• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Black Flag is my favourite Assassin's Creed game ever

I've just been playing this game non-stop over the Holidays and it's simply awesome.

An airy, heartfealt story.
The grounded traversal & physicality of gameplay.
The graphics & Carribean aesthetics.
Badass characters of Kenway, Adewale, Blackbeard & Vane.
The feel of sailing the open seas with Shanties...
I love it's unique identity. Never trying to be a core AC at heart & sticking to its guns made the experience something special.

A fun, enjoyable Pirate Adventure with soul..
Really a breath of fresh air. Along with AC2 a highlight for this series.

Man I just love this treasure of a bad boy.
wp1901960.jpg

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yeah, mostly because it's the least AC game of them all. The pirate stuff was awesome and I wish we got an entire game out of that.

Old AC games were mostly trash. AC2 is the pinnacle and when I played it back in around 2010, I thought it was hot garbage. Years later, people hate the style because Ubisoft milked the fuck out of it but those games were always bad.

The new ones could have become something but Ubisoft took bloat to a whole new level with them. I still found a way to enjoy Origins and Odyssey but could never get past the opening of Valhalla.

Also, Unity is kind of underrated. Bugs notwithstanding, it's a solid entry in this otherwise unremarkable franchise.

K' Dash

I played this on 360 and when I got my PS4 played it again instead of Killzone and Knack.

Beautiful game.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Surprised how Ubisoft didn't pull a sequel / spin-off based on AC Black Flag, considering how great it is.

This one, along with AC2, are the sole survivours that don't stain the AC franchise.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
One of the rougher ones to go back to for me, but I do like the whole Kenway family thing an how it connected to the others.

Def was one of the first Ubi games to be too big for its own good. Fortunately sailing around was satisfying and hunting whales and the other big sea mammals was cool as shit.

Loope

Yeah, mostly because it's the least AC game of them all. The pirate stuff was awesome and I wish we got an entire game out of that.

Old AC games were mostly trash. AC2 is the pinnacle and when I played it back in around 2010, I thought it was hot garbage. Years later, people hate the style because Ubisoft milked the fuck out of it but those games were always bad.

The new ones could have become something but Ubisoft took bloat to a whole new level with them. I still found a way to enjoy Origins and Odyssey but could never get past the opening of Valhalla.

Also, Unity is kind of underrated. Bugs notwithstanding, it's a solid entry in this otherwise unremarkable franchise.
Love unity

I need to replay it. I haven't played it since launch but I remember really liking it on PS4. Unity still holds the crown in my heart for best parkour, but Black Flag really just nailed that swashbuckling adventure. Great game.

Last edited:

SCB3

Its the one I skipped as well, after AC3 I was so burnt out on AC and skipped it for a few years until Unity (I think, whatever was after 4)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ubisoft had the foresight to move off those assassins creed games but that’s another story.

MarkMe2525

They did. Thats what Rogue was
Many missed this game due to it being stuck on the 360/ps3 when everyone was upgrading to XB1/PS4. I picked up the remaster a few years back and it does have similiar mechanics. Overall, I did feel like the "world" you play in was a step back.

Kurotri

I agree completely. When I was playing it for the first time back in 2013, I felt like I was experiencing AC2 magic all over again, but this time on the high seas. They delivered 100%.

Codes 208

Many missed this game due to it being stuck on the 360/ps3 when everyone was upgrading to XB1/PS4. I picked up the remaster a few years back and it does have similiar mechanics. Overall, I did feel like the "world" you play in was a step back.
Yeah it was definitely a side project similar to the vita game, but it was still more or less the same idea as BF

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
It's my favorite AC as well.
I spent so many hours just drinking beers & boarding ships 😄

Also Mark Bonnar was great as Blackbeard.

Muffdraul

AC4 is definitely the fan favorite. As for me, big fan of AC since 2007, never liked Black Flag all that much. It wasn't bad. I guess I'm just not that into pirates.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I went back to it a few months ago and I agree. I didn't even got off the starting island as the character movement feels clunky.

Same here broski. Can never get past that intro island with that one dude...Stede Bonnett? The sugar guy.

rocketleague

Neo Member
I swear it was one of the most criticized game from the fan base when it released. I guess the older the game gets the better the reputation will be. reminds me of pokemon gen 5 at release vs now

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I swear it was one of the most criticized game from the fan base when it released. I guess the older the game gets the better the reputation will be. reminds me of pokemon gen 5 at release vs now
My recollection is that a huge chunk of the AC fanbase loved it right out of the gate. It was sandwiched between two of the most criticized ACs: 3 and Unity.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Agree. When skull and bones revealed itself to be NOT this I was heartbroken.

It’s the only AC game that ever held my attention.

rocketleague

Neo Member
My recollection is that a huge chunk of the AC fanbase loved it right out of the gate. It was sandwiched between two of the most criticized ACs: 3 and Unity.
I literally remember most of the posts complaining about how its not a true AC and how they drifted from the core series

nial

Gold Member
The only good AC are Black Flag, Unity, Origins, Odyssey and Nexus, and then 2, Syndicate and maybe Rogue. The rest are junk.

Pejo

Great taste OP. It's a fantastic pirate game (probably the best we'll ever get for just taking in the old Caribbean too) and a good Assassin game, all wrapped into one.

Flutta

Banned
Black Flag was when AssCreed was a respected franchise.
Instead of giving us another one they decided to waste resources on chasing MTX with Skull and Bones. Shit is coming in hot that is for sure.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Isn't Black Flag generally acknowledged to be the best one? Kind of strange how Ubi never went back to the well on that, except for Rogue sort of.

Too bad it never got a Pro/PS5 patch.

Last edited:
Black Flag is great, last AC game I ever played. It's amazing what a charming, compelling protagonist will do for your video game.

Laptop1991

I did enjoy Black Flag at the time and Rogue afterwards, the ship side of the game was really good and the pirate characters, infact the only thing i didn't like was the tail mission's, but not many like those anyway, not my favourite AC, but it's up there.

Kumomeme

last Assasins Creed game im enjoyed

the sea sailing exploration is fun

it is good example of keep/recycle same formula design but add new stuff atop of it at same time to keep it 'fresh'. however after this game, newer AC end up samey souless formula game over and over again.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I literally remember most of the posts complaining about how its not a true AC and how they drifted from the core series
okay.jpg We each have our own POV. I've loved AC since AC1, and didn't really care much for Black Flag at all, and felt very outnumbered with everyone else raving about it. I was surprised the everyone else seemed to love it. ~shrug~

Senua

AC2 for me. Black Flag is fun but I find most of the stuff off of the boat boring, and the story is just ok.

AC2 has an actually engaging narrative for once.

Bond007

AC2 is my pinnacle.
Black Flag after - really primarily do to the theme and naval battles.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

AC2 had better story, due to the character development of Ezio.
Naval battle is the highlight of AC4

Either of these games are better than modern AC

Last edited:
Top Bottom