• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone been watching the absolutely bizarre new ultra-woke version of Survivor?

Bragr

Banned
Two seasons ago, Survivor decided to change and become more inclusive, which is fine, but they have been going about it in the weirdest way and it's wrecked the show.

- The word "guys" is banned. (in case someone doesn't identify as a guy)
- Half the cast MUST be non-white.
- LGBT must be heavily represented.

That means, you always have 3 or 4 gay/transgendered folks, and every cast member has to be ultra-supportive about women and LGBT rights, unless, they won't be cast. So basically, all the women will only support other women, and half the guys are LGBT that only support women or other LGBT.

The men were nicknamed the "the misogyny alliance" and they make ape sounds when they talk about guys. Meaning, that if you are a straight guy, you are fucked up the creek.

What happens then, is that the jury always goes into this "we gotta support the women and LGBT movement" when they vote, so there have been 2 seasons now, where most of the jury declare they will vote for women and minorities over others. The winners have done nothing the entire season but win with clean sweeps, because they sit next to men at the end, who barely get votes, no matter how good they have played.

I don't know what I am watching, or why.

RAÏSanÏa

I haven't watched a season since Boston Rob's first appearance. Nothing offensive then, just moved on from it. But it's a funny co-incidence that you mention the show today as I woke up this morning thinking about it and wondering what became of it then forgot about it.

The first winner was a gay nudist who sort of imposed himself. Legacy.

Hari Seldon

Honestly I didn’t know survivor was still a thing. But any of these type of shows are completely unwatchable. If network shows were real life then like 50% of the population would be lgtbqbbq. It is never ending relentless propaganda.

Rival

Gold Member
Survivor and Big Brother are so blatantly trying to show inclusiveness that it comes off as being parody and they go out of their way to try to force “teachable” wokeness moments that it all feels extremely phony. It’s great include minorities, gays, whatever it’s fine. Just play the damn game.

Kagey K

Banned
Two seasons ago, Survivor decided to change and become more inclusive, which is fine, but they have been going about it in the weirdest way and it's wrecked the show.

That means, you always have 3 or 4 gay/transgendered folks, and every cast member has to be ultra-supportive about women and LGBT rights, unless, they won't be cast. So basically, all the women will only support other women, and half the guys are LGBT that only support women or other LGBT.

The men were nicknamed the "the misogyny alliance" and they make ape sounds when they talk about guys. Meaning, that if you are a straight guy, you are fucked up the creek.

What happens then, is that the jury always goes into this "we gotta support the women and LGBT movement" when they vote, so there have been 2 seasons now, where most of the jury declare they will vote for women and minorities over others. The winners have done nothing the entire season but win with clean sweeps, because they sit next to men at the end, who barely get votes, no matter how good they have played.

I stopped watching 2 seasons ago, right on the episode where Jeff had a discussion with the cast about whether or not it was OK for him to say "Come on in Guys" at the start of a challenge.

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

GymWolf

Why the hell do you watch this stuff??

This shit make sound the italian trash version of survivors like something worth a watch.

Bragr

Banned
Why the hell do you watch this stuff??

This shit make sound the italian trash version of survivors like something worth a watch.
I have OCD about some of these shows, Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch, Survivor, I have watched them since the beginning, and it feels wrong to stop watching.

Bragr

Banned
Yeah but you have to learn to let this shit go, i fail to understand how someone who has no mental problems can enjoy this stuff.
It was good early on, and Australian Survivor is great.

For me, it needs to be beyond terrible to stop watching, normal terrible isn't enough, it needs to be like Stranger Things Season 2, or Star Trek Picard kind of terrible, where you revolt from the TV.

AJUMP23

I don't watch many reality shows, but if they brought back the Apprentice with Trump I would tune in.

nkarafo

That's your mistake though. That you are watching it. And now you are talking about it. I didn't know this woke version existed but now i do, thanks to you. You probably increased their audience by a couple of people, just by making this thread.

Ignore their existence people. Let them disappear into obscurity.

GymWolf

It was good early on, and Australian Survivor is great.

For me, it needs to be beyond terrible to stop watching, normal terrible isn't enough, it needs to be like Stranger Things Season 2, or Star Trek Picard kind of terrible, where you revolt from the TV.
Dude, what you wrote looks at "beyond terrible" from the rearview mirror, we are way past that.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I could never get into "Reality Television" as it's always so scripted. I read the book on the Skinwalker Ranch and absolutely loved it but I can't get myself to watch that TV show because it all seems so phony even if the phenomenon is real.

I just skipped the reality television and go right to fiction. Reality TV is fiction but I'd rather just go straight to the actual fiction. So for me, it's just movies and TV series.

I know so many people who like reality television though. Every time I walk in their place they'll have reality TV on and I just can't for the life of me understand it. It's kind of boring and the melodrama is so annoying and cringey.

To each their own I guess.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Dude, what you wrote looks at "beyond terrible" from the rearview mirror, we are way past that.
Well, the problem is that the normal episodes of creating alliances and stuff are still somewhat interesting. It's just the votes and who wins that's beyond terrible.

Bragr

Banned
Season 42? Dufuq?

What was the year that this originally came out?
Pretty sure it was 2000 or 2001.

They found a way to make cost-effective seasons (cheap locations and cheap labor), and are churning out 2 seasons a year. They only film on the same beach over and over now because it's probably 10 bucks to rent for a month.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Pretty sure it was 2000 or 2001.

They found a way to make cost-effective seasons (cheap locations and cheap labor), and are churning out 2 seasons a year. They only film on the same beach over and over now because it's probably 10 bucks to rent for a month.
Okay I figured it was about two seasons a year.

If it were one season a year this thing would have been out in the 70s or early 80s and I sure as heck don't remember Survivor in the early eighties.

Mossybrew

I haven't watched a season since Boston Rob's first appearance.

Yeah you know I think that's the last season I watched too. The show was definitely interesting at first, but like anything it runs its course and gets old. Amazing how many years the show has continued long after I tuned out.

Locutus

If you don't like it then it must be shit. Thanks for stopping by to arbitrate what we should enjoy. Is there a list somewhere of media you have approved or should we just consult you individually?

Well, the problem is that the normal episodes of creating alliances and stuff are still somewhat interesting. It's just the votes and who wins that's beyond terrible.
My friend is obsessed with the show. Like, he watches every season with a large group and they have brackets and bet money on who wins with winner takes all. They are so into it, people have been kicked from the group for cheating (like, somehow getting insider information on who gets eliminated). This has been going on for all 42 seasons.

If what you're saying is true I wonder if it's affected his game. It's gonna make his day when I actually ask him to talk about Survivor.

No worries, when it comes time to actually have to survive something. Well, you get the idea.

Kagey K

Banned
My friend is obsessed with the show. Like, he watches every season with a large group and they have brackets and bet money on who wins with winner takes all. They are so into it, people have been kicked from the group for cheating (like, somehow getting insider information on who gets eliminated). This has been going on for all 42 seasons.

If what you're saying is true I wonder if it's affected his game. It's gonna make his day when I actually ask him to talk about Survivor.
Just bet on the Canadian right from the start. We have only been allowed in the last 2 seasons and won both of them. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

GymWolf

If you don't like it then it must be shit. Thanks for stopping by to arbitrate what we should enjoy. Is there a list somewhere of media you have approved or should we just consult you individually?
Oh cmon dude, have you read the op? how is that ok in any shape or form?

Reallink

Ratings haven't really been affected so it seems the majority of people enjoy the new inclusive language and diverse cast.

Catphish

I think I watched one episode from the first season of that shitscapade like 20 years ago, and never again.

I’m now going to try watching -1 episodes to cleanse my soul.

spawn

I have not watched any TV for a long time and I'm much happier due to it. The last bit of TV I watched recently was the Super Bowl and every commercial was cringe shit. Every commercial was an ad for crypto or NFT.

lem0n

Not to be that guy, but who seriously watches cable anymore? Maybe it's me that's missing out though, that new gay Survivor sounds hilarious

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'd purposefully get thrown off the show, when the first challenge begins and I whip out my cock and balls and yell "Woo! Let's do it guys!".

Seriously that sounds awful though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Started to lose interest in the American version a few years ago when they added the stupid ass fire making challenge at final 4 and changed the jury format. Thank god Australia and South Africa both put on much better versions of the show.

It should also be noted that the word guys is not banned. Jeff just cut it from his greeting when the tribes are walking into a challenge.

Last edited:

Jennings

It's good to see a show trying to switch things up during its 42nd season. The only issue here is that it took them 42 seasons to figure out how problematic the first 40 seasons were and to finally relent and progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom