• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to put USB-C connectors in iPhones to comply with EU rules

daveonezero

Banned
You can't spec it smaller and pogo pins mean proprietary a charger is required....

Governments have sovereignty and an army, they can do whatever they want, given the people who grant those powers accept it.
I'm sorry that representative democracy feels like mob rule to you (which it is, sometimes).
I'll remind you that anarcho-capitalism hasn't been proven as an effective form of society either.
too much to unpack. I’m not any of those things.

I do like the contradiction that mob rule sucks though but the conclusion is “deal with the gang rape”.

I’m more of a pirate…. Black flags and benevolent dictators of small vessels myself.

I love phones that allow HDMI output. With a hub, it basically becomes your new PC. 😁

However, it depends on the phone or the hub. Sometimes services like Netflix won't work.

Apple used to make it you had to sync everything with iTunes, unlike other phones where you can just drag items over to the device. 🍎

That's why I gave up with them. Of course, that was the really old models from around 2011. Maybe it's not like that now.

Tams

Apple used to make it you had to sync everything with iTunes, unlike other phones where you can just drag items over to the device. 🍎

That's why I gave up with them. Of course, that was the really old models from around 2011. Maybe it's not like that now.

Don't worry. Now you can't send files easily between Apple and non-Apple devices wirelessly. Gotta keep you in that walled garden.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Apple fan huh?
I've had Android devices from the beginning until the past few years. I made the switch to Apple and I don't regret it. I also don't have a grudge against anyone with an Android. I think the whole phone wars thing is as stupid as the console wars. I'm just grateful people can choose whatever works best for them.

If you need an active list of my complaints with Apple & their products, I'm happy to share.

Last edited:

YCoCg

If you need an active list of my complaints with Apple & their products, I'm happy to share.
I mean sure, but your initial comment still comes off a seething, USB-C is more than capable of replacing Apple proprietary cable and there's no need for it to exist anymore, this isn't the 2000's where every damn phone had it's own charger type, Apple had plenty of time to appeal WHY theirs was better and required for the phones and their reasonings were not good enough.

Thinking ahead it wouldn't surprise me if the EU tried to tackle Display Port vs HDMI too but seeing as one is open source and the other isn't might not make it such a clear cut case. Not to mention Display Port is rarely used outside of computers space.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I mean sure, but your initial comment still comes off a seething, USB-C is more than capable of replacing Apple proprietary cable and there's no need for it to exist anymore, this isn't the 2000's where every damn phone had it's own charger type, Apple had plenty of time to appeal WHY theirs was better and required for the phones and their reasonings were not good enough.

Thinking ahead it wouldn't surprise me if the EU tried to tackle Display Port vs HDMI too but seeing as one is open source and the other isn't might not make it such a clear cut case. Not to mention Display Port is rarely used outside of computers space.
My issue lies solely with USB-C. The actual cables themselves do not tell you what spec they are so it's a gamble unless I store the exact cable that came with the device forever. So what does it matter if the connector is one thing or another? There's a few videos I posted here previously that lay out the case against USB-C if you genuinely want to understand more on why people do not like USB-C.

I could care less if the end of the cable is lightning or whatever. It's just USB-C as a whole is a lot more complex than most people realize. Don't get me wrong, I will take USB-C over micro USB any day. I'd just rather get a system in place that is much more clear for the end user.

My issue lies solely with USB-C. The actual cables themselves do not tell you what spec they are so it's a gamble unless I store the exact cable that came with the device forever. So what does it matter if the connector is one thing or another? There's a few videos I posted here previously that lay out the case against USB-C if you genuinely want to understand more on why people do not like USB-C.

I could care less if the end of the cable is lightning or whatever. It's just USB-C as a whole is a lot more complex than most people realize. Don't get me wrong, I will take USB-C over micro USB any day. I'd just rather get a system in place that is much more clear for the end user.
I mean, a complex usb-c is the result of 'freedom of choice' is it not?
If you got a macbook that requires 100 watt charging plus a high bandwidth cable, then it came with your macbook. Yes its confusing that the $1 usb c cable on amazon isnt as capable, but if the spec was enforced for all cables then that limits alot of peoples choices.

USB does have a messaging problem though I agree.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I mean, a complex usb-c is the result of 'freedom of choice' is it not?
If you got a macbook that requires 100 watt charging plus a high bandwidth cable, then it came with your macbook. Yes its confusing that the $1 usb c cable on amazon isnt as capable, but if the spec was enforced for all cables then that limits alot of peoples choices.

USB does have a messaging problem though I agree.
USB-C only defines the connection type, not the cable spec.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Umm what, USB obviously defines the connection and cable specs.
Sorry—what mean is there are various cable specs that can be attached to the usb-c connector. I’ve got about 10-15 usb-c cables and I don’t have a clue which ones are which spec, with no easy way to discern. As such, it’s confusing from my perspective to know which one to use with with device.

To me, as the end user, usb-c just means the connection type.

Sorry—what mean is there are various cable specs that can be attached to the usb-c connector. I’ve got about 10-15 usb-c cables and I don’t have a clue which ones are which spec, with no easy way to discern. As such, it’s confusing from my perspective to know which one to use with with device.
Its confusing yes, but Apple also uses usb c for their lineup. So theres no argument for simplicity here. Theyre already part of the cluserfuck of usb c specs on top of needing lightning adapters and cables.
So lightning isnt simpler, and it isnt technologically superior either.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Its confusing yes, but Apple also uses usb c for their lineup. So theres no argument for simplicity here. Theyre already part of the cluserfuck of usb c specs on top of needing lightning adapters and cables.
So lightning isnt simpler, and it isnt technologically superior either.
Yes, my issue isn’t Apple v Android, it’s the USB-C spec itself.

Blade2.0

The freedom of choice. To spend your money where you want. If you don't see the connection, I'm afraid I can't help make it clearer.
The connection isn't freedom of choice, though. That's the corporation dictating what port you're allowed to use on their devices. And again, apple knows USB-C is the best standard anyways. They use it on almost every single other device they make.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

It's not, and actually since 2013 or so you can put your iOS device as a mass storage. Not as simple as an Android, but not hard at all

@thread
I understand that Apple invented Lightning back in the day because was way better, but we have USB C even on fucking Mackbooks, man. Don't be an ass and change everything.

I don't even see the point of having HDMI anymore, since USB C does everything and can go as fast as 40gb

Last edited:

Banned
The connection isn't freedom of choice, though. That's the corporation dictating what port you're allowed to use on their devices. And again, apple knows USB-C is the best standard anyways. They use it on almost every single other device they make.

and the reason they don't do it on their phones is purely because they sell licenses/certifications for lightning port accessories

Klosshufvud

I was thinking of getting some Airpods but with the Lightning adapter on its way out, I think I'll just wait for next year's model with USB-C charging slot. Kinda shame Apple had to be so stubborn with the connection cables because their small form ear pods are really good otherwise.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I doubt Apple will have that Samsung OLED yet. They never seem to get their best stuff and Samsung limits it for their own phones. Maybe in a year or two. Even now most of Apple’s phones are still 60hz amazingly.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
i know this is a bit of a joke youtube channel:

However, I think iPhone 15 will be *the* phone to buy. I am still on iPhone 6S:

-USB Type C finally
-3nm better battery life, up to 39% improvement
-Optimized Camera
-2000 nit OLED display from Samsung

Honestly the 13 pro and 14 pro's from apple have been so close to perfect, calling the 15 "the" phone just seems weird to me. USB-C wont matter to alot of us, no one in my family uses a cable for charging anymore, or really anything, even carplay is completely wireless in all of our vehicals. Battery life is improving every phone, and while 39% incrase sounds nice, until we start talking about 48 hour+ batteries, it ddoes feel that big of a leap. The screens have been absolutely stelar too for awhile.

Thaedolus

what year is it GIF

Klosshufvud

i know this is a bit of a joke youtube channel:

-USB Type C finally
-3nm better battery life, up to 39% improvement
-Optimized Camera
-2000 nit OLED display from Samsung

3nm would be absolutely insane. Apple is so far ahead.

Sorry, but I'm quite happy with my Fold.
Did your fold upgrade to Android 13, One UI 5.1? How is the pen experience? I am getting bored of iOS, and i love the pen for drawing and taking notes. I just need Android to have that silky smooth, polished experience of iOS and have the latest OS and app updates without waiting forever for the One UI update. Im looking forward to the 200MP camera sensor also with 8K 30fps recording

winjer

Gold Member
Apple usually has first dibs on their best chips. Nvidia's latest GPUs are on 5nm. Doubt they'll transition to 3nm by this year already.

No one is using N3 yet.
NVidia will probably use it first for it's professional and server chips. The same for AMD.
Apple's A17 will o0nly release by year's end. So still a long time to go.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I really hope apple goes with USB c just to hear their bs marketing on how they made usb c better than ever

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Did your fold upgrade to Android 13, One UI 5.1? How is the pen experience? I am getting bored of iOS, and i love the pen for drawing and taking notes. I just need Android to have that silky smooth, polished experience of iOS and have the latest OS and app updates without waiting forever for the One UI update. Im looking forward to the 200MP camera sensor also with 8K 30fps recording
I don't have anything fancy, A52 5G, but after Android 13 those trademark Samsung stutters vanished, it is noticeably faster than Android 12. I also really like the UI, but I am still on One UI 5.0.

Tams

I have a first gen one, so no Android 13 for me, and no pen. I don't mind though, as Android 13 and OneUI 5.1 doesn't really have anything I want; there's only really the taskbar for foldables, but you can get one using Samsung's own Good Lock app - the only catch is it only shows recent apps, but there's still the edge panel for more of a dock. No issues with Android 12 or OneUI.

I'm going to get it replaced by my insurance as the battery is starting to go and I don't know what they'll offer me.

Last edited:
Rumors suggest that One UI 5.1 polishes and cleans the user experience even more: with much better polished transition animations, and an overall silky-smooth buttery feel.

I want that overall silky-smooth buttery feel of the OS with 120hz. So I am going to decide between Iphone 15 and the next iteration of Google Pixel and Samsung smartphones. 2023 will be an exciting year for sure!

Tams

Rumors suggest that One UI 5.1 polishes and cleans the user experience even more: with much better polished transition animations, and an overall silky-smooth buttery feel.

I want that overall silky-smooth buttery feel of the OS with 120hz. So I am going to decide between Iphone 15 and the next iteration of Google Pixel and Samsung smartphones. 2023 will be an exciting year for sure!

I must have really shit eyesight as I don't even notice the transitions. Haven't since, hmmm, perhaps the Nokia N900 or that time I has to use a Note 3 as a loaner.

Top Bottom