• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends (F2P Titanfall BR) available on PS4, XB1 and PC RIGHT NOW!

Jaw1love

Banned
Actually, this game is kinda dope. Lol. best BR game I've played yet. Still want to see a proper Titanfall 3 but, alright

Alx

Why would they keep making mainline Titanfall games when they keep dying shortly after release? That formula obviously doesn't work. Instead they've released what appears to be a feature-complete, polished BR with monetization in place. This will make money in a way the past 2 Titanfails didn't.

Titanfall is still very active on consoles. I even played a few rounds of the first one a few days ago.

stickkidsam

The thing that sucks most about this is that Apex Legends could be a really fun game, but it might be what Titanfall 3 was scrapped for. That and lootboxes leave me not wanting to support it.

YayNJ

Banned
Is anyone else having difficulty actually finding guns?

I've played a couple of games but only actually found armour yet?!

RandallFlagg

Neo Member
Yikes, they should have made something else. This game doesn't seem fun and the 3 matches I played made it to final 3 and it doesn't feel smooth to me. Some may like it but it isn't fun atm.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Titanfall is still very active on consoles. I even played a few rounds of the first one a few days ago.

You're missing my point. How much money are they making off of the current playerbase? Whatever it is it probably isn't paying the bills.

Last edited:

Inviusx

People so quick to trash and judge....what a great discussion. Maybe try it out first? Respawn is an excellent developer with a great support record. Give it a chance before you hot-take it into oblivion. They also said they are not currently, actively developing TF3...doesn't mean there will be no TF3....Chill the fuck out everyone.

Response from all who have played it is overwhelmingly positive so I am game.

Respawn (Infinity Ward) are a team that historically have been trend setters, not followers. This is a cash grab with all the the trappings of a game that would fit it in perfectly in 2016.

Javthusiast

Banned
I doubt the fortnite crowd will care. The more close competition is blackout, then maybe pubg.

And compared to cod and pubg it is actually free to play, so there is a chance to get people hooked easier.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
post mortem:

First time playing BR absolutely hate it but now I understand the appeal. its a game for plebian campers. the whole finding guns and armour its just not for me. Love titanfall but a HARD pass.

Calibos

Respawn (Infinity Ward) are a team that historically have been trend setters, not followers. This is a cash grab with all the the trappings of a game that would fit it in perfectly in 2016.

Well then people should have bought and played their past 2 amazing games. People should stop holding grudges and whining about publishers and just play the fucking games. If this is a cash grab, Respawn deserves my money...they make bad-ass shooters.

Boss Mog

Actually, this game is kinda dope. Lol. best BR game I've played yet. Still want to see a proper Titanfall 3 but, alright

There is going to be a proper Titanfall 3. Respawn decided they didn't want to reuse TF2 engine because they just weren't happy with the visuals compared to other games out there so they decided to start TF3 from scratch but rather than just throw all the work they had already done on it they decided to make Apex Legends out of it. TF3 is still coming but with them having restarted it will probably be a couple of years away which is fine because then it can be on next gen. Imagine TF3 as a launch title for next gen, that would be pretty great.

Inviusx

Well then people should have bought and played their past 2 amazing games. People should stop holding grudges and whining about publishers and just play the fucking games. If this is a cash grab, Respawn deserves my money...they make bad-ass shooters.

That's a terrible attitude to have, people shouldn't just mindlessly play stuff in spite of shady business practices, especially when we're dealing with the absolute godfather of shady shit.

Javthusiast

Banned
There is going to be a proper Titanfall 3. Respawn decided they didn't want to reuse TF2 engine because they just weren't happy with the visuals compared to other games out there so they decided to start TF3 from scratch but rather than just throw all the work they had already done on it they decided to make Apex Legends out of it. TF3 is still coming but with them having restarted it will probably be a couple of years away which is fine because then it can be on next gen. Imagine TF3 as a launch title for next gen, that would be pretty great.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I won't begrudge anyone who wants to give the game the benefit of the doubt.

But also don't begrudge people the right to be upset about this shift in direction. EA is not a trustworthy company so for many this is yet another "told you so" when it comes to EA and talented developers.

Boss Mog

I played 6 matches and I gotta say it's pretty damn good, a lot better than blackout because as long as 1 player on the team is alive he can respawn the dead, not just the knocked down players but the fully dead ones too. To resurect a completely dead person on your team you need to grab their banner from their loot box and bring it to a respawn beacon, the player will then respawn, though they will have lost all their gear.

So basically even though my team had run ins with other teams we still managed to pull through because one guy always survived, that was really cool. In blackout, one bad encounter and it's over.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I played 6 matches and I gotta say it's pretty damn good, a lot better than blackout because as long as 1 player on the team is alive he can respawn the dead, not just the knocked down players but the fully dead ones too. To resurect a completely dead person on your team you need to grab their banner from their loot box and bring it to a respawn beacon, the player will then respawn, though they will have lost all their gear.

So basically even though my team had run ins with other teams we still managed to pull through because one guy always survived, that was really cool. In blackout, one bad encounter and it's over.
Thanks for posting your impressions amidst this hate-fest.

Codes 208

It’s a little stuttery but it definitely feels like blackout meets pilot gameplay from Titanfall. Especially as a pathfinder with its grapple hook

Boss Mog

I don't really believe that because it's not like they can say yeah it's coming right now when they're trying to get people hyped for this game. TF2 despite lackluster sales was beloved by all who played it both single player and multiplayer were top notch. There's no reason not to try and make another one, though it might depend on how much money Apex Legends brings in. But during the live stream Respawn specifically said they want to expand and continue to develop the TF universe, so I definitely think we'll see TF3, just not anytime soon.

Last edited:

Isa

I enjoy it a fair bit! I prefer 3rd person but I'm able to adapt well enough. I actually just won a match with randoms lol. I like the hero aspects and potential team play and strategy involved. I love healing but managed to do well enough as Wraith. I like how you can stick together on the drop, plus the ability to ping stuff is valuable. The artstyle is nice, slightly cel-shaded it seems giving it an occasional borderlands vibe which is neat. I also like seeing the universe explored a bit more. Overall I like it and see no reason to spend money yet, looking forward to trying with my friends later and seeing what other heroes will eventually come out.

Alx

I love the feedback of the guns, the mobility is fine (still has that TF feel especially with the slide, but much less acrobatic unfortunately). The whole gameplay seems well rounded especially for squad-based games. It's too bad I'm terrible at survival games.
Not sure I like the long time to kill, though, people seem to take a lot of damage, I'd rather have shorter fights (if I can surprise you coming in your back, you should be dead with a few shots).
I managed to "win" a game (I actually died after 10 min and another teammate soon after, but I had randomly joined a streamer who managed to finish the game on her own).

Codes 208

For the most part this is definitely a f2p blackout set in the tf universe. Which in itself isn’t bad, I’ve played three matches so far and it’s pretty fun. I’ll def take it over pubg

just played a few rounds, had fun. got 2nd place in one with my buddy and 1 random

movement is good and the gunplay feels right. and it runs really well. overall pretty solid so far

Just got my first win after a couple matches. Pretty fun game, feels good, I think it's a good number of people per match, and matches are a good length.

Well, gave it a shot, because hey, it's a Respawn game. Hated it, but that's because I hate the randomness of br. Oh, and this shit where you spend time trying to find a damned gun, and compete with your team mates over it. Other than that, movement feels gimped but I guess that comes with the type of game it is.

Sort of ironic that Respawn took burn cards out of TF because of them being too random and then developed a whole game around it. What a bunch of bs.

TeamGhobad

Banned
dont want to troll but i think this picture is very relevant.

titanfall-BR.png

Top Bottom