• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple |OT| TV/Arcade/iPad/mac/iPhone

Celcius

°Temp. member
Which ipad do you recommend for someone that has never owned one before? Just for surfing the web, Youtube, and Twitch. Just grab the latest model?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
"Update on supply of iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max"
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/11/update-on-supply-of-iphone-14-pro-and-iphone-14-pro-max/

"COVID-19 restrictions have temporarily impacted the primary iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max assembly facility located in Zhengzhou, China. The facility is currently operating at significantly reduced capacity. As we have done throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we are prioritizing the health and safety of the workers in our supply chain.
We continue to see strong demand for iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max models. However, we now expect lower iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max shipments than we previously anticipated and customers will experience longer wait times to receive their new products.
We are working closely with our supplier to return to normal production levels while ensuring the health and safety of every worker."

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Folks need some help.

Whenever I click on an embedded YouTube video on the forum with my iPad it won’t play anymore.

If I click on the view this on YouTube it’ll open the app.

I don’t know if this is a forum issue or an iPad issue? Anyone else having issues at all?

iPad Pro. 3rd Gen.

Thanks.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Folks need some help.

Whenever I click on an embedded YouTube video on the forum with my iPad it won’t play anymore.

If I click on the view this on YouTube it’ll open the app.

I don’t know if this is a forum issue or an iPad issue? Anyone else having issues at all?

iPad Pro. 3rd Gen.

Thanks.
What browser?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Thanks for replying. Sommat weirds happened basically came back to iPad after dinner and the things m turned itself off - had to reboot and fuck knows how but all is well in the world again.

The old turn it off and back on trick yet it’s done it itself.

Skynet man. It’s coming.

CobraAB

Which ipad do you recommend for someone that has never owned one before? Just for surfing the web, Youtube, and Twitch. Just grab the latest model?
Well, the newest Air is $599 with a pretty lame 64 GB storage. A 256 GB model is $749.

The new Pro model is $799 with 128 GB. I think I would go Pro at that point.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does it seem like my battery is draining too fast? iPhone 12 Pro with 89% health, had it since launch day:

vwwmwSy.jpg

Lately it seems like my phone gets hotter than normal and the battery drains faster than normal too. I'm guessing it's a bug with the latest version of ios? If I close all background apps and then charge my phone to 100%, then unplug it and go to bed, it will be down to like 80% when I wake up in the morning.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Does it seem like my battery is draining too fast? iPhone 12 Pro with 89% health, had it since launch day:

vwwmwSy.jpg

Lately it seems like my phone gets hotter than normal and the battery drains faster than normal too. I'm guessing it's a bug with the latest version of ios? If I close all background apps and then charge my phone to 100%, then unplug it and go to bed, it will be down to like 80% when I wake up in the morning.
To go from full at noon and be that low by 3pm is very weird unless you're playing games. I have a 12 since launch, my max battery is at 90% so not far from you. I barely touch my phone over the weekend so it's a bit skewed but here's my battery curve with minimal usage:
oAjCU70.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thinking of getting the watch 8. Maybe midnight black but it's difficult to choose the size and type....
I have a huge 220mm (8.66142 eagle inches), soo.... most bands end up either at 210 or 220mm so it would barely fit.
I found that fabric sport loop midnight has and XL size up to 245mm, so that would fit.
And the normal clip sport band in mdnight also goes up to 245mm. Sadly only these two bands are offered in XL size.

What about loop and braided loop? Size 12 is still too small but I see that they stretch a lot ? Maybe that's ok?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thinking of getting the watch 8. Maybe midnight black but it's difficult to choose the size and type....
I have a huge 220mm (8.66142 eagle inches), soo.... most bads end up either at 210 or 220mm so it would barely fit.
I found that fabric sport loop midnight has and XL size up to 245mm, so that would fit.
And the normal clip sport band in mdnight also goes up to 245mm. Sadly only these two bands are offered in XL size.

What about loop and braided loop? Size 12 is still too small but I see that they stretch a lot ? Maybe that's ok?
I want the solo loop but won’t get one until I can actually make it to an Apple Store to try for myself. I’ve read that they do stretch so it might be best to get one that is slightly tight.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I want the solo loop but won’t get one until I can actually make it to an Apple Store to try for myself. I’ve read that they do stretch so it might be best to get one that is slightly tight.
yeah I should probably go too.
I just noticed that Braided is twice the price of solo loop here.. oh jeez.... Not suer about that. But solo loop looks like a sweaty one.
I should probably just go for the 245mm fabric sport loop if I decide on anything

GeekyDad

Thought I had my phone set to manual update, but it updated overnight the other night. It's asking me to agree to billions and billions of microscopic letters, or I can't use iCloud. Am I good to go?

GeekyDad

Is it normal with this new update that when you try to edit the text of an alarm that the text only shows to a certain extent to the right, and that's it -- you can't edit beyond that, though there is more text?

GeekyDad

No issues on my end but I barely use my phone. I'm more of an iPad kind of guy.
Don't mind so much the stuff they added (which I don't think I will make use of), but I'm literally having to make two tries each time I try to open my phone. It just isn't recognizing my thumb, I guess. It'll light up the screen, but after that nothing, not even a denial with a request for my passcode thingy. And like I mentioned before, the alarm is all borked. Siri talks like a robot at times -- like something from the 50s or 60s. Seems like a bit of a hairy mess. It's bad enough they put this update out there, but to find my phone already updated one morning after I explicitly turned off auto-updates shortly after buying the phone about a year ago. I just don't get it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Don't mind so much the stuff they added (which I don't think I will make use of), but I'm literally having to make two tries each time I try to open my phone. It just isn't recognizing my thumb, I guess. It'll light up the screen, but after that nothing, not even a denial with a request for my passcode thingy. And like I mentioned before, the alarm is all borked. Siri talks like a robot at times -- like something from the 50s or 60s. Seems like a bit of a hairy mess. It's bad enough they put this update out there, but to find my phone already updated one morning after I explicitly turned off auto-updates shortly after buying the phone about a year ago. I just don't get it.
Try redoing/adding another print. You can get pretty extreme with the sides of your thumb if needed. I set up a couple of profiles for my thumb & index finger back when I had touch id.

GeekyDad

So, stupid, out-of-touch me didn't know there was such a thing as an "NFC" built into phones. I have an iPhone SE, not sure how to identify what generation it is (got them last year), and when I checked under Control Center/More Controls, there's no NFC option listed (that I can see, anyway).

Long story short, I wanna disable this fucking thing, stat! Can I? If so, how?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So, stupid, out-of-touch me didn't know there was such a thing as an "NFC" built into phones. I have an iPhone SE, not sure how to identify what generation it is (got them last year), and when I checked under Control Center/More Controls, there's no NFC option listed (that I can see, anyway).

Long story short, I wanna disable this fucking thing, stat! Can I? If so, how?

You can’t.

If you remove all cards from Apple Pay it’ll stop appearing to prompt you to chose and use a card.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Available for pre-load now and out on the 28th of this month.

Get the app designed specifically for classical music. Available to Apple Music subscribers at no additional cost. Instantly find any recording in the world’s largest classical music catalog with search built for the genre. Enjoy the highest audio quality available (up to 192 kHz/24-bit Hi-Res Lossless) and hear classical favorites like never before in spatial audio, all with zero ads.

Apple Music Classical also makes it easy for beginners to get acquainted with the genre thanks to hundreds of Essentials playlists, insightful composer biographies, deep-dive guides for many key works, and intuitive browsing features.

The Ultimate Classical Experience
• Get unlimited access to the world’s largest classical music catalog (over 5 million tracks) with everything from new releases to celebrated masterpieces, plus thousands of exclusive albums.
• Search by composer, work, conductor, or even catalog number, and find specific recordings instantly.
• Listen in the highest audio quality (up to 192 kHz/24 bit Hi-Res Lossless) and enjoy thousands of recordings in immersive spatial audio with Dolby Atmos.
• Benefit from complete and accurate metadata to make sure you know exactly what and who you are playing.
• Learn while you listen, with thousands of composer biographies, descriptions of key works, and more.
• Listen using AirPlay on compatible wireless devices.

Requirements
• Requires an Apple Music subscription (Individual, Student, Family, or Apple One). Not available with the Apple Music Voice Plan.
• Available worldwide where Apple Music is offered, excluding China, Japan, Korea, Russia, Taiwan, Turkey, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Available features and content may vary by country or region.
• Apple Music Classical is available for all iPhone models running iOS 15.4 or later.
• To listen to music on Apple Music Classical, you must have an internet connection.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I decided to upgrade to an M2 mini due to some freelance work I've picked up. It's arriving today, which I am really excited about. I'm upgrading from an Intel Macbook, so the performance gains on creativity software will be greatly appreciated. My week is stupid busy so I've got some crunch time ahead of me to hit a deadline. So this M2 and I are going to get acquainted real quick.

I also realized while doing this freelance work, that I genuinely have begun to prefer macOS over Windows. I was tied between the two since I picked up that first MacBook of mine until sometime last week. Being able to hop between Freeform to work with clients, and the Affinity suite, Final Cut, etc. is just so easy. Hell, even GarageBand is way more fleshed out than I would have anticipated. There's a lot of care and attention put into it, which really makes it a comfy OS for creatives.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Apple made the 12 Pro too good. I used to be champing at the bit to upgrade every year or two tops…now I don’t see a reason to spend any money on a new phone. Aside from the aging battery, this thing still feels brand new.
I’m on a 12 Pro as well. Still a fantastic device (and I really like pacific blue).

LordOfChaos

I really want iOS17 to be that rumored "Snow Leopard" release year with the focus mostly on getting bugs, slop, and jank down to near 0, and performance and efficiency overhauls. 4 major iOS16 releases in and a point release after 4 and it still doesn't feel settled, I still have bugs on interacting with the screen and it going dark, not coming up from sleep on tapping the screen, iMessage just throwing shit all over the screen for a second before snapping into sanity...This is not the functional high ground many of us entered the Apple ecosystem for. I'd give up all new features for a Snow Leopard release year that brought it to the most refined a mobile OS can be.

It's not just me...

(if you weren't into it at the time, this was a legendarily great release that almost none have stood up to after)

Celcius

°Temp. member
I really want iOS17 to be that rumored "Snow Leopard" release year with the focus mostly on getting bugs, slop, and jank down to near 0, and performance and efficiency overhauls. 4 major iOS16 releases in and a point release after 4 and it still doesn't feel settled, I still have bugs on interacting with the screen and it going dark, not coming up from sleep on tapping the screen, iMessage just throwing shit all over the screen for a second before snapping into sanity...This is not the functional high ground many of us entered the Apple ecosystem for. I'd give up all new features for a Snow Leopard release year that brought it to the most refined a mobile OS can be.

It's not just me...

(if you weren't into it at the time, this was a legendarily great release that almost none have stood up to after)

I occasionally get that bug where tapping the screen doesn't wake it up too, glad to know it's not just my phone. I'd definitely be down for an optimization release but knowing apple, they'll be trying to add as many new features for the dynamic island as they can.

Podge

Neo Member
Hi,

I’m looking for a refurbished iPad and am kind of stuck. I can’t decide between the 2021 Pro 11” 128gb model and the iPad Air 5 256gb model. The refurb prices for both are roughly the same here in Germany.

I am a graduate student and writer and use a MacBook Air M1 and iPhone SE 2020 if that is relevant. I don’t plan on gaming on the iPad or video editing.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hi,

I’m looking for a refurbished iPad and am kind of stuck. I can’t decide between the 2021 Pro 11” 128gb model and the iPad Air 5 256gb model. The refurb prices for both are roughly the same here in Germany.

I am a graduate student and writer and use a MacBook Air M1 and iPhone SE 2020 if that is relevant. I don’t plan on gaming on the iPad or video editing.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
What are you going to do with it?

Top Bottom