• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon RX 7950 XTX, 7950 XT, 7800 XT, 7700 XT, 7600 XT, 7500 XT RDNA Spotted

Kataploom

Gold Member
AMD... Yawn.

They've shown their pricing and performance relative to Nvidia is garbage time after time.
How so? Their prices are by far better than Nvidia's for equally or slightly more powerful models. Even the absurdly priced 7900 cards are now getting to the price people wished they had at launch.

I'm expecting to get a 7800 or 7800 XT though, quite happy with my 6700 XT but needs just a little more power to run all or almost all games at 4K with ease.

iQuasarLV

Cyberpunk 2077 (1440p / 4k) @Techpowerup
  • Assuming all GPU run at 2.5GHz
  • Assuming linear regression in core / memory bandwidth counts
  • Ignoring obvious VRAM limitations
============================
Radeon RX7950XTX Navi31 / 5nm / MCM 96 / 6144 TBD 24GB GDDR6 384-bit
~??? ($1199)
Radeon RX7950XT Navi 31 / 5nm / MCM 84 / 5376 TBD 20GB GDDR6 320-bit
~??? ($899)
Radeon RX7900XTX Navi 31 / 5nm / MCM 96 / 6144 2.5GHz 24GB GDDR6 384-bit
117 / 62 FPS (confirmed $8.53/fps @1440p, $16.11/fps @ 4k)
Radeon RX7900XT Navi 31 / 5nm / MCM 84 / 5376 2.4GHz 20GB GDDR6 320-bit
105 / 52 FPS (confirmed $8.08/fps @ 1440p, $16.32/fps @ 4k)
Radeon RX7800XT Navi 32 / 5nm / MCM 60 / 3840 TBD 16 GB GDDR6 256-bit
~74 / 37 FPS ($649, $8.77/fps @ 1440p, $17.54/fps @ 4k)
Radeon RX7700XT Navi 33 / 6nm / Mono 32 / 2048 TBD 8 GB GDDR6 128-bit
~40 / 20 FPS ($449, $11.23/fps @ 1440p, $22.45/fps @4k)
Radeon RX 7600 XT Navi 33 / 6nm / Mono 24 / 1536 TBD 8 GB GDDR6 128-bit
~30 / 15 FPS ($329, $10.96/fps @ 1440p, $21.93/fps @4k)
Radeon RX 7500 XT Navi 33 / 6nm / Mono 16 / 1024 TBD 4 GB GDDR6 128-bit
~21 / 10 FPS ($229, $10.90/fps @ 1440p, $22.90/fps @4k)

If these rumored numbers hold true it is yikes'ville. Crossing the performance cost barrier of $10/20 per frame is asinine. Paying more for less pfft. To hold AMD at a sane price point it would have to look like
7800XT @ $599
7700XT @ $349
7600XT @ $249
7500XT @ $179
However, I think have such a large pricing gap from 599(7800xt) to 799 (7900xt) would not sit well with AMD when they could just mark the stack up $50-100 and call it a day.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
How so? Their prices are by far better than Nvidia's for equally or slightly more powerful models. Even the absurdly priced 7900 cards are now getting to the price people wished they had at launch.

I'm expecting to get a 7800 or 7800 XT though, quite happy with my 6700 XT but needs just a little more power to run all or almost all games at 4K with ease.

its to do with the additional features such as Ray Tracing and DLSS primarily, both of AMD's offerings in the same space are far weaker.

Some people think of Ray Tracing as a gimmick but its really not as graphically it can really make a game pop, DLSS has already proven itself in the space and the more recent versions from Nvidia are just superior to AMD's offering unfortunately in both frames gained and the quality of the frames produced.

While there is an argument that Ray Tracing will only be worth it maybe in a few card gens when the cores on the card can keep up with the rest of the kit, DLSS is something with a solid proven track record.

as such some people just write AMD offerings off because these two additional features are lacking in comparison, it will depend on price of course but the current 7000 offerings where shit because at the price they where at people would just pay the slight bump more to have the Nvidia card with the Nvidia features, these need to be either dramatically better performance or dramatically cheaper to the Nvidia cards to make up for the lack of features, which the 7900's sadly where not.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
its to do with the additional features such as Ray Tracing and DLSS primarily, both of AMD's offerings in the same space are far weaker.

Some people think of Ray Tracing as a gimmick but its really not as graphically it can really make a game pop, DLSS has already proven itself in the space and the more recent versions from Nvidia are just superior to AMD's offering unfortunately in both frames gained and the quality of the frames produced.

While there is an argument that Ray Tracing will only be worth it maybe in a few card gens when the cores on the card can keep up with the rest of the kit, DLSS is something with a solid proven track record.

as such some people just write AMD offerings off because these two additional features are lacking in comparison, it will depend on price of course but the current 7000 offerings where shit because at the price they where at people would just pay the slight bump more to have the Nvidia card with the Nvidia features, these need to be either dramatically better performance or dramatically cheaper to the Nvidia cards to make up for the lack of features, which the 7900's sadly where not.
DLSS I can understand if you're going below "Quality" settings, but that's it. I haven't had any issue doing 1440p or 4K on my AMD with FSR (though after 1440p or 1600p I notice big diminishing return anyway).

The problem with RT currently is that it's by far the feature devs take less care of because games are not designed around it and unless you're going for top end in which Nvidia has no rival, RT is a VRAM black hole, which Nvidia cards lack a lot. I mean, it's pretty ironic that the cards that could take advantage of VRAM the most are the ones with barely any, there are already comparisons of AMD vs Nvidia where AMD is equally or more performant than Nvidia using RT solely because of VRAM limits on recent games.

Also, RT is one of the reasons why PC ports stutters more these days, most complaining users are those wanting to play with it active, it's frequent to see on internet people suggesting to disable RT to reduce or eliminate stutters.

But as I said, games this gen are not designed around it unless it's a hybrid solution like Lumen, most will be designed around rasterized lighting anyway, which makes RT more expensive, less optimized and most of the time completely unnecessary.

Having said all of that, I don't see how AMD is a much worse value, if anything it's the best value/performance brand right now until Intel gets up to date with their GPUs.

StereoVsn

Kind of interested to see that 7950xtx card. I am betting $1200 price won't last either. Might consider at $1K or a bit less and just sell my 3080ti.

Reallink

I'm not really following the logic of 7950's, seems a waste of product and marketing resources to gain what will likely be a few percentage points.

Puscifer

AMD... Yawn.

They've shown their pricing and performance relative to Nvidia is garbage time after time.
These benchmarks are saying otherwise, and it looks like since RT is becoming less dependent on whatever api nvidia was using their performance in RT is getting much better.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

7900XTX is like $300 cheaper than a 4080, and trades blows with it.

Did it drop $100?

I wouldn’t compare reference to reference though, and this is a major difference this gen, Ada cards have really good coolers (a tad oversized maybe even). AMD’s reference is trash compared to FEs

RoboFu

One of the green rats
AMD... Yawn.

23H.gif

Sadly so many peoples want just that. AMD to be competitive… to lower prices of Nvidia cards.. to buy Nvidia.
There's nothing sad about it. Nvidia offers objectively superior technology. The only purpose of AMD is to drive down prices of Nvidia, because they offer an objectively inferior gaming experience. Even Intel has better RT performance these days, that's what's really sad.

kiphalfton

With an army of Nvidiots like this one who would care about the competition?
Tell me I'm wrong, because generation after generation AMD releases their stuff AFTER Nvidia for like $50 less.

When it inevitably doesn't stack up and people aren't buying it, AMD lowers the price and releases a refresh that then at that point surpasses Nvidia for the same price.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Timestamped

I'm not sure why the common parlance is to shit on RT performance but in 9 out of 10 cases it matches or beats a 3090 Ti and stays in the same ballpark as the 4080. So saving the $300 is not sacrificing RT performance in any meaningful way.

That video proves his point, from that video I'm seeing the 4080 beating the 7900 XTX by 20+% in many cases.

Being on par with a last gen flagship RT is not great.

And Nvidia offers the better upscaling technology. DLSS2 is better than FSR2 (which probably makes the experience of 3090 Ti RT better than 7900 XTX). When you turn on RT, you'll want to use one of those technologies too... I hope that AMD matches DLSS2 in image quality one day...

Last edited:

ChrisB

Did it drop $100?

I wouldn’t compare reference to reference though, and this is a major difference this gen, Ada cards have really good coolers (a tad oversized maybe even). AMD’s reference is trash compared to FEs
You know it's possible to have a preference and still be truthful right? AMD's reference cards since the 6000 series are smaller than Nvidia's while maintaining the same temp ranges. There was a manufacturing issue in a batch of 7900 XTX but that doesn't speak to the design that speaks to that OEM's QC

iQuasarLV

That video proves his point, from that video I'm seeing the 4080 beating the 7900 XTX by 20+% in many cases.

Being on par with a last gen flagship RT is not great.

And Nvidia offers the better upscaling technology. DLSS2 is better than FSR2 (which probably makes the experience of 3090 Ti RT better than 7900 XTX). When you turn on RT, you'll want to use one of those technologies too... I hope that AMD matches DLSS2 in image quality one day...
Yet, 8 months ago that 3090 Ti was THE card to buy if you wanted RT performance. Yet overnight it seemingly is shit performance in relation to the 4080.
So, what is the value of that 20% raytracing $300? $400? 50% of whatever Nvidia brings to market?

Last edited:

MikeM

AMD... Yawn.

Depending where you live, the jump between xtx and 4080 can be massive.
And in some games, smokes it.

In one of the most popular games out there, COD MW2, the 4090 gets beat by both the 7900xt and the xtx.

Leonidas

Yet overnight it seemingly is shit performance in relation to the 4080.
That's what happens when a new generation launches. 4090 is over 50% faster than 3090 Ti in RT. AMD flagship is only matching Nvidia last gen flagship in RT.

So, what is the value of that 20% raytracing $300? $400? 50% of whatever Nvidia brings to market?
I'd say up to 20% money is worth it, so $1200 vs. $1000, which happens to be the MSRP of both cards...
Or $1150 vs. $960, which happens to be the price you can get the cheapest card on Newegg today.

Yet, 8 months ago that 3090 Ti was THE card to buy if you wanted RT performance. Yet overnight it seemingly is shit performance in relation to the 4080.
Once you're already committing to spending $1k+ on a GPU, another $200 ain't shit and most people will spring for the 4080 because fuck I'm already paying this much money why would I settle for second best?

Leonidas

In the US there is only a 20% difference in price. $1200 vs. $1000, or $1150 vs. $960 (lowest price for a new card on Newegg today).

That 20% price difference gets you 20% better RT, better upscaling (DLSS2) and better efficiency.

Because of those things AMD needs to be at least 20% cheaper (the current market difference between the two cards) than Nvidia to make any kind of sense to me, and even then I'd still go Nvidia because I value those things, but I can see why others might go AMD.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

That's what happens when a new generation launches. 4090 is over 50% faster than 3090 Ti in RT. AMD flagship is only matching Nvidia last gen flagship in RT.

I'd say up to 20% money is worth it, so $1200 vs. $1000, which happens to be the MSRP of both cards...
Or $1150 vs. $960, which happens to be the price you can get the cheapest card on Newegg today.

But Ada has coolers even from the bottom line that are easily +$100 premium if not more from older gen AIBs (and AMD RDNA 3)

Gotta count for something? It’s quality of life improvement. I paid much more premium in the past to not get noisy cards. Hell, there’s more than $100 of Noctua in my case just for less noise.

I’m not touching this gen but if I were to buy a card now, FE is totally fine, while I would probably go AIB on AMD side. The price difference evaporates.

Should Nvidia gimp their cooler for lower costs just for MSRP battles? Or we look at product quality too? Peoples at launch saw the reference design hotspots and went with the likes of Red Devils and were basically paying 4080 price if not more.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
In the US there is only a 20% difference in price. $1200 vs. $1000, or $1150 vs. $960 (lowest price for a new card on Newegg today).

