• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime that are pretty shitty but have S-tier OP songs

Paltheos

One of the worst anime I've ever seen, was "waiting till it got good", and several episodes in, it never did. So overhyped, total garbage, only redeeming factor is the opening:

Mad Max Reaction GIF

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just an opinion but 90's was a pretty awful decade for anime but there were a few good soundtracks attached to anime that really weren't that great. In alignment with OP, I'll just share openings.

Maze: The Mega Burst Space Opening (1997) - Kokuu no Meikyuu (short TV edit w/ alternate guitar)

GeoBreeders OVA (1st, 1998) - Rising Soul

There are others with great OPs, some 90's...mostly 70's & 80's but the anime weren't bad; so despite having many titles in my catalogue from time's past...this is all that came to mind. Maybe 'Breeze' from Slayers Try (also 1997)

Apologies for the quality but back to Maze: The Megaburst space. The TV show and OVA both had a decent soundtrack. The OVA is somewhat remembered by some but the TV series has been abandoned by all (JP and the West both). Listen to this short in between music here to get an idea.

Trivia on Maze the Megaburst Space slightly off. The TV series had a North American release with Central Park Media. Albeit a lazy release (they just crop & stretched the 4:3 low res VHS for the DVDs); it was never even considered for a DVD release in Japan. Now, your second piece of trivia as to 'why' they may not have wanted to release it on DVD. Aside from themes in the show being pretty out there, they made a movie in 1998 for Maze. The movie was very poorly received by the few producers and such who saw it. The movie (till this date) has rarely been seen and never released in any physical or digital form in Japan or elsewhere. All that exists that a movie was ever there is the fact that a TV spot promo with Akahori (the creator of Maze) and a regular trailer are still around.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly half of the anime being posted as shit are literal classics...

You need to pick an actual bad anime like this

Last edited:
Top Bottom