• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime that are pretty shitty but have S-tier OP songs

Post 'em!

Last edited:

Banned
this is very region specific, but 90s Mega Man show's german opening.

2x.webp
2x.webp

Golden Boy's german opening.

but golden boy had some funny moments to be fair. it wasn't that bad 🙃

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

2x.webp
2x.webp

Golden Boy is anything but shit. One of the greats. ;)

Cop Craft from a few years back had a cool op.

Not an anime but heavily anime in style , Sushi Striker's opening is amazing for a just ok game

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member

2x.webp
2x.webp

That one also has a good opening songs.

edit: Misread i thought it was only about good opening songs. But I was never the biggest Inuyasha fan.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I don't think this one was shitty, but it was nothing special either. The OP song was great though.

YuLY

Hi-Speed Jecy. Anime is not shitty, its pretty good space adventure in the vein of Cobra, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star etc, but its very obscure. This song is phenomenal:

Sakura

Oshi no Ko and Summertime Rendering ”pretty shitty”?

I haven’t gotten around to either (don’t have HDive or Hulu yet) but virtually everyone says those two are excellent.

Oshi no Ko is a series carried by its production values. It also has a strong first episode to get everybody watching. But the series itself just gets worse and worse as it goes on, and the plot is trash. Tons of filler.

Summertime Render is also a series that starts strong in the first couple episodes. It appears as a cool time loop mystery series in episode 1, but quickly devolves into generic action with a poor plot. But I won't spoil anything if you plan to watch it.

I can sort of understand the first two...but Summertime Rendering? I will punch you.

I'm sorry, but it is. The plot is really bad.
The time loop mechanic is used as nothing more than to allow the story to have action scenes without consequences. This is further enforced by the fact that everybody gets to remember what happened in the previous loops thanks to Ushio, and even the bad guy remembers what happens too, so the looping is almost entirely pointless. This also causes the protagonist to become rather unimportant, as he is only really required to initiate the loop.
I also absolutely hate endings that are basically just resets where nothing happened, nobody remembers, etc. It is just an out for lazy writers.
There are a lot of other problems I have with the plot, but I won't bother writing too much here.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Sorry to shit on everyone, but I haven't hear a single good op song, apart from Pokemon and Sailor Moon, which are both great anime up to a point.

Enjoy!

Mistake

Oshi no Ko and Summertime Rendering ”pretty shitty”?

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

I haven’t gotten around to either (don’t have HDive or Hulu yet) but virtually everyone says those two are excellent.
Oshi no ko showed a lot of promise, and then threw it all out the window by episode 2. You expect it to turn into a nice mystery show with twists, but it's mostly about idol junk. Summertime Rendering started strong and then stayed "decent." Nothing amazing, but probably good if you're unfamiliar with stuff similar to it

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

2x.webp
2x.webp

Megaman was a ANIME?

Or it was a American Cartoon in this example?

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just an opinion but 90's was a pretty awful decade for anime but there were a few good soundtracks attached to anime that really weren't that great. In alignment with OP, I'll just share openings.

Maze: The Mega Burst Space Opening (1997) - Kokuu no Meikyuu (short TV edit w/ alternate guitar)

GeoBreeders OVA (1st, 1998) - Rising Soul

There are others with great OPs, some 90's...mostly 70's & 80's but the anime weren't bad; so despite having many titles in my catalogue from time's past...this is all that came to mind. Maybe 'Breeze' from Slayers Try (also 1997)

Eureka Seven Ao

Persona: Trinity Soul

FLOW are of course famous for their Naruto openings. So this one's a super hot take. (I don't hate Naruto but I know some people do.)

Doom85

Eureka Seven Ao

Oh god, that show pissed me off beyond belief (didn’t help FUNimation’s trailer made it look promising, fueled by BONES at least always giving great animation). Then I read what the final two movies of that recent trilogy and I will refuse to believe it’s possible to disrespect an original series harder than what those movies pulled.

So IIRC, the reveal in this new continuity is that Eureka actually went insane after her Renton died and all the prior continuities (the original anime/AO, the original movie, and the manga) were all mental delusions she subconsciously created to mentally cope with his death. Oh, and she dies too, along with a ton of the other heroes.

That‘s right, that original beloved series, which had dark moments but was ultimately idealistic, NEVER HAPPENED and the real Renton and Eureka died tragically. Of course, this was after AO shat on the original by giving a middle finger to the original‘s message of “yes, different cultures can have trouble connecting, but it is worth it in the end” (also, Renton and Eureka’s first child died stillborn, because fuck the original happy ending apparently!) and then you had the original movie which turned two supporting members of the Gekkostate into attempted rapists (…why?) and just threw darker elements in with no rhyme and reason.

God, the original had a few issues (mainly was hoping for a bigger final showdown, also Renton’s father and sister are addressed but kind of just dropped after that) but it was still a series I love. Everything after, I thought, “well, maybe these later writers don’t get what made the original work” but by the time of that movie trilogy, I thought, “no, it’s not unfair to think whoever wrote this has some weird, intense hatred of the original”.

Eureka Seven had such a cool world, so a sequel(s) and/or prequel(s) could have been great. Instead we got stuff that missed the point and finally something that felt like the team just wanted to kill a franchise harder than a franchise has ever been killed before.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

I don't want to hear "ACKCHUALLY". It belongs in this thread!

I can give another 'A' for the X-Men animated series that made it trash other than not being anime or ackchually. AKOM...did most of the animation. They were the cheapest and had a storyboard in which the animators were unable to draw a friggin circle in a separate series just before this. Opening theme wouldn't even save this given it's dated harmonized guitar soloing to a Bond-like theme was off for 1992/93.

TL;DR ...no

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Megaman was a ANIME?

Or it was a American Cartoon in this example?
American produced under supervision of Ruby/Spears. Most of the writers, producer and such were American under R/S. However, not unlike Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff and Thundercats...the animation team was mostly Japanese with Aki studios.

Voice actors were Canadian and most had worked with the Ocean Group in the 90's.

BlackTron

Golden boy was fucking great lol. I should rewatch it. It was only like 6 episodes, it's not long enough to overstay its welcome. Binge it for the hilarious hijinx it one afternoon. Starts out like it's gonna be gross and stupid but it all comes together.

Doom85

Ok booth are more mediocre than bad but the openings are great!

Nah, Last Exile was great. Third best show studio Gonzo ever did (after Gankutsuou: Count of Monte Cristo and Welcome to the NHK). Granted, they had mostly stinkers or mid series in their catalog, but those three actually slapped.

Valonquar

WellSpeed Grapher was just straight up Girls on Film by Duran Duran. Awesome song, forgettable anime.

Last edited:

lachesis

The Five Star Stories 1989 movie. (And ongoing manga, which I don't really expect it to be finished ever..)

It wasn't really an op song but an ending credit song - but still.
I liked the movie because I was fan of the manga. However for most people, it probably didn't matter much. I do remember it was a moderate success among fans.
I do wish, however - the MH were more prominent from the beginning, but it was all about personal build up, and so is the most of the manga themselves that are more about the inter galactic politics and people around it. Manga is great, as long as you can follow the details and all... but it's a shame, because Nagano's mech designs are quite something. Even today's GM, I kinda like it. (Grew up on me)

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm sorry as this isn't a bad anime.

It's in fact my favorite.

Just wanted an excuse to post ie share this with you all..

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE is kinda my personal motto and I'd wish it was my tag ♡ '^^

Last edited:

justonething

Jada's BFF
I'm sorry as this isn't a bad anime.

It's in fact my favorite.

Just wanted an excuse to post ie share this with you all..

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE is kinda my personal motto and I'd wish it was my tag ♡ '^^

I was about to dempsey roll you for posting that here before reading it's your favourite anime XD I love that op as well, so hype, makes me want to take up boxing.

Last edited:

Labolas

Some of y'all need to better define what you consider shit because holy shit, some of these are legit bad takes.
Not exactly shit, but definitely mediocre for sure.

Top Bottom