• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

Flashing complete! I was previously on 2.12. I downloaded hakchi 2.13c. I started off by installing the modules I wanted. Then I unchecked the option for compression under settings. After that, I set up my folders and synced my games. No power light bugs.

Everything seems to be working wonderfully. About to play some Air Zonk right now. 😎
Ok, so I just tried the "uncheck compress files" method. As I'm uploading games, everything was going swimmingly until I got to the second round of "hold reset button and power on" bit. As this message came up for the second time, Windows suddenly popped up with the "installing device driver" bubble. This doesn't usually happen with hakchi, only the first time when setting up. Then the bubble says "driver not installed properly" and my NES Mini is stuck in LED light on mode. Again.

Keep in mind that I had previously installed modules, etc, so the drivers were already installed and it was working up to this point.

Anybody had this issue and worked out a fix? I'm using version 2.13 "official" release.

EDIT: I went back and used version 2.12 instead and everything worked perfect. NES/SNES installed with folders and box art.

There is definitely a bug in hakchi version 2.13.

That was it exactly! Downloaded the parent fba rom and it worked! Much thanks!
No worries. Glad to help.

I just updated Hakchi to 2.13e..I dont put in zipped files so is it OK for me to uncheck "Compress games if possible" also I see on the bottom I have 156 games..304MB/300MB so I guess that means I have to uncheck a few games..I have all the modules in the correct directory should I install the modules first or sync the games first?

dock

I've also been leaving folder creation on automatic, if I wanna make custom folders do I arrange games from within the NES CE menu?
I'm also unsure how to create custom folders. I don't mind the original 30 being one folder, but how do I control the others?

I'm also unsure how to create custom folders. I don't mind the original 30 being one folder, but how do I control the others?

Click on settings--->Folder options--->Always display custom folders (or something like that). Then when you go to sync games, it'll automatically open the folder customisation window.

What controllers is the classic able to support besides those made for the Wii port.

NES Mini Classic pad
Wii Clasic controller
8bitdo wireless controller w/ special Mini adaptor

As far as I know.

Ok, so I just tried the "uncheck compress files" method. As I'm uploading games, everything was going swimmingly until I got to the second round of "hold reset button and power on" bit. As this message came up for the second time, Windows suddenly popped up with the "installing device driver" bubble. This doesn't usually happen with hakchi, only the first time when setting up. Then the bubble says "driver not installed properly" and my NES Mini is stuck in LED light on mode. Again.

Keep in mind that I had previously installed modules, etc, so the drivers were already installed and it was working up to this point.

Anybody had this issue and worked out a fix? I'm using version 2.13 "official" release.

EDIT: I went back and used version 2.12 instead and everything worked perfect. NES/SNES installed with folders and box art.

There is definitely a bug in hakchi version 2.13.

Yeah, 2.13 has some issues for sure. Seems really finicky.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Click on settings--->Folder options--->Always display custom folders (or something like that). Then when you go to sync games, it'll automatically open the folder customisation window.

NES Mini Classic pad
Wii Clasic controller
8bitdo wireless controller w/ special Mini adaptor

As far as I know.
I was looking for something wireless. Thank you.

giving the newest version a try now. Excited!
For PSX, what core are people using? I guess not very many games run well on it right now though, correct?

EDIT:
NM. Saw its PSX rearmed. And doesn't look like many PSX games run well at all on it...
Many games run just fine at or near 60fps. Early games like Ridge Racer, less demanding games like puzzle and card games. I'm playing some Japanese card games currently.

Of course performance varies by game. Some more demanding games run terribly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z34ZKvo__8

DonMigs85

Arghhh the turbo Y X hack also affects games for other consoles. Was thinking it would only affect NES titles. Now I gotta reflash again...

tuco11

Any tips on how to get save states working for SNES, GBA would be greatly appreciated. My stepdaughter just put in a hour on Pokemon Red fro GBA to have it lost :( ty!

Chairhome

Many games run just fine at or near 60fps. Early games like Ridge Racer, less demanding games like puzzle and card games. I'm playing some Japanese card games currently.

Of course performance varies by game. Some more demanding games run terribly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z34ZKvo__8

Yeah, i'm wondering what games are worth the space right now. I am playing some GBA/SNES and CPS2 games right now and they work great.

Having some issues using FBA for non-CPS2 but I'm working that out now.

But man, having to restart the NES multiple times while its uploading everytime i make a change is pretty annoying. Took about 1 hour last time i had to flash.

rezn0r

This is pretty awesome. I ended up adding way too much stuff, so I'll probably wipe it out and start fresh with a hand-picked group of games, but it's pretty impressive what's been done.

The 8bitdo controllers seem to be all over the place as far as reviews go. Is the dpad really bad or even hit-or-miss? Or is it just the thing where you only see the negative reviews?

But man, having to restart the NES multiple times while its uploading everytime i make a change is pretty annoying. Took about 1 hour last time i had to flash.

Yeah, exactly.

dock

Can anyone recommend any easy two player co-op games? My GF doesn't play games much but we could really do with some more two player games that aren't gigantic.

We can probably use gamegenie codes to give us infinite lives, but I don't want it to be too frustrating.

rezn0r

Can anyone recommend any easy two player co-op games? My GF doesn't play games much but we could really do with some more two player games that aren't gigantic.

We can probably use gamegenie codes to give us infinite lives, but I don't want it to be too frustrating.

Bubble Bobble is the first thing to pop into my mind, and probably the Double Dragons, the Gauntlets, Dr. Mario, Contras. I'm sure there's a ton more. Of course the Marios were always fun playing two player, although that's not co-op.

For the life of me I can never get boot camp running on my macbook pro. I'm hoping someone eventually releases an OSX version of the hack. I can't wait to turn my new Mini inside out.

RedRumy3

I was looking for something wireless. Thank you.

they sell the adapter now separate

Code:
    Play your NES Classic Edition wirelessly
    Compatible with all 8Bitdo controllers and arcade sticks
    Compatible with next gen controllers: PS4, PS3, Wii Mote, and Wii U Pro
    Wireless Bluetooth, no lag
    Access the NES Classic Edition home screen by pressing DOWN & Select on the NES30 controller

For the life of me I can never get boot camp running on my macbook pro. I'm hoping someone eventually releases an OSX version of the hack. I can't wait to turn my new Mini inside out.

You could also just install VirtualBox and setup a windows VM that way. USB passthrough would allow you to just connect it and go.

You could also just install VirtualBox and setup a windows VM that way. USB passthrough would allow you to just connect it and go.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to give that a shot. For some reason, despite being reasonably adept at general hacks, my macbook just hates boot camp. Hopefully VirtualBox will play along nicely.

DonMigs85

Anyone else having problems with Mario All-Stars + World? After starting one of the games, the controls stop responding.
Anybody?

Bedlam

Try The Legend of Mystical Ninja (SNES). It's cute and supposedly rather easy. Could be a good coop game to play with someone who doesn't play games often.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Guerilla War is two player co op with infinite continues. Fun game!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone know if it's possible to put all the games on the home screen with no folder, like 130 games? Or is 90 games the max limit?

I don't want to reflash twice to find out

Anyone know if it's possible to put all the games on the home screen with no folder, like 130 games? Or is 90 games the max limit?

It looks like you can expand it to a maximum of 100 games on the list. Frankly, I've been keeping it at the default 30 because when you have 100+ games on the system the folders actually make it easier to navigate to some of them.

I bought a MyArcade Pro Controller from Amazon, so I can play SNES/SEGA games. I can finally beat Super Mario RPG for the 50th time (I shit you not)

Can you play MAME on this? I really want to play Tumblepop again.

I will probably buy one of this if PS1/N64 emulation ever becomes solid.

Can somebody test All-Stars?
No issue at all. Tested all of the games and had no problem.

zigg

It's my understanding that going past 32 (or 40, if you hide all the shipped games and either re-add or add new) risks out-of-memory issues as you add restore points.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5n1sn3/the_new_game_countsafe_save_count_list/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassic...sion_3_of_the_game_countsafe_save_count_list/

It's my understanding that going past 32 (or 40, if you hide all the shipped games and either re-add or add new) risks out-of-memory issues as you add restore points.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5n1sn3/the_new_game_countsafe_save_count_list/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassic...sion_3_of_the_game_countsafe_save_count_list/

EDIT: AS OF VERSION 2.11, FOLDERS ARE SUPPORTED, WHICH ALLOW FOR BYPASSING THE PREVIOUS GAME COUNT LIMITATIONS.

What does he mean with this?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Can somebody test All-Stars?

Pro tip: You can right click to select or deselect all. Then you can reflash with only one game on the list, and you can test that one or two games.

Still a pain in the ass to have to reflash again to update all your games, but at least you would only so it once, not twice, just to test out one game.

DonMigs85

Pro tip: You can right click to select or deselect all. Then you can reflash with only one game on the list, and you can test that one or two games.

Still a pain in the ass to have to reflash again to update all your games, but at least you would only so it once, not twice, just to test out one game.
Were you able to test it as well? It's so weird, after getting past the title screen for any of the games the controls just stop responding.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Were you able to test it as well? It's so weird, after getting past the title screen for any of the games the controls just stop responding.

Yeah I played all the games, it worked. Just check your rom, try a different one. I've had a similar issue with Mario All-stars on an entirely different emulator, where it would crash, but using a different rom would work. Also check, do other SNES games work, just not that one? It's the rom then.

Speaking of all this, is there a master list of N64 compatible working games? I've only tested a few, but I'm currently uploading 20 to test out.

Not working: Pokemon puzzle and dr Mario 64. I'll have many more to report back in a few hours, but is there already a list floating out there?

It means that if you have your games in folders and never have more than the limit on the screen, you won't run into the limitations.

Basically, hakchi2's default mode where it sets up folders for paging.
Oh good! I'm above the limit on my SNES folder but I'll probably never use more than a save file for each game. If I ever run into trouble, I'll probably put the rest of the games on folders.

DonMigs85

Yeah I played all the games, it worked. Just check your rom, try a different one. I've had a similar issue with Mario All-stars on an entirely different emulator, where it would crash, but using a different rom would work. Also check, do other SNES games work, just not that one? It's the rom then.

Speaking of all this, is there a master list of N64 compatible working games? I've only tested a few, but I'm currently uploading 20 to test out.

Not working: Pokemon puzzle and dr Mario 64. I'll have many more to report back in a few hours, but is there already a list floating out there?
Smash Bros, Diddy Kong, Wave Race and Mario 64 work ok, Pilotwings looks glitchy

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
yeah I understand now why there isn't much of a list, they pretty much all suck! Yeah Mario 64 was the only thing that only worked well. Everything else was a mess. So yeah, don't bother. Nothing really works outside what was listed.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So when using Retroarch for Genesis/SNES/GB is it recommend to use the save points through the NES Mini or Save States through Retroarch, or does it even matter?

DonMigs85

I noticed the emulators were updated, can I now sync Waku Waku 7 and other Neo Geo games as normal or is there anything special I have to do?

zigg

Is 2.13e worth getting at this point? Seems like 13 was buggy. Or are there still some more features we should wait for?
2.13e was my first and it worked great for me.

I decided I hated the folders and went for 32 NES only though after trying it the default way.

ParityBit

So I grabbed the latest retroarch release (release folder) and I am unsure what I need to copy over. it is a little different looking than the instructions above by JP. What do I want to copy from there?

DonMigs85

still having issues with Mario All Stars + World. Tried a different ROM, reflashed, controls still stop working past the title screen for any of the 5 games.

tornjaw

still having issues with Mario All Stars + World. Tried a different ROM, reflashed, controls still stop working past the title screen for any of the 5 games.

Updated Nestopia, FCEUmm and SNES9x2005

Changes:

Now we're using the latest builds of these cores.
Fixed mGBA SRAM saves

Now it's possible to use Firebrandx's more accurate palettes with Nestopia and FCEUmm and play Super Mario All-Stars with SNES9x2005 (game controls were not working).

Top Bottom