• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action platformer Blasphemous launches on September 10

Mista

Banned

Action platformer Blasphemous will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC on September 10, publisher Team17 and developer The Game Kitchen announced.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
About

A foul curse has fallen upon the land of Cvstodia and all its inhabitants—it is simply known as The Miracle.

Play as The Penitent One—a sole survivor of the massacre of the “Silent Sorrow.” Trapped in an endless cycle of death and rebirth, it’s down to you to free the world from this terrible fate and reach the origin of your anguish.

Explore this nightmarish world of twisted religion and discover its many secrets hidden deep inside. Use devastating combos and brutal executions to smite the hordes of grotesque monsters and titanic bosses, all ready to rip you limb from limb. Locate and equip relics, rosary beads and prayers that call on the powers of the heavens to aid you in your quest to break your eternal damnation.

Key Features

• Explore a Non-Linear World: Overcome fearsome enemies and deadly traps as you venture through a variety of different landscapes, and search for redemption in the dark gothic world of Cvstodia.
  • Brutal Combat: Release the power of Mea Culpa, a sword born from guilt itself, to slaughter your foes. Acquire devastating new combos and special moves as you purge all in your path.
  • Executions: Unleash your wrath and relish in the gory dismemberment of your adversaries – all in beautifully rendered, pixel-perfect execution animations.
  • Customize Your Build: Discover and equip Relics, Rosary Beads, Prayers and Sword Hearts to give you the new abilities and stat boosts you need to survive. Experiment with different combinations to suit your playstyle.
  • Intense Boss Battles: Hordes of gigantic, twisted creatures stand between you and your goal. Learn how they move, survive their devastating attacks and emerge victorious.
  • Unlock the Mysteries of Cvstodia: The world is full of tormented souls. Some offer you aid, some may ask for something in return. Uncover the stories and fates of these tortured characters to gain rewards and a deeper understanding of the dark world you inhabit.
Gematsu

Tbone3336

Gold Member
Looks interesting. While platformer's are not my favorite thing this reminds me of Salt and Sanctuary a bit so will be giving this a go.

Reactions: Isa

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Any rewiew?
I couldn’t find any. I feel like they haven’t marketed this game at all. I’ve heard some positive things from players who played the demo though. Hopefully someone on here gets it and shares more info. I might get it, but there’s so many games coming out.

I'm surprised that there isn't more buzz around this, given the quality of the music and artwork and the Dark Souls influence.

Reactions: Isa
Demo was rock solid, animations and spritework are some of the best I've seen.
It did have a weird bug that made jumping down through platforms stupid hard, I'm assuming that'll be ironed out for full release.

mcjmetroid

I heard this is a great metroidvania and those games are like crack to me. So will be keeping an eye out. I also must get bloodstained though I was really hoping to get the Switch port.. but I don't think they've fixed it yet.

ultrazilla

Game is LIVE on the Xbox marketplace:

Hotspurr

Banned
I watched several reviews, game is solid but has a few fair criticisms against it. From what I've seen 8-8.5 is about right. IGN review was butthurt.

Just a wonderful looking game.

nvbSZp6.jpg

FfGWdTD.jpg

eMjwuLb.jpg

ibuAmXf.jpg

PyokKMv.jpg

wKtAABa.jpg

O8fcMv0.jpg

3FtggT1.jpg

hbMs2P8.jpg

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
Looks pretty good, maybe except the unicorn thing... WTF :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can we change the character?!

It has a platinum trophy, so could be a decent sized challenge.

WindomURL

Played it very briefly this morning on Switch, finishing the intro boss and getting a little bit past the second save. Controls are tight and responsive, reminding me of Salt & Sanctuary, except snappier. Tone and art are exemplary approaching singular. One of the more immediately oppressive atmospheres I've felt in a game, at least so far. The mutant iconography is absolutely metal, twisting Christian/gothic heritage into a screaming nightmare, in similar fashion to Bloodborne.

Pilgrim's Progress inverted, with desecration subsuming redemption.

ultrazilla

Played it very briefly this morning on Switch, finishing the intro boss and getting a little bit past the second save. Controls are tight and responsive, reminding me of Salt & Sanctuary, except snappier. Tone and art are exemplary approaching singular. One of the more immediately oppressive atmospheres I've felt in a game, at least so far. The mutant iconography is absolutely metal, twisting Christian/gothic heritage into a screaming nightmare, in similar fashion to Bloodborne.

Nice impressions WindomURL WindomURL thanks! Nice to hear that the Switch port is good. I'll grab that a little later once I wake up. How's performance?
I can't recall if it's 30fps or 60fps. Thanks!

So far, this seems like what i really wanted from Salt & Santuary. S&S was alright, but it felt really clunky and often enemies could walkthrough your animations and vise versa.

WindomURL

Nice impressions WindomURL WindomURL thanks! Nice to hear that the Switch port is good. I'll grab that a little later once I wake up. How's performance?
I can't recall if it's 30fps or 60fps. Thanks!
Thanks! You know, I didn't take note of the fps, but the little bit I played felt perfectly fluid. That may change with a lot more happening on screen.

Last edited:
Maybe it's my old man reflexes, but some of these platforming sessions are brutal. Disintegrating platforms? yup
Wind changing direction? oh yeah
Instant death falls? you betcha
Enemy placement and spawns guaranteeing hits?
Yeah, we got that too!

The death penalty is pretty minor which helps ease the pain. Haven't died on a boss yet, but I've died plenty on the platforming!

ultrazilla

Bought it for the Nintendo Switch and played some in handheld mode.
The game is beautiful. Silky smooth gameplay. Excellent controls. Music is fantastic. Everything just works very well together.
Can't wait to see where the game takes me!
Highly recommended for ANY platform you own!

P.S. Bloodstained
could use a couple lessons from Team Blasphemous!

Bodom78

Will buy this as soon as I finish Slain which I decided to finally start playing after learning that this was released.

SpiceRacz

Ended up getting it on PC. I'm 2-3 hours in and it's excellent. I have a strong feeling this is going to be my GOTY.

Acidizer

Banned
The art is gorgeous and love the grim vibe but I have a worry it gets repetitive - looks like there is only one sword single attack? and no down attack either?? (there is upwards attack)

There's a whole sword upgrade tree, I've unlocked the first tier which includes: adding an attack to sliding, plunge attack, charge attack, and extra combo hit.
Plenty of relics and rosary beads to find and equip with various effects as well.

Top Bottom