• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently the long-standing PS5 performance issues of Sable won't be fixed as the developer states that they "need to start making new stuff"

So earlier this month Sable was added to the PS+ Essential lineup of games alongside Lego 2K Drive and Powerwash Simulator. While that's great because it means more people can experience the game and its amazing soundtrack, it's important to mention that there are long-standing performance issues that have remained unaddressed since the launch of the PS5 port last year — the game suffers from terrible FPS drops in certain areas and stutters significantly.

People have been asking the developers for months about any news regarding a possible update that could fix these performance issues, and finally a few days ago one of the developers, Gregorios Kythreotis, responded on X stating that unfortunately the PS5 version will not be patched or improved. The reason given was that they are a small team and have already moved on to other projects.

I feel like both the developer and Sony have somewhat dropped the ball here by including it in the PS+ Essential lineup...

As you can imagine people are of course frustrated with the dev's response on X:

UYSjsay.png

skit_data

Haven't played it yet, how bad is it?

Edit: Saw the youtube vid now, damn thats quite bad for a game that seemingly has so little stuff going on

Last edited:

Mr Moose

System Requirements​

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400/ Intel i3-6100
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 750Ti/HD 6970
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 3 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: Use of controller recommended
  • Recommended:
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600X / Intel i5-9600K
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 1050 Ti/R9 285

Lazy half assed port?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yeah its trash, I really really wanted to play and enjoy this but its so egregious I essentially lose control of the character temporarily as it arbitrarily drops frames when you look in one direction when all others give a perfectly locked fps. Thats PS5, the PC version's demo nearly drove me to madness trying to fix their (fundamentally fucked, like Arkham Knight) framepacing and bizarre fps lock/v-sync situation.

The start of this video shows the problem, except thats not even as bad as it gets, sometimes its like its running at 15fps but its usually just frametime spikes rather than the GPU being saturated.

Lazy half assed port?

Bare in mind this is a port of a game where pausing forced it out of exclusive fullscreen and back to borderless window, wtf is that lol. So double yes.

Last edited:

squarealex

System Requirements​

• Minimum:
  • Recommended:

Lazy half assed port?
The game runs litteraly with a PS4 Power at minimal and runs like shit on PS5? LMAO...

Kilau

System Requirements​

• Minimum:
  • Recommended:

Lazy half assed port?
Played like ripe ass on XSX so I switched to PC and had to lock the FPS at 30 to avoid the crazy spikes.

Kuranghi

Its hilarious how the dev's wording makes it seems way as if its that they just need a more powerful console or something.

The code they've written is just fundamentally fucked (many Unity games have these types of issues, its not unique to them, just particularly bad in this case) and needs fixed, you can tell this because if you play on PC and turn it 720p and minimum settings it still does these things, so its actually worse than Arkham Knight because you can still hide the frame-pacing problems there by brute forcing it with massive amounts of GPU & CPU power.

Exo One and Recompile have the same sort of problems for me, I just gave up on trying to fix them, I sent a video of the problem to both of the devs and the Recompile guy was quite rude to me and basically gaslighted me and the Exo One dev was like "sorry I don't know why it does that and so I can't fix it". The Exo One dev was a very pleasant man and he spent as much time trying to help me as was reasonable, that one really hurt as I was waiting for years to play that, I really want to try it on PS5 but its not out yet.

Some of these problems I have could be caused by having an old CPU, but if it is then it seems like a problem with Unity because it performs fine in 98% of the other games I play and I am able to tweak and lock them to my refresh rate (60hz).

Kuranghi

Played like ripe ass on XSX so I switched to PC and had to lock the FPS at 30 to avoid the crazy spikes.

Even when I did a 30fps lock I got the spikes, I tried so many methods and combinations of methods, I tried to fix it for literal hours and gave up. Exo One. was ridiculous, like 10 hours spent trying to fix it lmao.

phaedrus

Yeah tried it a few days ago, I couldn't believe there was stuttering right in the beginning in that small room when I turned the camera.
Played for about 10 minutes and gave up as the stuttering was making me nauseous.

What a shame, I like the Moebius-like art style & setting.

I wonder if it's better to play the PS4 version on PS5? I'm gonna try that. Urgh, there's no PS4 version.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Maybe I didnt notice stuttering because it goes right along with the stylistic lowfps movement of the character model? I dunno I played like 2 hrs of the ps5 version andthe only egregious stuttering I noticed was when it autosaved. And honestly, who really cares, its just another in a long line of indie games worth checking out for maybe a couple hours then moving on and forgetting about.

ShakenG

Sounds like they need to eek out some more experience making games.. id start by tidying up this one before moving on.

GHG

The unfortunate reality is that they wont learn from this because they've been rewarded via a sub service payout instead of being exposed to open market sales (which would be low given the games poor performance).

Get ready for their next game to perform even worse.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony should remove this woke piece of shit from the store.
With performance so bad, it goes exactly against what console gaming is all about nowadays (best place to play and so on).
And is it really so much work to go there, see why fps drops and adjust settings? Are you really trying to tell me it's more than 45 minutes of work ?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Well... he is not lying. Patching your game takes resources; some studios may not have them.

If we are being honest with ourselves here, the only thing this guy did wrong was tell the truth. If they had lied and just said, "We are aware of the issues the game has and will continue to do our best to resolve them", this thread won't even exist right now.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Why they would ? They already hwve the money for the subscription add-on ... subscription services are a cancer .... to all entertainment industries? Even more for games.

Last edited:
Welcome to modern gaming.
You joke, but this is inevitable. As more games are created using various forms of middleware and third-party engines, it will be impossible for developers to fully debug or optimize their games. It may even be getting to the point where the creators of these game engines and middleware no longer fully grasp enough to assist in the matter.

It's a real shame and kinda crappy that they've left the game in such a state. It looks especially bad since they took the time to port it to PS5 and it's essentially dead on arrival.

I played and beat the game at launch on PC. I loved my time with it, but the technical performance was always a real downer that detracted from the experience. I would hope that 2 years would have given them enough time to sort all of this out...

Tarnpanzer

Played on Series X. Performance was very bad from time to time but nothing unplayable.

Please don´t sleep on this gem.

StereoVsn

Played on Series X. Performance was very bad from time to time but nothing unplayable.

Please don´t sleep on this gem.
Nobody should be supporting that shit. I don’t care if they are a small studio if they release a defective product.

Who the hell would buy their next game considering the previous one had terrible performance?

Top Bottom