• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Radeon 7900XTX ($999) & 7900XT ($899) Announced | Available December 13th

GHG

Because everyone loves marketing charts:

wPSSeC5bUkYbQqVjqNqdea-1200-80.png.webp

d3hK244936xb8Hgs8FKqZa-1200-80.png.webp

7ReRy8hVpkfEpByyGisGJa-1200-80.png.webp

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
According to the Hamersnexua video, AMD did some tricky math on the 8k being misleading as it wasn't a true 8k being an ultra wide 2160p resolution. The same thing Nvidia did with the 3090 and they got roasted for.

I think they will be pretty much on par with 4090 performance with 3-D V-cache RDNA 3 early next year. These 2 cards seem like appetizers, and you are waiting for the main course to come....

Last edited:

GHG

I think they will be pretty much on par with 4090 performance with 3-D V-cache RDNA 3 early next year. These 2 cards seem like appetizers, and you are waiting for the main course to come....

Yep there's still room for another card in the product stack if the rumours are to be believed (which they should be because they were spot on for the 2 cards announced today).

They are probably waiting to see what Nvidia do next year with any potential 4080 ti or even a 4090 ti before making their move. With their current product stack they have all bases covered so they can sit back and wait.

Banned
AMD really was basically forced to price their cards below 1000 bucks.

they are ridiculous in terms of raster performance at that price for sure, but their raytracing literally became worse comparatively... they didn't even keep the performance delta vs Nvidia the same, they lost ground with this generation.

the XTX is a solid card tho, due to the amount of CUs basically brute forcing current games that support Raytracing to be in a relatively decent spot in terms of performance.

the power consumption and card size also help the card.

all in all, the cards are disappointing in terms of technology, but surprisingly good in terms of pricing and power consumption.

Last edited:

SABRE220

AMD really was basically forced to price their cards below 1000 bucks.

they are ridiculous in terms of raster performance at that price for sure, but their raytracing literally became worse comparatively... they didn't even keep the performance delta vs Nvidia the same, they lost ground with this generation.

the XTX is a solid card tho, due to the amount of CUs basically brute forcing current games that support Raytracing to be in a relatively decent sport in terms of performance.

the power consumption and card size also help the card.

all in all, the cards are disappointing in terms of technology, but surprisingly good in terms of pricing and power consumption.
Were there any improvements in terms of efficiency over their rdna2 in terms of their RT performance per core? They claim this is their next gen RT pipeline but from the numbers RT seems inferior to even the 3xxx series.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Ray tracing at playable framerates: meh, not all games support it. Who cares.

Buying a new DP 2.1 monitor so you can play in 4K 700 FPS with low settings: the killer app!
Lol he did say it was marketing charts 😋
Didn’t Nvidia do something silly with the graphs too, only showing an easily missed thin line for AMD charts? It’s always this way. Reviews will show the real benchmark results.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
According to the Gamersnexus video, AMD did some tricky math on the 8k being misleading as it wasn't a true 8k being an ultra wide 2160p resolution. The same thing Nvidia did with the 3090 and they got

Fredrik

As a 4090 owner, this is great news. If these perform like it seems they do, Nvidia is getting some real competition this time around. Fantastic news for PC owners.
Yup AMD will sort out this pricing craziness, Nvidia will need to go low with the ”4080” and next gen things have hopefully stabilized to sane levels for everyone again. I could even see Nvidia lower the price on 4090. Depends on the review benchmarks.

Banned
Were there any improvements in terms of efficiency over their rdna2 in terms of their RT performance per core? They claim this is their next gen RT pipeline but from the numbers RT seems inferior to even the 3xxx series.

the RT improvements are 1.5x faster than RDNA2, that's not much... and yeah it seems like slower than RTX30.

the price of the cards is saving them tho as the sheer amount of RT accelerators in the 7900XTX amd 7900XT should be enough for decent performance over all

SABRE220

the RT improvements are 1.5x faster than RDNA2, that's not much... and yeah it seems like slower than RTX30.

the price of the cards is saving them tho as the sheer amount of RT accelerators in the 7900XTX amd 7900XT should be enough for decent performance over all
Well thats rather disappointing was hoping for atleast a slight improvement over 3090ti in RT since all next gen engines are moving to RT pipelines. I don't see AMD gaining any real market share from nvidia considering the people spending 1000$ on gpu's arent going to care for weak excuses for why RT isnt important.

Even intel was competitive with 3xxx series at the same card tier at their first damn try with terrible drivers...

GHG

aiIE9EU.png

Here’s 6950XT ray tracing #s.

AMD’s slides showed 47%-84% improvement so that would put it around 22.2 - 27.8 fps on this chart. So roughly around 3090 Ti ray tracing performance.

That seems pretty decent for a $1000 GPU.

Yep, should make most ray tracing titles actually playable on AMD cards now, even more so if the game also supports FSR 2.0 or above.

octiny

Banned
Just some maths via TechPowerUp 4090 FE review (includes 6950 XT founders)

1.6x 6950 XT Doom Eternal 4K RT puts the 7900 XTX @ 138fps vs 128fps 3090 Ti

7% faster than 3090 Ti RT (TPU benchmark removed for 4090 )

----

1.5x 6950 XT Metro Exodus 4K RT puts the 7900 XTX @ 69fps vs 72 fps 3090 Ti.

4% slower than 3090 Ti RT (55% slower than 4090)

----

1.5x 6950 XT Resident Evil Village 4K RT puts the 7900 XTX @ 126 fps vs 102fps 3090 Ti

21% faster than 3090 Ti RT (35% slower than 4090)

---

1.7x 6950 XT CP2077 4K rasterization puts the 7900 XTX @ 66fps vs 72fps 4090

8.5% slower than 4090 (33% faster than 3090 Ti)

---

1.5x 6950 XT Watch Dogs Legion 4K rasterization puts 7900 XTX @ 96fps vs 105fps 4090

9% slower than 4090 (34% faster than 3090 Ti)

---

That said, amazing price for the 7900 XTX @ $999. Meh, for the price of the 7900 XT. $100 for the upgrade is a no brainer. 4080 16gb @ $1199 is a tough sell at this point. Already was beforehand considering how insultingly neutered to the 4090 it is.

Looking forward to seeing how far I can push the 7900 XTX past a 4090 in raster w/ MPT.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ffs, there's me all in on the founders edition 4090 but this card got me thinking about going with AMD for the first time in 15 years....I need real benchmarks ASAP.

Hopefully my 4090 doesn't become available before reviews. When's the embargo up?

VN1X

Banned
Does this mean the 6800 XT will be affordable now? I only care about 1440p gaming at high framerates.

Last edited:

Elios83

AMD did the right choice here, these cards are by far the best deal with an excellent price/performance ratio.
1000$ just for a GPU is still a lot but at least it's reasonable for the high end market.
nVidia and their greedy CEO will finally get some competition, it's going to get more difficult for them to get rid of the 3000 series stock as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom