• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

are there any good 'drift' racing games?

GXAlan

momolicious said:
Woah, Enthusia video is friggin sweet. Doesnt the game suck though?

http://firingsquad.com/games/enthusia_review/

Here was my conclusion

Enthusia is like Dance Dance Revolution. While it’s possible to play the game with the standard gamepad, you really need a specialized input-device to play the game as it should be played. For DDR, it used to be $80 gamepads (before those budget mats were released) and so for Enthusia, the special controller is the Driving Force Pro.

In terms of gameplay, Enthusia isn’t that fun – the term fatiguing truly captures the experience. However, it is like going to a gym and getting tired. Weight lifting itself isn’t any fun – it’s having the strength at the end of the day that motivates you. Driving in Enthusia is a workout, frustrating while you’re in the moment, but rewarding when you are done. If you are willing to spend time with Enthusia, you’ll develop skills to become a better race driver. You just might not have a smile while you’re doing it. Readers looking for a more intense and serious experience than Gran Turismo or Forza offer should add at least 10 points to the score.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Daytona II Power Edition:

Go hunt down a deluxe cab, strap yourself in, select manual trans, before a nice meaty corner shift down to 1st (or 2nd) gear, you'll notice that you are redlining like crazy then turn the car in a nice smooth manner. Watch as your car drifts in a godlike manner and comes to life. Now control this beast. It’s no good reading about this. You need to experience it. Don’t pick the Chums Gum Car since it’s not that good to drift in because of the high yaw tolerance. :)

(Note: There are many ways to drift in Daytona II but it's better (IE more fun) finding those out yourself)

Monk

Banned
GXAlan said:
http://firingsquad.com/games/enthusia_review/

Here was my conclusion

Enthusia is like Dance Dance Revolution. While it’s possible to play the game with the standard gamepad, you really need a specialized input-device to play the game as it should be played. For DDR, it used to be $80 gamepads (before those budget mats were released) and so for Enthusia, the special controller is the Driving Force Pro.

In terms of gameplay, Enthusia isn’t that fun – the term fatiguing truly captures the experience. However, it is like going to a gym and getting tired. Weight lifting itself isn’t any fun – it’s having the strength at the end of the day that motivates you. Driving in Enthusia is a workout, frustrating while you’re in the moment, but rewarding when you are done. If you are willing to spend time with Enthusia, you’ll develop skills to become a better race driver. You just might not have a smile while you’re doing it. Readers looking for a more intense and serious experience than Gran Turismo or Forza offer should add at least 10 points to the score.

Wow, that is the single best conclusion content i have seen, short, deep and relatable. GJ

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GeoNeo said:
Daytona II Power Edition:

Go hunt down a deluxe cab, strap yourself in, select manual trans, before a nice meaty corner shift down to 1st (or 2nd) gear, you'll notice that you are redlining like crazy then turn the car in a nice smooth manner. Watch as your car drifts in a godlike manner and comes to life. Now control this beast. It’s no good reading about this. You need to experience it. Don’t pick the Chums Gum Car since it’s not that good to drift in because of the high yaw tolerance. :)

(Note: There are many ways to drift in Daytona II but it's better (IE more fun) finding those out yourself)

I think you're confused. Daytona USA (1) had lovely drift mechanics. There was no Daytona 2.
(deletes dirty images from mind)

Sorry to ask, but isn't Ridge Racer (at least the PSP version) a drift racing game too? I'm wondering because nobody said it yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
johnjohnson said:
Sorry to ask, but isn't Ridge Racer (at least the PSP version) a drift racing game too? I'm wondering because nobody said it yet.

not really, no. Its a game where the car animates sideways round a corner. But thats as far as the comparison goes. There is no real control over the slide.

In some ways RR has gone backwards with regards to its mechanics. While never realistic, I seem to remember having some finesse over the powerslides in RR1 on the PSone.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
-SD- said:
Lots of drifters love Live for Speed

I'm not a drifter but I still adore LFS :)

LOL are you kidding? LFS is a boring sim where drifting and exiting a corner with some speed is pretty much impossible and a chore at best. If you want to get into sims with excellent and deep drift physics, look no further
than the classic GPL.

-SD-

Banned
isamu said:
LOL are you kidding? LFS is a boring sim... If you want to get into sims with excellent and deep drift physics, look no further than the classic GPL.
...and GPL is not a "boring sim" then? :) LFS is one of the best sims there is. That has been said by countless people. So is GPL.

If drifting in LFS is giving you trouble then you need to think about how to setup the car and how to drive. Or have you just tried the demo? The full version has much more powerful cars...

GeoNeo

I disagree.
mrklaw said:
I think you're confused. Daytona USA (1) had lovely drift mechanics. There was no Daytona 2.
(deletes dirty images from mind)

I think you're confused. Daytona USA 2 had great controlled drift mechanics. Which take more skill then in Daytona USA 1.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
GeoNeo said:
I think you're confused. Daytona USA 2 had great controlled drift mechanics. Which take more skill then in Daytona USA 1.

I've been trying to tell people this for years! They just don't get it...thus the D2 hating continues.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GeoNeo said:

OK, there is a tiny possibility you are right. I put hundreds of pounds into my local Daytona 1 machine, so maybe I was so honed on its mechanics, that I just couldn't gel with the way Daytona 2 worked.

Gee

No GT4 love?

k it's true, with the default settings of the cars they drift like a brick, but when you customize your settings (or get them from a faq) the cars can drift like crazy. (it just requires some more skill then outrun 2 or RC2.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DCharlie said:
shox_ps2_03.jpg

great game.

Exactly what I was going to post. Maybe not the best drifting game available, but sadly overlooked and a great game indeed. :)

_Angelus_

Banned
rod furlong said:
If you don't like RR's drifting you won't like Outrun's.

the PGR and Rallisport people called it.

Hell no. I can' tstand RR's drifting technique but OR2's is pretty much the best out there to me,as far as arcade racing goes.

Gee

Angelus said:
Hell no. I can' tstand RR's drifting technique but OR2's is pretty much the best out there to me,as far as arcade racing goes.

Burnout 2 kicks the living daylights out of OR2 IMHO
The drifting in this game is pretty nice too

isamu

Gee said:
Burnout 2 kicks the living daylights out of OR2 IMHO
The drifting in this game is pretty nice too

rollopa3yy.gif
rollopa3yy.gif
rollopa3yy.gif
rollopa3yy.gif

isamu

Instigator said:
Outrun 2!

Lock this thread.

Man, can you imagine how better the home version of OR2 would have been with a proper force feedback steering wheel?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
mrklaw said:
OK, there is a tiny possibility you are right. I put hundreds of pounds into my local Daytona 1 machine, so maybe I was so honed on its mechanics, that I just couldn't gel with the way Daytona 2 worked.

It takes time to adjust to the feel of it all, but once you do the game is a riot. :) I think the reason Daytona 2 is so misunderstood is because people just did not give it enough time, maybe they just wanted the same feel and control of Daytona 1 with upgraded graphics.

Shinobi

Daytona 2's powersliding is ten times easier then Daytona 1's. I never was able to completely master it in the original game, at least on the Seaside Street circuit anyway (it was beyond easy on Dinosaur Canyon), but it didn't take anytime at all to figure it out in Daytona 2.

Best drifting games...hmmm. I guess Colin McRae 05, though a part of me will always prefer Colin McRae 2.0 on the PC. Sega Rally 1 & 2 (preferably the PC version for 2). OutRun 2. V-Rally 3 on XBox if you can find it for ten bucks might be worth a whirl. And Daytona DC wasn't nearly as bad as some people said. Oh yeah, Virtua Racing might be my favourite drifting racer ever. That's all that comes to mind at this point.

Manic D

Powerslide on the PC was my favorite. I think it's been mentioned already that it doesn't work with XP, though.

callous

isamu said:
Battle Gear 3? Is this a game in the Tokyo High Battle series? Is it out for the US? Link to where I can read more about it

No, that'd be Kaido Battle, the other game I mentioned. As for Battle Gear 3, there aren't that many resources around for it, you just need to believe the few of us who know about it. I hope for your own sake you aquire it if you like drifting games and that whole Ridge Racer hyper reality type design.

There are a few videos here, apparently: http://ps2.ign.com/objects/662/662409.html

Top Bottom