• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else hate browsing internet and posting on forums while on Cell Phone?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am currently in hospital for shcheduled check. So I have with me my Galaxy S9 and trying to kill the waiting by browsing in here and wrote quality posts™. But that shit is ridiculously cumbersome.

I am using Google Chrome due to login by some strong password which is synced between devices.

And I fucking despise it, firstly I like to type on landscape, which is unusable, since you see shit with keyboard taking half of the screen. Secondly, Chrome (Phone edition) is buggy as fuck and sometimes shit simply does not work in editor in here, I have to restarr it and try again. It's slow as fuck and I don't understand how anyone could use Cell Phone for something else other than emergency internet browsing, GPS navigation and writing messages on messengers and even that is simply not as comfortable as on Laptop.

So if any of my recent post contains some dumbass shit, you know why.

It's tough to do my duty serving Neogaf while on Phone. And obviously other sites too, but this is the forum, I wanted to be in, for like 10 years and now this shit.

I probably need a larger phone...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Even with a larger phone it’s shit. Phones are consumption devices, not production devices. They do not suit composition of long form thoughts. They are a large part of why the internet got dumb.

Mistake

I’m starting to feel the “get a larger phone” thing too, as some games are a pain with so much going on, or dumb apps force me to type in vertical which messes with my hands after a while

Last edited:
I find browsing easier since I got an iPhone, for example I can directly save an image on Google Images without having to access the web page it’s uploaded on as it might not show up there.

But yeah, nothing beats a desktop computer or laptop.

Mato

Speaking of which. There is a bug when I browse GAF on Firefox android. The "select all" hovering button appears and just won't disappear.

Last edited:

M1chl

Even with a larger phone it’s shit. Phones are consumption devices, not production devices. They do not suit composition of long form thoughts. They are a large part of why the internet got dumb.
Yeah probably, but I just understand how could anyone suffer willingly, I understand that due to frustration people wrote simple and straight to the point messages like "kill yourself", since something more elaborate does not seems to be worth it, while on phone. I mean look at this shit:
screenshot_20200127-091j7y.jpg

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah probably, but I just understand how could anyone suffer willingly, I understand that due to frustration people wrote simple and straight to the point messages like "kill yourself", since something more elaborate does not seems to be worth it, while on phone. I mean look at this shit:
screenshot_20200127-091j7y.jpg

You could try working portrait. It makes the keyboard a bit small but at least then you can see some of the content. Or maybe get a little bluetooth keyboard so the screen is completely clear. But realistically even that's shit. Hell, even typing on a tablet is a load of shit as even there the keyboard is a compromise. The only good way to use a forum is on a computer.

M1chl

You could try working portrait. It makes the keyboard a bit small but at least then you can see some of the content. Or maybe get a little bluetooth keyboard so the screen is completely clear. But realistically even that's shit. Hell, even typing on a tablet is a load of shit as even there the keyboard is a compromise. The only good way to use a forum is on a computer.
Obviously, but I am travelling light when it comes to doctors, which is just a few hours (mainly due to waiting for blood tests to come from the lab), so I am heading home for that sweet Laptop/PC experience : )

Anyway for portrait, the keyboard is just to small for me and I don't havd particulary large hands. Well maybe I do, since PlayStation controllers have been always uncomfortable for me. So I don't know. But larger phone, I mean I just want to keep normal pockets...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously, but I am travelling light when it comes to doctors, which is just a few hours (mainly due to waiting for blood tests to come from the lab), so I am heading home for that sweet Laptop/PC experience : )

Anyway for portrait, the keyboard is just to small for me and I don't havd particulary large hands. Well maybe I do, since PlayStation controllers have been always uncomfortable for me. So I don't know. But larger phone, I mean I just want to keep normal pockets...

The swipe keyboards help a bit when working with it in portrait though yeah I do struggle with it tbh - my posts on a phone are always shit compared to on a laptop. Have you considered something in the Macbook Air style? The downside I guess is the cash. These things aren't cheap.

M1chl

The swipe keyboards help a bit when working with it in portrait though yeah I do struggle with it tbh - my posts on a phone are always shit compared to on a laptop. Have you considered something in the Macbook Air style? The downside I guess is the cash. These things aren't cheap.
I had Macbook Air 2013 and now I have Macbook Pro 2019 13" and honestly, it's not worth it to take with me, even though this is nice hospital, so I can sit to a table and do some shit, but these quick checks are too little time for me to take laptop with me. Anyway I just wrote OP, because I constantly read that people browse internet on phone, which seems like unnecessary pain. And when it comes to phones, with those prices you could buy laptop easily and some shitty Huawei phone and you are good to go, in my humble opinion.

cormack12

Gold Member
Unfortunately you will have to use voice if wanting to say anything substantial on a phone for forums. Also when did auto correct become auto-incorrect?

womfalcs3

Banned
I have the internet browsers on my phone and laptop sync'ed up. It makes browsing on my phone easier; never having to input passwords to login; shared history so I can just type the first letter of any website I frequent.

Whilst workable it's a vastly compromised experience when composing a response to a post on Neogaf.
Revisiting a post to edit it (ie: correcting broken sentences and autocorrects) is rarely worth the effort.

Also - what @hariseldon said. Great for consumption, bad for production.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately you will have to use voice if wanting to say anything substantial on a phone for forums. Also when did auto correct become auto-incorrect?

That's even worse. Siri very rarely gets what I say right. It has a weird habit of cutting off half the sentence - I'll say something and the text will appear, albeit half of it wrong, then half the sentence just disappears when I stop. Voice recognition is a bag of turds. Anyway I prefer to write as for longer posts I often spend time working on the wording, rewriting bits, tweaking phrasing, etc. You can't really do that with voice, that's more of a stream of consciousness.

H4ze

I am only writing here while using it on a PC/Laptop, never with my phone, shit is just too annoying to use.

Virex

Banned
That's even worse. Siri very rarely gets what I say right. It has a weird habit of cutting off half the sentence - I'll say something and the text will appear, albeit half of it wrong, then half the sentence just disappears when I stop. Voice recognition is a bag of turds. Anyway I prefer to write as for longer posts I often spend time working on the wording, rewriting bits, tweaking phrasing, etc. You can't really do that with voice, that's more of a stream of consciousness.
Well Siri is a woman after all.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I use my tablet to browse. Sometimes I type using a bluetooth kb.
I have a couple different ones.
They occasionally have some issues, but they aren't that bad.
I would definitely prefer to use them if I was typing posts on mobile.

M1chl

Well due to memory loss, I have hard time with this, due to my harsh Czech accent. Before that I spoke, that people told me, I have zero accent, but well few days in coma basically wipe that knowledge out. I even kinda have to re-learn English. Not from scratch, but a lot of it... Shit happens.

M1chl

@slugbahr Does it have a stand for phone, because I need to see on the screen. But I think that second one could work, I guess : ) Thanks!

M1chl

There is very hard for me to do swipes, since that surgery (I probably need to create PSA about drinking too much, as part of my service here) I have terrible hand shakes, so I would write exactly zero fucking nothing. SwiftKey obviously support that, but it's unusable for me.

Ahh finally my mechanical keyboard, such bliss.

highrider

Banned
I’m just the opposite, can’t stand keyboards and laptops. Although to be fair, I’m not a deep thinker, or particularly productive online lol.

M1chl

I’m just the opposite, can’t stand keyboards and laptops. Although to be fair, I’m not a deep thinker, or particularly productive online lol.
What's the issue with them for you, there is no feedback on touch screen, you have to look at that and it's just not intuitive.

xrnzaaas

Yep, I have a decent sized phone and small fingers, but I still don't like posting anything. Guess I learned to use only a physical keyboard. I still browse a lot though, that's not an issue.

Saber

Yeah, pretty much.

Most of times I got a problem to write or simply answer. On those ocasions, my laptop is a better option.

On a sidenote I don't use Google Chrome...that thing is terrible on my phone. I use another broswer that uses chromium.

DESTROYA

Real world problems 2020. ...:/

If it’s that big a problem why not just get a bigger device like a tablet, you can get a cheap ass Amazon Fire tablet for under $100 and give you more screen real estate.
Or if you want to go nuts a base Apple iPad that would cost you a bit more but offers a great screen experience.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
@slugbahr Does it have a stand for phone, because I need to see on the screen. But I think that second one could work, I guess : ) Thanks!
No. No stand. I have my S9 in a wallet case that can turn into a stand (not very strong though).
Or get a mini portable stand from a variety store/ebay/etc

M1chl

Real world problems 2020. ...:/

If it’s that big a problem why not just get a bigger device like a tablet, you can get a cheap ass Amazon Fire tablet for under $100 and give you more screen real estate.
Or if you want to go nuts a base Apple iPad that would cost you a bit more but offers a great screen experience.
It does not fit in my pocket tho. That's the problem.

99% of internet posting and browsing is done from my phone, I love it. Galaxy Note 9, the thing is a beast.
Good for you : )

My phone auto corrects everything in Swedish so typing a sentence on GAF is seven hells of skullfuckery.
Could you not have something like Swift Key, where you swipe on the spacebar and it switch to different language? I do that, but I have auto-correct on off, because in Czech i want to write without...how is it called....diacritics and that is not possible with auto-correct.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Also, to clarify, that middle one is actually tablet size.

M1chl

Also, to clarify, that middle one is actually tablet size.
Well Amazon is not in here anyway....well it is, but you have to order from Amazon.com and pay import fees, so fuck that...not sure why I cannot order some stuff from Amazon.de, since their big warehouse is like 50km from border with my country. Anyway would be nice if there was some wallet case, like you've mentioned with keyboard in there.

highrider

Banned
What's the issue with them for you, there is no feedback on touch screen, you have to look at that and it's just not intuitive.
I can’t actually say, I just only ever use a laptop when I’m doing a document or something which is rare ( I paint cars for a living lol ).

M1chl

Or you can carry it in your hands :/
Shocking I know but it’s not really that hard.
Giving the shakes I have now normally, it seems to impossible without droping it.

I can’t actually say, I just only ever use a laptop when I’m doing a document or something which is rare ( I paint cars for a living lol ).
Fair enough, but I am not sure what it has to do with you painting cars, tho : )

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Could you not have something like Swift Key, where you swipe on the spacebar and it switch to different language? I do that, but I have auto-correct on off, because in Czech i want to write without...how is it called....diacritics and that is not possible with auto-correct.

I didn't know you could do that. I'm a noob when it comes to phones. Much easier now. Thanks.

Breakage

Yeah, I'm not fond of it. I do most of my browsing on a tablet, which obviously has a bigger screen, but I still think browsing the web on a laptop or PC can't be beaten.

Top Bottom