• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcements of the 2012 Nobel Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Six decades of peace in western Europe is pretty remarkable if you study our history.

No, I know (I'm German). And I love Europe and the way it's getting more and more open. In some moments I feel more 'European' than German.
And yes, that's partly due to the EU.

But it's not like the EU was created for unselfish reasons by the stronger countries. We Germans benefitted a lot. I'm not sure such an organization as a whole should be awarded this prize. But I think the committee over the past years has cared more about the implications of giving the prize than the actual track record of the candidates (same with Gore and Obama). It's about the message. And I'm fine with it, I guess.

Shiggy

Remarkable decision. Sad to see that most people only see the negatives of the EU nowadays instead of the positives...

Jb

But it's not like the EU was created for unselfish reasons by the stronger countries. We Germans benefitted a lot. I'm not sure such an organization as a whole should be awarded this prize.

But it was. That's what Robert Schumann did in 1950 when he created the ECSC. The coal part of it was just an excuse to create an institution that would force Germany and France to work hand in hand.

And when you consider the centuries of war Europe lived through prior to the ECSC, I'd say the UE is one of the most succesful act of ingeneered peace in human history.

GCX

But it's not like the EU was created for unselfish reasons by the stronger countries. We Germans benefitted a lot. I'm not sure such an organization as a whole should be awarded this prize.
Actually one of the core ideas behind the foundation of ECSC (which later transformed into EU) was to create such strong economical bonds between the member countries that there would be no sense in going into war again. The reasons weren't ENTIRELY unselfish but it has worked and there has been no war.

Forkball

london-riots-1.jpg

Nobel prize please

kottila

Did EU fuck up all the Southern European countries or was it its own governments, its finance sectors and the people themselves?

The EU? :lol There had be a deadlock on some real actual people, right? How ridiculous: a bureaucratic institution whose sole tangible achievement - unified currency - is on paper-thin ice because they forgot to include the sane element of a federal monetary authority at launch gets the golden tiara of peace? Prestige by itself won't keeping the credit lanes of the euro zone stable, but I suppose the Nobel committee did their bit.

Actually one of the core ideas behind the foundation of ECSC (which later transformed into EU) was to create such strong economical bonds between the member countries that there would be no sense in going into war again. The reasons weren't ENTIRELY unselfish but it has worked and there has been no war.

There's definitely some noble symbolic and perceptional juice in the EU project but surely that's praising the symptom as the cause? I don't think the EU can claim the large-scale trend of economic interdependence within the neoliberal era as a thing of its own conception. Yes, it's made those bonds clearer and aided the export of liberal hegemony to Eastern and Southern Europe, but the award of the Nobel Peace Prize feels a bit obnoxious considering the worth of the recipients that have come before.

GCX

a bureaucratic institution whose sole tangible achievement - unified currency - is on paper-thin ice because they forgot to include the sane element of a federal monetary authority at launch gets the golden tiara of peace?
You clearly know nothing about EU if you think Euro is its sole tangible achievement.

Here are two hints: Free market and open borders.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Anyone who hates upon the EU receiving the Peace Prize needs to take a history lesson. The scariest thing is knowing that there are some posters here who were born when Germany was divided and visiting the Baltics was considered a sign of insanity.

Steelrain

I think about a year from now the hilarity of the EU getting the Nobel Peace Prize will be as apparent as Obama getting it is now.

Loona

Did EU fuck up all the Southern European countries or was it its own governments, its finance sectors and the people themselves?

I'd say the governments and finance sectors - I certainly didn't ask my government to spend money building stadiums that barely get any use nowadays (I don't even like football, and here in Portugal "sports" and "football" are almost interchangeable terms) or making ruinous investments that would indebt whole generations. Everytime I voted it was for guys that didn't make it to the government, doesn't seem reasonable to be punished for that...

If the Nobel prize money is used to patch up some debts that'd be nice, even if it's a drop in the ocean.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think about a year from now the hilarity of the EU getting the Nobel Peace Prize will be as apparent as Obama getting it is now.

Obama was a shoe-in. The fact that Europe is where it is today when you consider its history is beyond belief. If certain populations started to wake up to themselves and stopped pointing fingers in the wrong direction then a united European federation would not be unheard of and escape hushed lips. The contrast is huge when you consider the past 100 years of European history, let alone 400-500 years.

I'm sure if I was born in Brest or Helsinki or Frankfurt or Malaga or Ancona then I'd be proud as fuck to be "European" right now considering the stupidly novel and extremely hostile nature of my nation's history - let alone my continent's history.

Milchjon

Most of the problems were their own. Greece has been a mess, for instance. But some stuff, like the Euro, certainly didn't make it easier for them to get out of their hole. Or forcing them to fulfill their arms contracts with German companies.

_Xenon_

Banned
The Norwegian Nobel Committee just can't get their heads out of their asses. High class propaganda machine is what it is.

You clearly know nothing about EU if you think Euro is its sole tangible achievement.

Touche. On a certain level, currency itself is no tangible item. You wily fox.

Here are two hints: Free market and open borders.

Again, praising a symptom of the cause. I'm confident free trade agreements would have sprung up even without the apparatus of the treaty-based EU federation over the past few decades. It seems to me like most of the key decisions in Europe don't originate within the legislative bodies of the EU but rather through the deliberation of an unofficial inter-governmental federation of Western European nations (i.e. Germany, France) anyway. I'm not quibbling about the symbolic power or the merit of the EU project at all, but this award just seems misplaced, given the Peace Prize usually seeks to recognize direct actors of peace. Perhaps I'm being didactic but the EU is a bit too indirect for my taste.

History will bear the Obama award as evidence of just how frustrated the Bush years made everyone and what can happen when you make an emotional decision. He's been a good president given the circumstances he entered into, but not exactly a humanitarian of the stature of past recipients. That's just the nature of the beast - it should be difficult for state leaders to receive the Peace Prize, given they are tasked primarily with the self-interest of their citizens.

Jb

I'm not quibbling about the symbolic power or the merit of the EU project at all, but this award just seems misplaced, given the Peace Prize usually seeks to recognize direct actors of peace. Perhaps I'm being didactic but the EU is a bit too indirect for my taste.

The founding fathers are all dead. Besides, it's been a decades long process during which dozens of politicians worked together to build it, it wouldn't make much sense to give the prize to individuals. It's also not the first time entities rather than persons received the prize (IAEA, IPCC, UN, ICBL, IPPNW, ...). Nothing new here.

Opens up the possibility for the UN, Earth, You, and Nobel Prize Committee to win in the future.

Already happened, do your research.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I can almost hear the screams of anguish from Middle England over the Peace Prize.

[edit]And, ofc, the howls of jealousy from across the pond.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's easy to make jokes about this, and I've made one or two myself.

But in the wider picture, it's well deserved really. I love the basic ideas of the EU.

ektoll

I find the award well deserved. It's the Nobel for the Peace, not an award for let's say, economics. The EU had/has a lot of problems, but if one thing was done right, it's the peace between the nations.

I'm living in Strasbourg, in France, the capital of Europe (along with Bruxelles and Luxembourg) and only a few kilometers from Germany, where I can go shopping, eating a huge icecream without any problems.
Seven decades ago, here was the epicenter of the most devastating war that humanity suffered, think about it.

Also, the creation of the EU gave our town some cool futuristic-looking building ;)
(click here for more)

CiSTM

Banned
It's easy to make jokes about this, and I've made one or two myself.

But in the wider picture, it's well deserved really. I love the basic ideas of the EU.
Especially if you read why it was awarded it makes more sense

The Nobel Peace Prize 2012 was awarded to European Union (EU) "for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe

Can't argue with that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm living in Strasbourg, in France, the capital of Europe (along with Bruxelles and Luxembourg) and only a few kilometers from Germany, where I can go shopping, eating a huge icecream without any problems.
Seven decades ago, here was the epicenter of the most devastating war that humanity suffered, think about it.

