• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any beer homebrewers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a homebrewing thread, but it kinda turned into a ghost town. A few folks chat about it in the beer thread once in a while.

I think I do a pretty respectable job of it these days. Won first and second place in the homebrew competition at the fair this year.

I've always wanted to get into this, but all I really enjoy are lambics and flanders red sours, two classes of beers that are as I understand it miserable to produce on your own.
They're doable, but yeah, they're some of the more in depth style out there and definitely not where I'd direct someone to start. Other sour styles aren't quite as tough, but I'd still recommend learning some solid clean brewing practices first.

I've been homebrewing for about 5-6 years now and I love it!

Save loads of money, make the beer stronger in alcohol and taste.

I've actually just started making my own wine as well. For the amount of wine you get vs. the price you pay, it's fantastic. The beer usually goes fast since it's just beer. But I have like 50 bottles of wine that I am slowly going through from the past couple years. Occasionally giving some to friends, family, neighbors. I think that I'll skip making wine this year though and just stick to beer. I probably have a drink every couple days on average. I dunno, some weeks I will have a drink every night. Then I'll go a couple weeks without a sip of alcohol and I haven't been drunk in years so I've already got more than enough.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well it's brew day. I've not done it all winter and this is my first brew this year. I use the BIAB (brew in the bag) method and I'm doing a light citra pal ale. Hopefully brewed to 19ltrs.

Here is the home made barrel.
m2dBFOr.jpg

It's got a kettle heater element and some tap that I made from plumbing parts. I also added a microwave grill thing to stop the bag burning the element.
6VmYBl8.jpg

The bag in the barrel
NZtTVxj.jpg

Held on with a cheap bungie cord
Up6m27q.jpg

This is my grain and my hop additions.
PAoF91T.jpg

Now I have to heat the water to 75c.

fanboi

Banned
Nice! Keep us posted!

EDIT: Visited a larger micro brewery here in Sweden yesterday, was looking to buy their bottling and capping line... 3000 bottles per hour :>

Embearded

I am starting next month with an IPA kit. I bought the equipment in June but it was too hot to brew and it still is.
I am starting with a simple kit, only to see how it goes and if i do all the cleaning right.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I am starting next month with an IPA kit. I bought the equipment in June but it was too hot to brew and it still is.
I am starting with a simple kit, only to see how it goes and if i do all the cleaning right.

Is that a can kit?

And what are you doing about cleaning/sanitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom