• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Allies in Ghost of Tsushima Will React to How Players Deal With Situations; Exploration, Combat Get New Details

ghost_tsushima_battlefield-1920x1080.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima, the upcoming PlayStation 4 exclusive open-world game by Sucker Punch, will not have a traditional Karma System like in previous games created by the studio, but how players deal with situations is still going to have an impact.

On the latest issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine UK, as reported by Reddit user Hunbbel, it has been revealed that how players will deal with situations will determine the strength of the bonds with allies.

Just as the way the world unfolds depends on what you want to do, so does the story – to a point. As you wage your one-man war on the Mongols you ally with several characters, and how you decide to deal with situations can determine the strength of your bonds. Shimura’s none too impressed with your spectral approach. Makoto, an expert archer and just as handy with a sword, can be one of your best allies, helping to spread the legend that you’re a vengeful ghost, but if she disagrees with your actions you may end up crossing swords.
Some new details on the Ghost of Tsushima mechanics have also been confirmed. It has been confirmed that time will pass as players explore, and the game will keep track of how much time has passed since the invasion began.

Again nodding to realism, you explore the island’s lush environments without the help of waypoints, choosing where to explore next using landmarks and your knowledge of the world. Sucker Punch is no stranger to creating open worlds, but the fairly minimalist nature of the environments is a bit of a departure for the developer. Time in the story will pass as you explore, with titles telling you how much time it’s been since the invasion began.
Ghost of Tsushima also promises to be extremely varied thanks to different tools and gadgets, such as sticky bombs and fire arrows.

Quick iaijutsu strikes with your sheathed sword can spill enemy blood. Likewise, you can use a grappling hook to sneak through enemy camps unseen, dropping down to attack people or sneaking up on them from behind (even stabbing them through closed folding screens). Jin also has his gadgets: sticky bombs and fire arrows that can help him spread disarray through an enemy camp.
It has also been hinted that Jin's skills will develop so much during the course of the game that it will be possible to "devastate" an entire enemy camp.

Ghost of Tsushima launches on PlayStation 4 on June 26th worldwide.

GymWolf

ultra hyped for this, but please Sucker punch:

-no shitty free flow batman based combat
-give me the ultra-hard mode available for the first run without the game being a fucking cake walk after a couple of upgrades like most open world games.

thanks.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I’n mostly interested in how the sword combat is going to work because it seems like it’s not about slashing each other’s health bars down to zero. Which is something I’ve been waiting For someone to successfully pull off for ages now

Last edited:

GreyHorace

So your choices in the game can determine which allies join you in your war against the Mongols?

Fuck yeah sign me up. And I'm intrigued about the real tiime feature of the game which tracks your progress based on how much time has passed since the Mongol invasion began. It probably means that some paths won't be open to you because the window has passed. But that's cool. It allows for multiple playthroughs.

Crossing my fingers that the Covid-19 pandemic hasn't delayed it's May release date.

mr.dilya

Banned
Still isn't fucking with Sekiro.

Sekiro has a genuine feel to it in the design and overall ambiance, methodology of the storytelling, etc.

This kinda looks like what it is I guess....a bunch of white people making a Samurai game. And before someone says don't compare it to Sekiro....don't kid yourself....it's gonna happen regardless.

Shin

Banned
Japanese made vs. Japanese wannabe...in every way possible and it shows - to a point it's distracting to me.
Such a freakin' shame Japan Studios don't get to be on the same podium as NA studios and GG in terms of freedom, funding.
Can't be that they lack creativity, some of the most inspiring and creative games have came from that studio and/or Japan as a whole.

GymWolf

So your choices in the game can determine which allies join you in your war against the Mongols?

Fuck yeah sign me up. And I'm intrigued about the real tiime feature of the game which tracks your progress based on how much time has passed since the Mongol invasion began. It probably means that some paths won't be open to you because the window has passed. But that's cool. It allows for multiple playthroughs.

Crossing my fingers that the Covid-19 pandemic hasn't delayed it's May release date.
the game release date was 26 june, not may.

Reactions: Isa

Tamy

Banned
Unreal that FF7R, Last of Us 2, and Ghost are all coming for PS4 this year. What a way to close out this gen.

are you sure that Last of us 2 comes this year? because sony said its delayed indefinitely, might slip into 2021? Did sony say its coming in 2020, but they don't know exactly when?

Kokoloko85

After platinuming Sekiro I dont think anything is gonna beat that combat or sword to sword feel of that game.

As much as I liked Infamous, Im worried about Ghosts of Tsuhisma’s Melee comat and NPC interactions. Which is what Im guessing this game will rely heavily on.
Hopefully Suckerpunch can pull it off, great team but Melee and NPC’s wasn’t there strong points coming out of any of the Infamous games. But I trust them to do well. Im expecting 8‘s metacritic

I recently finished watching a mongolian /khan documentary series so would love the game to be awesome and explorable. If only it had Sekiro combat lol. Anyway, Still really looking forward to playing it on PS5

GreyHorace

So it's just Onimusha 2 but made by white people? Say no more.

This kinda looks like what it is I guess....a bunch of white people making a Samurai game. And before someone says don't compare it to Sekiro....don't kid yourself....it's gonna happen regardless.

What the hell is wrong with white people making a samurai game? I don't hear gamers complaining when a Japanese developer makes a game about an 80's style American action hero.

kojima%20615.jpg

Not to say Ghost of Tsushima can't be crap, but I'm willing to give Sucker Punch a chance. We should get rid of this notion that only people of a certain culture can portray that culture in fiction. It's limits the creativity of artists and sticks them to a box.

the game release date was 26 june, not may.

My bad. Forgot it was June.

GymWolf

This is FALSE, unfounded, do you have any source / link that mentions Ghost Of Tsushima footage you posted is running on a 1.8TF machine ?
usually the pro version only adds better resolution and more stable framerate.
every sony games is made around the base console, it's not really a secret or surprise.

but i have the suspect that you were trolling me 😆

Last edited:

GymWolf

I feel they saw sekiro and went back to the drawing board
yep, every samurai game is copying from software 😆
the games are very different in a lot of things except samurai\ninja theme and stealth stuff (present in like 90% of open world games)

also, how do you think sekiro sold in total? it's not exactly a 10 millions copies game that developers needs to copy...
also they started the develop at the beginning of the gen when sekiro was not even remotely showed...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yep, every samurai game is copying from software 😆
the game are very different in basically everything except samurai\ninja theme.

also, how do you think sekiro sold in total? it's not exactly a 10 millions copies game that developers needs to copy...
also they started the develop at the beginning of the gen when sekiro was not even remotely showed...
I don't mean bad.
If I was making a samurai game and then played sekiro... that would for sure give me some ideas

GymWolf

I don't mean bad.
If I was making a samurai game and then played sekiro... that would for sure give me some ideas
i don't know, they are not gonna copy the combat system (arguably the best and famous thing about sekiro) for the mass audience, too hard for casuals.
they are not copying the small scope, the arm mechanics, the hard difficulty (they already said that officially) or even the art style, and sekiro hardly was the first game with stealth and enemy camps.

if they copied something is probably very subtle stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

mr.dilya

Banned
What the hell is wrong with white people making a samurai game? I don't hear gamers complaining when a Japanese developer makes a game about an 80's style American action hero.

kojima%20615.jpg

Not to say Ghost of Tsushima can't be crap, but I'm willing to give Sucker Punch a chance. We should get rid of this notion that only people of a certain culture can portray that culture in fiction. It's limits the creativity of artists and sticks them to a box.

My bad. Forgot it was June.

Nothing wrong with it, I'm just saying it feels off, especially when we have the yardstick of Sekiro to compare it to. I could be wrong though.

hyperbertha

After platinuming Sekiro I dont think anything is gonna beat that combat or sword to sword feel of that game.

As much as I liked Infamous, Im worried about Ghosts of Tsuhisma’s Melee comat and NPC interactions. Which is what Im guessing this game will rely heavily on.
Hopefully Suckerpunch can pull it off, great team but Melee and NPC’s wasn’t there strong points coming out of any of the Infamous games. But I trust them to do well. Im expecting 8‘s metacritic

I recently finished watching a mongolian /khan documentary series so would love the game to be awesome and explorable. If only it had Sekiro combat lol. Anyway, Still really looking forward to playing it on PS5
Name of documentary pls? I'm interested

GymWolf

...........No i'm not.
well then i don0t understaind your objection, we can wait and see if the graphics are for real, finger crossed, but sony usually don't downgrade their game too much and it baffles me that people don't believe sony first party devs in terms of graphics.
the game is not even remotely next-gen looking or even better looking than rdr2 to begin with.

Last edited:

Tamy

Banned
Could use a new gameplay video. When was the alst time the released a fresh new one that didnt reuse footage of what we've already seen?

I think the last time we saw gameplay was at e3 2018:

but this was scripted and no HUD. Don't know how representative it was, that's why I was looking for new gameplay.

Or did someone else find new gameplay? Couldn't find anything, except this old e3 demo from 2018.

Bartski

Gold Member
I really hope the only inspiration they got from Sekiro is some kind of advanced reflex-based set of block/evade/parry mechanics, here to allow a successfully landed sword strike turn the tides of a battle

Last edited:

iNvid02

Looks cool but a giant backlog and next gen approaching means it'll probably get a PS5 edition, or maybe even a PC release

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Sekiro has a genuine feel to it in the design and overall ambiance, methodology of the storytelling, etc.

Fuck Sekiro. Sick of the endless FROM dick-riding, they do not have a monopoly on that style of game.

Nioh got there first and did it better.

well then i don0t understaind your objection, we can wait and see if the graphics are for real, finger crossed, but sony usually don't downgrade their game too much and it baffles me that people don't believe sony first party devs in terms of graphics.
the game is not even remotely next-gen looking or even better looking than rdr2 to begin with.
I'm asking you where did you get that "this is running on 1.8TF", we surely can wait for the PS4 reveal to make the comparison, it baffles me too when i see someone believing this is running on a 1.8TF.

I think the last time we saw gameplay was at e3 2018:

but this was scripted and no HUD. Don't know how representative it was, that's why I was looking for new gameplay.

Or did someone else find new gameplay? Couldn't find anything, except this old e3 demo from 2018.

Kokoloko85

lol, guess from what place i copied this post:

Mongol horde... brutal Mongol invasion..

does the game depict Mongols as inhuman savages or something? if so im out.

You should check out the history. Most humans were savages back then And in nature are.
Monghol’s beheaded and raped millions of people and showed it off lol and worse. How would you want them to be shown?
They didnt conquer most the world with flowers and negotiations. They starved out cities and sacked them. Went back weeks later to make sure the survivors were raped and killed again.
Of course they were inteliigent and strategic but savage in war and nature non the less.

At that time Japan hadn’t ventured out and kept to themselves.
Also depends on your take of savage. You can be tribal, savage and intelligent. And the monghols were all of those things.

GymWolf

I'm asking you where did you get that "this is running on 1.8TF", we surely can wait for the PS4 reveal to make the comparison, it baffles me too when i see someone believing this is running on a 1.8TF.
dude are you for real?

99% of ps4 pro game have the same assets, same physics, same number of npc on screen, same textures etc.

the game is gonna be exactly the same on base ps4 at 1080p and less solid framerate.

i have nothing to prove because since ps4 pro come out, these were the differences between base and pro console.

if after many and many gorgeous games from sony studios, you can't believe at their graphic output is your problem and not related with facts and reality.

this is just another proof of how good sony studios are with graphics...
and like i said, overall it doens't even look better than rdr2 to me and that game has to run on a 1.3 tf gpu on xone, so i don't understand your point...

Last edited:

GymWolf

You should check out the history. Most humans were savages back then And in nature are.
Monghol’s beheaded and raped millions of people and showed it off lol and worse. How would you want them to be shown?
They didnt conquer most the world with flowers and negotiations. They starved out cities and sacked them. Went back weeks later to make sure the survivors were raped and killed again.
Of course they were inteliigent and strategic but savage in war and nature non the less.

At that time Japan hadn’t ventured out and kept to themselves.
Also depends on your take of savage. You can be tribal, savage and intelligent. And the monghols were all of those things.
you probably missed the point of my post, i was poking fun at reeeeeeee and their judgemental soy stuff...
i don't have to search anything because i don't have nothing against mongols being depiced as savages. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Nothing wrong with it, I'm just saying it feels off, especially when we have the yardstick of Sekiro to compare it to. I could be wrong though.

Sekiro is not the only game in the market set in feudal Japan. Just this year Nioh 2 was released which was a sequel to the first game released in 2018.

I just think we should stop with this silly notion that people can't make a game of another country's culture. That didn't stop the Japanese from making a bunch of games set in the American Wild West:

large.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

latest

682835-929592_20050825_006.jpg

On the flipside, Jordan Mechner is a white guy from New York who got his start making a game about Karate and found greater success later on with a title set in Persia:

nexusae0_Karateka-Banner.png

131334.png

dude are you for real?

99% of ps4 pro game have the same assets, same physics, same number of npc on screen, same textures etc.

the game is gonna be exactly the same on base ps4 at 1080p and less solid framerate.

i have nothing to prove because since ps4 pro come out, these were the differences between base and pro console.

if after many and many gorgeous games from sony studios, you can't believe at their graphic output is your problem and not related with facts and reality.

this is just another proof of how good sony studios are with graphics...
and like i said, overall it doens't even look better than rdr2 to me and that game has to run on a 1.3 tf gpu on xone, so i don't understand your point...
We just have to wait for the PS4 release to compare the graphics, can't argue about it, i either get Reply ban, Warning or a ban from the Mods, apparently you can't debate Sony.

GymWolf

We just have to wait for the PS4 release to compare the graphics, can't argue about it, i either get Reply ban, Warning or a ban from the Mods, apparently you can't debate Sony.
yep, except for 1\3 of my post in here where i trolled and shitted hard on sony, you really picked the wrong guy this time...

and nobody is gonna ban you if you think otherwise, we are not on reeeee, you can chill my dude.

let's wait and see.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nope you got me wrong, i wasn't talking about you, "apparently people can't argue about Sony" is what i meant to say.
you can talk shit about sony if it's a sincere sentiment and not blind haterism.
i shit on sony a lot and never get banned because i know to not cross some lines.

sorry if i sounded like a fanboy, i was just stating facts about sony studios being graphic wizards and differences between consoles.

Top Bottom