Yeah, I love this. I've always loved that I can go to Paris or Berlin or London or Barcelona...and feel as entitled to be there, and to feel in some way 'connected' as I do at home. I like seeing that 'EU' immigration line at the airport. I feel welcome. And I love what the flow of immigration back to my own country has done for it.

I know it's easy to say 'big deal', but for a continent so fractured by war for so long...

The founding fathers are all dead. Besides, it's been a decades long process during which dozens of politicians worked together to build it, it wouldn't make much sense to give the prize to individuals. It's also not the first time entities rather than persons received the prize (IAEA, IPCC, UN, ICBL, IPPNW, ...). Nothing new here.

The last sole win by an entity was in 1999 to Doctors Without Borders, which I personally think hits the sweet spot of a non-corporeal direct actor of peace. You look at other sole wins by entities - UN Peacekeeping Forces, International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, UN High Commissioner for Refugees - and these are specific entities doing specific tasks contributing to global peace. The EU is a laudable symbolic entity with definite merit in its representative status of a united Europe and the award is defensible on "let's celebrate this institution during the hour of its sternest test" grounds but I just look at prior recipients and see a missed opportunity to use the Prize as the tool it can be.

CassSept

Anyone who hates upon the EU receiving the Peace Prize needs to take a history lesson. The scariest thing is knowing that there are some posters here who were born when Germany was divided and visiting the Baltics was considered a sign of insanity.

Some? Majority of posters were born before unification of Germany.

Nobel Peace Prize became a joke a long time ago.

EU will get the prize for bringing the longest period of peace in Europe in recorded history (I may have made that last fact up, but it could be true)

edit: did a minimum of research and it may actually be true. at least for a 1000 years

Eh, nearly 15 years? Cold 'war' was a bit longer, unless you take the hostilities during the period as an actual war.

Bo-Locks

Something I previously said:

I can only summon up a mild amusement for any of the nonsense surrounding the peace, literature and economics Nobel prizes. They're just pathetic wannabes and always will be. Physics, Chemistry and Physiology are the only ones that matter. I just wish that the general population and the media gave half as much as attention to these prizes as they do for the former.

Metrotab

Banned
Yeah, I love this. I've always loved that I can go to Paris or Berlin or London or Barcelona...and feel as entitled to be there, and to feel in some way 'connected' as I do at home. I like seeing that 'EU' immigration line at the airport. I feel welcome. And I love what the flow of immigration back to my own country has done for it.

I know it's easy to say 'big deal', but for a continent so fractured by war for so long...

Would like to quote this.

As a Belgian I live in what used to be called the 'battleground of Europe'. Now, it's hard to imagine another war ever happening here.

Geeker

I think it is a very fair price. EU is one of those things people love to hate (especially now when it is the scapegoat of all local problems), but dont think about what the alternative would be.

CiSTM

Banned
Having a "that's art? My grandchild could do better"-discussion every single year? I can do without that.
That's true but it does bug me that literature has elevated in such high position and other arts ignored. Best option would be get rid off it once and for all or start giving nobel to some aging artist (literature or anyother) and it could work as life time achievment award.

Waaghals

Torbjørn Jagland does it again!

I can definitely se why the EU got the prize, in fact, I think it is one of the better candidates.

The timing is, however, unfortunate given that the whole union is struggling.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That's true but it does bug me that literature has elevated in such high position and other arts ignored. Best option would be get rid off it once and for all or start giving nobel to some aging artist (literature or anyother) and it could work as life time achievment award.

Why have a prize for each of the major sciences but one for 'all of art' though?

GCX

The timing is, however, unfortunate given that the whole union is struggling.
Obviously the point of the prize is to remind people of the bigger picture that the union is a lot more than the euro crisis. It's no coincidence EU was awarded this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom