• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

are there any good 'drift' racing games?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Watching that 1up roundtable got me thinking about this. RR6 is fine, but way too quick and the powerslides are very arcadey and simplistic.

Are there any good racing games that focus on drifting in a slightly more controlled way? I loved the handling in Daytona USA, the way you could subtely control a powerslide with opposite lock and the throttle. Something like that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm sure ps2 would be your best bet, but i really enjoyed Touge R for xbox. probably need a modded box to play it though.

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/L83-00001.html

sept03_import7_touge3.jpg

gtmax said:
Look no further than Enthusia Professional Racing. If a car can drift in real life, you can drift it on this game.

http://rapidshare.de/files/6004564/Rx-7_uphill.wmv.html

Check out the proof.

He wants simplicity though, it'll take you sometime to drift properly in Enthusia. Although it's probably the most fun you'll have drifting in a game once you learn it.

For arcade based racers i'd say C1 Racing Battle is the best. EB is listing a Tokyo Xtreme Racing Drift and I think that could be what it is.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Outrun 2 is all drifting, if you want to drift its your game. Of course if you want to have fun I'd stay far away from that flaming POS.

miyuru

RUNNING IN THE NINETIES!!!!!

It's all about Initial D man. Go track down a machine and waste all your money on it. Hopefully the wheel isn't loose as shit yet :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks for the suggestions. I have a Japanese PS2, so I can trawl play-asia etc.

Didn't like outrun 2 much. The drifting felt artificial to me. I know Daytona's was as well, but it felt good.

Belfast

Yeah, just because you can drift in certain racing games doesn't make it a DRIFTING GAME. Otherwise, Mario Kart might as well be a drifter under those conditions.

Still, drifting is only included in some of these games because of the featured cars' abilities to do so in real life, not because the gameplay focuses around your ability to make use of it.

callous

Accept no substitutes. Get Battle Gear 3 (PS2). It fucking rules. Much more fun than Kaido Battle (though that's also a great drifting game). Great graphics, awesome control, scintillating tracks. Battle Gear 3 is your game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
IJoel said:

Believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IJoel how did you miss OR2?

Oh and don't forget RalliSport Challenge part Deux :D

Powerslide on the PC. I agree with this one. Sadly it doesn't work on my computer anymore.. damn you xp, or damn you powerslide developers.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
SolidSnakex said:
Here's C1 Racing Battles official site.

http://www.genki.co.jp/games/rb/movie/0228_1.html

Theres a bunch of drifting movies from the game on that page.

Why isn't this game out in the U.S.???????

callous said:
Accept no substitutes. Get Battle Gear 3 (PS2). It fucking rules. Much more fun than Kaido Battle (though that's also a great drifting game). Great graphics, awesome control, scintillating tracks. Battle Gear 3 is your game.

Battle Gear 3? Is this a game in the Tokyo High Battle series? Is it out for the US? Link to where I can read more about it?

Mr Jared

Schafer said:
Outrun 2 is all drifting, if you want to drift its your game. Of course if you want to have fun I'd stay far away from that flaming POS.

QFT. Other games to consider-

Initial D: Special Stage (PS2)
Rallisport Challenge 2 (XBOX)
RC Pro-AM (NES)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Shox , by EA *bullfrog*

The Sega Rally influence is pretty much out in the open though - it's as close to a Sega Rally game as you could get without waiting for SR3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Err, that is NOT the same game others have mentioned. The Initial D game being recommended is a Sega game, actually...

isamu

SolidSnakex said:
Here's C1 Racing Battles official site.

http://www.genki.co.jp/games/rb/movie/0228_1.html

Theres a bunch of drifting movies from the game on that page.

Why isn't this game out in the U.S.???????

callous said:

Battle Gear 3? Is this a game in the Tokyo High Battle series? Is it out for the US? Link to where I can read more about it

isamu said:
Well since I already watched Initial D it was easy to get into this game, (although its not required) the music is distinctive and high energy keeping the tension up. It has the same player vs player intense struggle like a fighting game (which was also done by TXR, also recommend). The game is really about how well you can drive despite your opponent, which is displayed when you play the story mode. I haven't even finished it yet since some of the battles are too challenging.

Top Bottom