• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a year later, rate Senjitsu by Iron Maiden

Rate Senjitsu by Iron Maiden

• B-b-ballin’

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Good listen

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Could be better

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Awful

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Kacho

I keep finding myself coming back to this album which is rare these days. One of those albums you put it on and go for the ride. Solid listen from front to back.

Particularly Hell on Earth. F’n beautiful.

5.3 million views on the first YouTube video I found so I can’t be wrong.

Bonafide classice. SMD if you disagree. GOAT tier.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
waynes world headbang GIF

I_D

It doesn't sound quite like their older stuff to me, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
I wouldn't really expect it to, anyway; and I might even be disappointed if they'd tried to maintain the classic sound, since they would have inevitably failed.

To me, this sounds like really nice heavy-rock. The album almost has a psychedelic feel to it, which is a definitely a departure from their normal sound.
As such, I like it.

If I had heard this when I was in high school, though, I would have been sorely disappointed by the lack of "heavy."
As an adult, I can see why people would not like it, and I almost never enjoy when bands change their sounds, but I like this album a lot.

Catphish

I was a huge Maiden fan in the 80's. They and Metallica were my first loves in metal. Loved all their albums and listed to them frequently. But, to be completely honest, I haven't really liked any of their albums since Seventh Son.

No Prayer for the Dying was the first to miss the mark, Fear of the Dark felt completely mailed in, the Blaze Bayley albums were utter shite, the songs (particularly the choruses) of Brave New World were painfully repetitive, and every album since has just felt like more repetitious songs with Bruce Dickinson's voice steadily weakening. Like this song you posted, for example. He's obviously straining.

Musically, they're still excellent, though I don't feel like their more recent albums are mixed very well.

But Bruce is not the Bruce of old. To me, his voice now is a liability, as much as it pains me to say it. He was one of my icons. I'll always admire him and respect his work, but I just don't care for his voice now.

clem84

Gold Member
Iron maiden and Killers were both ok.
Number of the beast was very good.
From Piece of Mind to Seventh Son, those 4 albums remain their best to this day IMO.

Since then, their albums have been mostly good, with some misses. I didn't care for the two Blaze Bailey albums. A matter of life and Death was mostly average and somewhat disappointing. The others were great and I still listen to them from time to time.

Their last two albums clearly show they're running out of ideas, or inspiration. It just all feels like stuff they've done before. And yeah, Bruce is struggling. The studio albums are one thing, but live he's definitely struggling. They're my favorite band ever so I still buy every one of their albums and I still thought Senjutsu was enjoyable.

Top Bottom