder maybe that was the issue.

Moofers

I've not been following this stuff since I got my system a couple of months back, but have they figured out a way to make Gauntlet work or any of the other games that had compatibility issues?

TLZ

Banned
It's pretty easy already

Yeah, it's pretty dead simple. I was surprised considering past console hacks have varied so much (the PSP eventually being the easiest, still). Except for a few minor things about how it's all done, adding games for other systems isn't even hard to do.

This is one of the easiest things I've ever done in my life.

OK. I'm afraid to somehow brick it.

What is the simplest/easiest guide to use?

Yeah I didn't have access to a Windows machine until recently and it was a pain in the ass getting it to work on Linux/Ubuntu. Had to use a Virtual Machine and tinker with it until worked.

zigg

unbelievably not yet

People will suggest bootcamp or similar solutions, but I'm waiting for something easier
I spent an hour or so fixing a few Mac build issues and gave up. QT is a good toolkit but more complex than I think is worth the time to fix up.

Mac users' best bet for a native tool is someone with a lot of time and the motivation to do it instead of just using Windows in a VM. (Worked perfectly with VMware Fusion for me, by the way.)

I have the nes mini collecting dust since Christmas , so glad I found this thread

edit: I assume there are no regional differences with the nes mini?

HF2014

Question.. If i get a nes classic with like 700 loaded gsmes. Do i have the ability to save? I think at first in the beginning of this thread it was said you got so space to ssve, but is this have been fix? I will be able to save my games?

Question.. If i get a nes classic with like 700 loaded gsmes. Do i have the ability to save? I think at first in the beginning of this thread it was said you got so space to ssve, but is this have been fix? I will be able to save my games?

You'll be fine, just limit the number of games on the menu screen.

pestul

700 loaded games? Come on man..

HF2014

Using 2.16b. Just wondering if there is an option that let me show my games all by alphabetical order? I upload like 100 games, remove the original ones, but all my games are like in random order. I know there is an option where you can create alphatical letter folder, but i dont want folders. So is there a way yet?

EDIT: Nevermind.... i just had to press select in the menu...

oo7

Why does my system show 327.1 mb available instead of 300mb? Keep getting strange errors when adding games now.

I'm not sure what Nintendo is expecting with this. They know people want it and then they decide to suddenly pull it. They understand exactly what is going to happen.

How do those virtual console sales look these days? Feel like i'm an idiot for buying them.

Pokemaniac

There isn't even a VC on Switch. VC is pretty far from the top of Nintendo's priorities

On the other hand, VC (or at least certain games) charted pretty well on the Wii U and 3DS eShops. EarthBound is still one of the top 5 (maybe top 3, I don't have numbers in front of me) best selling titles on the Wii U NA eShop.

HF2014

Ok anyone can tell how exactly this guys have been making the NES menu look like this using snes, genesis, gameboy games?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRhqvUgX10

He boot and have the four systems showing up, he choose the system, all the games of the appropriate system have their own boxes, can save state any games etc. Im not even sure its retroarch hes using.

I seriously want my system like this...

Ok anyone can tell how exactly this guys have been making the NES menu look like this using snes, genesis, gameboy games?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRhqvUgX10

He boot and have the four systems showing up, he choose the system, all the games of the appropriate system have their own boxes, can save state any games etc. Im not even sure its retroarch hes using.

I seriously want my system like this...

Possibly custom folders.

HF2014

Anyone know if maxing the internal memory of games is ok? I current using 285mb out of the 300. But when plug to pc, the 300 turn into 330mb. Im just wondering if maxing the limit at 300mb would be ok. These gba games take space jesus.

Socreges

Banned
Got a bunch of games loaded thanks to hakchi2 2.15. Some thoughts:

- Very easy to do. Was quite impressed
- Uploaded about 100 games because I could. A bunch are just a waste of space so I'll be deleting them.
- Has someone already posted a list of essential NES titles?

Does this mean I can use PS3 or PS4 controller with NES Classic??
Or the Wii U Pro?? That's amazing. I was just about to buy a Wii Classic Controller Pro online, which would be redundant.

Can someone here vouch for it? ie, the 8Bitdo Retro Receiver for NES Classic Edition

Top Bottom