• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Tale of Three Remakes (Secret of Mana, Trials of Mana, and FF7R) Discussion about Remakes in general.

Sejan

Beginning in 1993, we saw Squaresoft release three classic games through 1997. Secret of Mana in October 1993, Trials of Mana in September 1995 (in Japan of course), and Final Fantasy 7 in September 1997. Recently, these three games have been remade. Secret of Mana was remade first in February 2018. In April 2020 both Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Trials of Mana have seen remakes.

I'm particularly interested in these three remakes for a number of reasons. First, each of them was a true classic upon release. Second, because the same company released all six games that are up for discussion. Third, these three remakes followed drastically different philosophies in the particulars of how they are remade. In fact, I believe that each of these remakes gives a prime example of the three main ways that games can be remade. In this thread I'd like to discuss philosophies of remakes and how the guiding principles of this process influence the final product.

Secret of Mana - The Overly Faithful Remake

3V7z5GU.jpg

Secret of Mana is a remake in the most literal sense. They simply remade the original game with new graphics and few other minor changes. The gameplay was nearly identical to the original. To me, this remake was a huge disappointment because it stayed too faithful to the original. So many areas could have been improved such as a combat system that is largely based around waiting for a gauge to fill.

Final Fantasy 7 - The Reimagined Game

buBT9SL.jpg

Final Fantasy 7, on the other hand, uses the word remake rather loosely in its title. The game takes (part of) the basic story and characters and reimagines them to the extreme. The turn based combat is replaced with an action combat system with only nods to its roots. The maps became the inspiration for new, more expansive maps. Both major and minor characters from the original were deepened in their lore and significance. Overall, I really liked the game, but its hard to describe as a remake when it goes so far from its source in so many places.

Trials of Mana - Somewhere in Between

3tT7E3l.jpg

Trials of Mana is a remake that has been adjusted for modern expectations. The action combat of the original was evolved with the addition of combos and shortcuts, for instance. The maps are very much based on the originals with a few areas moving the camera to recreate the views of the original. The story remains the same with much of the dialogue lifted from the original while adding some story exposition as needed.

My opinions:

I hated Secret of Mana. By holding so true to the original it begged the question of why it even needed a remake in the first place if Square Enix wasn't going to bother smoothing out the rough edges. It would have been better for SE to just port over the original for $10, than try to sell this in the way that they did.

I feel Trials of Mana is quite good. It remains faithful to the original while modernizing the aspects that don't work as well in 2020. I'm very glad to see that SE took the effort to localize both the original version as well as remake it for a modern audience. In most cases, I believe that this is the direction that remakes should take.

FF7R is polarizing. Remaking such a classic in such a reimagined way was certainly a bold move. Some fans appear upset about the changes, while others are on the edge of their seat waiting for the next installment. I, personally, believe that this worked out well for them, but it could have easily failed if it wasn't well received.

Please feel free to discuss any of these remake or others. What successes and failures have we seen in the attempt to remake and recapitalize on older games?

Dacon

Banned
As a result of the asinine discussion about what a remake is because of FFVIIR, I've literally seen people argue that Trial of Mana is not a remake, but a remaster because it remains so faithful to the original.

I think Trials of Mana is the best remake out of all of the ones released in April. It's completely faithful to its original story, add new stuff here and there to mix it up, and it remains as fun and charming as the original.

Last edited:

Sejan

As a result of the asinine discussion about what a remake is because of FFVIIR, I've literally seen people argue that Trial of Mana is not a remake, but a remaster because it remains so faithful to the original.

I think Trials of Mana is the best remake out of all of the ones released in April. It's completely faithful to its original story, add new stuff here and there to mix it up, and it remains as fun and charming as the original.
I tend to agree. I like FF7R, but it stretches the idea of remake in some ways. I like Trials of Mana remake because it takes my rose tinted memories of playing it and realizes them in a way that caters to modern gameplay.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have Secret of Mana, but I never got the 3D version because everyone here said it was pretty awful. If you don’t have incredibly high expectations and you legitimately enjoy the original games then I don’t necessarily think you’ll dislike Trials of Mana one bit. For one, it’s never looked this good before in 3D. It looked good on the Super Famicom. It’s also a good game.

Adventures of Mana is a lot of fun and that’s a remake of Final Fantasy Adventure. You don’t necessarily hear a lot about it, but it was good. I played through it on my iPhone. It was a hell of a lot better than playing it on GameBoy and I also had that many years ago. I didn’t play Sword of Mana on GBA though, so Adventures of Mana was my experience beyond the GameBoy version.

Final Fantasy VII is for both the new and the current fans. It satisfies a lot of pre-existing fans and yet it doesn’t exactly stop to make you prepare for what’s ahead. It’s very linear while the other games (have their fare share of paths to follow) don’t go from here to there and don’t let you go back. Once that chapter is done, you’re off to the next one.

I think the Mana remakes have been much more truthful to the series. Final Fantasy VII Remake may be one hell of a game, it still sorta locks you in without any room to feel like the original.

D.Final

Banned
Beginning in 1993, we saw Squaresoft release three classic games through 1997. Secret of Mana in October 1993, Trials of Mana in September 1995 (in Japan of course), and Final Fantasy 7 in September 1997. Recently, these three games have been remade. Secret of Mana was remade first in February 2018. In April 2020 both Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Trials of Mana have seen remakes.

I'm particularly interested in these three remakes for a number of reasons. First, each of them was a true classic upon release. Second, because the same company released all six games that are up for discussion. Third, these three remakes followed drastically different philosophies in the particulars of how they are remade. In fact, I believe that each of these remakes gives a prime example of the three main ways that games can be remade. In this thread I'd like to discuss philosophies of remakes and how the guiding principles of this process influence the final product.

Secret of Mana - The Overly Faithful Remake

3V7z5GU.jpg

Secret of Mana is a remake in the most literal sense. They simply remade the original game with new graphics and few other minor changes. The gameplay was nearly identical to the original. To me, this remake was a huge disappointment because it stayed too faithful to the original. So many areas could have been improved such as a combat system that is largely based around waiting for a gauge to fill.

Final Fantasy 7 - The Reimagined Game

buBT9SL.jpg

Final Fantasy 7, on the other hand, uses the word remake rather loosely in its title. The game takes (part of) the basic story and characters and reimagines them to the extreme. The turn based combat is replaced with an action combat system with only nods to its roots. The maps became the inspiration for new, more expansive maps. Both major and minor characters from the original were deepened in their lore and significance. Overall, I really liked the game, but its hard to describe as a remake when it goes so far from its source in so many places.

Trials of Mana - Somewhere in Between

3tT7E3l.jpg

Trials of Mana is a remake that has been adjusted for modern expectations. The action combat of the original was evolved with the addition of combos and shortcuts, for instance. The maps are very much based on the originals with a few areas moving the camera to recreate the views of the original. The story remains the same with much of the dialogue lifted from the original while adding some story exposition as needed.

My opinions:

I hated Secret of Mana. By holding so true to the original it begged the question of why it even needed a remake in the first place if Square Enix wasn't going to bother smoothing out the rough edges. It would have been better for SE to just port over the original for $10, than try to sell this in the way that they did.

I feel Trials of Mana is quite good. It remains faithful to the original while modernizing the aspects that don't work as well in 2020. I'm very glad to see that SE took the effort to localize both the original version as well as remake it for a modern audience. In most cases, I believe that this is the direction that remakes should take.

FF7R is polarizing. Remaking such a classic in such a reimagined way was certainly a bold move. Some fans appear upset about the changes, while others are on the edge of their seat waiting for the next installment. I, personally, believe that this worked out well for them, but it could have easily failed if it wasn't well received.

Please feel free to discuss any of these remake or others. What successes and failures have we seen in the attempt to remake and recapitalize on older games?

I'm going to start Trials of Mana really soon

Sejan

Remakes that change a lot are for a newer audience so not for me. Remakes should update the graphics and make QOL changes as needed. All games have something in it that could be improved.
I'm going to start Trials of Mana really soon

Trials of mana is definitely a very faithful remake. I’ve enjoyed it so far, but it leans heavily on its retro roots. I think a lot of times, retro games are more fun in our memories than in reality. ToM does a good job of living up to my memories.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never like remakes. I just want to play my old games in 4k.
If new people enjoy it, no issue

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Read about 聖剣伝説3[ TRIALS OF MANA] just yesterday, looked really cool and it reminded me of some art I tried doing for Secret of Mana. They have no resources at all, makes a lot of sense for a game that released in 1993.

GreenAlien

A remake like FF7R is a huge gamble. If it turns out good, most fans will be happy and new people will be happy, if it turns out bad fans will be pissed.

Trials of Mana is the safe choice. Fans will be happy, new people might be slightly interested, but not quite understand the hype and be disappointed once they actually play it..

Secret of Mana is just low effort garbage and no one will really be satisfied, but not outraged either, just disappointed...

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
As someone who played Secret of Mana again recently - it was never good. The AI is too horrible to barely consider it playable. Your friends are constantly getting stuck and you can't move on without them.

Enemies stunlock you constantly and is just annoying as hell. Beautiful 16 bit graphics, but that's about it.

Trials is a good game. Both the original and the Remake I'm playing now.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is GOTY for me without question. Masterpiece.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Remakes are so dicey. You'll never make everyone happy. I am sure there are lots of people saying they just wish they got a SoM-like approach with FF7, and they're not wrong. The remake isn't the game they wanted. Hell people even complained about SOTC and that's generally considered one of the best examples of a remake.

Ten_Fold

Trials of mana is the best remake by square, all I want from a remake it to update the combat and visuals, while adding new things that doesn't make it feel like some sort of sequel remake.

Sejan

Trials of mana is the best remake by square, all I want from a remake it to update the combat and visuals, while adding new things that doesn't make it feel like some sort of sequel remake.
I pretty well agree with this point. The only other thing that I would have like from ToM is for them to slightly expand the story. I'm not saying that I want them to add to the story, just expand what is already there. Sometimes, it moves the story just a little too fast without a lot of explanation.

Secret of Mana deserves a Trails of Mana treatment. Square Enix too the criticism of the 3D remake seriously with the 3D Trials of Mana. It is never too late to correct a mistake.

Reactions: Isa

Fbh

I personally like the "re-imagining" approach of FFVII Remake the best.
I just don't see the big appeal in playing the exact same game with the exact (or nearly) same gameplay. If that's what you are going to do I'd rather just play the original or have you release a remaster, and spend those resources on something new.

I felt it with the SOTC remake. It looked really nice and there's some appeal in replaying a game you like with nicer visuals but after a couple of hours I had adjusted to the nice graphics and it just felt like playing the same game again. It was ok, but while SOTC is still one of my favorite games ever, the remake was ultimately rather forgettable and I wouldn't rank it as one of the highlight releases of this gen.

FFVII Remake is different because it actually offers a new experience. It mixes the joy of seeing these classic characters and locations remade with modern graphics but at the same time it also feels like a new game that's giving me new gameplay and new story elements. It's a more risky approach for sure but one that's more rewarding when it works out.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Genereally what's the point of remakes?

Ideally a remake should respect everything that made the original great, and if possible, take those things and improve them.

But what does "improve" mean? I think they should respect the original's artstyle and mood. In the case of graphics, ideally they should carefully update them, so much that they still look like the original, but nicer.

Like this

OoT-Comparison-1.jpg

The core attributes of the original, like gameplay, battle system, and story should stay the same. Minor improvements - if something wasn't that good to begin with - are ok.

The only complaint I have with Ocarina of Time 3D is that they could have payed more close attention the original artstyle's athmosphere (a bit darker mood), but overall it is a prime example of how to do a remake right, both graphically and gameplay improvement wise (gyro aiming for the bow for example, etc.)

Sejan

Genereally what's the point of remakes?

Ideally a remake should respect everything that made the original great, and if possible, take those things and improve them.

But what does "improve" mean? I think they should respect the original's artstyle and mood. In the case of graphics, ideally they should carefully update them, so much that they still look like the original, but nicer.

Like this

OoT-Comparison-1.jpg

The core attributes of the original, like gameplay, battle system, and story should stay the same. Minor improvements - if something wasn't that good to begin with - are ok.

The only complaint I have with Ocarina of Time 3D is that they could have payed more close attention the original artstyle's athmosphere (a bit darker mood), but overall it is a prime example of how to do a remake right, both graphically and gameplay improvement wise (gyro aiming for the bow for example, etc.)

I did like both 3ds Zelda remakes pretty well.

SantaC

Got this after FF7R and the gameplay is fun.

Everything else is pretty horrible. But fun is the most important aspect so.

Sejan

Got this after FF7R and the gameplay is fun.

Everything else is pretty horrible. But fun is the most important aspect so.

I don't mind ToM's visuals, and the music is pretty good. The voice acting, however, is pretty rough at times. I almost would have preferred that they leave it out all together and invest that money in some other aspect of the game.

SantaC

I don't mind ToM's visuals, and the music is pretty good. The voice acting, however, is pretty rough at times. I almost would have preferred that they leave it out all together and invest that money in some other aspect of the game.
Npc models are so recycled. Animations terrible and weird camera transitions.

Sejan

Npc models are so recycled. Animations terrible and weird camera transitions.
i'm a little torn on the NPC models, personally. On one hand, it is objectively faithful to the original. On the other hand, it would have been nice to have a little more variety. I don't think its a horrible problem, but it definitely stand out more today than it did on the SNES. I would have traded the below average voice acting for model variety, myself.

Orenji Neko

I had no real complaint with the SD2 remake...until I played SD3 remake and now SD2 looks like missed opportunity. I am still fine with original Seiken remake though. That game was simpler/smaller and I think it is fine as it is but SD2 deserves what they did to 3.

It makes for a weird situation for me: SD2 I still prefer to play on SFC but SD3 remake I think has overcome and replaced the original cartridge for me and I was not expecting to feel that way about it. SD3 did always feel to me as a game just a tad too ambitious for the hardware with all the pausing and hold ups in the middle of gameplay and the very slow main menus for managing equipment and such.

FF7 Remake seems fine. I've messed with it a bit because my daughter owns it but I never was a big fan of the original game way back when so it being remade was not a big deal to me and I cannot see myself really playing it. For me, buying the PS1 back then was in response to finding out that Dragon Quest 7 was coming to it (and I already got a remake of that). She did explain all the differences in story to me and I understand it may bother some but I also think it is a bit clever to not try to invalidate or replace the original much-loved game but that is just my take on it as a fan of the really old 1-6 FF games. Big fans of FF7 may or may not think differently and she seems kind of 50-50 on it.

synce

When you fundamentally change the story like 7R it's no longer a remake, it's a reboot. I'm surprised Square isn't getting called out for false advertising directly in the title. Trials of Mana was well done though, and I didn't even realize Secret of Mana came out. The only problem with these two is they look like budget titles. Great sprite work will always trump basic 3D graphics.

Sejan

When you fundamentally change the story like 7R it's no longer a remake, it's a reboot. I'm surprised Square isn't getting called out for false advertising directly in the title. Trials of Mana was well done though, and I didn't even realize Secret of Mana came out. The only problem with these two is they look like budget titles. Great sprite work will always trump basic 3D graphics.
I still think FF7R is still a good point of comparison and an example of a reimagining. While there are some changes, the majority of the story plays out very similarly to the original.

Whether FF7R ends up being a reboot, sequel, side-quel, or spinoff, the first game remains 99% a remake. You don't depart drastically from the overall plot until the end. In fact, the changes to the game largely force you to stay on plot until that point. I honestly think that they might tie the idea of "remake" into the plot. Something along the lines of "remaking" the past. My guess is that they played it as a true remake while intending it to suggest a stretched plot point as the games continue.

Dacon

Banned
I really don't like how much of the youtube I've come to love is celebrating and gloating over this and taking the piss out of the game. I'm glad at least one of my favs took a more defensive position on it, Upper Echelon Gamers, though his argument is cogent and succinct and doesn't remove the possibility of the game being awful it has nearly as many downvotes as up. People are in a fervor and WANT the game to be bad... WHY? Because Druckman said some stupid shit? Most the shit people cite is from the development of TLOU, a game that was about as well loved as games are these days. Uncharted 4 was not one bit divisive, the people who actually cared that Drake had a son instead of a daughter? 100% noisy minority. The Lost Legacy also did not have some divisive reception. But maybe it's just that it's a snowball going downhill gaining steam. The problem is when the game turns out to not be Mass Effect Andromeda but instead a great game that happens to feature female characters in lead roles this is going to be an even bigger shit show to discuss than TLJ most likely.
I still think FF7R is still a good point of comparison and an example of a reimagining. While there are some changes, the majority of the story plays out very similarly to the original.

Whether FF7R ends up being a reboot, sequel, side-quel, or spinoff, the first game remains 99% a remake. You don't depart drastically from the overall plot until the end. In fact, the changes to the game largely force you to stay on plot until that point. I honestly think that they might tie the idea of "remake" into the plot. Something along the lines of "remaking" the past. My guess is that they played it as a true remake while intending it to suggest a stretched plot point as the games continue.

There are several drastic departures from the original story even before the ending. The whispers highlight many of these moments, as does Sephiroth, the last 2 chapters of the game sport some huge additions and changes to the original plot

Sejan

There are several drastic departures from the original story even before the ending. The whispers highlight many of these moments, as does Sephiroth, the last 2 chapters of the game sport some huge additions and changes to the original plot
Yes, the implications are indeed huge. As you are playing through those moments, though, they just feel like the same thing through a different lens. Its only in hindsight, as the story is beginning to wrap up, that you see the true significance of those things. I still think that the subtitle remake is going to have some sort of significance of its own as the story continues to be told.

As far as this thread is concerned, I believe that it is still truly a remake. Even if it these changes make it a spectacularly unfaithful one.

Dacon

Banned
Yes, the implications are indeed huge. As you are playing through those moments, though, they just feel like the same thing through a different lens.

As I played through those moments I found myself annoyed tbh, that classic moments were ruined by some stupid looking dementor ass creatures. It didn't feel like the same thing to me, esp when Sephiroth is freezing time to interrupt Aerith's first meeting with Cloud, or when Cloud sees the future.

Its only in hindsight, as the story is beginning to wrap up, that you see the true significance of those things. I still think that the subtitle remake is going to have some sort of significance of its own as the story continues to be told.

Nomura has already confirmed this in the Ultimania.

As far as this thread is concerned, I believe that it is still truly a remake. Even if it these changes make it a spectacularly unfaithful one.

That's what it was marketed as anyway.

Top Bottom