• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem gameplay trailer. [EA/Bioware, PC/XB1/PS4, Fall 2018]

jengo

After The Division, I am highly skeptical of how these types of games are shown before release. It tells me all the things I want to hear, shows me titillating scenes full of multiplayer promise, but I really don't know if it'll deliver based on such a moon-shot trailer.

I want it, but I am not convinced yet.

dc89

Destiny is a great game but this is what it should have been in terms of the open world, if it is a true open world that is.
Looks incredible.

vlcsnap-2017-06-12-00cosn9.jpg

Can you go just straight ahead and land down there on the river bank -> SW corner of the screenshot?

If not and you hit an invisible wall and have to go left as they did in the video then it's just another bullshit like Destiny.

If we look at the faraway LOD, everything looks so barren and even flat.

So yes, that's the compromise of getting the game as good as it is.

I'm on #TeamReal

People get hyped way too easily.

After all the shit you've heard about Bioware having troubles with Frostbite, all the years of bullshots from this company alone, people wills till be fooled.

It was just a sequence of pre-scripted events with pre-scripted "these people are friends for real" dialogue that's so painfully contrived that i'm surprised people even put up with it.

This was this E3's The Division trailer, and it wasn't even as well done. At least Ubisoft is good at making believable promises that are blatant lies.

It's simulated gamer chatter that won't be in the actual game... unless you're actually chatting with gamers in real life.

Here's another thing: Knowing that, why is the person in first person in the video speaking to the NPC as if they were actually there?

"Freelancer!"

"Praxley"

"Unbelievable" etc.

Then later she's talking about hoping to get certain randomized loot...very weird mix. Or was that supposed to be two different voice actors? Like the actual character she had, and then the player herself?

tci

Ah, you've gone hands-on then? What were your impressions?
You can clearly see it is in-engine. Animation, the assets, lightning.

The demonstration is from a very limited portion of the game, making it more "finished" than it is. So the fall 2018 makes sense. The core stuff seems to be finished though.

It might not look like this in the final product. But it also can look even better. There is nothing special about the visuals from the demo that Frostbite can't already do.

Not

Banned
It's simulated gamer chatter that won't be in the actual game... unless you're actually chatting with gamers in real life.

Damn, really? I was hoping it was actual dialogue. Like the world around them is a simulation or something, or way more boring than the suits make it seem (like all the jungle and monsters and doodads are AR) and exploring the digitally-augmented world is like playing a super futuristic online game.

Pokémon Go taken to its hyper extreme.

stoff

I'm getting some serious Xenoblade X vibes. Might be just the flying around in a Mech Suit part.
Not sure if thats a good thing, yet.

Skux

Then later she's talking about hoping to get certain randomized loot...very weird mix. Or was that supposed to be two different voice actors? Like the actual character she had, and then the player herself?

From what I can tell, the voices of the mission briefing are from in-universe character. When the player starts on the mission, that's when it switches to gamer chatter (they make references to XP and hoping for good loot). I think the voice actor is different too but it's hard to tell.

Not

Banned
From what I can tell, the voices of the mission briefing are from in-universe character. When the player starts on the mission, that's when it switches to gamer chatter (they make references to XP and hoping for good loot). I think the voice actor is different too but it's hard to tell.

Dude I was so hyped for an AR thing to be built into the plot. It would be so cool to have "gamer" language expand over time to exploring actual planets in the future. IDK.

Personally, it was the most grounded realistic looking sci-fi setting that I've seen in a game so far outside of Star Citizen. I mean, it looked like more of a believable future-with-giant-robots and such than most others with how non complex but yet intricate at the same time the mechs and tech where. Especially the larger ones looking more chunky and rugged.

Then there is the jungle that was packed so dense with various types of fauna and spread and placed in such a realistic way that it really sold it.

And the refuge city/village that we saw really gave off a believable vibe because of how lived in and non pristine it looked. I mean, the placement of the NPC's helped a lot.

In fact, walking, chatting and lively NPC's going about their business and a world filled with fauna and smaller critters that make it feel alive is what I have been saying from the beginning that Destiny desperately needs.

It looks like Anthem may beat them to the punch.

(I haven't played Destiny since Vault of glass so things may have already changed but it didn't look like it from the recent footage.)

jettpack

Personally, it was the most grounded realistic looking sci-fi setting that I've seen in a game so far outside of Star Citizen. I mean, it looked like more of a believable future-with-giant-robots and such than most others with how non complex but yet intricate at the same time the mechs and tech where. Especially the larger ones looking more chunky and rugged.

Then there is the jungle that was packed so dense with various types of fauna and spread and placed in such a realistic way that it really sold it.

And the refuge city/village that we saw really gave off a believable vibe because of how lived in and non pristine it looked. I mean, the placement of the NPC's helped a lot.

In fact, walking, chatting and lively NPC's going about their business and a world filled with fauna and smaller critters that make it feel alive is what I have been saying from the beginning that Destiny desperately needs.

It looks like Anthem may beat them to the punch.

(I haven't played Destiny since Vault of glass so things may have already changed but it didn't look like it from the recent footage.)
That sort of near future mech aesthetic is pretty generic these days. If you go in artstation that shit is generic as hell. Very very very derivative.

lipmUMj.jpg

Monolith soft, you jelly?
Yeaaaah, also section 8. Snore

Yukinari

Yeah the fake gamer talking that these companies love to interject completely kills the mood.

Also i really doubt most of this stuff will be in the final game, at least visually.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Well, there's a world I'd love to truly explore. Hope they let us do just that. And echoing the curiosity about a narrative, without a story this will just be something like The Division for me I'm afraid: good for a 40-50 hours of playing with friends, then tossed aside. Solid worldbuilding and a intriguing story could make it something so much more.

Joco

I hope for Anthem (and Destiny 2 for that matter) that you can use your characters on multiple platforms. I'd probably prefer to play this on PS4 but my brother will be on PC. Not holding my breath but it'd be cool if you could resume whatever progress you had made on one platform and resume it on another. Any word on this?

That sort of near future mech aesthetic is pretty generic these days. If you go in artstation that shit is generic as hell. Very very very derivative.

How many games have done this before or look like this?

Realism is going to be generic for the most part... What matters to me is how it all comes together to create a cohesive experience by being creative and clever with the small details.

I don't always want extreme escapism from reality. I loved the subtle mix of tech shown in movies like District 9 and Edge of tomorrow whether it is generic or not.

I like the aesthetic a lot and really can't recall seeing much of anything like it in gaming anyway. I like how grounded it seems and for me that sells the immersion much easier.

Genio88

It looks awesome and i got that Zelda BOTW vibe a bit since it looks like you have to explore this big unknown world with not much icons or things telling you what to do or where to go, just you and your friend online discovering and shooting stuff in a well desined enviroment......fall 2018 though, still over a year to go, so i'm just gonna forget about it and enjoy the other games until then

Fredrik

Eh, hard pass then.
Geoff interviewed Bioware after the show and asked if you could play it by yourself, the answer was clear, you can play through it from beginning to end all alone. They said that they just wanted to give you the choice to play it however you want to play it. By yourself or with friends, it's your choice.

Geoff interviewed Bioware after the show and asked if you could play it by yourself, the answer was clear, you can play through it from beginning to end all alone. They said that they just wanted to give you the choice to play it however you want to play it. By yourself or with friends, it's your choice.

Well shit, will probably buy then. Thank you Lord Geoff.

Tecnniqe

Banned
👍

I haven't played Destiny, but that sounds like Borderlands and The Division.

Yes, you can finish the game solo if you want in this kind of games. But your journey doesn't stop at the end of the story.

But... is it even a RPG?

He was asking if he could play as a RPG...

Top Bottom