• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 - New expansion terrain, DX12 support (2016)

artsi

K0vdkxA.jpg

Welcome to Tanoa – home to lush tropical vegetation, unique landmarks, a rich history, and imposing man-made feats of modern engineering. Walk, swim, drive, fly, and sail your way across over 100 km² of the South Pacific archipelago.

Situated in the South Pacific, the island province of Tanoa is one of many that, together, compose the Horizon Islands – an independent island nation with historic ties to both East and West. Formerly an outpost belonging to the Empire of Japan, before its liberation by US Marines in 1944, evidence of a long history of conflict and turmoil can still be found dotted across the island – relics from times long-since passed.

Nowadays, Tanoa thrives off rich deposits of rare earth metals exported the world over, but controversy and civil unrest have long surrounded these efforts due to the perceived social, economic and environmental impacts of their exploitation. Tanoa is also believed to be a hub of illicit trafficking in the Pacific, but no formal charges have ever been raised.

In 2035, Tanoa continues to enjoy a prolonged period of apparent peace and prosperity, but the volatile geopolitical situation on the world's stage threatens to destabilize the region, and plunge it into darkness once more.

Tanoa will be available as part of an upcoming expansion for Arma 3.
The expansion is currently scheduled for release in the first half of 2016 and will be distributed as DLC for the base Arma 3 game. More information about the expansion will be shared at a later date.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aHxziH5l0g

Screenshots:

Also according to the live stream DX12 support is supposed to come with the expansion bringing better performance and visuals.

New information (June 23rd):

http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00111

We can confirm that this expansion is premium, and will follow our DLC strategy (the terrain being a new aspect as you will need to own the expansion for access). Any vehicles, weapons and other content is treated similarly to the try-before-you-buy approach in Helicopters / Marksmen DLC. Features developed alongside are to be free for everyone who owns the game. And, those people who contributed from the beginning by purchasing the Supporter Edition, do indeed already own this expansion (it's not stand-alone). Thank you again for the support during the early Alpha days!

• We consider the terrain to be geotypical Fiji, but it's not an exact recreation of that real-world location (it's a mix of various satellite heightmaps, so not geospecific). We'll be further discussing our motivations for this (awesome) setting later.
  • A new fixed-wing aircraft and a waterscooter will be part of the expansion. But fear not; the focus remains military. We're just not ready to reveal those vehicles, weapons and characters yet.
  • You can see work-in-progress water reflections, improved shoreline effects and enhanced overall lighting configuration. These technologies and features will arrive to everyone, and to the existing Arma 3 terrains. These are also not all features coming alongside the expansion! We'll discuss more and more as the year goes on.
  • Most of the audio is not yet from in-game recordings, but it gives an impression of how we want to push the soundscape further, especially in terms of ambient audio. The goal is to deeply immerse you in our "green hell"!
  • As the opening disclaimer points out: the terrain is still in the middle of production. Many of the objects you see in the distance are early placeholders. We're very happy that it already looks and feels this good now!

Looks great, but considering how much they've charged for the previous dlc, I'm not looking forward to the price of this.

Gruso

Looks great, but considering how much they've charged for the previous dlc, I'm not looking forward to the price of this.
I'm guessing it'll be in the $30-$40 ballpark.

In defence of previous DLC pricing, the great majority of updated content was given to every player for free. DLC purchasers get the content marked as 'premium' in the links below, but everything under 'platform update' went out as a free patch.

Helicopters ($16): http://arma3.com/news/arma-3-helicopters-dlc#.VYFRKPmqqkp

Marksmen ($16): http://arma3.com/news/arma-3-marksmen-dlc#.VYFRX_mqqkp

The great thing about this model is that the community isn't fragmented by DLC. Everyone is able to play the vanilla scenarios together (including the new DLC scenarios), but the DLC buyers have access to the new gear. And you can still ride in their heli!

R1CHO

DX12? maybe it will run smooth without a 30GHZ cpu then, cool.

And even better view distance and lod.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice. Loved Arma II but haven't hoppes on IIi yet.

Might do so if they bring DX12 in.

I'm guessing it'll be in the $30-$40 ballpark.

In defence of previous DLC pricing, the great majority of updated content was given to every player for free. DLC purchasers get the content marked as 'premium' in the links below, but everything under 'platform update' went out as a free patch.

Helicopters ($16): http://arma3.com/news/arma-3-helicopters-dlc#.VYFRKPmqqkp

Marksmen ($16): http://arma3.com/news/arma-3-marksmen-dlc#.VYFRX_mqqkp

The great thing about this model is that the community isn't fragmented by DLC. Everyone is able to play the vanilla scenarios together (including the new DLC scenarios), but the DLC buyers have access to the new gear. And you can still ride in their heli!

I agree, it was a good idea not to split the community, but I just bought the dlc in the end to stop that obnoxious pop-up that occurs when when using a gun or scope from the dlc. Over priced in my opinion for what you get.

And it seems as if they refuse to put the DLC on sale. I want to give them money for it, but at its current price its too much.

All around odd DLC decisions on ARMA3 so I'm curious to see how this is priced.

Now if I could just find a new active tactical community. My current one has been hemoraghing players for a while due to the split in players wanting or not wanting to move to Arma 3 full time. I keep applying to ShackTac but it's pretty much a pipe dream. Any of you guys in an active community?

artsi

A new blog post with more information.

http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00111

Some highlights:

We can confirm that this expansion is premium, and will follow our DLC strategy (the terrain being a new aspect as you will need to own the expansion for access).
Any vehicles, weapons and other content is treated similarly to the try-before-you-buy approach in Helicopters / Marksmen DLC.

Features developed alongside are to be free for everyone who owns the game. And, those people who contributed from the beginning by purchasing the Supporter Edition, do indeed already own this expansion (it's not stand-alone). Thank you again for the support during the early Alpha days!

• We consider the terrain to be geotypical Fiji, but it's not an exact recreation of that real-world location (it's a mix of various satellite heightmaps, so not geospecific). We'll be further discussing our motivations for this (awesome) setting later.
  • A new fixed-wing aircraft and a waterscooter will be part of the expansion. But fear not; the focus remains military. We're just not ready to reveal those vehicles, weapons and characters yet.
  • You can see work-in-progress water reflections, improved shoreline effects and enhanced overall lighting configuration. These technologies and features will arrive to everyone, and to the existing Arma 3 terrains. These are also not all features coming alongside the expansion! We'll discuss more and more as the year goes on.
  • Most of the audio is not yet from in-game recordings, but it gives an impression of how we want to push the soundscape further, especially in terms of ambient audio. The goal is to deeply immerse you in our "green hell"!
  • As the opening disclaimer points out: the terrain is still in the middle of production. Many of the objects you see in the distance are early placeholders. We're very happy that it already looks and feels this good now!

I really like BI's approach with this and DLC in general.

Foffy

Banned
So if this is following the rest of the DLC model they've done, the base content will be available to all users, but people who purchase it get premium content?

I have to assume this time around that includes a campaign. Every ArmA terrain comes with one.

mbmonk

Now if I could just find a new active tactical community. My current one has been hemoraghing players for a while due to the split in players wanting or not wanting to move to Arma 3 full time. I keep applying to ShackTac but it's pretty much a pipe dream. Any of you guys in an active community?

I joined the 15th meu recently. Co-op, Very active, and healthy. 15th has divisions for tankers, helos, fixed wings etc. It operates on Central US time.

Also jester on YouTube has his own community that is more infantry focused, but the name escapes me currently. I think they operate on eastern time but I could be wrong. I looked it up months ago.

artsi

So if this is following the rest of the DLC model they've done, the base content will be available to all users, but people who purchase it get premium content?

I have to assume this time around that includes a campaign. Every ArmA terrain comes with one.

Yep that's right. All engine improvements etc. features will be a free patch, just the island requires expansion to play.
New units / vehicles require the expansion too but you can still use and test them (and see a nagging screen) without the DLC.

I highly assume that there will be a new campaign since they're also talking about new characters.

How is the content in Arma 3 nowadays? In regards to official addons/patches and mods.

i think the mods are better than the official content.

here is some built for ARMA 3

RHS Escalation
F/A-18 Super Hornet
F/A-18 X Black Wasp
FC-37 Thunder
Su-35S Flanker E

Top Bottom