• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple has again emerged victorious in its legal battle with Epic Games

Draugoth

Gold Member

Apple has again emerged victorious in its long-running legal battle with Epic Games.

As reported by Bloomberg, the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld a lower-court judge’s 2021 ruling largely rejecting Epic’s claims that Apple violated federal law by not allowing any competing marketplaces on its iOS platform.

Epic’s antitrust lawsuit against the iPhone maker began in August 2020 after it moved to circumvent Apple’s 30% platform fees with a new direct payment option in Fortnite, leading to the game’s removal from the App Store and the termination of Epic’s developer account.

“There is a lively and important debate about the role played in our economy and democracy by online transaction platforms with market power,” the three-judge appeals panel said in the case’s latest ruling.

“Our job as a federal court of appeals, however, is not to resolve that debate — nor could we even attempt to do so. Instead, in this decision, we faithfully applied existing precedent to the facts.”

Fuz

Banned
My dream of seeing them both lose is gone...
svej4.gif

Power Pro

Not really one to want to agree with Apple on this one, but at the same time...Epic's argument always seemed like bull shit to me. Being on iOS devices was never a right, you either wanted to be on there and let them take their cut, or you didn't want to do that. It was their choice. It's a closed system, what made them think they had any right to debate it. They aren't forced to be on there.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not really one to want to agree with Apple on this one, but at the same time...Epic's argument always seemed like bull shit to me. Being on iOS devices was never a right, you either wanted to be on there and let them take their cut, or you didn't want to do that. It was their choice. It's a closed system, what made them think they had any right to debate it. They aren't forced to be on there.
The whole situation Is weird to me. Companies like Google get away with charging higher in-app prices than external prices and Apple doesn't remove their apps. I pay for a YouTube Premium family plan through Google because it's 6 bucks a month cheaper than subscribing through iOS. It's not the only app that way. There must be some condition that Epic screwed up.

Pejo

Well since they both couldn't lose, I guess I'll take this outcome. Tim's been increasingly unhinged lately, maybe he should take a step back and relax and stop moneyhatting exclusives in the PC sphere while he's at it.

Cyberpunkd

Wrong. That’s exactly the logic that leads to monopolies forming.
US might be ok with it since it forgot Teddy Rosevelt, EU is not.

ReBurn

Gold Member
loosers on era are celebrating this… „I dont want sideloading!“
Well, the whole "we do it to keep you safe" explanation is complete bullshit. They don't do it to keep people safe. They do it to make money. Similar to how Nintendo's seal of quality didn't ensure that games were good. It made sure that Nintendo controlled all aspects of game delivery.

I don't necessarily want side loading, either. But I also don't want Apple to be able to arbitrarily block my ability to install and use apps that I've paid for on the device that I paid their premium price for, which has happened to me several times. They don't do it to my MacBook. Why should they be able to do it to my other devices?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Well, the whole "we do it to keep you safe" explanation is complete bullshit. They don't do it to keep people safe. They do it to make money. Similar to how Nintendo's seal of quality didn't ensure that games were good. It made sure that Nintendo controlled all aspects of game delivery.

I don't necessarily want side loading, either. But I don't also want Apple to be able to arbitrarily block my ability to install and use apps that I've paid for on the device that I paid their premium price for, which has happened to me several times. They don't do it to my MacBook. Why should they be able to do it to my other devices?
Don't buy iPhones then.

No, really, don't buy iphones. Or macs. Most of their sales strategy just revolves around branding, aka tricking you into thinking their products are worth the high prices they charge for.

Last edited:

Same ol G

There's nothing to celebrate here because fuck Apple but also fuck Epic, what did they think they could just one day decide to stop paying.
Really the mentality of some people when they get a bit of power.

calistan

Don't buy iPhones then.

No, really, don't buy iphones. Or macs. Most of their sales strategy just revolves around branding, aka tricking you into thinking their products are worth the high prices they charge for.
Shit, I wish you'd been around to warn me before I wasted so much time and money buying Macs and iPhones for the last fuck-knows-how-many years! I didn't realise I'd been duped.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Don't buy iPhones then.

No, really, don't buy iphones. Or macs. Most of their sales strategy just revolves around branding, aka tricking you into thinking their products are worth all the money they charge for.
My MacBook is worth every penny that I paid for it. It's better for what I do in nearly every way than a Windows or Linux box. I have a Windows laptop for Azure and .NET stuff but for my personal projects Mac is heads doen the most stable and well-integrated platform I use. I have a Mac Mini that I've been using as a personal server for more than 10 years and it's been solid. They make good stuff.

The thing about iOS is most people don't know that they're trapped until after they buy in. "If you don't want us to control everything you do then you shouldn't have purchased our stuff" is as anti-consumer as it gets.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Shit, I wish you'd been around to warn me before I wasted so much time and money buying Macs and iPhones for the last fuck-knows-how-many years! I didn't realise I'd been duped.
My wife and kids all wanted iPhones, so I bought them Android phones instead and patiently explained to them that I have a philosophical problem with Apple’s closed garden ecosystem.

Now my kids hate me and my wife hasn’t slept with me in months. But I still feel good that I stood up for my principles.

Nydius

I‘m not going to cheerlead for either company as they’re both pretty shit but, that said, Epic’s lawsuit always stunk of massive hypocrisy. While they whined about Apple’s walled garden, they were actively using their money to build their own on PC, including dropping truckloads of money on developers to sway them to ignore Steam.

Sweeney is angry that he can’t control Apple’s walled garden and replace it with his own.

coffinbirth

Don't buy iPhones then.

Yeah, who wants a faster processor, better parts, build quality, software support and security?
Not to mention the fact that Samsung's flagship Android phone is MORE expensive than the 1TB iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Great argument.

I hate Sweeney's fake "fighting for the little guy" act he puts on whenever he attempts to extract every penny of profit possible from partners.

Anyway, Apple will be forced to change in the near future due to EU mandates.

Ronin_7

Banned
Apple can't stop winning 🤣

Funniest shit was MS wasting their time in court with this shit and getting humiliated by Apple lawyers 🤣🤣🤣🤣

"Put up or shut up" 🤣🤣

Hopefully it continues to get appealed, so both continue to lose money and maybe we get some more fun information like with the first trial. Also I don't like either company, but I don't like Apple more

Guilty_AI

Don't buy iPhones then.

the number of people who got mad at this lmao

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Epic takes a very similar stance with the assets that they provide on the Unreal Asset Store.
If Epic provides the assets, they can only be used in Unreal.

Lets see how fast Team U wants those meta humans used on other platforms :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom