• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ALL of these “Direct” shows SUCK. PERIOD.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Need to get Balmer in there to school these youngsters on how to hype the crowd
DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

Even if was kinda scary, was better than TV TV TV

@thread
Nintendo started and they perfected the whole thing. It's great, but one thing shouldn't kill the other. We saw in E3 2016 when they did a direct and the show floor was basically Zelda exclusive and people run like a crackhead in a Meth Lab. It was great.

I care about the live show mostly because it was a thing here and there, with lots of surprises, and lots of people just having the same good time as you. Now we are loosing a lot of personal communication by the minute, and a lot of people don't know how to separate the things between the online and the personal

You can't go with your friends to have a emotional moment with a lot of people that think the same all around you. You will never share something like this:
IAkAPwq.gif

Have to pick a game on a store and talk with a strange about gaming? Gone. Sellers now are just sellers, not gamers. Game stores have a lot of stuff, and only the games that have massive marketing, not a niche game. Also, in a not so distant future even fucking buying from Amazon will be a limited thing and everything will be downloadable only

This sucks

I thought it was fine. And who cares about the verbiage. Does the game look good, are they giving you the information on the game that you need in order to know if you’re interested or not? I dunno why the style of the delivery matters. It’s a game, buy it or don’t buy it.

Sorry you’re so upset!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Be thankful they’ve almost entirely killed off the random celebrity selling you dick pills on stage and not talking games at all.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
What everyone in the industry, including Nintendo, don't get about directs is that they need someone genuinely excited to be there to present the games. These days, it's just a PR machine by either soulless actors or devs uncomfortable with the camera.

Directs died with Iwata😔.

I thought the Xbox direct was great. Personally I feel more invested about upcoming games when I hear the passion and excitement from the developers. Rather than a 2min trailer with zero context or explanation of what you can expect. Keep ‘Em coming I say 😎
Show me the games...atleast 10-15 minutes of gameplay not vistas of the suroundings and to long parts from to the developers doing theyr PR talk. Its al dandy to talk a few minutes with developers but as a gamer i want to see long parts of gameplay of the games i intrested in.

Last edited:

Toons

E3 was an outdated model that took a large portion of the product rollout out of the hands of the very people producing the product and was highly susceptible to faux pas and memorable screwups that sketches drew more attention than the games themselves.

Its not coming back, the big guys have no real reason to want it back.

MarkMe2525

I don't agree at all. Yesterday's show was to the point and didn't overwhelm. We got a good look at what was presented and each game had a reasonable amount of time to shine. Lastly, you don't have to watch them.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The directs doesn’t suck necessarily. You probably just don’t like the games shown.

The advantage of E3 is that while a single show may suck you have like a dozen more to watch over the course of the event. Compile all the games you are only interested in and it’ll feel like E3 is great overall.
The thing with E3 was it was like the Coliseum. Even with Nintendo Directs, it was a bloody fight to the death. It was perfect in that respect. The Game Awards is completely different. There isn't that kind of competition vibe.

Jakk

The directs doesn’t suck necessarily. You probably just don’t like the games shown.

The advantage of E3 is that while a single show may suck you have like a dozen more to watch over the course of the event. Compile all the games you are only interested in and it’ll feel like E3 is great overall.
I actually kind of liked the games shown. What I didn't like was the constant talking and trying to act like they are super cool and relatable. You could just feel the super sterile corporate environment.

I prefer live events which at least have some soul. And I agree with your point about E3. That was the best thing about it, all events concentrated in a week you can look forward to. Even if most of it was shit, there always was something that interested me. I feel like the only show worth watching now is TGA, and still most of the time it doesn't come close to E3.

BuddyLaDouche

Neo Member
Once the gaming companies realized they could do their own thing and not have to compete for headlines, the direct model die was cast. I don't anticipate they ever see the benefit of going back. Now in terms of directs becoming worse and worse in terms of quality, I agree with that completely. They've been VERY underwhelming since the PS5/XSX Pre-launch shows. The gaming industry has matured to the point where it's no longer the people who love games the most steering the messaging. We've got shareholder interests and PR departments filtering what info goes out and when it goes out. It's SIGNIFICANTLY less fun this way. I don't think it'll ever go back now that the money has become so big and is clearly in charge.

Kabelly

Doesn't help that the live presentations would get leaked prior anyways. With how fast words travels on the internet it's better for these companies to drop their trailers when no one is looking.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't agree at all. Yesterday's show was to the point and didn't overwhelm. We got a good look at what was presented and each game had a reasonable amount of time to shine. Lastly, you don't have to watch them.
I think some people enjoy the "drama" around E3 conference more than actual game announcements.....I personally only care about actual games they announce, it doesn't really matter how they announce it.

AGRacing

Once the gaming companies realized they could do their own thing and not have to compete for headlines, the direct model die was cast. I don't anticipate they ever see the benefit of going back. Now in terms of directs becoming worse and worse in terms of quality, I agree with that completely. They've been VERY underwhelming since the PS5/XSX Pre-launch shows. The gaming industry has matured to the point where it's no longer the people who love games the most steering the messaging. We've got shareholder interests and PR departments filtering what info goes out and when it goes out. It's SIGNIFICANTLY less fun this way. I don't think it'll ever go back now that the money has become so big and is clearly in charge.

This is a sharp take.

Last edited:

Audiophile

E3 would have done well to segment itself into a twice a year event a few months either side of the old May slot. Each intrinsically smaller but with the same style and vibe; and 2-3 days each. It'd allow devs two opportunities to not miss the deadline for announcements or showcasing their games with most only going to one event or the other.

E3 Q1 Show (Feb)
E3 Q3 Show (July)

Or "E1" & "E3"..?! ¬_¬

I think the issue was less cost and more the fact that if they weren't ready to show something then that was it.. Leading to bullshit showcases, underwhelming showcases or major crunch for good showcases. Now with the way things are they have control over the timing.

I think pre-recorded Showcases are fine for smaller titles, peripherals and general brand/platform/service updates. And State Of Plays are great for showing something off more in-depth nearer to release. But for announcements there was nothing like a big event. Plonking down with some snacks and watching the conferences was a yearly bit of downtime I'd usually plan for. I'd often arrange time off, do a few other things around it then just relax and see all the exciting new stuff. Having it all in one place was great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom