• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else suffering "Souls Fatigue"?

Ywap

I played all the Dark Souls games two times each (DS1, 2 and 3) and after that i got burnt out. I didn´t even play Sekiro and i have no desire to play Elden ring.

Yes, they ARE great games and i know Sekiro is great and Elden Ring will be awesome but i have no desire to play them anymore. I really hope that change in the future because i got so much enjoyment from my Souls period.

I love these games. BUT they are very samey at this point. Similar mechanics with a twist and a different theme. Dark souls but with guns and without a shield plus Lovecraft. Dark souls with grappling hook and stealth in japan. Next: dark souls open world and you have a horse.

Kuranghi

Jedi Fallen Order was the worst, nearly ruined that game for me, just a pointless addition. I didn't mind fighting the enemies again when I died but having to get all the collectibles again was the worst. If the combat was better then it wouldn't have been as much of an issue, too much auto blocking and animation cancelling shite to artifically increase the difficulty of killing trash mobs. The fascination to make trash mobs take a minimum amount of time to kill is a bane on games in general, they are called trash mobs for a reason, you are supposed to obliterate them.

Woggleman

I never got into it in the first place. To each their own but they are the gaming version of the indie band that people praise to high heavens in order to sound elitist.

Jaysen

Banned
Nope. Give me a fucking Bloodborne 60fps patch this holiday, Sony. How the hell do you get fatigued by a series that releases a game every 2-3 years? Some of you…

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Ever since I first played one on PS3. Why anyone would punish themselves that way is beyond me.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It has been a while since the last one, so I am looking forward to Elden Ring when it comes. The souls games are great, but Bloodbourne is not. Elden Ring looks really good though.

Tschumi

I haven't played souls games so i wouldn't know, but I've been fighting against death Standing fatigue since the first time i played it

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Really just waiting on Elden Ring at this point. Haven’t played a good “Souls-like” since Remnant, which was a Diabloish take on the genre. Most of the rest have been pale imitations.

If I had access to Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne probably yes. My PS3 broke a while ago and I borrowed a friends PS4 back in the day to play BB. Currently I’m replaying DaS 1-3, and if I had DeS and BB I’d probably be burned out after playing all five of them. Sekiro doesn’t really play like a Souls game that much, so I don’t think it will get old when I play it again before Elden Ring is out.

Simpkin92

I definitely think I’m fatigued from it a little bit. Loved Dark Souls 1, was super hyped when 3 came out and loved it to death. Sekiro came out and just looked like more of the same. Now I’m having a hard time generating any internal hype for Elden Ring

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can't really replay any of the games. I have about enough tolerance to play through them once when they come out.

Finished Demon's Souls on PS5 last year, and I guess I'm about ready for Elden Ring in January.

Yes but that's my own fault really. In preparation for Elden Ring I decided I would platinum DS1, 2 and 3. The farming in 3 just broke me and I'm now happy we're 5 months away from Elden Ring lol

skit_data

Yes but that's my own fault really. In preparation for Elden Ring I decided I would platinum DS1, 2 and 3. The farming in 3 just broke me and I'm now happy we're 5 months away from Elden Ring lol
Oh, if the farming in DS1 broke you don’t ever attempt farming the pure bladestone in the original Demon’s Souls. Luckily they fixed the drop rate in the remake.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Eventually I move onto another game you could go back and play games and discover new things.

Oh, if the farming in DS1 broke you don’t ever attempt farming the pure bladestone in the original Demon’s Souls. Luckily they fixed the drop rate in the remake.

The farming in DS3 actually. More specifically Vertebra Schackles and Proof of a Concord Kept... it's just crazy low drop rates it's not even funny.

I've heard about the pure bladestone in the original, I'm not getting nowhere near close to trying that lol

iHaunter

Not really.
For me to play through Soulslike takes ages...
It's a nice game to have on the side, come back to when you want to get punished.
Tom And Jerry Reaction GIF

I didn't enjoy Dark Souls 3 as much as enjoyed and loved the first 2 games. It was too similar and the additions like the weapon arts didn't do much for me. I didn't find the areas particularly strong or among the best in the series, same for the Bosses.

The best thing about Dark Souls 3 is the DLCs, the core game is rather short, too samey. I appreciate throwbacks but I don't want to the same stuff again, same NPCs like Onion Knight, Andre the smithy (Patches is ok as always), same spells, worse upgrade paths, worse Boss weapons, same rings, even some similar bosses (the fire Demon, Yhorm and the very same stormruler from Demon's Souls) the NPC stories aren't that special either. The best areas are Archdragon Peak and the new Prison of Latria throwback and the Nameless King is the best boss from the core game. Covenants are pretty much the same too, the rewards are not worhwhile and a pain in the ass to get. I platinumed the game.

Last edited:

skit_data

The farming in DS3 actually. More specifically Vertebra Schackles and Proof of a Concord Kept... it's just crazy low drop rates it's not even funny.

I've heard about the pure bladestone in the original, I'm not getting nowhere near close to trying that lol
Ah, yes those Silver Knights on the stairs of Anor Londo probably died +200 times each when I platinumed DS3, I forgot about that covenant item farming xD

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Disclaimer: I'm well aware they're some of the very best games in the industry. Some purity in a sea of cinematic mediocrity, and I'm probably going to catch flak for this. I'm not even going to get into all the "Soulslikes"... not sure how that even became a sub genre, but let's get right to the main entries. I'm just about tapping out here. Sure they're all great games, but how many times can I walk into through the foggy gates and dodge roll, parry, risposte. It feels to me like variations of the same (admittedly great) game done over and over again in a different setting with the balance tweeked sometimes in favor of defence (Souls), aggressiveness (Bloodborne), or stealth and parry (Seikiro). I was expecting something fresh with Elden Ring but it looks like Dark Souls with stealth and mounts, and I'm not big on the visuals. It's probably the least excited I've been for a new Souls.

Actually, I was more excited for Bloodborne when it was announced and I still think it's the creme de la creme of Soulsborne gaming. They nailed the artstyle and combat.
Nope. Everytime an actual Soulsborne game comes out its an event on the level of a new release of GTA or Metal Gear for me.

I always want more, but that's just me. We are talking about what....6 games? 7 if you count Demon's Souls Remake? Over the course of....what 13 or so years? I think that's a good pace. I'm always ready to jump back in to the next one. Granted, I play a Souls game to the degree that I'll beat the game about 5 or 6 times and then start on a new character to make a meta build for PVP (SL 120, plus or minus a few levels). So I'm not playing these games to absolute death really. Last Souls game I've been able to play was Sekiro. I beat it about 3 times...and that came out 2 and a half years ago. Fuck yea I'm ready for Elden Ring now.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Nah. By the time it releases, it will almost have been 3 years since Sekiro. I'm at the point where I can't wait to dive back into a world that FromSoftware has created.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Souls games are the most overhyped genre in gaming history and are some of the most tedious, joyless experiences you can have with this medium. Bloodborne was somehow a weird exception. But I will give Elden Ring a chance even with its terrible lineage.

stn

Not at all. I still have to beat Sekiro, Souls 1-3, and Bloodborne. Not bored at all. My goal is to beat them all by the time Elden Ring releases, and I plan on going current gen at that time.

EDIT: I platted both Nioh 1 and 2, so hoping to plat all the Souls-like games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom