• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD ‘Zenbleed’ exploit can leak passwords and encryption keys from Ryzen CPUs (affects Zen 2 CPUs only)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The fan-favorite Ryzen 5 3600 is also effected.

Some patches are already rolling out, but updates for most impacted processors aren’t expected until late 2023.​

A new vulnerability impacting AMD’s line of Zen 2 processors — which includes popular CPUs like the budget-friendly Ryzen 5 3600 — has been discovered that can be exploited to steal sensitive data like passwords and encryption keys. Google security researcher Tavis Ormandy disclosed the “Zenbleed” bug (filed as CVE-2023-20593) on his blog this week after first reporting the vulnerability to AMD on May 15th.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Be specific in the OP and title to outline it's Zen 2. Can spread misinformation quite fast this way.

Rami Malek Reaction GIF

GreatnessRD

So basically, this exploit is more of a problem for VM's and Epyc users. Doesn't sound like too much of a problem for DIY market. Still sucks AMD is lagging on the patches/AGESA updates.

peish

So basically, this exploit is more of a problem for VM's and Epyc users. Doesn't sound like too much of a problem for DIY market. Still sucks AMD is lagging on the patches/AGESA updates.

it's the other way, vm and epyc users will get saved by a patch early. desktop users either wait the amd promise timeline or upgrade to 7800x3dftw!

CuNi

I'm confused. The article talks about ZEN2 but also days 5000 and 7000 series are affected? Those are ZEN3 and ZEN4.
Or did I miss some SKUs utilizing ZEN2 in those product ranges?

I'm confused. The article talks about ZEN2 but also days 5000 and 7000 series are affected? Those are ZEN3 and ZEN4.
Or did I miss some SKUs utilizing ZEN2 in those product ranges?
AMD loves rebadging older architectures with new model numbers, it's a common problem in the mobile space.

While all desktop 5000 series CPU's are Zen 3, some 5000 series mobile CPU's are Zen 2.

CuNi

AMD loves rebadging older architectures with new model numbers, it's a common problem in the mobile space.

While all desktop 5000 series CPU's are Zen 3, some 5000 series mobile CPU's are Zen 2.
Ah gotcha!
Thanks for the clarification. Was super confused about that part.

Top Bottom