• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AdoredTV: PS5 & XSX Analysis Video

AdoredTV hittin' us up with a next-gen analysis video. Been waiting for this (would make his the fourth: DF, NX Gamer, Moore's Law Is Dead and now AdoredTV. Waiting on you, Coreleks ;) )

Summary of his thoughts (some of my own thoughts on them thrown in from time to time, too):

>Never thought a next-gen system would use HBM2; too cost-prohibitive (I was hinting at this by saying the 16GB $120 estimates for HBM2 were just that: estimates. Not actual sell-prices. HBM2E was WAY out of the question because SK Hynix and Samsung have been on record saying their clients don't mind "paying a premium" for that memory)

>Never thought either next-gen system would use a 384-bit memory bus; would be significantly large on 7nm and require too much memory to saturate (even with the 320-bit bus in XSX MS had to go split 2 GB/1 GB chips. Also feels like a much better assessment on the XSX using 320-bit bus than Moore's Law Is Dead's take which, well, didn't make too much sense IMO xD)

>Feels a 256-bit memory bus is too small for next-gen APUs (maybe he's referring in terms of scaling to the GPU's actual performance levels? So maybe he feels a 256-bit bus for something like PS5 is fine, but would've been too small for something like XSX?)

>Always felt the Github leaks were right (can't argue with that; they were)

>Feels the split bandwidth speed pool in XSX was a cost-saving measure while still ensuring bandwidth requirements were met.

>Feels both systems are on 7nm enhanced process.

>Not anything from the video itself, but in it there's a part of Cerny's speech played and when he's talking about the GPU, he says "With PS5, the GPU was definitely the most area we felt the most tension, between adding new features, and keeping a familiar programming model."

We already know Cerny said there were features from the GPU they felt could be cut to f.it their PS5 target, so (this is my own speculation), there MIGHT be certain advanced features from PS5 GPU that are missing there, but could be present in the XSX's GPU. What those features are is anyone's guess though. However, this might become noticeable depending on exactly what features Sony decided to cut from their GPU that MS decided to keep in theirs.

>Seems quite impressed with the potential of Sony's SSD, though there's a bit of caution.

>While he acknowledges the smaller SSD in PS5 (compared to XSX) is a cost-saving choice, feels it was the preferable choice since it means having a drive that's over 2x faster thanks to Sony's proprietary flash memory controller.

>Feels that in a way, the PS5 can be seen as being chiplet-based. The main custom chip has three different elements: the CPU, GPU, and Flash memory I/O complex (which actually looks bigger than the CPU and GPU portions if you look at the graphic from the presentation!).

The I/O complex includes two co-processors (Coherency Engines; speculates they might be ARM or Jaguar-based), Overall tho, he doesn't think it meets the requirements to be considered an actual chiplet design.

>Surmises PS5's Geometry Engine is a rebranding of AMD RDNA2 tech

>Caught the specific mention by Cerny that PS5's RT will be based on AMD's PC initiatives. But goes into speculating something some folks may not like, because AMD's RT initiatives are strongly tied to Microsoft's DXR initiatives.

Could mean AMD has some other RT strategy they haven't shown, but that would be odd of them to show off their first RT around MS's DXR with an (admittedly garish) RT tech demo.

>Surmises Sony's intersection engine is a rebranding of AMD's fixed-function BVH traversal hardware in RDNA2

>Goes into the data-mining on PS5 chips and Github leak after this; basically same stuff we already know, but it does show that info on Oberon popped up (albeit without CU counts) a good while before the Github leak actually came out.

>Agrees with Cerny's focus on higher clocks allowing for faster rasterization, cache etc. performance, but feels shader unit count is the more reliable metric for computational performance (as long as there's no bottleneck at front end; i.e memory bandwidth I'd assume, or CPU power (like XBO and PS4 this gen).

Essentially, feels that while Cerny's right to a degree, he might be overemphasizing the bandwidth/saturation feed problem to the GPUs, particularly the RDNA2 ones, because while GCN DID have those bottlenecking problems, AMD's seemingly fixed the majority of it with RDNA1, let alone RDNA2 (which both systems are using). Could mean keeping the larger XSX GPU fed won't be much of an issue (but it would still be harder to do vs. PS5).

>Feels like Sony may've gambled on AMD being unable to improve the frontend with RDNA2, therefore building the APU's GPU around very high clocks. But with AMD having actually significantly improved the frontend, it might've meant Sony missed out on building a larger chip instead.

>Feels PS5's GPU's high clocks (which were actually held back due to power reasons) will be very good for AMD's upcoming GPU cards in the PC space.

>Feels both companies pushed their respective GPUs to the limit, but thinks MS made the smarter call this time around (wider, slower, and gambling on frontend improvements to RDNA2 which have actually materialized. Sony seemingly wasn't as confident in AMD's ability to improve the frontend and went with a narrower chip clocked quite faster, but with less shader performance).

>Surmises Sony decided very early on (probably around the time PS4 Pro development was wrapping up IMO) to go with a 36 CU GPU. That would fit with the Ariel and Oberon chips (even if I was thinking a later Oberon revision had a larger CU count).

>Brings up some comparison between PS5 BC (somewhat outdated info in his part, he's going by the Top 100 games thing when Sony put out the tweet hinting it's more than those games compatible, but they still have a ways to go before launch) and XSX BC (also a bit outdated info on his part; MS's doing a lot of the same compatibility testing as Sony, but has many more games already confirmed compatible. Also unlike Sony, MS's BC brings further enhancements to games like HDR support).

>Doesn't feel final game benchmarks will show a massive lead for MS, but feels they'll still be ahead in majority of game titles.

>Thinks MS has performance advantage in RT; not just due to a larger chip (RT on RDNA is CU-bound), but because devs on XSX will use DXR. Sony will need their own RT API stack or else devs would have to code "to-the-metal" for RT on PS5. Which sounds highly impractical, so I'm almost certain Sony has their own RT API in development.

>Agrees with literally everyone else, with Sony having the better SSD. In fact, figuring the controller probably wasn't cheap, if Sony did decide on a 36 CU GPU from the start, it might've been due to their plans for the SSD the whole time.

>Overall, is more impressed with what MS have accomplished with XSX, but he's still very interested in the PS5, both in picking one up and to see how games will utilize its strengths, particularly the SSD.

>Sees the high chance both systems will sell at similar MSRP, and that even with the differences in specs in a lot of areas, Sony should be okay selling at an MSRP similar to XSX due to brand power, though he at least hopes (and thinks) both systems should do very well next-gen.

------

Anyways, thought it was worth sharing to have a discussion. How do you guys and gals feel about their analysis and/or what else you've got to add? 👍

We are discussing that yesterday SonGoku SonGoku .

“AMD having actually significantly improved the frontend”

I could not find anything yesterday about AMD having improved the frontend.
AdoredTV is claiming it now (he used to make false claims before).

Why do you think AMD would be unable to improve the frontend, yet could improve linear performance scaling for RDNA2 GPUs? Frontend improvements would benefit Sony as well, and clock frequencies being higher might not mean too much if the frontend is still heavily bottlenecked.

Goliathy

Banned
though he at least hopes (and thinks) both systems should do very well next-gen.

I agree, this is the best outcome for all of us.

>Feels like Sony may've gambled on AMD being unable to improve the frontend with RDNA2, therefore building the APU's GPU around very high clocks. But with AMD having actually significantly improved the frontend, it might've meant Sony missed out on building a larger chip instead.

what? really? Maybe PS5 was indeed scheduled for 2019?

Last edited:
>Thinks MS has performance advantage in RT; not just due to a larger chip (RT on RDNA is CU-bound), but because devs on XSX will use DXR. Sony will need their own RT API stack or else devs would have to code "to-the-metal" for RT on PS5. Which sounds highly impractical, so I'm almost certain Sony has their own RT API in development.

This is an aspect I’m very interested in learning more about. Just how much will RT will be a factor this gen it’s all said a done?

ethomaz

Banned
Why do you think AMD would be unable to improve the frontend, yet could improve linear performance scaling for RDNA2 GPUs? Frontend improvements would benefit Sony as well, and clock frequencies being higher might not mean too much if the frontend is still heavily bottlenecked.
I ever said AND is unable to improve the front end?

I said there is nothing about that from AMD yet... we are discussing if there are front end improvements in RDNA2 yesterday that is basically a minor improvements to GCN with the same limitations.

I won’t be surprise he is just guessing as AMD did not share anything about the subject.

Last edited:
I ever said AND is unable to improve the front end?

Okay my mistake; you were just asking why you couldn't find any info on it. Maybe they'll talk about it at some point in the future. But, I don't think lack of specific info from them on it doesn't mean the problem is still there.

They didn't mention anything explicit about improved linear scaling performance at higher clocks, either, but Sony felt good enough on that to mention it in their presentation.

This is an aspect I’m very interested in learning more about. Just how much will RT will be a factor this gen it’s all said a done?

That is...an incredibly interesting profile avatar :LOL:

I think we can pretty much assume that was the case. It might've worked out better in a way because we weren't dealing with this Corona BS back then. Now we've got to worry if the systems will even come out this year :S

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Okay my mistake; you were just asking why you couldn't find any info on it. Maybe they'll talk about it at some point in the future. But, I don't think lack of specific info from them on it doesn't mean the problem is still there.

They didn't mention anything explicit about improved linear scaling performance at higher clocks, either, but Sony felt good enough on that to mention it in their presentation.

Actually AMD even inflated the linear scaling performance at high clocks with that “50% increase perf. per watt over RDNA”.

There are IPC improvements too but maybe not big enough to be in slide.

Actually AMD even inflated the linear scaling performance at high clocks with that “50% increase perf. per watt over RDNA”.

There are IPC improvements too but maybe not big enough to be in slide.

Yeah, I doubt perf-per-watt improvement in RDNA2 over RDNA1 is 50%. But I'd like to think they didn't overly inflate that number, because I'd think MS and Sony would be kind of upset if the actual number were way lower (plus it'd bode worst for AMD vs. Nvidia in the next round of GPUs).

Personally I think the IPC improvement is around 10% - 15% over RDNA1. But that's just me guessing.

ethomaz

Banned
RDNA has massive IPC improvements over GCN. About 40% Vs Polaris and about 30% over Vega.
Yeap but we are talking about RDNA to RDNA 2 that are what these consoles uses.

AMD said in the streaming that there is IPC improvements but they didn’t give any number.

They just shot the “50% perf. watt increase over RDNA”... that added to 50% over GCN.

Last edited:

Its not just my lifestyle....its my deathstyle....

giphy.gif

Last edited:
perf-per-watt is not tied to frequency only

if they don't have it for their gpu....nvidia will stay the king

Well, that might be a dire outlook. I want a more competitive AMD so that Nvidia can't keep price-gouging and whatnot.

IIRC RDNA2 is set up for DUV, enhanced, and EUV. Unless I'm getting my terminology wrong and enhanced is EUV (any clarifications here?). Because from there they seem to be speeding to 5nm for RDNA3, and that is the one probably being aimed specifically at Ampere (whereas RDNA2 might be targeting some Ampere, but mainly focused on Turing).

Its not just my lifestyle....its my deathstyle....

giphy.gif

This is like one of the best "You are NOT the father!" reactions ever if it were on Maury :LOL:

Thanks a lot. Very informative and reasonable. I'm subscribing to this guy.

They're one of my favorite channels for tech analysis, especially on the AMD front. You'll get a lot of mileage outta them.

Last edited:

SonGoku

We were discussing scaling up the number of SEs or alternatively beef them up proportionally to the CU count increase
AMD needs this to avoid hitting diminishing returns with big cards and utilize them efficiently

This guy is faker than a vetted gaf insider. he used to say Navi was awful and no amd engineers wanted to work on it.

He is shocking.

Adored is clueless as usual. One of the most dishonest and confused 'tech personalities' on the net.

No, Cerny specifically said it was a design choice to go 'fast and narrow' with the design, amd everything fits around that. Much higher clocks on fewer, better utilised CUs is their play.

Last edited:
He is shocking.

Adored is clueless as usual. One of the most dishonest and confused 'tech personalities' on the net.

No, Cerny specifically said it was a design choice to go 'fast and narrow' with the design, amd everything fits around that. Much higher clocks on fewer, better utilised CUs is their play.

How so? Does having fewer CUs automatically make them “better utilized?”

Lone Wolf

Naturally it is harder to fill every one of those 52 CUs with work compared to 36, as Cerny explained:

"it's easier to fully use 36 CUs in parallel than it is to fully use 48 CUs - when triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work."
his example was based on the 36 and 48 having the same TFlops. It’s the only way to directly compare.

MarkMe2525

Cerny specifically said it was a design choice to go 'fast and narrow' with the design, amd everything fits around that. Much higher clocks on fewer, better utilised CUs is their play.

I believe he is saying the same thing. Sony thought their best bet was 40cu's when looking at the roadmap. This is similar to MS betting that 8gb of gddr5 would be cost prohibitive in 2013.

Sony knowing this, improved upon the other things in the console to get the most out of the hardware as possible. Hence the higher clocks, etc..

Shin

Banned
Thought the he never see that size bus in next gen consoles when referring to XSX
but feels the PS5 bus is too small?
GTX 2070 uses a 256-bit bus and have the same bandwidth (448GB/s), it can do 4K+-, but it's not coupled with an SSD that fast.
As you might know bus width is like a car lanes where data passes through, what happens when too much data tries to pass through a small tunnel?
I am surprised myself, initially thought it would be around 320 - 384 (larger bus = more expensive SoC) so that's partially the reason also I reckon.

47113704_303.jpg

Last edited:
How so? Does having fewer CUs automatically make them “better utilized?”

AFAIK, having fewer CUs per shader engine should lead to better utilisation as the fixed function parts of the shader engine are more likely to keep them busy (fewer CUs for each SE to serve). Navi has 2 shader engines, but I'd guess the PS5 has 4 in order to maintain PS4 Pro compatibility. XSX will have 4 too. It's a balance though - too few CUs per SE and you're wasting die area and power.

There's more to it than just that though - things like cache size, bw and latency all factor in. We don't know much about the PS5 or XSX at this kind of low level though.

One thing we do know in the XSX's favour is that it has more BW, more memory channels and quite possibly more L1 and L2 GPU cache (I think L2 GPU cache is tied to bus width). And in terms of small polys, there are various ways to alter mesh detail so you can keep at more optimal levels of utilisation. MS have just unveiled DX12 ultimate with Mesh Shaders, which will be supported by XSX.

Sacred

Naturally it is harder to fill every one of those 52 CUs with work compared to 36, as Cerny explained:

"it's easier to fully use 36 CUs in parallel than it is to fully use 48 CUs - when triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work."

Yet as Adored stated, the rasterization is most dependent on the number of shaders not the clock speed difference per CU.

Thought the he never see that size bus in next gen consoles when referring to XSX
but feels the PS5 bus is too small?
s-0f862210639cce28a7a57e876d87955ff2047368.gif

So what was he expecting?

No I think he's under the impression that, HBM notwithstanding, it comes down to the size of the GPU. So 256-bit would be a good size for PS5's GPU, but too small for XSX because it's a physically larger GPU, needs more bandwidth in the memory to keep it fed.

his example was based on the 36 and 48 having the same TFlops. It’s the only way to directly compare.

Was his example predicated on just that, or also architecturally speaking? I.e 36 CUs RDNA2 being more efficient at being fed with wide enough memory bandwidth to keep it fed vs. 48 CU GCN?

Last edited:

Anything he says has to be taken with a grain of salt he is a salesman. "How about turning your character in a 1/2 a second." Good luck with that.
He has to say that because he stuck with 36cu, It's actually harder to get 36Cus filled with the work that needs to be done for higher Resolution, Just ask Microsoft with 12cu.
That's just PR of course everyone wants more Cus. Are you saying that PS6 will be 36cu?

I watched it earlier today. Quite a balanced video, but, not many new things.

True; it's gonna be hard to get any super-new perspectives until MS and Sony go a bit more into the lower-level customizations they've done. But it's still good to have some balanced perspectives like this to look at.

Anything he says has to be taken with a grain of salt he is a salesman. "How about turning your character in a 1/2 a second." Good luck with that.
He has to say that because he stuck with 36cu, It's actually harder to get 36Cus filled with the work that needs to be done for higher Resolution, Just ask Microsoft with 12cu.
That's just PR of course everyone wants more Cus. Are you saying that PS6 will be 36cu?

That's a part of things some are glossing over; we know Cerny is proud of what they've accomplished but there's also obvious compromises to the design as well, as with the XSX. But I think looking at things as a whole, I'd agree with AdoredTV in that MS's built the better overall machine, and not just because of TFs for purposes related to graphics, actually.

With me it's more to think about what GPGPU features they can push forward with the system and also standardize on PC. We got a look into what GPGPU could do with the PS4 and Sony's 1st-party titles (and some third-party); XBO a bit less so. If both systems can leverage ways to push GPGPU to new heights combined with their overall power, we'll see some amazing stuff next-gen that isn't just prettier graphics.

But due to XSX having the physically larger GPU, it's better positioned to push GPGPU this gen, same with how PS5 has the physically faster SSD, so it'll be better positioned for things like most types of texture streaming. It's gonna be pretty fun to see how the systems leverage those advantages they have very strong leads in.

SonGoku

And that is an important point that people love to ignore.
That example applies to every configuration, the GPU with less amount of CUs will get closer to full utilization than the bigger GPU. But just to make it clear this won't close the gap, obviously the SEX GPU still has more performance even if some of it is underutilized.

tryDEATH

Ray Tracing will be this generations biggest decider as it has the biggest graphical impact and XSX will have a very big advantage with more CU's and more powerful CPU. The PS5 will have to battle with RT since they are using SmartShift which allows for either maximized CPU or GPU but no both and since RT is a CPU burden.

True; it's gonna be hard to get any super-new perspectives until MS and Sony go a bit more into the lower-level customizations they've done. But it's still good to have some balanced perspectives like this to look at.

That's a part of things some are glossing over; we know Cerny is proud of what they've accomplished but there's also obvious compromises to the design as well, as with the XSX. But I think looking at things as a whole, I'd agree with AdoredTV in that MS's built the better overall machine, and not just because of TFs for purposes related to graphics, actually.

With me it's more to think about what GPGPU features they can push forward with the system and also standardize on PC. We got a look into what GPGPU could do with the PS4 and Sony's 1st-party titles (and some third-party); XBO a bit less so. If both systems can leverage ways to push GPGPU to new heights combined with their overall power, we'll see some amazing stuff next-gen that isn't just prettier graphics.

But due to XSX having the physically larger GPU, it's better positioned to push GPGPU this gen, same with how PS5 has the physically faster SSD, so it'll be better positioned for things like most types of texture streaming. It's gonna be pretty fun to see how the systems leverage those advantages they have very strong leads in.
You are not taking into account that the SSD will not help with CPU to GPU BW of only 256bits a holdover from older RDNA.

You are not taking into account that the SSD will not help with CPU to GPU BW of only 256bits a holdover from older RDNA.

That's a potential bottleneck, yes. I guess Sony is counting on the faster GPU clock to mitigate that. Though to some extent XSX will have a bit of a similar issue: the faster 560 GB/s chips are on a 192-bit bus and the slower 336 GB/s chips are on the 128-bit bus.

However since that memory can be accessed uniformily and is treated as such by the OS, it will mitigate some of that. So part of a design philosophy on MS's end for that could be to have devs pump data appropriately across the 320-bit bus via prioritizing what goes through the 192-bit 560 GB/s bus partition and what goes through the 128-bit 336 GB/s bus partition (I don't want to call them both "buses" because that would suggest a split memory pool which it is not).

That example applies to every configuration, the GPU with less amount of CUs will get closer to full utilization than the bigger GPU. But just to make it clear this won't close the gap, obviously the SEX GPU still has more performance even if some of it is underutilized.

It's an assumed conclusion, but I'd like to think MS have considered that reality and have probably been working with AMD on developing tools to help developers saturate the larger GPU more easily. It'll never quite match the ease of a smaller GPU at higher clocks, but such tools would be very beneficial for AMD's Big Navi cards, so it's a of a mutual benefit to both them and MS.

If those tools can also help with targeted GPGPU capability (even if it's tied to Direct X 12 through some proprietary means), things get very exciting on that front.

Ray Tracing will be this generations biggest decider as it has the biggest graphical impact and XSX will have a very big advantage with more CU's and more powerful CPU. The PS5 will have to battle with RT since they are using SmartShift which allows for either maximized CPU or GPU but no both and since RT is a CPU burden.

This is where I'm interested to see what Sony's API solution for RT is. AMD's seems very tightly integrated with DX12 which is Microsoft's stuff, so Sony won't be able to use that. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD and MS customized silicon in RDNA2 specifically for DX12 DXR RT, in fact MS basically mentioned something to that effect in one of the earlier blog posts.

