• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone In The Dark (2024) |OT| Christian Slater and Tara Reid Not Included

fart town usa

Gold Member
Im on chap 3 of Jodie Comer's campaign. This game is actually pretty neat and I can't help but feel reviewers were overly harsh on it.
Agreed. Especially with the visuals. Like WTF do people expect? The game is gorgeous and texture work is rarely this solid throughout in most games.

Combat too, again, WTF do some people expect? It's absolutely serviceable/functional for the type of game it sets out to be. to me it's the best of RE2/RE3 when it comes to aiming and dodging. The melee comes off as what Silent Hill should have been during it's height. As a whole it's not mind blowing but just incredibly solid. I applaud that.

Flabagast

Great outside of excessive environmental ambient noises and the leading man's voice work.
It's fantastic. Especially with the Pulse headset. The mix is done well and super atmospheric.

The various geometry bugs are the biggest issue IMO because everything else has such a keen attention to detail. Shame it has dumb glitches than can create easy/valid critiques that will scare players away.
Thanks for the replies, deeply appreciated as it is one of the most important parts of an horror game.

Are there graphical differences between Quality and Performance mode besides resolution ?

I will soon grab the game

fart town usa

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies, deeply appreciated as it is one of the most important parts of an horror game.

Are there graphical differences between Quality and Performance mode besides resolution ?

I will soon grab the game
Performance looked good but there was a slight drop in clarity. Game feels great at 30 so I've been on Quality.

I recommend to just switch between the two when you get it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Doing quality too. Was surprised how smooth it was. Occasionally a little choppiness but no biggie to me. Hopefully a patch rolls out soon.
Yea, only choppiness I've noticed is NPC movement in an early cutscene. Admittedly, I'm also not the best person to call out technical issues, unless it's really stands out I simply don't notice it.

Old school but I've had to change it to modern for the 358 talisman puzzles. I have no idea how the game expects me to approach those. I want to understand it though because the other puzzles have been really enjoyable and a breeze for the most part.
The bottom of a fixture has an arrow pointing up and the two outer talisman rings do as well. The arrows designate chosen numbers.

Bartski

Gold Member
Ok just beat the game 2nd time, that makes both characters.

Alone in the Dark 2024 is a good game same way Tormented Souls is good. Same league. I enjoyed it. But I also enjoyed Daymare 1998 I've seen it compared with. That's a stretch.
But it isn't one to expect a current-gen reboot of a title that literally revolutionized gaming 3 decades ago, written by the author of SOMA to land and deliver at all fronts within its scope as a game to be taken seriously.

Let's start with the good stuff: They nailed the bayou voodoo doom jazz vibe. There is something about the visual design, the color palette, and how it corresponds to the 1992 original, hard to put my finger on it - I guess it's a good example of art direction triumphing over asset fidelity. Voice acting is up there, twists in the story keep things interesting but at the end, a lot of it makes no sense, especially on Carnby's path.

What's also baffling I have not seen a single line of lore regarding enemies you fight - vine-covered ghouls, weird mutated zombie abominations, and other creatures... while our protagonists are so "wow a scary monster I must kill it" matter-of-fact about it they put Saga Anderson to shame.

Worst of all, fuck Gamespot but everything they said about the combat is true. Shooting feels semi-okay, there is even some hit reaction to enemies but melee is atrocious, and whoever came up with the "opportunity" brick/bottle mechanic should be demoted.

Also, the game needed a way more generous delay. Tons of bugs, collision issues, getting stuck on geometry, broken item pickups, progression bugs and checkpoint resets, audio cuts, bugged-out trophies, you name it... just wait for patches I'm sure plenty of those are coming.

To end on a positive note, from someone who played those games in the 90s - AITD'24 is full of easter eggs, some of which are SO GOOD (some stuff in chapter 4 omfg) they make it worth suffering through when the game is at its weakest.

Shame it didn't get the treatment its legacy deserves but a nice fun nostalgic ride nonetheless.

7/10.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ok just beat the game 2nd time, that makes both characters.

Alone in the Dark 2024 is a good game same way Tormented Souls is good. Same league. I enjoyed it. But I also enjoyed Daymare 1998 I've seen it compared with. That's a stretch.
But it isn't one to expect a current-gen reboot of a title that literally revolutionized gaming 3 decades ago, written by the author of SOMA to land and deliver at all fronts within its scope as a game to be taken seriously.

Let's start with the good stuff: They nailed the bayou voodoo doom jazz vibe. There is something about the visual design, the color palette, and how it corresponds to the 1992 original, hard to put my finger on it - I guess it's a good example of art direction triumphing over asset fidelity. Voice acting is up there, twists in the story keep things interesting but at the end, a lot of it makes no sense, especially on Carnby's path.

What's also baffling I have not seen a single line of lore regarding enemies you fight - vine-covered ghouls, weird mutated zombie abominations, and other creatures... while our protagonists are so "wow a scary monster I must kill it" matter-of-fact about it they put Saga Anderson to shame.

Worst of all, fuck Gamespot but everything they said about the combat is true. Shooting feels semi-okay, there is even some hit reaction to enemies but melee is atrocious, and whoever came up with the "opportunity" brick/bottle mechanic should be demoted.

Also, the game needed a way more generous delay. Tons of bugs, collision issues, getting stuck on geometry, broken item pickups, progression bugs and checkpoint resets, audio cuts, bugged-out trophies, you name it... just wait for patches I'm sure plenty of those are coming.

To end on a positive note, from someone who played those games in the 90s - AITD'24 is full of easter eggs, some of which are SO GOOD (some stuff in chapter 4 omfg) they make it worth suffering through when the game is at its weakest.

Shame it didn't get the treatment its legacy deserves but a nice fun nostalgic ride nonetheless.

7/10.
The bugs are an absolute shame. The game was delayed 5 months, it should have been polished to Derceto and back.

I've only come across one geometry bug on PS5 but I will be really bummed if I get all kinds of glitches as I continue my playthrough.

As for the story, just curious if you read/listened to the objectives updates throughout each chapter? It gives insight to character feelings, kind of like a narrator of sorts. Reminds me of FFXIII in that alot of the story is in menus and can be easily overlooked.

Bartski

Gold Member
As for the story, just curious if you read/listened to the objectives updates throughout each chapter? It gives insight to character feelings, kind of like a narrator of sorts. Reminds me of FFXIII in that alot of the story is in menus and can be easily overlooked.
I did, the feature of all notes being voice acted another big plus

As it's usually with bugs it gets worse the deeper you go, most I encountered were chapters 3 and 4

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I did, the feature of all notes being voice acted another big plus

As it's usually with bugs it gets worse the deeper you go, most I encountered were chapters 3 and 4
Appreciate that because I really want to wrap my head around the story but maybe it truly is delivered badly when all is said and done. I will find out soon enough! 😅

Moses85

tara reid ruined herself with those surgeries
Sexy Hot Girl GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Damn it feels good to solve these puzzles. Smartypants feels 😌

Chapter 2 and in the upside down lol (it’s no wonder they got David Harbour also I had Stranger Things S1 on in the background today at work and I don’t think he phones in this performance at all. He sounds “normal.” Like Hopper).

Game rules. The sound design and voice acting/writing is definitely the most surprising to me so far. The music is so fucking foreboding at times.

Also this

Last edited:
Night has come and I once again find myself in the dark... alone.

The safe combination at shipping warehouse was a bit of a head scratcher but the last three lines on the document gave the combination.
Number of letters in first word.

P.S. The temple is wild.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I made it to Chapter 4 and called it a night.

What an awesome game, I am still absolutely adoring it and still dodging the shit out of enemies.

The library section was intense! lmao. My heart rate was so high, game can definitely be scary when it wants to be :messenger_grinning_sweat:. The introduction to that set-piece was so cool, "it's the dark man!" that line, coupled with the camera angle and intense music. It was freaking awesome.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finished chapter 2. This chapter was much longer than the first, not sure if I'll be able to keep up with my "one chapter a night" plan or not.

The library, whew. Dang that got me.

EQ2TjkP.jpg

Systems: PC, PS5, Xbox
Developer: Pieces Interactive
Publisher: THQ Nordic
Release Date: 3/20/2024
Written and Directed by: Mikael Hedberg (SOMA and Amnesia: The Dark Descent)

Alone in the Dark is a reimagination of the 1992 classic by Frederick Raynal/Infogrames. Set in 1920's Louisiana, the player chooses to venture into the Derceto mansion/mental asylum as either series star Edward Carnby (Fat Cop From Stranger Things' David Harbour) or Emily Hartwood (Jodie Comer) in order to investigate the disappearance of Emily's uncle, Jeremy Hartwood. The game is the classic mix of exploration, puzzles and combat, with the focus being more on the former two as it was in the original.

Each character's adventure has its own segments with different dialogue and action scenes, along with specific collectibles that lead to alternate endings for each character. Replayability is always a good thing.

The OG

kuxJLYu.jpg

Fat cop from Stranger Thing's 😂 bit harsh?

fart town usa

Gold Member
The music in this game is simply phenomenal and this melody in particular 😭, it's so good. It's just so incredibly good. The melody, the ambient wall of noise. Inject it in my veins.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Well, looks like Im done until a patch is released. Came into a game breaking audio bug in Chapter 2 last night. My luck with survival horror games is complete ass lately lol

I think I know what caused it. I deliberately ran away from a fight in order to save some ammo and I reached a point where enemies were no longer on my ass and I hit an auto save. Im assuming if I fought those couple creatures everything wouldve been ok.

At that moment all sound cut out. All sound. Dead silence. I take a couple steps forward and this static-y screechy sound erupts out of my speakers. Reload checkpoint. Same thing. Restart game. Same thing. Reinstalled game. Same thing. This is on the PS5.

I aint even mad. Fortunately I wasnt that far in and whenever I fire it up again Ill be able to get to where I was in half the time or less. In contrast, I was fucking furious when AW2 broke on me, mostly because I felt majorly let down by Remedy at that point anyway so it was just fuel to the fire. At least with AITD I really went in with zero expectations and knew it was gonna be buggy.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
So as a fan of chululu and resident evil is this worth it?
Hell yes.

It's so good. The gameplay loop is basic but it's just fun as hell and atmospheric as F. Has some geometry clipping at times but it's been 99% smooth sailing for me. Edit- others have experienced some nasty bugs 😭

Combat is a blend of 2make/3make (dodge) and basic style SH melee but I think it works much better than traditional SH combat.

Puzzles make you think but aren't too difficult. It will absolutely be a contender for my personal GOTY. It has exceeded my expectations big time.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Well, looks like Im done until a patch is released. Came into a game breaking audio bug in Chapter 2 last night. My luck with survival horror games is complete ass lately lol

I think I know what caused it. I deliberately ran away from a fight in order to save some ammo and I reached a point where enemies were no longer on my ass and I hit an auto save. Im assuming if I fought those couple creatures everything wouldve been ok.

At that moment all sound cut out. All sound. Dead silence. I take a couple steps forward and this static-y screechy sound erupts out of my speakers. Reload checkpoint. Same thing. Restart game. Same thing. Reinstalled game. Same thing. This is on the PS5.

I aint even mad. Fortunately I wasnt that far in and whenever I fire it up again Ill be able to get to where I was in half the time or less. In contrast, I was fucking furious when AW2 broke on me, mostly because I felt majorly let down by Remedy at that point anyway so it was just fuel to the fire. At least with AITD I really went in with zero expectations and knew it was gonna be buggy.
That sucks! I'm so sorry to hear that. 😞😭

Bartski

Gold Member

Happened to me twice but restarting the game solved it. Autosave sucks balls, always good to make one manual per chapter.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

That sucks! There is a section in chapter 2

where you are in the graveyard section, and there are numerous monsters that you have to run from - not just to save ammo, but they'll also overwhelm you quickly and kill you, and once you start dodging and running from them (at least as Carnby) the character says something like "there's too many of them, I've gotta keep running"...

So if that was it, you might not have done anything wrong to cause it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
That sucks! There is a section in chapter 2

where you are in the graveyard section, and there are numerous monsters that you have to run from - not just to save ammo, but they'll also overwhelm you quickly and kill you, and once you start dodging and running from them (at least as Carnby) the character says something like "there's too many of them, I've gotta keep running"...

So if that was it, you might not have done anything wrong to cause it.

Definitely was not at that part. I hadn’t reached that section yet.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
jshackles jshackles

It got completely fucked just as I was about to
pull that lever in the "nightmare realm" that made the oil on the ground get set aflame

Last edited:
I deliberately ran away from a fight in order to save some ammo and I reached a point where enemies were no longer on my ass and I hit an auto save. Im assuming if I fought those couple creatures everything wouldve been ok. At that moment all sound cut out. All sound. Dead silence. I take a couple steps forward and this static-y screechy sound erupts out of my speakers. Reload checkpoint. Same thing. Restart game. Same thing. Reinstalled game. Same thing. This is on the PS5.
Happened to me twice but restarting the game solved it. Autosave sucks balls, always good to make one manual per chapter.
I am just lucky, I guess...

lezBvM3.jpg

jshackles jshackles

It got completely fucked just as I was about to
pull that lever in the "nightmare realm" that made the oil on the ground get set aflame
Don't you have to climb a ladder to get there? Doesn't the transition of loading new assets fix it? Maybe it is specific to PS5 version as I did not come across anything lke that on PC.

Reactions: Isa

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just wanna give the Devs a little props for the little details I've noticed.
I know it's not mind blowing but I like the way Emily holds banisters when she's near them and the proper realistic shadow casting of window nets.
Little things I know but they add up.
And I like the way like interacts with Emily's hair 👍
Game is still buggy but this is still a developer punching above it's weight and I gotta give them credit in that respect.
I hope they get to do another AITD

Sound design is good but I do keep hearing pauses in the ambulance track, might be a bug.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I just used Affirm home layaway to buy 2 physical copies on Amazon. One for me so I can lend it to my brother and the other for a best friend who loves Survival Horror but doesn't buy as many games as I do.

Word of mouth boys, gotta help these AA gems as best we can.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just wanna give the Devs a little props for the little details I've noticed.
I know it's not mind blowing but I like the way Emily holds banisters when she's near them and the proper realistic shadow casting of window nets.
Little things I know but they add up.
And I like the way like interacts with Emily's hair 👍
Game is still buggy but this is still a developer punching above it's weight and I gotta give them credit in that respect.
I hope they get to do another AITD

Sound design is good but I do keep hearing pauses in the ambulance track, might be a bug.
I noticed that too the other day, the hand placement on counters and whatnot. The attention to detail is so impressive to me.

Such a damn shame with the glitches! It was delayed 5 months, I figured it would not be an issue at all. Hope a patch rolls out soon.

fart town usa

Gold Member
For dualsense features, I still can't recall if the triggers are utilized when shooting and the rumble doesn't stand out.

However, I did notice that the light on the controller gets slightly brighter when you activate the flashlight 🤣. Nothing amazing but once I became aware I couldn't help but notice a touch of extra brightness.

Top Bottom