• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Paradise - Announcement Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Welcome to Arcade Paradise, the 90’s retro arcade adventure game. With the keys to the family laundromat, Ashley decides to transform the business and give the sleepy town of Grindstone something to get excited about! Stay one step ahead of your father, manage and invest profits, and build your very own Arcade Paradise!

Coming 2021.

wondermega

Pretty interesting! It sounds like the devs lost their minds and made 50 ARCADE MINIGAMES FOR THIS THING, did I hear that correctly? That's a maximum effort if so, and considering their quality based on what was shown in this preview, that's really gonna be something to see. Much more than lazily 'loading up an emulator with some roms" as most people would expect I suppose. Anyway the laundry angle, coupled with zero lack of any peds/traffic/etc gives it kind of a dour and lonely mood. I can appreciate that all that stuff adds significantly more development time, I hope it's not gonna be a big blocker for them.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Arcade Paradise is releasing Spring 2022.

Building the ultimate arcade is not without hard work. To get there, it starts with the first day of work at King Wash laundromat. Playing as Ashley, the opportunity arises to transition King Wash from a laundry business to an arcade metropolis, going against your father's wishes. To stay on his good side as you initiate your plan, you have to go through the motions of washing clothes.

This is the start of the rags to riches retro arcade adventure.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This looks cool, but I fear only for an hour or 2. It will be interesting to see if there's more under the surface to put in more time than that.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

I'm the game director on this. It's been a lot of hard work. Will be announcing release date very soon. Happy to answer questions though. (Might dodge some if they're very tricky)
This is such an interesting idea for a game (managing an arcade back in the heyday of arcades). I have been following this thread and the preview videos that IbizaPocholo has posted, and it definitely still has my attention. It looks like a combination of a management sim, mini-arcade games and story/adventure with having to deal with the dad and the laundromat.

Is the management sim more of a background setting to advance the story or is this meant to be more of a hardcore simulation in which you can actually run the arcade into the ground if you manage it poorly?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Welcome to Arcade Paradise, the 90’s retro arcade game and light-management sim combo! From cleaning toilets and picking up gum, to doing the laundry; the road to Arcade Paradise isn’t easy, but the reward will be worth the grind with over 35 fully playable arcade games to unlock.

Relive 90’s gaming nostalgia on your journey from rags to arcade riches!

dadrester

Neo Member
This is such an interesting idea for a game (managing an arcade back in the heyday of arcades). I have been following this thread and the preview videos that IbizaPocholo has posted, and it definitely still has my attention. It looks like a combination of a management sim, mini-arcade games and story/adventure with having to deal with the dad and the laundromat.

Is the management sim more of a background setting to advance the story or is this meant to be more of a hardcore simulation in which you can actually run the arcade into the ground if you manage it poorly?
So story takes a back seat (definitely compared to something like 198X). It's driven very much by your progress through the game and punctuates certain milestones. In terms of the sim side of things it's not as hardcore as say something like PC building sim or that sort of thing but it definitely has a role. You can move machines about using a map/blueprint and if you put popular ones next to less popular ones that will increase the less popular one's income for example. you can tweak price and difficulty and to begin with you'll have to empty hoppers etc (but you can employ someone to automate that later on). Playing the games also feeds into the economy, so each game has a bunch of "goals" (achievements) which will increase its popularity and earning capability. We don't refer to them as minigames since some of the games are pretty big in themselves. With a fair few having their own upgrades, internal saving and their own daft stories etc. Although everything looks and feels like arcade games, in reality we've got a much wider palette of game types in there. Anyway, here's a screenshot of one of the 4 player brawler...

FWQ21gnXgAERNF0.jpg

Bluecondor

So story takes a back seat (definitely compared to something like 198X). It's driven very much by your progress through the game and punctuates certain milestones. In terms of the sim side of things it's not as hardcore as say something like PC building sim or that sort of thing but it definitely has a role. You can move machines about using a map/blueprint and if you put popular ones next to less popular ones that will increase the less popular one's income for example. you can tweak price and difficulty and to begin with you'll have to empty hoppers etc (but you can employ someone to automate that later on). Playing the games also feeds into the economy, so each game has a bunch of "goals" (achievements) which will increase its popularity and earning capability. We don't refer to them as minigames since some of the games are pretty big in themselves. With a fair few having their own upgrades, internal saving and their own daft stories etc. Although everything looks and feels like arcade games, in reality we've got a much wider palette of game types in there. Anyway, here's a screenshot of one of the 4 player brawler...
Wow - this sounds awesome. So now I'm understanding more about the game. Basically, you have created several 1980s/retro style arcade games like the brawler game in the picture. We will basically be able to develop and manage the arcade by playing through each game. Each time we hit a milestones in one of the arcade games, this will make that game machine more popular in the arcade game. But, if I suck at a particular game (like a racing game, for example), but hit all of the milestones in the brawler game, I will actually be able to capitalize on the popularity of the brawler game by putting it next to the racing game to increase the racing game's popularity and earnings.

That sounds fun. I like that you give us an incentive to play the arcade games to make the arcade profitable, but don't force me to master every single arcade game.

dadrester

Neo Member
Wow - this sounds awesome. So now I'm understanding more about the game. Basically, you have created several 1980s/retro style arcade games like the brawler game in the picture. We will basically be able to develop and manage the arcade by playing through each game. Each time we hit a milestones in one of the arcade games, this will make that game machine more popular in the arcade game. But, if I suck at a particular game (like a racing game, for example), but hit all of the milestones in the brawler game, I will actually be able to capitalize on the popularity of the brawler game by putting it next to the racing game to increase the racing game's popularity and earnings.

That sounds fun. I like that you give us an incentive to play the arcade games to make the arcade profitable, but don't force me to master every single arcade game.

'Zactly. We don't want to force players to play in one way or another. You could (if you were so inclined almost completely ignore the management side of thing and just play, or conversely you could igone the games if you wanted - but realistically in the early part of the game it'll be a mix with a bit more focus on the mundane tasks (which we've tried to make feel more like the woodchopping game in shenmue 3 - i.e. fun than dull).

Story beats are tied, basically to how many machines and arcade extensions you've got. I think of them as things that drive player agency and bookend what are essentially chapters or levels in the old school way of thinking. None of it is in your face though and there's only one place in the narrative where it takes control away from the player.

Bluecondor

'Zactly. We don't want to force players to play in one way or another. You could (if you were so inclined almost completely ignore the management side of thing and just play, or conversely you could igone the games if you wanted - but realistically in the early part of the game it'll be a mix with a bit more focus on the mundane tasks (which we've tried to make feel more like the woodchopping game in shenmue 3 - i.e. fun than dull).

Story beats are tied, basically to how many machines and arcade extensions you've got. I think of them as things that drive player agency and bookend what are essentially chapters or levels in the old school way of thinking. None of it is in your face though and there's only one place in the narrative where it takes control away from the player.
Hey! Thanks so much for your replies. This is a day one purchase for me.

Fuz

Banned
God. What a fucking soundtrack! I grew up with C64. Never played this but the space invaders Ghostbusters tape loader was a big influence on my career. Haha. To.e to get the emu out. This looks ace.
Yeah the soundtrack is a banger. It even changes slightly from stage to stage.
It's also been plagiarized:

Last edited:
I'm the game director on this. It's been a lot of hard work. Will be announcing release date very soon. Happy to answer questions though. (Might dodge some if they're very tricky)
Will we have a route where we keep the laundromat? I fear that's the only way to avoid a downer ending.

Do you do private interviews with game media website? We might be interested. DM for more info.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Kinda reminded me of Microsoft’s short lived arcade room attempt, when they were selling classic arcade games.

Sucks that it didn’t pan out.

No online but we do have a bunch of machines that are couch multiplayer.
That's unfortunate to hear, but if the game is successful, perhaps it could give you a big new feature for a potential sequel.

What about online friend leaderboards for each game? High scores were always a big part of arcade culture, and I hope they won't be local scores only.

Either way, thanks for agreeing to answer some questions. The game looks like a neat idea, and I especially like how you can fully engage with the arcade management aspect, or just ignore it entirely. That decision should help you reach a lot more people.

Last edited:

dadrester

Neo Member
That's unfortunate to hear, but if the game is successful, perhaps it could give you a big new feature for a potential sequel.

What about online friend leaderboards for each game? High scores were always a big part of arcade culture, and I hope they won't be local scores only.

Either way, thanks for agreeing to answer some questions. The game looks like a neat idea, and I especially like how you can fully engage with the arcade management aspect, or just ignore it entirely. That decision should help you reach a lot more people.
We have online leaderboards for the games. I'm looking forward to seeing some crazy scores. Some of the simpler games also have a sort of rivals system where when you beat a score threshold you'll get someone email you who beats your score by a small amount and then that starts a little sidequest/back and forth with them revealing a bit of a side story.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Manage your own very successful laundromat business by turning it into an arcade! Arcade Paradise is a business sim that lets you create and run your own arcade under the nose of your overbearing father, who thinks you're running his laundromat.

Impotaku

We're out now!!!
Having a fantastic time in this now at the second arcade expansion and getting those more expensive cabinets, still working my way towards those upgrade purchases to slow down time so i can spend a bit longer playing in the arcade. Love the whole aesthetic totally nailed the 90's feel in both the soundtrack and also the little touches like the palm pilot thats used as the game menu even that has a damn game on it lol games within games.

Just wish king wash would call the vending machine repair guys out and get some lights put in that thing as it looks so dark. hell even better make it useable in some way. Love the extra layer of arcade management with the way the less popular machines can be boosted by putting them next to the more popular ones i havent gone too deep in the arcade machines extra settings but i do like how you can tweak the difficulty and credit cost to make more money. Theres more to the management side than i originally thought.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
They should make something like this but with a virtual machine and "open" libraries like Pico8 so users can create their own games, so the base game become a sort of Gary's Mod/GTA.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nobody going to talk about how the icon for the dev studio is a razor blade and they're called 'Wired'?

Game looks fun BTW.

Rayderism

I think my oldschool work ethic is screwing me from enjoying this game properly, or I'm just playing it wrong, or I just haven't played far enough into it or something. I have the arcade side built up to where I just acquired the pool table, but the laundromat side consumes most of my time. I don't have time to play much of the arcade games because there's always the laundry stuff to deal with. It's kinda making the game not fun for me.

I mean, you have those daily to-do list items, but how do you make the time to actually do them? Most (game)days I rarely get more than 1 of the to-do's done, sometimes none, and very rarely 2, but NEVER all three. It seems I spend most of the time in the game fussing with the laundry, cleaning trash and collecting the coin hoppers, and as soon as I start playing one of the arcade games, I have to stop and deal with the laundry some more. Before you know it, the day is over and if I actually tried to play the arcade games, then there is laundry left over at the end of the day, which means a lot less money made from that.

I'm at a point in the game where the arcade side makes more than double what the laundromat does (and I almost ALWAYS "S" rank the laundry stuff), so should I start ignoring the laundry stuff in favor of playing in the arcade? Like I said, this game is messing with my real-life work ethic and I'm not sure how to proceed in the game. Maybe I'm missing something that should be obvious?

Kinda funny I guess, but I keep remembering something Red Foreman said on The 70's Show, "You're not supposed to like your job. That's why they call it work and not super-happy-wonderful-funtime, or skippity-doo." But....but....this is a video game, it's not supposed to feel like work. What am I doing wrong here?

Anyone have some tips on how I should proceed in this game?

nocsi

I think my oldschool work ethic is screwing me from enjoying this game properly, or I'm just playing it wrong, or I just haven't played far enough into it or something. I have the arcade side built up to where I just acquired the pool table, but the laundromat side consumes most of my time. I don't have time to play much of the arcade games because there's always the laundry stuff to deal with. It's kinda making the game not fun for me.

I mean, you have those daily to-do list items, but how do you make the time to actually do them? Most (game)days I rarely get more than 1 of the to-do's done, sometimes none, and very rarely 2, but NEVER all three. It seems I spend most of the time in the game fussing with the laundry, cleaning trash and collecting the coin hoppers, and as soon as I start playing one of the arcade games, I have to stop and deal with the laundry some more. Before you know it, the day is over and if I actually tried to play the arcade games, then there is laundry left over at the end of the day, which means a lot less money made from that.

I'm at a point in the game where the arcade side makes more than double what the laundromat does (and I almost ALWAYS "S" rank the laundry stuff), so should I start ignoring the laundry stuff in favor of playing in the arcade? Like I said, this game is messing with my real-life work ethic and I'm not sure how to proceed in the game. Maybe I'm missing something that should be obvious?

Kinda funny I guess, but I keep remembering something Red Foreman said on The 70's Show, "You're not supposed to like your job. That's why they call it work and not super-happy-wonderful-funtime, or skippity-doo." But....but....this is a video game, it's not supposed to feel like work. What am I doing wrong here?

I think the game kinda promotes you to ignore the laundry side. Just do it

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Brings back memories of Arcadecraft 10 years ago. Not the greatest game, but was fun messing with building your own arcade. But it had some quirks and not explained well when things happened. I remember machines would break down and had no idea how to fix it. Turns out sometimes a machine would have quarters jammed and you had to shake the machine to loosen the quarters. They never explained that. And it had no shit like running laundromat.

Impotaku

Remember the part where your dad says he will pay you pounds sterling for doing challenges, start to concentrate on getting some of this money then look at the upgrades webpage on your pc there are items you can buy that help with the rules of the game one of them slows down time so you get more room to play before the end of the day, another item is the car which means you can stay later as you don't need to catch the last bus home. The items tell you what they do in the description they are expensive but really useful so it's worth chipping away at the challenges to get the cash, try to prioritise the challenges on the daily to-do list like the ones that don't involve playing a game.

Last edited:

dadrester

Neo Member

As the game director who came up with the whole thing I'm telling you to officially "fuck-off" the laundry. The quickest way of making money is completing goals (not to-dos) and just playing the games (playtime bonus). For players like you (and me if I'm honest) we added a Konami code cheat so you'll always S-Rank washing. Put it in on the title screen and you'll see a gold washing machine on the main menu. Maybe the alt title of the game should be "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Games"

dadrester

Neo Member
Remember the part where your dad says he will pay you pounds sterling for doing challenges, start to concentrate on getting some of this money then look at the upgrades webpage on your pc there are items you can buy that help with the rules of the game one of them slows down time so you get more room to play before the end of the day, another item is the car which means you can stay later as you don't need to catch the last bus home. The items tell you what they do in the description they are expensive but really useful so it's worth chipping away at the challenges to get the cash, try to prioritise the challenges on the daily to-do list like the ones that don't involve playing a game.

Nobody going to talk about how the icon for the dev studio is a razor blade and they're called 'Wired'?

Game looks fun BTW.
the publisher, not the dev. Dev is Nosebleed Interactive

Impotaku

As the game director who came up with the whole thing I'm telling you to officially "fuck-off" the laundry. The quickest way of making money is completing goals (not to-dos) and just playing the games (playtime bonus). For players like you (and me if I'm honest) we added a Konami code cheat so you'll always S-Rank washing. Put it in on the title screen and you'll see a gold washing machine on the main menu. Maybe the alt title of the game should be "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Games"
LOL just tried the code and went into the laundy MY EEEEYES so many gleaming washing machines. I'll take your advice and concentrate on the arcade side. Just on the final stretch here gotten the sliding door upgrade and now trying to get the last handful or arcades to fill it up still have that investment to try pay for too. So much fun in there.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Been playing most of the day it has a very addictive just one more day feeling. Finally at the point in the story where i can upgrade & say goodbye to the laundry side forever just when i think it's gonna stop expanding it keeps allowing you to build it out more & more. Another pile of games to purchase and thses ones are now super expensive i love the arcades even more 90's look now.

Impotaku

Aaand it's completed well the story anyway, was actually a really nice story running through the game a rather touching dedication before the credits roll. I also love that some of your arcade customers email you giving you score challenges to beat so it's a back & forth but as you beat them you get to know a little about them too it makes the arcade feel alive. One thing i havent figured out is if there's any more arcade machines to unlock as i have bought everything so far and yet the games title screen still has a couple of machines in lineup in the background like penguin pushers and a gun game that haven't appeared on the arcade website to buy no idea if ther are actual machines or they were dropped during development, theres a few bare spots in the arcade that would look nice with a few more machines tried to make it feel full as possible.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I saw a DDR style minigame in the trailer, how many rhythm games does this have in it? That's the kind of stupid detail which will influence my purchasing decision.

dadrester

Neo Member
Aaand it's completed well the story anyway, was actually a really nice story running through the game a rather touching dedication before the credits roll. I also love that some of your arcade customers email you giving you score challenges to beat so it's a back & forth but as you beat them you get to know a little about them too it makes the arcade feel alive. One thing i havent figured out is if there's any more arcade machines to unlock as i have bought everything so far and yet the games title screen still has a couple of machines in lineup in the background like penguin pushers and a gun game that haven't appeared on the arcade website to buy no idea if ther are actual machines or they were dropped during development, theres a few bare spots in the arcade that would look nice with a few more machines tried to make it feel full as possible.
Thanks so much. Yeah the game was delayed for a while as I took some time off during development, for reasons that are obvious when you see the credits. The back and forths were weirdly fun to write, especially the over enthusiastic kid.

Kilau

So did this start out as laundromat simulator and then morph into arcade? Just started and it feels that way.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Coin-Op Pack #1 adds three new games to Arcade Paradise: mountain climbing title Empathy, two-player shooting range Smoke ‘em, and Cyberdance EuroMix, the rave focused follow-up to Arcade Paradise’s Cyber Dance.

All three arcade cabinets can be purchased as a bundle for $3.99 / €3.99 / £3.49, or individually for $1.99 / €1.99 / £1.79, with more new games set to be added as DLC over the coming months.

Priced at £35, the Arcade Paradise double vinyl soundtrack is billed as “a true love letter to the skaters, ravers, and sticky arcade carpets of a time where arcades ruled the world”.

With only 1,000 pressings released, it features tracks by ex-Prodigy live drummer and Arcade Paradise music creator Kieron Pepper, plus original 8-bit illustrated album artwork by David Sossella.

The Wired Store sale started today and is offering a 10% discount across all products including Arcade Paradise and its official soundtrack.

I really enjoyed this, I found it relaxing and a good time passer. A couple of the games are shite but most of it was fun and I love the obvious passion for the arcade places way back in the 90s/80s,

Definitely keeping an eye on what the devs do next.

Top Bottom