• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Seattle's $15 per hour minimum wage law hasn’t cut jobs

KSweeley

AP just reported that no jobs has been lost as a result of Seattle's minimum wage increase to $15 per hour: https://apnews.com/91eecc75fe824fb8...:-Study:-Seattle-minimum-wage-hasn't-cut-jobs

June 20, 2017

SEATTLE (AP) — A new study says Seattle’s $15-an-hour minimum wage law has boosted pay for restaurant workers without costing jobs.

The report, from the University of California at Berkeley, is certain to add to the debate as activists around the country push for increases in local, state and federal minimum wages.

The report, obtained by The Associated Press before its official release, focused on food service jobs, which some critics said could be disproportionately affected if increased wages forced restaurants to cut workers’ hours.

Author Michael Reich says that hasn’t been the case.

Aselith

It doesn't answer the criticism that the article mentions at least not as quoted. Has it resulted in reduced hours for workers?

It doesn't answer the criticism that the article mentions at least not as quoted. Has it resulted in reduced hours for workers?

THIS is the question. It's not just about the job itself.

The issue is less hours equaling the same payroll totals at the higher pay.

It happens in food service all the time. You don't lose your job, you just work 5 less hours a week.

The last time the base rate for servers was upped, the hours per person went down a week later.

Any company with a thin profit margin doesn't magically have extra money in payroll budget just because they have to pay more.
Either they lose money of make it up on payroll.
What I want to see is a breakdown or how much money people in these jobs make over the next year compared to before and how profit was effected and how in turn that effect prices

AoM

This entirely misses the point of raising the minimum wage.

If you can't afford rent on $7.50/hr at 40 hours a week, making $15/hr at 20 hours a week doesn't change that.

Exactly. Maybe the expected response is, "Well, now you have the time to work a second job"?

Edit: Yup, called it lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

If you can't afford rent on $7.50/hr at 40 hours a week, making $15/hr at 20 hours a week doesn't change that.
Sure it does, you now have 20 free earning hours you didn't have before.

Aselith

i mean, if i can earn the same working half the time i used to, isnt that good also?

Not necessarily as 5 less hours could result in you falling under eligibility threshold for insurance and things like that.

Plus, while you do get more time off, this would not result in incraesed pay (the intent) without you getting a second job which can be stressful as far as juggling two schedules.

It would be helpful to know if people have seen increased pay or if pay remained static.

goldenpp72

Well I mean, i'd probably try to find a second job then if that was the case, definitely preferable still.

I'm all for increasing minimum wage for urban high-cost of living places like Seattle, I'm just iffy for a blanket federal minimum wage that might hurt lower-cost of living rural areas.

Aselith

will companies even cut hours? someone gotta cover the shift right?

Thats why the study needs to answer that question. We don't know.

What a horrible shame that would be. The same pay, for less work.

Its not that it's a shame, it's that we need to know if people are seeing earnings increases which is the intent of raising it. Do they end the year with same money or more? People who are poor as fuck don't necessarily want more free time.It doesn't hurt but sometimes you just wanna be less poor too.

Good thing that's not what's happening at all

Like a fucking restaurant can cut half of all it's labor and still actually operate, my god

will companies even cut hours? someone gotta cover the shift right?

The first post you quoted literally states that the article doesn't answer the criticism of whether or not hours were reduced. If hours were reduced, then it's not working.

It's one thing to say "nobody lost their job". It's another to say "except now they're all working half as much and therefore I'm not obligated to provide them benefits."

Good thing that's not what's happening at all

Like a fucking restaurant can cut half of all it's labor and still actually operate, my god
Can you find another source that speaks about reduction (or not) in hours? Again, that's what the article in the OP doesn't cover.

Theonik

It does because I can then hypothetically get more time for a second job or college. Demand for labour doesn't go down because the wages are higher either.
Restaurants must be staffed to operate.

slit

The first post you quoted literally states that the article doesn't answer the criticism of whether or not hours were reduced. If hours were reduced, then it's not working.

It's one thing to say "nobody lost their job". It's another to say "except now they're all working half as much and therefore I'm not obligated to provide them benefits."

Can you find another source that speaks about reduction (or not) in hours? Again, that's what the article in the OP doesn't cover.

I have a hard time believing all minimum wage workers in Seattle had their hours cut in half. The places still have to actually run.

Aselith

So confused by this thread right now. Are people in here arguing against having more data because they might not like the answer or something?

Asking if hours are being cut should be part of this study. Like, of course it needs answer what even is this...

I have a hard time believing all minimum wage workers in Seattle had their hours cut in half. The places still have to actually run.

Nobody said they were cut in half, it was a hypothetical explanation. Businesses run understaffed all the time. Salaried employees get tasked with work that an hourly employee might have normally performed. Hours are reduced and benefits are cut. It's more cost efficient to pay 2 people to work two halves of the same job if you don't have to offer them benefits.

Trust me, I support the idea of raising the minimum wage. I'm just trying to find out more beyond "nobody lost their job". It's not as simple as that.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Realistically I don't believe businesses will be able to suddenly raise their payroll so what they'll do is cut hours but require the same amount of work to be done with less hours and justify it by saying "you're getting paid more".

Work done per dollar doesn't change unless it's affected by innovation.

If dollar per hour is forced to change then work per hour will change to compensate.

Oversimplifying though.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Those hours have to be worked, they can't not have shifts filled. Ask anyone who has worked a shitty entry level job whether there was ever a time that staffing was at anything other than the bare minimum. How would it lead to cut hours?

Aselith

Be that as it may, fuck yeah working twenty hours getting paid forty.

Until you realize that you need to work 30+ to be eligible for your health benefits and no amount of 20 hour part time jobs are going to change that.

Those hours have to be worked, they can't not have shifts filled. Ask anyone who has worked a shitty entry level job whether there was ever a time that staffing was at anything other than the bare minimum. How would it lead to cut hours?

In spite of the answer being very obvious to you, do you not think that the study should verify that?

If an employee being paid 15 an hour has their hours cut, then another employee will simply make up for it.......getting paid 15 an hour......so what's the point?

If working hours in general are made shorter, then the business is less productive, reduces its own ability to make money......no serious business will ever do that.

If the wage increased decreased working hours by the same amount (in reality it wont), then people could potentially use that extra time for study or a second job.

what is wrong with that?

Cut hours based purely on base pay aren't really an issue. If a business needs 40 hours of work at 15 bucks whether that's split between one or two employees it's sill 40 hours of work. Now what will happen is employers will pay more attention to overtime. So an associate could see less money if their overtime is cut due to the raising of the minimum wage. A lot of times its cheaper to pay someone overtime instead of hiring, training, and paying the benefits of a new associate. You raise the base pay and it may be cheaper to hire an extra person instead of paying overtime. Sure one more person gets a job but that person who used to get overtime is now taking home less money.

cdyhybrid

Until you realize that you need to work 30+ to be eligible for your health benefits and no amount of 20 hour part time jobs are going to change that.

In spite of the answer being very obvious to you, do you not think that the study should verify that?
Sounds like we should be pushing for universal healthcare then ;)

Nester99

If an employee being paid 15 an hour has their hours cut, then another employee will simply make up for it.......getting paid 15 an hour......so what's the point?

If working hours in general are made shorter, then the business is less productive, reduces its own ability to make money......no serious business will ever do that.

or the owner picks up the shift, does not pay him/herself and goes home to continue hating life.

HeySeuss

Thank goodness I thought I was losing my mind. Someone that can see the bigger picture. This thread is hurting my brain.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Except someone has to cover the shift. If a place needs 12 workers a day to operate, then they need 12 workers a day. Your point ignores basic economics.

Trouble

Banned
If the wage increased decreased working hours by the same amount (in reality it wont), then people could potentially use that extra time for study or a second job.

what is wrong with that?

Poor people with leisure time? That's how revolutions get started. Gotta keep them downtrodden.

That article and several others were based on bullshit correlation of unrelated data.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ge-dooming-seattle-restaurants-owners-say-no/

Prices for food has gone up pretty significantly. That's the one I pay the most attention to since it's an everyday cost. An order I made at the beginning of the year that cost me 14.75 now costs me 16.80. That's not insignificant.
what we need to know is how much of that increase is directly attributed to this rate hike and how much is standard food inflation

Something is missing here. If I'm understanding correctly. The $15 an hour wage isn't in effect until 2021 and they are very slowly raising the minimum wage until then. Seems way too early to draw any conclusions.

Nafai1123

Banned
Restaurants can't just cut half their hours and expect to function, nor can they hire inexperienced people to take those hours and pay them less.

HeySeuss

Except someone has to cover the shift. If a place needs 12 workers a day to operate, then they need 12 workers a day. Your point ignores basic economics.

Employers don't have to pay insurance benefits for part time employees. They can hire twice as many employees and give them half the hours, which would be the same amount of hours they always had. Doing that they still come out ahead because nobody is eligible for insurance.

And in reality, now they have more leverage to ask more of their employees since they are paying more which can also lead to more selective hiring as well as being terminated easier for someone eager to make 15/hour.

Top Bottom