• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem gameplay trailer. [EA/Bioware, PC/XB1/PS4, Fall 2018]

aravuus

Alright. If the world is interesting to explore with lots of lore and stuff to uncover, I'm in. Otherwise I can't say I'm that excited.

Peterc

The only one worthy as gfx for the xbox1x.

Compare this to the other ones, why do this one was the only they showed what the xbox1x could do?

This makes me wonder:

- Can this game be runned on xbox one?
- Will developers going to put effort into it to support it?

- I think like ps4k, they just will upgrade the res/framerate for 99% of the games rather to make games look like that.

Thats a concern that I have.

Also looking to most games they showed, beside this one the models just looked awefull. EA did a great job for this one.

Honestly, this is probably the first time I've ever been this skeptical about a games visuals. Like this looks too good.

And especially from all the leaked information put out of Bioware (montreal, not sure if it also counts for edmonton) struggled with frostbite that this game was produced.

I know frostbite is an incredible engine with how good Battlefront 2 looks, but I am so skeptical on this after ME:A.

I know... different teams, but still heavily skeptical.

Scepticism is good! They've got a long time to go until launch, so hopefully they can explain the witchcraft that went into this. Personally, I'm sceptical about the world size. It's exactly what I wanted from Destiny, and the bastards at Bungie showed off those skyboxes of the Cosmodrome in a gameplay reveal and flat out lied about you being able to go anywhere you could see, so I want to know exactly what the restraints are in this game before I buy in. How big are we talking? It can't be the entire planet, right? How much of the below image is explorable? Just the full detail rocks up to the river, or is that the LOD system keeping everything else beyond that lower quality? Maybe we can get to the first "island" in the distance? Surely not all the way to the horizon and beyond? I want to believe...

vlcsnap-2017-06-12-00cosn9.jpg

This looked amazing. I really hope it turns out great. Best visuals I've seen in a while. Can't wait to know more. Frostbite engine is a monster.

I was worried we wouldn't get a followup to Xenoblade X but it's cool that Nintendo got Bioware to do it while Monolith Soft does Xenoblade 2.

Renekton

Thats not from the gameplay trailer.

Its from the reveal diary of ME:A at E3.
Yeah, the snippets of gameplay in the ME:A reveal definitely looked more impressive than the final game.
Pretty much this. Andromeda also looked good the years before it actually came out and that got a downgrade.
Most official trailers were more or as underwhelming compared to the game as of now, most notably the Kadara Port scene which spawned countless Sarah memes.

The real noticeable downgrade is the leaked scene not shown to public.

Trailer versus release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSmkBu4Xxg

(Edit)

jryeje29

Awesome looking cant wait to hear more and get my hands on it. I had zero concerns or complaints about anything they showed.

Mutombo

This looks like next-gen to me. Otherwise we've got an inevitable downgrade incoming. Looks gorgeous, something that i'd like to play, but not something that I'll end up loving? A bit too safe for that, maybe.

VAD

That was really awesome and promising. The voice acted player chat is a weird thing to do. But I'm hyped, congratulations Bioware.

Most official trailers were more or as underwhelming compared to the game as of now, most notably the Kadara Port scene which spawned countless Sarah memes.

The real noticeable downgrade is the leaked scene not shown to public.

Trailer versus release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSmkBu4Xxg

(Edit)

Hmm, the footage from the second trailer, starting 1:38, has stuff that looks more impressive than in the final game to me See Here. But yeah, overall, the problem with Andromeda wasn't the environmental visuals.

Anyway, I really hope the game looks this good, because it is stunning visually.

It looks so bland, like destiny, titanfall and Iron Man fell into a blender. I mean flying through the sky like fucking Iron Man looked dope but attached to the shared world environment just doesn't do it for me.

Also they could make this game look the great yet the poor scheduling, an internal dev war, understaffed and plus 1000 other problems led ME:A to launch like it did made me a bit salty. Like they left Mass Effect to die so this thing could move forward?

I will have to keep my eye on it but I'm not quite into just yet.

Can you go just straight ahead and land down there on the river bank -> SW corner of the screenshot?

If not and you hit an invisible wall and have to go left as they did in the video then it's just another bullshit like Destiny.

Shoeless

Now this might get my money instead of Destiny 2.

You could try both. Destiny 2 comes out this September. This is slated for a fall 2018 release, but the way things go, they'll likely announce a delay at some point and it'll be out spring 2019.

jdstorm

Banned
That was really awesome and promising. The voice acted player chat is a weird thing to do. But I'm hyped, congratulations Bioware.

Its possible (fingers crossed) that its a hero shooter similar to borderlands where each player is a defined character. That was basically the dream last gen right? To play Mass Effect as Shepard with 2 friends joining in to play as Garrus and Tali (or Liara) in a co op mode.

Hopefully Anthem is doing that.

tci

You could try both. Destiny 2 comes out this September. This is slated for a fall 2018 release, but the way things go, they'll likely announce a delay at some point and it'll be out spring 2019.
If it can deliver what Destiny promised I can wait. Destiny 2 didn't really show anything special compared to the original. Sure the gameplay is fantastic, but it was lacking at everything else.

I am not sold on Anthem yet, but it looks like what Destiny promised when it was revealed. Will stay focused on this for the foreseeable future.

Bl@de

I'm glad I have a 1080 Ti. This game will be a new benchmark for Frostbite.

EDIT: I also hope that you can play the game alone and that the story is interesting enough. Most MMO-like games suffer in this regard. I love co-op but I don't have a lot of time for it and on top of that I prefer local co-op.

katsais

Love Destiny....I have more than 3,000 hours logged in. However, Destiny 2 looks a bit underwhelming. Anthem looks like a generational leap...keyword, "looks".

If the game plays as good as it looks, this game is a serious Destiny killer or it will raise the bar for MMO/RPG/FPS games.

tribal24

Banned
Yeah the visuals look awesome reminds me of horizon, I know a downgrade is coming across the board. Wonder how all versions will look.

jettpack

I'm sorry, the aesthetic was so generic. It's incredibly shiny and technically impressive but those mech suits are generic as fuck. I hope it's good, but they didn't sell me on their world.

I'm sorry, the aesthetic was so generic. It's incredibly shiny and technically impressive but those mech suits are generic as fuck. I hope it's good, but they didn't sell me on their world.

Give me some good creature designs at least. That big jungle open world: have beasts in the tree throwing shit at you or something exciting

All the grey things so far leave a lot to be desired. Why would a giant gray thing be in a green jungle? Rhinos and elephants live in the plains!

CEJames

Xenoblade Chronicles X but a shooter.

Fuck it, sounds good.

This. So much.

It gave me a more graphical powerhouse Xenoblade Chronicles X vibe the moment he leaped from the city out into the wild and flew.

It. Was. Gorgeous,

Can you go just straight ahead and land down there on the river bank -> SW corner of the screenshot?

If not and you hit an invisible wall and have to go left as they did in the video then it's just another bullshit like Destiny.

Yeah, I'll give you that. Agreed. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. I'd love more gameplay reveals.

Zemm

It's The Division set in Destiny land and doesn't even remotely hint at any of BioWare's strongest aspects.

Absolutely stunned that people are falling for this fake player comms, drop-in multiplayer focused pseudo-RPG bullshit again.

I agree. I thought it looked a mess of 'what are the cool games doing nowadays' and they've just taken bits from everything. Yet I didn't see anything that made previous Bioware RPGs good. It looks pretty (for now) though.

Loginius

How so? Dont remember them saying you can go there.
In fact Id be surprised if you could.

For the "it won't look like that crowd," it does and probably will come release on Xbox One X. I expect it to look as good on Pro, just at a lower resolution.

How so? Dont remember them saying you can go there.
In fact Id be surprised if you could.

Exactly. The entire issue with Destiny for me was them overpromising. So no, this wouldn't be the same if you couldn't go there.

For the "it won't look like that crowd," it does and probably will come release on Xbox One X. I expect it to look as good on Pro, just at a lower resolution.

Yo! Are you enjoying yourself mate?

Are they letting anyone play any games on the X?

Not

Banned
Wait hold on hold the phone this looks awesome. Talking to NPCs in real time? With that level of animation? This may take the crown from Horizon if they actually pull it off.

jettpack

Give me some good creature designs at least. That big jungle open world: have beasts in the tree throwing shit at you or something exciting

All the grey things so far leave a lot to be desired. Why would a giant gray thing be in a green jungle? Rhinos and elephants live in the plains!
Yeah, Its kinda early for me to judge the creature stuff cause we saw so little. I'm just kinda bored with the mech design and the overall aesthetic of the world. It just felt a little played out. Like a bunch of concept artists chased a bunch of threads without having a top down aesthetic Vision. Fairly genetic slum future plus Lush avatar shit. And that giant robot beast of burden on the town, like wtf. Seemed like a lot of shallow spectacle. Technically it was insanely impressive, but I was just so bored... Idk

Top Bottom