• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French and U.S. Scientists Win Nobel Physics Prize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two physicists who developed techniques to study the interplay between light and matter on the smallest and most intimate imaginable scale won the Nobel Prize in Physics on Tuesday. They are Serge Haroche, of the Collège de France and the École Normale Supérieure, in Paris, and David Wineland, of the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the University of Colorado.

They will split 8 million Swedish krona, or about $1.2 million, and receive their award in Stockholm on Dec. 10.

Their work, the academy said, enables scientists to directly observe some of the most bizarre effects — like the subatomic analogue of cats who are alive and dead at the same time — predicted by the quantum laws that prevail in the microcosm, and could lead eventually to quantum computers and super accurate clocks.

NY Times

lol i cant believe you guys are a superpower. so dumb.

edit: But really, when was the last time a Nobel prize was one by a single country's scientists? It says a lot about the science world's ability to co-ordinate on an international and even inter-continental way that this seems to occur so frequently. I just had a friend of mine from school who now works at CERN go to Japan to do a presentation. I love it.

CiSTM

Banned
Old
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=42974887

lol i cant believe you guys are a superpower. so dumb.

edit: But really, when was the last time a Nobel prize was one by a single country's scientists? It says a lot about the science world's ability to co-ordinate on an international and even inter-continental way that this seems to occur so frequently. I just had a friend of mine from school who now works at CERN go to Japan to do a presentation. I love it.
Last year. Chemistry prize went to one guy, also the physics prize laureates were all from US. Also 2004 was all US in Physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom