• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A non-modded Western RPG where its custom characters and NPCs don't look like shit? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!??!

Nickolaidas

I love Larian. I really do. I love Sven and his crazy antiques, I love the Divine Divinity series and I absolutely LOVE Dungeons and Dragons. Larian making Baldur's Gate III is a dream come true to me, and I shudder at how long I'll have to wait to play the full game. I do not want half-baked early access, though I fully appreciate WHY it exists and how much it will benefit the players by beta-testing and giving feedback to the game.

Awesome work on the character models. It's so rare to find a non-Japanese dev team which actually makes attractive beings and doesn't purposefully downgrade them in order to not hurt overly sensitive 'gamers'.

Nickolaidas

And it has sexy times. Don't forget sexy times. 😎
OMFG - you're right!! And it will actually LOOK sexy, unlike those awkward Dragon Age romance scenes, where your character looked like he was dying when having sex.

H2e38T5.jpg

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Shoul..should I play the first 2?
Do be honest, and while I will certainly invite the wrath of the old fans (I never really played the second one and only got halfway to the first one recently) ... they haven't aged very well. The gameplay is a little different than the Larian formula which is actually based on classic turned-based battles. In the old Baldur's Gate games, action is in real time with the game giving you the option to pause at will and issue new commands to your party.

Enemy spellcasters can be a real bitch, to the point where you will find yourself save-scumming and 'cheating' in order to win (i.e. firing a fireball spell at the area you now know the boss is waiting, in order to kill its underlings before the battle starts).

Nonetheless, the fact that Baldur's Gate 2 is still considered by western RPG fans to be the greatest game ever made speaks of its great story and characters.

Give it a go if you like, but don't beat yourself up if you don't. Story-wise, it's hardly necessary to play the first two.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Definitely looking really impressive in its current state, and that's wild. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished. I think that's when I'll give it a whirl.

Nickolaidas

Are you talking about the real time dungeon crawler on ps2? I absolutely loved that series.
Apparently there's a spiritual successor (although I expect it to be a 3rd person slash and loot rather than a dungeon crawler.

Here, let me give you Drizzt camera! Let me own your nightmares!! TAKE ALL WHICH I HAVE TO OFFER!!!

ZZZZ

Holy shit, that looks so good.
I can't wait, i will be playing the EA, will probably go through it a couple of times for sure.

DelireMan7

Baldurs Gate 2 is one of the best games ever made. I still love playing it to this day. If you're going to, start with 2. BG 1 might prove slightly too obtuse.
Really curious about 2.

I am currently for the first time Baldur's gate and I have a blast. It's one of the best games I have played.

Really hyped for the entire franchise and the upcoming 3

martino

Apparently there's a spiritual successor (although I expect it to be a 3rd person slash and loot rather than a dungeon crawler.

Here, let me give you Drizzt camera! Let me own your nightmares!! TAKE ALL WHICH I HAVE TO OFFER!!!

is this gaas crap or a real game ?

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Shoul..should I play the first 2?

I'm replaying them on Switch right now and still feel they've aged well. It's pretty awesome to have these on a portable, never would have imagined back in the day. The prerendered graphics still look pretty great on the Switch screen too. Caveat: these are real old school rpgs, with permanent deaths and a non-linear path to take. Some of the encounters can be a bitch as mentioned. There's no shame in save scumming, it's pretty much a necessity. They also use an old D&D ruleset that seems confusing at first. They require some patience, but the payoff is worth it.

For the battle system, I still prefer real time with pause to turned based. Yeah it can be gamed, but the battles just play out much more epically when everything is happening at once, rather than one turn after another. Just a preference, I still enjoyed DoS2 and don't mind BG3 using it.

johntown

Banned
I am super hyped for this game. I hope I can resist the urge not to buy during early access. The worst thing is getting into a game and then running into a game breaking bug and having to wait for a fix. Sometimes its hard to get right back in without starting over. Depends how long on the fix.

Alebrije

Never played Baldurs , does it plays similar to Neverwinter Nights from Biowared? Loved that game ans recently played Divinity OS.

NWN was great btw

images

So is Baldurs similar?

Sentenza

Never played Baldurs , does it plays similar to Neverwinter Nights from Biowared?
Well, at the time NWN was the game everyone was angry and disappointed about because it didn't hold a candle to BG2.
But over time it managed to dig its own niche, mostly among users who played it online in "RPG servers". The single player campaign is still broadly reviled as cheap half-assed garbage, only partially redeemed by the expansion Hordes of the Underdark.

Sentenza

Really curious about 2.

I am currently for the first time Baldur's gate and I have a blast. It's one of the best games I have played.

Really hyped for the entire franchise and the upcoming 3
If you think BG1 is great despise all its design shortcomings and technical limitations, you are in for a treat when it comes to BG2. In many ways it's still unmatched 20 years later as a single player campaign.
It's the type of game that doesn't do almost anything exceptionally better than everyone else, but that as a whole package has little or no genuine weak points and it over-delivers more than most of the other similar products.

Last edited:

GymWolf

oh cmon why calling it dark alliance if he doens't play like the old games?!

the last one i played was champions of norrath but it wasn't quite as good as the dark alliance titles.
technically even the bard's tale was on the same engine\gameplay type.

Sentenza

it doesnt look that much better than the last dragon age game. 🤷‍♂️
Well, it looks at least on par visually (frankly a lot better, I'd say, but to each one his own) and unlike Dragon Age there are reasons to expect this to be actually fun.
The combat system is not going to be a stinking pile of shit, for a start, and Larian's quest design isn't borrowed by the MMO genre.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Well, it looks at least on par visually (frankly a lot better, I'd say, but to each one his own) and unlike Dragon Age there are reasons to expect this to be actually fun.
The combat system is not going to be a stinking pile of shit, for a start, and Larian's quest design isn't borrowed by the MMO genre.

DJT123

Even though I don't have complete confidence in Larian regarding the IP it is nice to see a big-budget Western RPG game designed for PC. Should be a nice appetizer before playing the real deal
:messenger_savoring:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Yooo.... That does indeed look good. Haven't had a good character creator since Dragon Age Inquisition (which was one of the few things that game did well).

630px-DA_CC_Nose_Tip_Position.jpg

Least it'll be better than Mass Effect Andromeda's.

637.jpg
lol, to be fair, Mass Effect custom characters have always been hideous.

Sentenza

Even though I don't have complete confidence in Larian regarding the IP it is nice to see a big-budget Western RPG game designed for PC. Should be a nice appetizer before playing the real deal
:messenger_savoring:

Oh, yeah. I expect this to be a decent side dish.
Especially now that it's going to sport the superior turn-based combat right out of the oven.
The TB mod is what made the first one a modern classic for me.

magaman

Banned
Yooo.... That does indeed look good. Haven't had a good character creator since Dragon Age Inquisition (which was one of the few things that game did well).

630px-DA_CC_Nose_Tip_Position.jpg

Least it'll be better than Mass Effect Andromeda's.

637.jpg

DA:I is widely regarded as one of the best RPGs of its generation, with an 85 metacritic score and multiple GOTY awards.

• LOL
Reactions: Fuz

Alebrije

Well, at the time NWN was the game everyone was angry and disappointed about because it didn't hold a candle to BG2.
But over time it managed to dig its own niche, mostly among users who played it online in "RPG servers". The single player campaign is still broadly reviled as cheap half-assed garbage, only partially redeemed by the expansion Hordes of the Underdark.

I liked it , so I guess Baldurs would be similar.

Also recently played this :

images

But I found it more like a graphic book , has mlre text and battles.are slower....but liked it. It seems not all those game have the same system battle....

DJT123

Oh, yeah. I expect this to be a decent side dish.
Especially now that it's going to sport the superior turn-based combat right out of the oven.
The TB mod is what made the first one a modern classic for me.
You know it. The Rtwp was useful enough to clear the trash mobs though. Owlcat hired the maker of the mod for when they updated the game in TB.

DJT123

I liked it , so I guess Baldurs would be similar.

Also recently played this :

images

But I found it more like a graphic book , has mlre text and battles.are slower....but liked it. It seems not all those game have the same system battle....
IMO, this game was a bit of a disappointment and like you say, extremely slow.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Still widely considered one of the best RPGs of its generation. :)
Which should read like a failure of the generation more than anything else.
But in reality there have been PLENTY of far better RPGs in the last few years. They just could boast a comparable budget to catch everyone's attention.

magaman

Banned
Which should read like a failure of the generation more than anything else.
But in reality there have been PLENTY of far better RPGs in the last few years. They just could boast a comparable budget to catch everyone's attention.

Never said it wasn't reflective of a failed generation. I'm just stating that it is regarded as one of the best. And unfortunately it sorta is, considering the competition.

Top Bottom