• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArcadeGAF! INSERT COINS

panda-zebra

There was never much in the way of real arcades where we lived, it was only when we'd go away to places like Newquay and trashier parts of North Wales that we'd get to see them, oh also on a day out in Blackpool or Southport maybe or if a funfair came to town with its bandits and shoddy old cabinets.

Star Wars games are the only ones I remember by name, where you sat inside and saw magical graphics that seemed impossible. We had a Mattel Aquarius at home, it was a big deal for us :)

There's no Hikaru emulation though, so Planet Harriers is probably lost when the last cabinet breaks, and there can't have been many of those to begin with. :( That's the saddest thing, really. For as many games that have been preserved through emulation, there are plenty of others that have been or are going to be lost because the state of the arcade industry means they won't be kept operational.

Apparently Demul can emulate the Hikaru system and Planet Harriers, haven't tried it myself yet though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpNwUFlXepI

Bydobob

Arcades were the reason I skipped classes as a teen. I had a C64 back home but the thrill of the arcades was something else entirely. Everything was just shinier, louder and more exciting. I remember the sense of awe seeing undulating roads in Outrun for the first time. It was a world away from the flat, featureless tracks in Pitstop II at home. The day I discovered shoot 'em ups though was when a weekly visit turned into something approaching a crack habit. I had an ability at these games that would draw crowds, and quickly established some high score rivalries that drove me to get better.

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments of arcades being dark and dingy places, but in my view that added to the appeal. Far from being nerdy, arcade games were edgy and cool. I must've passively smoked a lifetime of cigarettes in these places years before I took the habit up for real! I was never too interested in hanging around the dodgy characters though, I just got my head down and played. Probably saved me a few scrapes.

Those who are considering re-visiting the classics through MAME what the hell are you waiting for? Invest in a good arcade stick and away you go, laptop or desktop. The classic shooters in particular have aged brilliantly and are every bit as addictive as you remember them. Every now and then I'll go through a MAME phase and modern games simply don't get a look in.

Kadin

Wow this brings back some great memories. When I was in high school, my best friend and I would cut class all the time and head over to a local pizza shop. They had two arcade machines that we poured more money into than I'll ever admit. Then we'd share a pizza and soda until we returned home. It was so fun being so bad and cutting. Ah good times.

First game that we played the shit out of: Top Gunner. So much fun leading up to a great ending

fP8yQHu.jpg
xyA8rUg.jpg

And then the one right next to it, Twin Cobra. Man that game was hard. We never did finish this one.

QKCnZOi.png
C8ZUh5i.png

This really reminds me that I need to invest in a MAME cabinet sooner rather than later. Love me some arcade games.

Same. I've been saying this shit for years and I've still never done it.

First game that we played the shit out of: Top Gunner. So much fun leading up to a great ending

fP8yQHu.jpg
xyA8rUg.jpg

Topgunner / Jackal was my game. I pumped quarter after quarter in that bad boy when I was younger

Biker19

Banned
"INSERT COINS"?
You guys must love the mobile games market :p

Arcades =/= Mobile gaming market.

For one thing, games were always fully complete in Arcades in comparison to mobile gaming (in which you got to buy something just to help you pass a certain level, or to level up your characters, etc.).

iamvin22

Industry Verified
i was a regional manager for namco cyberstation here in the bay area. was the best job ever. arcades really rule.

i was a regional manager for namco cyberstation here in the bay area. was the best job ever. arcades really rule.

While I wasn't a regional manager I was employed at the local Namco Timeout arcade and it was one of my best jobs ever. Getting hands on with all the new games first was easily the best job of my time.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
While I wasn't a regional manager I was employed at the local Namco Timeout arcade and it was one of my best jobs ever. Getting hands on with all the new games first was easily the best job of my time.

oh man it was great.best job i ever had. the only time it sucked was counting tokens and telling people they have to leave because they have a drink. so much drama with drink handlers.

Anyone else remember the wireframe tank game hidden in NBA Jam? My friends and I must have spent 4 hours playing it one day when we found it on a cabinet and it was free.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Arcades =/= Mobile gaming market.

For one thing, games were always fully complete in Arcades in comparison to mobile gaming (in which you got to buy something just to help you pass a certain level, or to level up your characters, etc.).

Yup, nothing's stopping you from seeing the whole game but your own skill.

--

Thought this was interesting (a Polygon article on an indie team trying to make an indie arcade machine):

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/17/5419710/killer-queen-indiecade-east-2014-indie-games-arcades-struggle

I think it's interesting how indie games are almost the new arcade games - certainly I can't think of any recent AAA games that have all of the aspects of an arcade experience.

squall23

nxRLs9s.jpg

Why the hell does Border Break STILL not have a PC port? It friggin' uses a joystick to move and a mouse to aim for god's sake!

I didn't grow up with arcade gaming. In fact, when I was very young it was arcade types of games that I wasn't very interested in. I wasn't very good at video games, and challenging games are games that I stopped playing very quickly. I fell in love with Japanese RPGs after first playing Final Fantasy IV. And I liked how my time I spent felt rewarded.

My parents also owned and bought consoles. They had an Atari 2600, and bought me a Nintendo NES for my 4th birthday. So I've always been a rather console gamer rather than an arcade gamer or a PC gamer.

However, I was always a little bit interested in arcade gaming. Especially since I liked Fighting games. One of the few arcade games I ever played was Street Fighter. Which I played with a lot of friends and had a good time.

I also fell in love with Bemani games, particularly Dance Dance Revolution. And now have fallen in love with Beatmania IIDX, and fallen in love with the Bemani games again, as well as STGs. I play a lot of SHMUPs or STGs like Touhou and DoDonPachi.

They were too frustrating for me as a child, I liked how pretty all the bullets on the screen looked, but I wasn't very good at them and I would have rather bought a Japanese RPG. Today, I'm really into Danmaku games and have been rediscovering the genre.

I feel like I'm more of an arcade gamer than ever before. And I can afford to go to a local arcade and spend quarters on a lot of games. Which is sad, because the arcade culture here in America seems smaller than it has ever been. I really envy Japan for how much of an arcade culture they still seem to have. And all of the arcade games I would like to play don't seem to be available. For instance, the DoDonPachi games and Beatmania IIDX.

I hope I can at least find a Dance Dance Revolution X2 machine locally, because I think I would have a lot of fun dancing to Smooooch.

Since I'm quite young compared to a lot of users here, I wasn't very exposed to the arcade scene as the rest of you were. But I do remember there being an arcade near Acton in West London which I always had a blast going to. Stuff like Tekken and House of The Dead. Then I went on holiday to Istanbul a few times and there was an arcade I frequented which included Tekken and HoTD, but also had older stuff like X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom. Had such a good time playing those games.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Feel free to ask here or in the dedicated topic, I'm sure people here, including myself, would love to figure out which games they were if you haven't found out already.

Thanks for this topic btw, made me reminisce of some happy times when I was a kid. :)

Actually, a lot of Sega Model 2 and 3 games are emulated very well with the Model2 and Supermodel emulators, respectively. Motor Raid is a Model 2A game and works pretty much perfectly on the Model 2 emulator. Here's the homepage for Model 2 (1.1a is the latest version) and head out here for the Supermodel (Model 3) emulator. Getting the ROMs is another matter but with a bit of googling you can find them. Also Daytona 2 works great on the Supermodel emulator, although I think there's some inconsistency in the loudness of some effects.

For me, arcade games hold a very special meaning. When I was a kid, my family would go to my grandparents in the summer during the 90s and me, my brother, a cousin and a very good friend would go to the arcades every day. We used to beg for a bit of allowance from our folks who would reluctantly give us a bit of cash. There was an arcade parlor (a few of them actually, surprisingly for a small town) with more than a dozen games. We only had a C64 for the longest time so for the most of my childhood I didn't own more current systems and most of my contact with more advanced and modern games was through friends and gaming parlors.

I remember a genuine Thunderblade cabinet, a flightstick and all and I thought it was mindblowing. The camera changes its position? Holy shit! :) It was the upright cabinet, not the complex looking one with the seat and everything. Didn't play it much but I drooled over other people playing it.

qeOk0ki.jpg

What I did play a lot was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs or as most people there called it - Mustapha. Everybody used to pick him since he's the most balanced, all-around character. I absolutely love that game even to this day. I think it's one of the most well crafted beat'em ups Capcom's ever made. There are more advanced and complex games out there, but the responsiveness, the timing and feel of the punches is incredible. We all played the shit out of it, remembered all of the boss strategies and even managed to complete it with 2P with 3 or 4 coins/continues.
I remember an anecdote where the coin slot bugged out I guess and it automatically activated 99 credits. Me and my brother already had coins so we just pretended to use them, sat down and played for an hour or two, since nobody had noticed yet. We even went to my cousin, called him and our friend, went back and it still had like 70 credits left but the other kids in the parlor already caught on and that day, everybody played "the Mustapha game". There was a girl that worked there that was really nice, I believe she was the daughter of the owner, she figured out what was going on but let us all play anyway. :) She used to occasionally give free credits to kids so it was our favorite place to hang out.

The cabinet we played on wasn't actually upright like in this picture, looked more like a custom made wooden candy cabinet, probably bootlegged stuff. A lot of the cabinets in that place were like that.

bcpGphT.jpg

Another Capcom brawler we used to play a lot was Warriors of Fate. It had the addition of mountable horses that could dominate the screen if used correctly. Also lots of gore, dismemberment and blood. I remember the game being very hard for pretty much everyone that came to the parlor and one day a couple of older dudes (as in late teens probably) got through most of the game, up to a level we haven't seen before etc. So they ran out of coins and we asked them if we could chip in and continue their game to which they agreed. So my brother and I sat down and continued the game and I think we spent about 7-8 coins (yes, we were that bad at it) and finally completed it. It was an exhilarating moment because a lot of the kids gathered around us, it was quite the crowd and we were in the spotlight. And then the final boss just jumped off the god damn cliff. It was the most anti-climactic ending to a game we've seen 'till then, little did we know it was the bad ending, which we found out about years later.

Couldn't find a proper image of a WoF cabinet so here's the original japanese version (Tenchi wo Kurau II) in what looks like a candy cabinet.
vBZ4eYD.jpg

Probably the most authentic and better looking of the cabinets in that place was the X-Men 4 Player version. The four of us played it a lot and the best bit about the game, aside from the awesomely animated graphics was learning the boss strategies, observing other people that knew some details, figuring out other stuff by yourself and so on. It was loud, flickery and full of colors with Colossus' HOOOOOAAAAAAA shout. :)

I think it was exactly this version of the cabinet.
UBsxEfO.jpg

The only arcade game I've ever mastered, so to speak, was Captain America and the Avengers, and it was in that same game parlor. By mastered I mean I learned the game so well that I could complete it with one coin. I even did that two or three times in a row just for kicks. I abused the jumping beam attack, mostly with Iron Man or Vision and figured out some tricks all by myself. Since I used to, shamefully, use a lot of cheats in games as a kid (mostly on C64), this was a huge deal for me. That summer the high-score table on that cabinet was mostly filled with my signature. Felt all sorts of proud about that. :)
I believe I had memorized all of the cutscenes and dialogues in the game, down to the ending text. Loved it even more so because of the broken English. "Why should it goes well?" is still one of my favorite video game quotes.
One day a younger kid approached me as I was entering the initials and asked me what they meant. He noticed me completing the game over and over for days and saw the initials in the high-scores. I explained they were just the starting letters of my name, my brother's and my cousin's. Felt a bit like a celebrity that day.

I guess I played a lot of brawlers, huh. :)
LJgXQZM.jpg

Man, there were a lot more games there, Track & Field, Captain Commando, P-47, Three Wonders, Sunset Riders etc. I remember another place where they had Mortal Kombat, Zero Team (which still isn't emulated, sadly, although there's some progress) and Cow Boys of Moo Mesa. The Mortal Kombat cabinet started to bug out after a while, showing sprite trails and all sorts of flickering, it was wild.
Some time earlier, was really young, I remember my brother playing Green Beret (Rush'n Attack), Soldier of Light (Xain'd Sleena) and Sky Fox. We actually only remembered the music and the fact there was a Valkyrie riding a space dragon in Star Fox and searched for the game for years. We were amazed at how accurately we've remember the tune.

That social part of playing in the arcades was an amazing thing. People would try to trick you into letting them play instead of you so they could "help you out" as they "knew how to beat this boss", gather around if somebody was beating the final boss, meet random people that would share a 2p game with you etc. The games were loud, colorful, with huge, beautifully animated characters and backgrounds. It was our temple where we'd worship these magical machines with joysticks and big buttons and feed them coins for their heavenly cause. Happy times.

Great post! I missed this.

Those Capcom brawlers were everywhere, weren't they? I remember being wowed by Final Fight and then playing it on the Amiga.

Just out of interest, how would you categorise an arcade game (aside from being in an arcade hur hur)? I've been thinking about it recently from a game design perspective, just trying to compare them to the modern games I'm playing at the moment.

Neff

Blackpool.

Had a grandmother who lived there and me and my brother would spend each summer with her every year between the age of 10 - 18 while my parents got up to mischief without us. Visited during lots of Christmases as well. It was an amazing way to grow up and entirely defined one of my favourite hobbies and gaming preferences which persist to this day. Space Harrier, Rolling Thunder, TMNT, Simpsons, Shinobi, Street Fighter II, Star Wars, Virtua Racing, Ridge Racer, Daytona, Bubble Bobble, Out Run, Strider, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Tekken, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Moonwalker, Gradius, After Burner, Xybots, Virtua Fighter, Aliens, Shadow Dancer, Robocop... all of them I first played in some Blackpool arcade, and there were just so many of them at the time. Sadly very different now.

Getting fucking misty eyed at that Funland pic. Loved Coral Island as well. Central Pier was easily better than North or South imo (although North was about ten mins away from me). The Winter Gardens had a couple of sweet little arcade spots in them. Some good stuff at the Pleasure Beach and Sand Castle, too.

Really, really miss those magical times.

DoubleTap

This is the closest I'll ever get to owning an Arcade anything. Coupled with a JB'd iPad 2and switched out the buttons with Sanwa (to get rid of the noisy stock ones) I'm pretty satisfied. Don't even need to dedicate a room for it :)

I also have a stash of arcade sticks as I've always treated them as mementos of a past era. Thank goodness for the fighting game community/genre.

Trakdown

Great thread!

I'm lucky enough that I got to go to an arcade fairly recently when I went to Chicago. If you head there, I highly recommend Galloping Ghost - awesome selection, great prices. As far as machines go:

1086127906.jpg

NBA Jam TE was awesome, but I was hyped when I finally found a version that had the MK characters.

1181241628112.jpg

One of the things I miss about arcades were the motion machines. Full sit down cockpit machines that actually moved. I was lucky enough to play this one (After Burner II) at Union Station in Indianapolis.

118124211046.jpg

Another one I had a lot of fun with. This one had some wild motion, only got to play it once at Superstition Springs in Arizona, but man, it was a blast. I need to get the PS2 import so I can play it on my projector.

dd2arcade.gif

I loved Double Dragon, but this took it up a notch. I remember my jaw hitting the floor when Marion got shot and killed right off the bat. Still one of my all time favorites.

1181242183106.jpg

Futuristic Sci-fi and rotary joysticks. Laser Bazookas. Enough Said.

1181242138205.jpg

I put in a ton of money on this game. Probably 20-30 dollars in my lifetime.

I could go on and on, but I think I'll leave it with my fave arcade experience yet:

image-thumb27.png

Got to play this in Shinjuku in 2011. Gundam game with actual controls - didn't last long but I could see dropping a ton on this game. Also was a big fan of the full size car replicas you could drive with Initial D at Joypolis.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Had a grandmother who lived there and me and my brother would spend each summer with her every year between the age of 10 - 18 while my parents got up to mischief without us. Visited during lots of Christmases as well. It was an amazing way to grow up and entirely defined one of my favourite hobbies and gaming preferences which persist to this day. Space Harrier, Rolling Thunder, TMNT, Simpsons, Shinobi, Street Fighter II, Star Wars, Virtua Racing, Ridge Racer, Daytona, Bubble Bobble, Out Run, Strider, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Tekken, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Moonwalker, Gradius, After Burner, Xybots, Virtua Fighter, Aliens, Shadow Dancer, Robocop... all of them I first played in some Blackpool arcade, and there were just so many of them at the time. Sadly very different now.

Getting fucking misty eyed at that Funland pic. Loved Coral Island as well. Central Pier was easily better than North or South imo (although North was about ten mins away from me). The Winter Gardens had a couple of sweet little arcade spots in them. Some good stuff at the Pleasure Beach and Sand Castle, too.

Really, really miss those magical times.

Yeah!! North Pier was where my dad worked! That's where it all started...

You know your stuff! Mr B's was my favourite, but the further down the prom you went the cheaper the games got.

Austin, TX, here. I'm about to head into Arcade UFO. Today is Free Play Day with the fighting games here. =)

(And by Free Play, I mean pay $5 to play as much as you want for the rest of the day.)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I could go on and on, but I think I'll leave it with my fave arcade experience yet:

image-thumb27.png

Got to play this in Shinjuku in 2011. Gundam game with actual controls - didn't last long but I could see dropping a ton on this game. Also was a big fan of the full size car replicas you could drive with Initial D at Joypolis.

Please do go on and on - it's amazing hearing the stories and seeing games I'd forgotten. What was the name of the motion game (not After Burner)? I remember playing that... and the Gundam game reminds me of G-LOC with it's 360 degree rotating cabinet (in my local arcade it actually had an attendant):

r360.jpg

---

Seeing those reminds me of these two amazing games:

starblade.jpg

Starblade was a 3D space shooter - it was almost like Star Fox but a bit less furry. I must have poured money into this just for the sound - the cabinet had a really huge bass rumble so the opening sequence felt incredibly immersive.

Even more insane was this:

0.jpg

Namco's Galaxian 3: Project Dragoon was actually a cinema! You would go in and sit - 6 player - and it was a rail shooter but on a massive cinema screen. I only played it once because it was so expensive but it took my breath away. It's mad how ambitious the designs got. We also had this one nearby:

ridge-racer-full-scale.jpg

It was Ridge Racer but in a full size car. I don't think there was any more to it.

The money that Namco must have spent in the mid-90s - the scale of these things was bonkers.

One of my favorites during the mid 90's was Tokyo Wars. Game was an absolute blast to play, two units could be networked for 2v2 multiplayer. I think you could also 4v4 but I'm not really sure. The unit that my Putt Putt had in Plano TX even had feedback in the chair so each time you fired a tank round the whole chair rumbled. The chair rumbled while driving as well giving you the feel that you were in an actual tank.

4ff6gvG.jpg

Great post! I missed this.

Those Capcom brawlers were everywhere, weren't they? I remember being wowed by Final Fight and then playing it on the Amiga.

Just out of interest, how would you categorise an arcade game (aside from being in an arcade hur hur)? I've been thinking about it recently from a game design perspective, just trying to compare them to the modern games I'm playing at the moment.

Well thanks, this thread evoked some of my fondest childhood memories so I felt I'd share.

Yeah, brawlers were the shit and Capcom really knew how to make them. That's right, Final Fight, the first time my brother and I saw it, we were dumbstruck at how huge the characters were. Everything seemed incredibly well drawn and animated, with these huge ass characters. Everyone there would mostly pick Guy and called him "the ninja dude". I never got into Final Fight as much as with later games but I still love it very much. There's a mention of it in Polygon's Street Fighter 2 article, was planned as Street Fighter '89 and so on before they changed the name. It's interesting to look at the Street Fighter series from that perspective, just how different the planned sequel was with the transition from versus to a brawler, and then back to versus again with SF2. Almost like Warcraft's jump to WoW.

Btw, Final Fight came on multiple floppies on the Amiga, right? I remember my brother telling me that he played it at a friend's, kept having to change the disk halfway though a level and waiting to load. Insane stuff. :)

As for the definition of arcade games, I guess it's a bit of a tricky question, especially with today's variety of genres. I think one of the most important aspects of those games was the time limit. They gave off a very tangible feel of urgency or time constraint. Also, I just searched "arcade longplays" on youtube and the longest games are usually around the 1 hour mark, most taking half an hour or less to finish. They were specifically designed to be very short yet very hard, often to the point of cheating.

I guess that would be the second important aspect, difficulty. Arcade games most often than not are extremely difficult, challenging, without hand holding, punishing and forcing the players to memorize patterns, sharpen their reflexes and get better and better by repetition. So they were designed for shorter bursts of gameplay with the promise of an end game and the always present notion of game over. The life and score based gameplay are also intertwined with the difficulty.

Now there's the interesting thing I think, that the time limit and increased difficulty were very strongly linked to the coin operated system. It looks very similar to today's microtransactions in smartphone/Facebook games when you think about it, as you would practically be able to pay to win if you had enough coins. There were no save games, only lives (well, there are some with passwords I believe?) so you buy more lives with real cash, if you want to, that is if the game gave you the choice to continue. Yet it's interesting that it mostly didn't happen like that, people would continuously look at the game over screen, sometimes continue but eventually just try again from the start. I guess it's also linked to the prices of coins/credits as well as the majority of the population (kids, teens) that perhaps didn't have that much cash to throw away on a game at a time. Now that I think about it, this lives based system could be called as a type of permadeath, wouldn't it? One could say that a lot of today's rougelike/permadeath games are very arcadey in that sense.

There's also the dynamic nature of the gameplay, so certain genres don't really fall into the "arcade" type, even though they might be adapted to better suit it. Mostly everything that's realtime easily fits in. The only popular "turn based" arcade genres are casino/card games, mahjong, quizes and pool games, as far as I can tell right now. Looking at MAME's Catlist genres, the most prominent are racing/driving, brawlers, versus fighters, platformers, shmups, puzzles (outlines, drops, matches), lightgun shooters, sports and maze.

Another thing, I'm having difficulty thinking of a non-Japanese arcade game (talking about older games of course) or at least not developed in Asia? Guess if you want to define an arcade game, first thing you should check is if it's Japanese, heheh.

I'm probably missing some important stuff here, but I'd say a lot of these aspects are defining for arcade games, no matter the genre. I'm not mentioning the player's motivation that much, like the need for prestige, wanting to beat the high score, rivalry etc. since I'm trying to determine the core aspects of the design of these games.

Now, if I were to condense this wall of text into one definition, it might look like this:

An arcade game is defined by realtime gameplay, a set time limit, limited lives, progression divided into several separate levels/worlds, a high level of difficulty that forces the player to memorize patterns and improve his/her reflexes so it's designed for shorter bursts and with a full playtime of no more than 1 hour to completion and local co-op or competitive multiplayer. And mostly made in Japan.

I'd love to really sit down and come up with a unified definition of what an arcade game is that can be challenged and foolproof, since this is probably missing something and certain parts are debatable. Especially stuff like limited lives, 1 hour completion time or even difficulty. You can technically have an easy arcade game but then is it really one, without that challenge. Certain gameplay norms have changed so even if you have rechargeable health, it could still technically be an arcade game. Today's games are a mix of genres and styles so it's more of a question of how much of an arcade game it is.

Neff

Yeah!! North Pier was where my dad worked! That's where it all started...

You know your stuff! Mr B's was my favourite, but the further down the prom you went the cheaper the games got.

Forgot all about Mr B's. Was that the one with the rack of 10p cabs on the left with Thundercross, Shadow Dancer etc? Had a Power Drift in the middle for a long time IIRC. Loved that one. There was a really good one on the corner near the old Woolies that I can't remember the name of, too.

I'm looking at the prom now via google maps and it's crazy how different it all looks, while some of it is still there, probably filled with fruit machines and light gun/racing/dancing games and not much else.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well thanks, this thread evoked some of my fondest childhood memories so I felt I'd share.

Yeah, brawlers were the shit and Capcom really knew how to make them. That's right, Final Fight, the first time my brother and I saw it, we were dumbstruck at how huge the characters were. Everything seemed incredibly well drawn and animated, with these huge ass characters. Everyone there would mostly pick Guy and called him "the ninja dude". I never got into Final Fight as much as with later games but I still love it very much. There's a mention of it in Polygon's Street Fighter 2 article, was planned as Street Fighter '89 and so on before they changed the name. It's interesting to look at the Street Fighter series from that perspective, just how different the planned sequel was with the transition from versus to a brawler, and then back to versus again with SF2. Almost like Warcraft's jump to WoW.

Btw, Final Fight came on multiple floppies on the Amiga, right? I remember my brother telling me that he played it at a friend's, kept having to change the disk halfway though a level and waiting to load. Insane stuff. :)

Yeah, and it didn't work on the Amiga 500+! Nostalgia attack!!

As for the definition of arcade games, I guess it's a bit of a tricky question, especially with today's variety of genres. I think one of the most important aspects of those games was the time limit. They gave off a very tangible feel of urgency or time constraint. Also, I just searched "arcade longplays" on youtube and the longest games are usually around the 1 hour mark, most taking half an hour or less to finish. They were specifically designed to be very short yet very hard, often to the point of cheating.

I guess that would be the second important aspect, difficulty. Arcade games most often than not are extremely difficult, challenging, without hand holding, punishing and forcing the players to memorize patterns, sharpen their reflexes and get better and better by repetition. So they were designed for shorter bursts of gameplay with the promise of an end game and the always present notion of game over. The life and score based gameplay are also intertwined with the difficulty.

Now there's the interesting thing I think, that the time limit and increased difficulty were very strongly linked to the coin operated system. It looks very similar to today's microtransactions in smartphone/Facebook games when you think about it, as you would practically be able to pay to win if you had enough coins. There were no save games, only lives (well, there are some with passwords I believe?) so you buy more lives with real cash, if you want to, that is if the game gave you the choice to continue. Yet it's interesting that it mostly didn't happen like that, people would continuously look at the game over screen, sometimes continue but eventually just try again from the start. I guess it's also linked to the prices of coins/credits as well as the majority of the population (kids, teens) that perhaps didn't have that much cash to throw away on a game at a time. Now that I think about it, this lives based system could be called as a type of permadeath, wouldn't it? One could say that a lot of today's rougelike/permadeath games are very arcadey in that sense.

There's also the dynamic nature of the gameplay, so certain genres don't really fall into the "arcade" type, even though they might be adapted to better suit it. Mostly everything that's realtime easily fits in. The only popular "turn based" arcade genres are casino/card games, mahjong, quizes and pool games, as far as I can tell right now. Looking at MAME's Catlist genres, the most prominent are racing/driving, brawlers, versus fighters, platformers, shmups, puzzles (outlines, drops, matches), lightgun shooters, sports and maze.

Another thing, I'm having difficulty thinking of a non-Japanese arcade game (talking about older games of course) or at least not developed in Asia? Guess if you want to define an arcade game, first thing you should check is if it's Japanese, heheh.

I'm probably missing some important stuff here, but I'd say a lot of these aspects are defining for arcade games, no matter the genre. I'm not mentioning the player's motivation that much, like the need for prestige, wanting to beat the high score, rivalry etc. since I'm trying to determine the core aspects of the design of these games.

Now, if I were to condense this wall of text into one definition, it might look like this:

An arcade game is defined by realtime gameplay, a set time limit, limited lives, progression divided into several separate levels/worlds, a high level of difficulty that forces the player to memorize patterns and improve his/her reflexes so it's designed for shorter bursts and with a full playtime of no more than 1 hour to completion and local co-op or competitive multiplayer. And mostly made in Japan.

I'd love to really sit down and come up with a unified definition of what an arcade game is that can be challenged and foolproof, since this is probably missing something and certain parts are debatable. Especially stuff like limited lives, 1 hour completion time or even difficulty. You can technically have an easy arcade game but then is it really one, without that challenge. Certain gameplay norms have changed so even if you have rechargeable health, it could still technically be an arcade game. Today's games are a mix of genres and styles so it's more of a question of how much of an arcade game it is.

Definitely...I'm fascinated by the way that the arcade mentality (at least as discussed here) is there in modern 'indie' games and how it's been adapted. Hotline Miami is a great example of short burst reflex gameplay that demands memorisation and I think the genius of the game is in how quickly you can restart after death - it locks you into a death/retry loop which is really hard to get out of. Obviously, you don't need coins, but I think a lot of the way arcade games are/were designed has filtered through.

I think what I was thinking about when I started rambling on about arcade games was those things that lock you in and addict you - there's something really compulsive about them. One other thing is that I think there's an element of quick rewards too - whether its a 1UP or end of level bonuses - you're constantly being rewarded for what you are doing and the better you do, the more reward you get.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Forgot all about Mr B's. Was that the one with the rack of 10p cabs on the left with Thundercross, Shadow Dancer etc? Had a Power Drift in the middle for a long time IIRC. Loved that one. There was a really good one on the corner near the old Woolies that I can't remember the name of, too.

I'm looking at the prom now via google maps and it's crazy how different it all looks, while some of it is still there, probably filled with fruit machines and light gun/racing/dancing games and not much else.

Yeah...we went back about a year ago and there was really nothing, it was quite sad. Although we did find a Pac Man VS game which was quite good fun. It's completely cut price Las Vegas now.

Water

"INSERT COINS"?
You guys must love the mobile games market :p
No, the arcade market and (the stereotypical parts of) the mobile market are polar opposites. The arcade market shows you a game, and you have to pay for the opportunity to play it. If you mess up and lose, you'll have to pay to play again. But of course if the game is anything less than good, you won't pay again, you'll move to another machine. So any game that stands in an arcade is going to be at least pretty good, or else it wouldn't be there wasting space. On the other hand, the games are necessarily difficult, because otherwise they would be boring and people would get through them too quickly, and they wouldn't make money. Which means the players are seriously incentivized to play well, which means the arcade model results in good players as well as good games. This necessarily means a conflict with mass market, though: the average person doesn't want to be challenged, and would much rather spend 20 hours in a game being fed an illusion of being skilled than spend 20 hours in another game where they actually become skilled towards the end.

I wouldn't mind seeing the (actual) arcade business model take root on mobile - you know, just do micropayments of a couple of cents per credit from Google Wallet or something - if it led to games being arcade game quality.

Lurch666

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forums.html

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/default.asp

As well as here I like to hang out in these forums.

Like the OP I am an older gamer who grew up in arcades.Blackpool was the mecca for new arcade games back in the day.

There are quite a few people who collect and maintain classic arcade games and there's one dude who has occasional partys and invites a select few of us over to play his collection of arcade games.It's like being in the 80's again and it's great there's dudes who work so hard to keep the arcade scene alive.

SOME-MIST

There are quite a few people who collect and maintain classic arcade games and there's one dude who has occasional partys and invites a select few of us over to play his collection of arcade games.It's like being in the 80's again and it's great there's dudes who work so hard to keep the arcade scene alive.

last year I actually went to my first shmupsmeet in Chicago (where I'm from) and it's what got me into collecting arcade pcbs in the first place. I own 8 now and boy it's addictive - I'm actually considering trying to locate a mushihimesama futari black label board which averages $1200. Regardless, last year I met a buncha people from around the US and Canada which share my super niche hobby, and it was cool actually being around a group of people who all loved shmups. I just started getting some of my friends into the genre, but it wasn't until recently that I could take joy in discussing the genre people face-to-face.

there's another one this year which I'm super pumped for partly because I get to bring my pcbs and candy cab.

robot

I collect arcade pcbs, but my cab is rotated horizontally so I miss out on vertical shmups...fortunately my brothers cab is vertical.

Anywho, collecting pcbs has given me a newfound appreciation for Data East. There are a handful of games I never heard of until the past few years, and they're pretty incredible. Boogie Wings, Edward Randy, Chelnov, Psyco-Nics Oscar, Diet Go Go, and Heavy Smash. Not to mention their more well know games like Windjammers, Captain America, and Robocop. They made some really impressive (and ballsy) games in their prime.

I started out collecting Neo Geo carts, moved on to Capcom CPS2, and now these random games I never played because a a lot of arcades I've been too only stocked the more mainstream stuff. Funny how Elevator Action Returns became one of my favorite games of all time, and I just discovered it despite coming out almost 20 years ago.

Arcade games are awesome.

Neff

Yeah...we went back about a year ago and there was really nothing, it was quite sad. Although we did find a Pac Man VS game which was quite good fun. It's completely cut price Las Vegas now.

They still had a fair tourist trade in the '70s and early '80s, although still a far cry from the '50s which I think was the last time they were really booming. But yeah, you're right, there's just nothing there now but a lot of depressing relics and old signs. Shame they never got the go-ahead for the 'supercasino', could have really turned things around for them.

SOME-MIST

Arcade games are awesome.
^^

and dunno how I've never seen this before, but we're avatar bros!
(though I just changed mine a couple weeks ago)

Progear is honestly my favorite shmup of all time shortly followed by Battle Garegga. just got my first 1-ALL about a month ago too! didn't meet the loop requirements tho.

Water

^^

and dunno how I've never seen this before, but we're avatar bros!
(though I just changed mine a couple weeks ago)

Progear is honestly my favorite shmup of all time shortly followed by Battle Garegga. just got my first 1-ALL about a month ago too! didn't meet the loop requirements tho.
I have played only a bit of Progear, as in to end of 3rd level or thereabouts. It's beautiful and sounds great, but I'm not a fan of the scoring. Fiddly and unintuitive to begin with, and there are some weird techniques that are required for good scores but seem almost like putting in a cheat code because they just don't seem like a logical part of the game. I tried a couple of times to do the 1st level technique shown here but had no success; I recall you are supposed to tap or not tap or hold the fire buttons in a very particular way and at a very specific moment to get that stuff to happen, but I just couldn't despite having read instructions.

Biker19

Banned
I imagine of what would it be like if such series like Castlevania & Rockman X/Mega Man X were to be in Arcades back then before coming to consoles, & what would they play like?

Example: Once you've wasted all of your lives, you have to insert more quarters to play again.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'd give up almost anything to relive the excitement of entering arcades in the 80s and seeing new games almost every month again.

Will make a lengthy post sharing my experiences when I get home. (on my mob at work atm).

Liberty4all

Banned
One of the things I miss about arcades were the motion machines. Full sit down cockpit machines that actually moved. I was lucky enough to play this one (After Burner II) at Union Station in Indianapolis.

1181241628112.jpg

I agree. The sit down cabs were awesome like Spy Hunter, Stun Runner and Star Wars ... Bigger screens usually than standup cabs.

The motion units though took things to another level ... Space Harrier, Afterburner II, etc. To this day nothing has come as close to immersing me in a game like Afterburner II did.

I'm 37 now and really starting to realize just how lucky I was to grow up in arcades heyday. There was something magical about a good arcade, not to mention the joy of finding one you didn't know about.

It saddens me that there are lots of younger folks that will never get to experience the joy of an arcade.

SOME-MIST

I have played only a bit of Progear, as in to end of 3rd level or thereabouts. It's beautiful and sounds great, but I'm not a fan of the scoring. Fiddly and unintuitive to begin with, and there are some weird techniques that are required for good scores but seem almost like putting in a cheat code because they just don't seem like a logical part of the game. I tried a couple of times to do the 1st level technique shown here but had no success; I recall you are supposed to tap or not tap or hold the fire buttons in a very particular way and at a very specific moment to get that stuff to happen, but I just couldn't despite having read instructions.

I watched for a second - because I typically black out all gameplay runs on intentionally so I can develop my own runs. so.... I basically learned scoring on my own and cannot do what the player in that video is doing.

the main reason it is my favorite game is because of the scoring system. :p I actually had a blast learning it and now have a blast scoring. This is what I've figured out
It has a gem leveling-based scoring system. The controls are based on a two button layout (shot and bomb). By tapping shot you get a rapid fire, by holding shot you get a lock on shot. Your goal is to use rapid fire by tapping to kill enemies when other enemy's bullets are on top of or within the proximity of the enemy you're killing. Once you kill the enemy, all the bullets on top and in a radius around the enemy ship turn into gems (which is how I think that player triggered his stream when he cashed out). Every time you pick up a gem, the next color is in the line (unless you cash out). It goes by color and size..

grey > medium grey > large grey > red > medium red > big red > green > medium green > big green > platinum.

once you build your gem counter up to platinum, you will hold down locked shot, and the bullets on top of and around the next enemy you kill will turn into the highest scoring item which will shoot up your score and start you off from the grey gem again.

you can milk larger enemies to build up your gem counter to platinum, cash in, build up to platinum, cash in, platinum, cash in and then kill the enemy. In turn.. all bullets you turn into gems or scoring items cancel out clearing parts of the screen.
no world record score here, but here's what I got on my 1-ALL
b2a873ab-f831-4773-92b7-a3a1af3c0b77_zpsd144c53f.jpg

what I've found is that you just have to make sense of the scoring system to actually like it in a shmup... as more often than not the scoring system is completely arbitrary to what's happening in terms of survival.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm likely of a similar age, although I lived in a big town and the arcades we played in tended to come every few months by way of the shows/carnival and sometimes in the Arcade in the centre of the city. Never did manage to get a cab, but I've always wanted to spend some time trying to build one. Maybe later in the year I'll try to build one around a Raspberry Pi.

Geniuzz

I have so many good memories of arcade games I played. SFII, Yie ar Kung Fu, Karate Champ, Football Champ, Pac-Man were all games that devoured my pocket money back in the day. The games that took most were Space Harrier and Ms Pac-Man.
Honorable mentions go to Sega's Time Traveler and (I believe) Midway's Astron Belt. Those weren't great games, but looked mighty impressive back in the day.

Top Bottom