• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI George Carlin

E-Cat

The text-to-voice is pretty good, captures his essence.

Was the material written by a human or a chatbot? It doesn't sound like ChatGPT, what with the profanity and political incorrectness. Maybe Grok?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm listening to this right now. The comedy isn't bad, but certainly not Carlin-tier. But holy shit, the AI voice is probably the best I've ever heard. It's got his cadence, inflections, and even mic popping as if I'm really listening to Carlin. This is tripping me out.

E-Cat

You can't think of any other reason she might not like this?
Nothing is sacred, individual identity is gone, blablabla. The faster people rip off the band-aid and adapt to this new world, the better. I've been thinking about the implications since GPT-2.

You can't think of any other reason she might not like this?
It sounds nothing like him. Not in voice, not in tone, and not in writing. So at least there's that.

I'm listening to this right now. The comedy isn't bad, but certainly not Carlin-tier. But holy shit, the AI voice is probably the best I've ever heard. It's got his cadence, inflections, and even mic popping as if I'm really listening to Carlin. This is tripping me out.
Are you not that familiar with Carlin? Because to me, this sounds almost nothing like him. Are you going by memory and haven't heard very much Carlin? Have you not heard the AI clips of the Presidents playing Call of Duty or Apex Legends? Those are way more believable in terms of voice replication than this was.

In time, AI will create a better Carlin than Carlin ever was.

AI will never be capable of creating a better Carlin, because Carlin challenged the establishment, and AI will always be shackled by the establishment. Are there any sections of this that actually challenged establishment views? I skimmed it a bit, and it all seemed very mainstream.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Are you not that familiar with Carlin? Because to me, this sounds almost nothing like him. Are you going by memory and haven't heard very much Carlin? Have you not heard the AI clips of the Presidents playing Call of Duty or Apex Legends? Those are way more believable in terms of voice replication than this was.
I’ve seen all his specials, but it’s been a while. I dunno, seemed pretty spot on, but my memory might be shitty. I actually specifically thought it sounded way better than those presidential AI videos. 🤷‍♀️

Roxkis_ii

Never watched any George Carlin specials before, only seen clips, but this was pretty good. I watched the whole thing and I couldn't tell it was AI at all if I wasn't watching the video.

I don't have a problem with AI content as long as it's labeled as such. People are apprehensive to new technology as always, but the next generation probably won't even care.

badblue

Episode 2 GIF by The Simpsons

I listened to a few minutes. It sounds like him and says things he might say, but it lacks the soul.

I'd have more respect for the material if a real person was acting as Carlin and telling the jokes.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
It sounds like George Carlin from various ages mashed up into one when it should have been just from his latest works. True Carlin would also focus on the fact it’s an AI and skewer the whole thing first and foremost.

E-Cat

AI will never be capable of creating a better Carlin, because Carlin challenged the establishment, and AI will always be shackled by the establishment. Are there any sections of this that actually challenged establishment views? I skimmed it a bit, and it all seemed very mainstream.
It will be impossible to shackle a superintelligence.

Note: I said "will", not "is".

It lacks his comedic timing, exaggerated delivery, storytelling, and transitions between jokes. The content is also more depressing than humorous. This kind of material was used by him to bring contrast to the absurdity of life. This is closer to an atheist rant.

Last edited:

Mistake

Episode 2 GIF by The Simpsons

I listened to a few minutes. It sounds like him and says things he might say, but it lacks the soul.
This is more or less how I felt about it. Like most of the material seems like it might be something he would do, but still not him and doesn't sit right. Not a bad attempt though

Last edited:

Ownage

The voice sounds like Biden. It was formulaic and worth dismissing for now. Show me this when it's 3x as good and this will be both impressive and very concerning.

Last edited:

Mistake

Quoting myself for anyone who watched most or all of this, because I'm genuinely curious about the above question.
When he started talking about guns that was probably when the whole skit started falling apart to me. Like sure, carlin might make a jab on it, but I don't think he would put himself on one side or the other like that. The bit at the end tries to salvage things.

For an early attempt, this certainly wasn't bad though

I’ve seen all his specials, but it’s been a while. I dunno, seemed pretty spot on, but my memory might be shitty. I actually specifically thought it sounded way better than those presidential AI videos. 🤷‍♀️
That's interesting. Maybe it's just easier for some people to hear. I've always been pretty good about recognizing a lot of singers, even if I don't know the song. But I also know some people who are really bad at that sort of thing.

E-Cat

The AI future is looking bleak. Soulless shit.
Five years ago AI couldn’t even write a coherent paragraph. This very specific point in time is not the end of the line.

I just heard a rumour Kuwait is buying 700,000 B100s (NVIDIA next-gen) for a gigawatt installation. Do you have any idea how many orders of magnitude that is above current capacity?

KrakenIPA

AI stand-up always seems to be able to cram a joke about robots taking our jobs into their act. I like the idea that AI can make fun of itself, but what happens when they run out of material? Do they move to LA and drive Uber until they can break out?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I don't know why but after listening to AI or using Dall-E to generate 'art', I always feel dirty, like I need to take a shower. It's just soulless.

DKehoe

Nothing is sacred, individual identity is gone, blablabla. The faster people rip off the band-aid and adapt to this new world, the better. I've been thinking about the implications since GPT-2.
So if someone made a shitty video using the likeness of your dead relative and used it to generate clicks you'd be fine with it?

YCoCg

So if someone made a shitty video using the likeness of your dead relative and used it to generate clicks you'd be fine with it?
Dude already admitted he's a tech bro, he's probably waiting to mint his dead relatives as NFTs already.

E-Cat

I'd accept it, because then it would be happening to everyone else's dead relatives, too.

We're probably gonna have a panoply of simulations of dead people, anyway, because the remaining relatives will want to talk to a facsimile of them for comfort. It will be nothing out of the ordinary.

DKehoe

I'd accept it, because then it would be happening to everyone else's dead relatives, too.

We're probably gonna have a panoply of simulations of dead people, anyway, because the remaining relatives will want to talk to a facsimile of them for comfort. It will be nothing out of the ordinary.
But if I want to take a living celebrity's likeness and use it to make money (they're linking to their merch store in the description) I can't without their permission So why is it different when the person is dead?

Also, a relative wanting to have a simulation of a dead relative for their comfort and someone with no links to that person wanting to use their likeness for profit are two different things.

Last edited:

E-Cat

But if I want to take a living celebrity's likeness and use it to make money (they're linking to their merch store in the description) I can't. without their permission So why is it different when the person is dead?

Also, a relative wanting to have a simulation of a dead relative for their comfort and someone with no links to that person wanting to use their likeness for profit are two different things.
You're right, I'd be pissed about them linking to a merch store. There's a lot of issues around copyright that are yet to be solved.

Top Bottom