• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action platformer Blasphemous launches on September 10

Acidizer

Banned
There's a whole sword upgrade tree, I've unlocked the first tier which includes: adding an attack to sliding, plunge attack, charge attack, and extra combo hit.
Plenty of relics and rosary beads to find and equip with various effects as well.

Plunge attack, what is that?

Jumping on top of enemies?

Might be getting it. I was really interested in 2D Dark Souls games until I bought several and they were all horrible. So now I'm careful.

Edit: Well, not all, I did like Hollow Knight.

Last edited:
It hasn't quite nudged out Hollow Knight for me, but it ranks up there for sure.
My biggest beef is the tough platforming. Would be much better if missing an "instant death" jump had you respawning on the same screen with a health penalty. As it is you have to huff it back from your last altar to make another attempt. If it was tough but fair, I wouldn't mind terribly, but some of the enemy placement in those sections....

Acidizer

Banned
It hasn't quite nudged out Hollow Knight for me, but it ranks up there for sure.
My biggest beef is the tough platforming. Would be much better if missing an "instant death" jump had you respawning on the same screen with a health penalty. As it is you have to huff it back from your last altar to make another attempt. If it was tough but fair, I wouldn't mind terribly, but some of the enemy placement in those sections....

Git gud Jennifer!

You want enemy placed so as they don't cause any trouble??? Maybe they should give you health instead of attacking you as you pass?! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Like I said, my fogey reflexes might not be up to the task, BUT they're still good enough for Spelunky hell runs and Gungeon lich ass whoopings.

matheusnienow

Neo Member
I wish games like that would be released on iOS/Android, perfect for mobile gaming with a Bluetooth controller.

Last edited:
Weird name. What's blasphemous about it?
I guess I'll have to play and figure it out.

Too bad there's no option for helms with long horns.

Fbh

Really liked the demo so I'll buy it at some point.

The fact it's on GOG makes it extra appealing. Between Hollow Knight, Bloodstained and now this I love that I can slowly build a DRM free metroidvania collection

WindomURL

Spent some quality time with this last night. Definitely made me curse a lot- especially the part that C ClanOfNone has referenced, holy shit. Made me long for a health penalty rather than straight death as well. Hoofing it back, over and over again, I got irritated and sloppy, which only led to more death. Hilarious times, benny hill style.

Couple of oddities that I've noticed. One, when cancelling out of the map, the character jumps as it's the same button. No big deal, but weird. Two, when going into a downward smash attack, the character does a standard in-air attack first upon hitting the attack button, and then goes into the downward animation, so there's an uncomfortable delay every time that has occasionally made me miss the mark, tho I might just suck. Seems like a touch of jank that maybe could be patched out.

Overall, game is awesome. Get it if you've got any love for vanias or souls or what have you and support these guys.

Portugeezer

I was deciding between this and Deaths Gambit... and well, I was surprised to see Deaths Gambit is still not out on Switch.

This game looks great, can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Love this game! A good amount of challenge a couple of hours in.

But how is the challenge?

I bought death's gambit not long ago and I liked it but it was like all the sudden I was stuck because the few bosses I had to go through were suddenly way too much. I couldn't progress and it really frustrated me and I quit.

I had the same issue with salt and sanctuary about 3/4 the way through.

Kamina

Golden Boy

I bought death's gambit not long ago and I liked it but it was like all the sudden I was stuck because the few bosses I had to go through were suddenly way too much. I couldn't progress and it really frustrated me and I quit.

Git gud then
/s

The game is challenging, but not unfair.
I failed a few times at one boss but eventually made it.

Last edited:
The bosses so far are a pushover for the most part, the real challenge is in the platforming.

Keep you eyes peeled on Death's Gambit. Devs are releasing a free update that has a bunch of fixes and qol improvements that looks to fix a lot of quibbles I had with the game.

bronk

Banned
Fun game with not so fun backtracking. Id say 7/10 for me. Doesn't hold a candle to Salt and Sanctuary imo.

Roberts

The only game I ever backed on kickstarter. Playing on XOX. It's challenging in a way most metroidvanias and soulslike games are and sometimes a bit frustrating, but I make some progress every time I play it and I am far from a skilled player. Will try to finish it, because the gameplay is varied enough and It's so amazingly idiosyncratic when it comes to visuals and the overall tone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuz

Banned
The comments about tough platforming is keeping me from buying.
Not so much as tough, but really annoying and frustratingly designed. And there are some really stupid design flaws, like not seeing where the spikes (one-shot) are when you're on platforms above.
Fun game with not so fun backtracking.
Yeah, another gripe I have with the game. Backtracking is HORRIBLE and an immense chore. Teleports are too scarce and positioned in a way that makes them super useless. And you HAVE TO backtrack when you need to upgrade your skills, potions or knots. Fun-sucker.

Last edited:

WindomURL

Currently at 93% completion.

Overall, great game with a few issues here and there with some manifesting in the form of weird bugs and glitches. Nothing fatal, which is good, but I've read numerous accounts of game breaking nonsense at reddit, so beware.

As others have mentioned, traversal can be a slog due to both map design and scant teleporter placement. There are no upgrades that allow for accelerated movement, either, so you're stuck in one gear plus the slide. Hit detection isn't 100%, but it's pretty close. Platforming has been the most frequent cause of death, due to both sloppiness on my part and frustrating design choices. I understand making pits and spikes deadly, but I personally would've preferred even a severe health penalty over making a slight error, only to have to return to the point of death from the last checkpoint.

The art is a huge draw. Character design, especially that of the bosses and larger entities, is absolutely spectacular and in some cases chilling. Some very satisfying secrets to be discovered as well. For the most part it doesn't bark hints at you, which I like.

Combat is good, if a bit limited in scope. Most everything can be vanquished with standard attacks, parries, and thrusts, but it keeps you on your toes nonetheless, especially in the second half.

Arozay

Beat it with 97% completion. Probably will leave it at that.

I really enjoyed the game, I thought it was a little more on the easy side. Bosses were mostly easy, estus taking 5 minutes to drink was the real challenge. The art is pretty amazing in it, and there's some good sprite work for some one off throw away scenes which was impressive. Music was good too.

I get the platforming gripes, I hated the ledge grab and managed to softlock myself out of bounds a few times. And there were some cunty off screen placement of platforms where they'd restrict the free-look. But then they were pretty lenient with collision knockback.

Other than the above, my only other mark against the game would be stuff like limited equipped relics (why limit it) and then a bit of item bloat with the beads, prayers and sword stuff. Teleports were lacking, but things staying dead between saves kinda helped there.

Looking forward to a possible sequel.

I haven't found that area yet either. This kinda got sidelined when Borderlands and Zelda hit, I tried to pick it up again last night and promptly died on a platforming session.
I'm gonna beat you Blasphemous, but your gonna make me hate you doing it.

Portugeezer

I haven't found that area yet either. This kinda got sidelined when Borderlands and Zelda hit, I tried to pick it up again last night and promptly died on a platforming session.
I'm gonna beat you Blasphemous, but your gonna make me hate you doing it.
Yeah I found it just now, some brotherhood area, it's pretty much its own small area. I almost got there earlier in the game but died and didn't go back. It is easy to miss stuff in this game, which is great; a true metroidvania experience.

I really wish it would mark unpicked items on the map though, I have had to skip so many and can't remember all the areas.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I hate, hate, HATE map design and traversal. I just got a new skill (the blood platform thingie), I don't remember where they all were and REALLY I don't want to wander that stupid map searching for them. I also don't know where to go next and I'll probably leave the game unfinished.

And why the hell they didn't just make all the altars as teleports, instead of those badly positioned mirrors?

Portugeezer

Damn, I just finished the main boss but I know there are some areas and power ups I must have missed, definitely some sort of invisible platform shenanigans at least, and maybe a better type of jump... (can anyone confirm)

Great game, solid 8/10 from be but I don't know if I will load save and go for all items. Finished at 81% and I feel like I backtracked like a mofo, there is the bull moon painting I didn't go back to, but other than that no path unchecked unless I didn't have the means to get there via a power up...

dok1or

Old topic but yesterday game got big upgrade and free DLC - The Stir of Dawn

And very important for immersion and world - fantastic spanish voice over!!

First 25 minutes...

50193665657_7f6e822738_h.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom