• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Steam Deck and Rog Ally, gaming handhelds or mobile PCs?

Are Steam Deck and Rog Ally, gaming handhelds or mobile PCs?

• Definitely Gaming PCs.

• Are you serious, of course they are gaming handhelds.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BootsLoader

Banned
So, after watching the latest Digital Foundry video I was thinking if those are Gaming PCs or Gaming handhelds. I think they are more gaming handhelds and less gaming PCs. They are build upon PC architecture as the rest of gaming consoles. They are running Desktop operating systems but, on the other hand you can "install" operating systems on current gaming consoles also so.

What is your opinion on this? I would like to know your point of view. Thank you for your time.

Guilty_AI

They work like PCs, you can even configure a PC to have the Deck's OS and interface. The games they run are also the same version common PC's run.

Its a PC custom made to feel like a handheld console.

They are running Desktop operating systems but, on the other hand you can "install" operating systems on current gaming consoles also so.
Afaik, you can but you don't have full access to its hardware capabilities.

Last edited:
Handhelds (one Linux based and the other Windows 11)

But some people take this shit way too seriously, like it's some sort of a dig :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Interfectum

Sitting The Good Doctor GIF by ABC Network

Topher

Gold Member
I ain’t gunna use a deck to type up word docs. it’s a gaming unit.

Sure....but any gaming PC can handle Word. Add a keyboard and mouse and you can all that non-gaming PC stuff you want.

Now if you mean use Windows with the built-in handheld controls.........oh hell no. lol

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

In the end its a question of content vs form.
If you differentiate a console from a PC by the form, its a console. If you differentiate by the content, its a PC.

brian0057

Banned
Nothing pretend about it. Simply a PC in a handheld form factor, but can still operate as full-fledged person computer.

kkbe496aeaw91.jpg
Yeah, that's a no from me. If I don't already have a PC, I'd just go for a laptop.
I can game and do work. And the only peripherals I'd need to buy are an Xbox controller, a mouse, and a pair of headphones.
A Steam Deck makes more sense when you already have a PC.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, that's a no from me. If I don't already have a PC, I'd just go for a laptop.
I can game and do work. And the only peripherals I'd need to buy are an Xbox controller, a mouse, and a pair of headphones.
A Steam Deck makes more sense when you already have a PC.

Sure.......that's fine. I'm just saying the use case of Steam Deck or Rog Ally as a PC is legit.

KiteGr

The Deck is a PC in the shape of a console. It comes with a custom operating system pre-installed, but you can switch to a traditional operating system and doesn't stop you from installing anything in there.
It also play PC games and can run PC programs and products... Duh!?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hybrid for sure. Buy yourself a USB Dock and controller and you have an awesome hybrid console.

I played my deck probs 70 / 30 in favour of handheld but it's deffo used a lot docked.

BootsLoader

Banned
Do any of you use the steam deck or other similar handhelds as a PC? I mean, doing work or browsing the Internet and stuff like that.

That’s very interesting, which browser are you using? What kind of software do you install? Are you using it as emulator too?

I have Edge installed and use Emudeck as a launcher of sorts, which collates the actual emulation software (RetroArch, Dolphin etc emulators) which are also installed. The handheld consoling UI is literally just that, just a controller friendly front-end for you to launch games. Once you switch to "desktop mode" you're using the Steam Deck as a Linux PC.

BootsLoader

Banned
I have Edge installed and use Emudeck as a launcher of sorts, which collates the actual emulation software (RetroArch, Dolphin etc emulators) which are also installed. The handheld consoling UI is literally just that, just a controller friendly front-end for you to launch games. Once you switch to "desktop mode" you're using the Steam Deck as a Linux PC.
Thanks, that was a clear explanation, so they are Mobile PCs after all.

Top Bottom