That 20% price difference gets you 20% better RT, better upscaling (DLSS2) and better efficiency.

Because of those things AMD needs to be at least 20% cheaper (the current market difference between the two cards) than Nvidia to make any kind of sense to me, and even then I'd still go Nvidia because I value those things, but I can see why others might go AMD.

My local Microcenter has a couple open box models for under $900 on the XTX. DLSS is great, but so is pure rasterization

lyan

Once you're already committing to spending $1k+ on a GPU, another $200 ain't shit and most people will spring for the 4080 because fuck I'm already paying this much money why would I settle for second best?
Another $300 ain't shit, why settle for the second best, just grab the 4090.

Leonidas

My local Microcenter has a couple open box models for under $900 on the XTX. DLSS is great, but so is pure rasterization
DLSS2 + RT performance matters more to me since the FPS when you turn RT on can become very low in demanding games.

I only have a 4070 and have never ran into a game where I needed more raster performance.

iQuasarLV

At what price point do you then say, goddamn I can't ignore this and just pick up an AMD gpu? Then, later curl up in the shower saying how dirty you feel?

All I ever see is people on 6-series or 7-series cards acting like they bought into the eco-system, so they have the same level of voice as those 9-series owners. The only reason they follow the competition is to see if it can light a fire under their preferred brand's ass to lower prices. Regardless if the competition has higher performance in raw metrics everywhere else God forbid that one metric has to be hyper focused to exhaustion.

Running with a 3070 Ti, 5600 xt, and 6700 xt I could give a rats ass about $1000 gpu. I broke my bar of $300 to pay $500 for a gpu these last two generations. I will be damned if I double it.

That said, I would like to see just how far you put the two brands apart. What is your preferred brand worth? X dollars more because you just trust it? where is the trust separator? Is it 3:1 2:1 1:1. Because world wide sales show that I doubt more than a few of you folks actually plopped money down to buy a 4080 let alone a 4090. Given that a majority of this site's user base is in the 35-50 age category I really wonder just when life's expenses have you double checking those price tags before you look at the brand label. Yet, people sit here and shit on product performance because a single metric is posting last generation's #s even though the generational uplift is 45-50%. People say, "No, not good enough!"

We obviously have a floor, and that floor is $350 thanks to Intel. If up to five cards are releasing this year, the stack is going to be hard squeezed between $970 and $350. So where would you put your hypocracy aside and buy the competition because the money is in the right place. Because at the end of the day it IS about what you think your purchase is valued at. Not metrics. Not brand loyalty. Not marketing gimmicks. What is your ceiling and what is your performance per dollar point?

I will go first. $500 per purchase and $7 per frame. Anything higher can piss right off.

As an aside, it is also psychotic to pay $20 for a movie ticket, $13 for a foot long sub, $7 for a basic latte, $4 for a loaf of bread. Times are just downright fucking bonkers and I hate it.

Last edited:

hinch7

AMD... Yawn.

Not really. For price to performance, the RX 7000 series beats the RTX 4000 series when it comes to raster. At least so far for high end GPU's. We still have yet to see the mid range GPU's from AMD and their lower end of the stack (7600, 7700 etc). Then there's the limited VRAM amount offered in Nvidia's 70 class cards and lowered bus which might affect performance or be factor in future games. Ada Lovelace as an architecure is quite a but ahead of RDNA 3 in power per watt, RT too and has Nvidia's software advantage rn so theres that. Depends on what you value.. better FPS in games you play and more memory, or playable RT on higher settings, superior upscaling tech and other perks of Nvidia. Both perform well in UE5.

In terms of price/performance going by aggregate data from reviews..
7900 XTX = 4080 similar performance - AMD card $200 cheaper, AIB models even more so
7900 XT > 4070 Ti the former, slightly faster - AMD card $50 cheaper, AIB models even more so
7800 XT ?? 4070
7700 XT ?? 4060 Ti
7600 XT ?? 4060
so on an so forth

The only massive rip off was the 7900XT, at launch ($900). Which was an shameless money grab, seeing as Nvidia tried to do the same with the unlaunched 4080 12GB > 4070Ti before they corrected the name and lowered that to $800. That was essentially the 7800XT with cost like a 90 series card. Its now priced a bit better; though is still overpriced for what it is. But hey at least it comes with 20GB VRAM and has decent memory bandwidth.

The rest is really up to AMD. Which we should see some more in the upcoming months.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Isn't the 4060ti and 4060 in the same boat?
Pretty much.
Probably even worse for the 4060Ti it isnt actually much better than the 3060Ti......effectively the only reason it performs better is due to higher clocks.....which is an embarrassment.

PALIT-RTX-4060-TI-HERO-BANNER-768x280.jpg

//DEVIL//

Pretty much.
Probably even worse for the 4060Ti it isnt actually much better than the 3060Ti......effectively the only reason it performs better is due to higher clocks.....which is an embarrassment.

PALIT-RTX-4060-TI-HERO-BANNER-768x280.jpg
companies still releasing 8 gigs card ?

Why for the love of god? it can't run newer games at full HD. 12 is the minimum for the love of god. 16 is perfect. 24 is a waste this gen ( will not be a waste next gen with the 5000 series. but by then a 4090/7900xtx will be outclassed by a 5070ti heh )

Leonidas

At what price point do you then say, goddamn I can't ignore this and just pick up an AMD gpu? Then, later curl up in the shower saying how dirty you feel?
I bought AMD cards in the past... RX 480, Vega 56, before RT and image reconstruction was a thing.

AMD cards made sense back then, since you weren't really sacrificing anything except for a higher power draw. Nowadays you sacrfice higher power draw, worse RT and worse image reconstruction to help the worse RT.
Running with a 3070 Ti, 5600 xt, and 6700 xt I could give a rats ass about $1000 gpu. I broke my bar of $300 to pay $500 for a gpu these last two generations. I will be damned if I double it.
I bought a $500 3070 last gen and I spent $600 (equivalent to $500 a few years ago) on a 4070 a few weeks ago.
You don't need to spend $1000+ to get a great experience.

That said, I would like to see just how far you put the two brands apart. What is your preferred brand worth? X dollars more because you just trust it? where is the trust separator? Is it 3:1 2:1 1:1. Because world wide sales show that I doubt more than a few of you folks actually plopped money down to buy a 4080 let alone a 4090. Given that a majority of this site's user base is in the 35-50 age category I really wonder just when life's expenses have you double checking those price tags before you look at the brand label. Yet, people sit here and shit on product performance because a single metric is posting last generation's #s even though the generational uplift is 45-50%. People say, "No, not good enough!"

We obviously have a floor, and that floor is $350 thanks to Intel. If up to five cards are releasing this year, the stack is going to be hard squeezed between $970 and $350. So where would you put your hypocracy aside and buy the competition because the money is in the right place. Because at the end of the day it IS about what you think your purchase is valued at. Not metrics. Not brand loyalty. Not marketing gimmicks. What is your ceiling and what is your performance per dollar point?
I don't prefer any brand, I prefer efficiency, good reconstruction, good RT performance, and RT performance per dollar.

I would consider AMD or Intel when their RT performance per dollar is better than Nvidia in my price/performance bracket while also having similar reconstruction.

I know it's impossible for AMD or Intel to do this in 2023 so I bought an RTX 4070 on day one.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I would consider AMD or Intel when their RT performance per dollar is better than Nvidia in my price range ($600 in todays dollars) while also having similar reconstruction.

I know it's impossible for AMD or Intel to do this in 2023 so I bought an RTX 4070 on day one.

That’s what I paid for my 7900XT. Same price as what I paid for a 3070ti, and it’s been a pretty substantial upgrade.

Had that deal not come up I probably would’ve just gotten a 4070ti.

Got to say I am happy with it thus far. Driver support has been solid, and I think Adrenalin is much better than Control Panel. I’ve also undervolted and overclocked my card, which was so much easier than I expected. First time doing so.

I’m really hoping Intel’s Battlemage is a contender. Their upscaler is very good, and I think they’re hungry enough to deliver strong value.

Top Bottom