It's something AdoredTV touched on in their vid although I don't think their idea Sony would just have devs rely on a to-the-metal implementation for RT will actually happen xD. They'll definitely have an API of some sort they'll be sharing info on sometime soon.

Last edited:
I'll say one thing tho. I agree with him on RT, I think XSX will be much ahead in that regard. PS5 APU seems really lacking with 36CUs. Also the XSX has a 25% faster RAM bandwidth (for those 10GB at least), which probably makes a lot of difference for this specifically.

CJY

Banned
He made up a lot of specs for AMD hardware that ended not being true... including some over inflacioned benchmarks results.

So the community does take him serious.
But his analyst are not bad.
Yup, AdoredTV is a hype merchant and a flop whore - I see it now.

NXgamer was far, far closer in his predictions

Isn't this guys usually full of shit?

Not from what I've seen; he caught some flack from AMD fanboys actually because of how disappointed he was in the pricing for the RDNA1 cards like 5700 XT.

As for RT, yeah I think that is an area XSX will have a noticeably bigger advantage overall. There's also the fact that Sony will need their own API to leverage it, but it remains to be seen how tightly coupled AMD's RT initiative is to MS's DXR. We know RT is CU-bound on RDNA2, but there's not a lot else we know of it.

There will be some very specific use-cases where PS5's RT is a bit more helpful, due mainly to the GPU's faster clock, though.

Just to be put things in perspective.
If PS5 bandwidth become bootleneck Xbox bandwidth will become too.

You have 448GB/s for 10.3TFs*
You have 560GB/s* for 12.1TFs

Here's something funny; if you add up XSX's two bandwidth numbers and divide by two, the average is...448. So yeah, it could potentially be a bottleneck, which is why they went with a 10GB pool set much faster, and 320-bit bus.

Still, seeing the average bandwidth be the same as PS5's is interesting. Too bad GDDR6 prices have crept up because the 2 GB / 1 GB mix was definitely a compromise on MS's part.

10x32=320-bit, 6x32=192-bit, cost and space is probably why they allocated it like that.

Yep, cost and space issues were the main culprits. Per TF, PS5 delivers a bit more bandwidth. OTOH, for at least the 10 GB pool, XSX can feed its GPU notably faster than PS5 can. I figure with smart saturation, it would still have a slight edge in bandwidth-per-CU on that 10 GB partition to feed its GPU over PS5.

Breaks down like this:

PS5: 43.6 GB per TF, 12.4 GB per CU

XSX: 36.88 GB per TF (average of 560 GB/s and 336 GB/s pools), 10.76 GB per CU (560 GB/s pool), 6.46 GB per CU (336 GB/s pool), 17.22 GB per CU (combined full 560 GB/s and 336 GB/s pools)

Yup, AdoredTV is a hype merchant and a flop whore - I see it now.

NXgamer was far, far closer in his predictions

I think that's discrediting AdoredTV a bit too much. There's a lot of value to his speculation and analysis and he's not just concerned over teraflops.

Also I think NXgamer was either a bit incorrect in the OS offloading to SSD or other people have been interpreting that the wrong way. You can't actually run the OS from the SSD, it needs sufficient speed in uncompressed state and bit/byte-level alterability in order to function properly.

NX's idea should've focused more around the concept of parts of OS code that might be needed for the user experience but go a duration of time without use, being dumped out of memory uncompressed that are either low-priority enough to not need big bandwidth (anything above PS5's 5.5 GB/s raw) to query up back into RAM, or low-priority enough that it can maybe be ran from the OS so long as the reads are only page-level at the smallest level. And those instances probably would not see the majority of the OS being shifted out of RAM, honestly.

Otherwise if it has to be compressed anyway I don't see a point since the OS info will always sit on the SSD regadless, unless maybe the idea is that it's certain configurations of data that are compressed unique to that runtime instance of the OS in a session which would have an access and time penalty to reload from their default state on the NAND (many decompress, read, modify, write steps). It could be useful in those type of cases.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
NX's idea should've focused more around the concept of parts of OS code that might be needed for the user experience but go a duration of time without use, being dumped out of memory uncompressed that are either low-priority enough to not need big bandwidth (anything above PS5's 5.5 GB/s raw) to query up back into RAM, or low-priority enough that it can maybe be ran from the OS so long as the reads are only page-level at the smallest level. And those instances probably would not see the majority of the OS being shifted out of RAM, honestly.

Otherwise if it has to be compressed anyway I don't see a point since the OS info will always sit on the SSD regadless, unless maybe the idea is that it's certain configurations of data that are compressed unique to that runtime instance of the OS in a session which would have an access and time penalty to reload from their default state on the NAND (many decompress, read, modify, write steps). It could be useful in those type of cases.

My point was the that NXGamer was a lot more accurate with his predictions prior to the release of official specs.

On the issue of the OS, he wasn't at all suggesting that the OS could be run from the SSD.

His suggestion was pure speculation and was the that the speed of PS5's SSD should technically allow Sony to free up the RAM for use in games. I think it was a quite a straightforward bit of speculation and there are a number of ways in which it could be implemented. Take a look at how iOS suspends applications for example, it takes a screenshot of the last state of the app and that is what is presented to the user first upon resuming the app and then the app resumes behind that. Cerny's point about 2GB transferring into in .27s was quite telling I feel. This is ultra-fast and might even be faster than the transition from game to home menu on current PS4.

Yep, some earlier were speculating that the whole of the OS could be shipped off into SSD, but this is impossible. The underlying OS would of course still need to be running to manage all the kernel tasks, but as it's unix based, I really feel this could be done in ~800MB, maybe 1GB tops. If Sony put some engineering behind it, they could probably get this figure down to ~500MB. I'm plucking these figures out of my ass, but I feel it's only at these levels that it would even make any sense to go down this path at all and they would need to implement this from the outset because...

There would need to be a certain portion of the RAM that is "shared" between the Game and OS, say ~3GB. When the game is active, it would have full access to 3GB of this ram, then when Home is activated, this RAM would get purged and replaced with the OS data from SSD. This 3GB figure could be reduced as the generation goes on and the OS gets more refined, like in this gen, or it could stay the same for the duration of the gen, because it shouldn't impede games anyway.

Last edited:
Yep, cost and space issues were the main culprits. Per TF, PS5 delivers a bit more bandwidth. OTOH, for at least the 10 GB pool, XSX can feed its GPU notably faster than PS5 can. I figure with smart saturation, it would still have a slight edge in bandwidth-per-CU on that 10 GB partition to feed its GPU over PS5.

Breaks down like this:

PS5: 43.6 GB per TF, 12.4 GB per CU

XSX: 36.88 GB per TF (average of 560 GB/s and 336 GB/s pools), 10.76 GB per CU (560 GB/s pool), 6.46 GB per CU (336 GB/s pool), 17.22 GB per CU (combined full 560 GB/s and 336 GB/s pools)

Yeah, your average for the XSX would need to take into account the proportion of reads to each range of memory.

E.g. if 90% of your reads/writes are from the 10GB of optimal ram, the "GB per TF" would be:

(560 x .9) + (336x.1) / 12.155 = 44.23 GB/TF. Very similar to the PS5 figure.

But this is a really simply calculation ignoring a lot of factors. For example cache sizes and cache hit rates, how effective access scheduling is etc.

Overall, per TF, the XSX and PS5 are in pretty much the the same ballpark with regards to bandwidth. Almost as if both MS and Sony kinda knew what they were doing .... ;)

SonGoku

It's an assumed conclusion, but I'd like to think MS have considered that reality and have probably been working with AMD on developing tools to help developers saturate the larger GPU more easily. It'll never quite match the ease of a smaller GPU at higher clocks, but such tools would be very beneficial for AMD's Big Navi cards, so it's a of a mutual benefit to both them and MS.

If those tools can also help with targeted GPGPU capability (even if it's tied to Direct X 12 through some proprietary means), things get very exciting on that front.
API and tools will help for sure as well as any unforeseen RDNA2 hw improvements but to get close to the level of utilization of the smaller card might still take fine grain control optimizations
Third parties aim for parity and the SEX already has the superior spec, i don't think they'll invest more in micromanaging asynchronous compute loads to get close to full utilization of the 52CUs. Just like i don't see them designing their games around PS5 SSD spec, they'll more likely target the SEX SSD.

First parties is were each console traits will show imo

BTW are lead consoles still a thing today? they were a thing during the PS360 gen, but since most big studios have different teams in charge of each console now, i wonder if that is still in effect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom