• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A newly created Microsoft subsidiary (‘Vault’) will be merged with and into ZeniMax.

driqe

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.C_.2021.040.01.0021.01.ENG&toc=OJ:C:2021:040:TOC

Microsoft acquires within the meaning of Article 3(1)(b) of the Merger Regulation sole control of the whole of ZeniMax. The concentration is accomplished by way of a merger pursuant to which a newly created Microsoft subsidiary (‘Vault’) will be merged with and into ZeniMax.
Observations must reach the Commission not later than 10 days following the date of this publication. The following reference should always be specified:
Done deal in 10 days?

Dice developer said this on era

Microsoft is creating a new subsidiary called "Vault" that will be merged with and into Zenimax. News | ResetEra
Yea this is basically the same approach that we are taking with Codemasters. Where there will be a subsidiary established called Codex Games that would handle the integration.

No idea what the actual legal or management reasons for these things are, though.

Last edited:

driqe

So Microsoft gets a controlling stake in Zenimax? Didn't they do that when buying Bethesda?
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

No idea what the actual legal or management reasons for these things are, though.
This is the best way to quickly integrate, suck the life from, and discard the remains of Zenimax.

But seriously, this is common and called a reverse triangular merger, and it's done to preserve the acquired company, isolate liabilities, and keep existing assets/contracts intact (I.e. any exclusivity agreements or partnership contracts will be kept in-tact, where other types of mergers will immediately void existing agreements).

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
So Microsoft gets a controlling stake in Zenimax? Didn't they do that when buying Bethesda?
They completely own zenimax and all the studios.....is just a publishing arm like XGS is. It is always used in M&A to avoid in case of (previous) debts that only zenimax is responsible for it . But it also allows for the acquisition of further studios under Bethesda

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So ... a Zen Vault?
seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Btw, it's just corporate structuring. By keeping it separately, MS is just simplifying how it would manage. Just like Marvel operates slightly independently, but still reports to Disney.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
This is the best way quickly integrate, suck the life from, and discard the remains of Zenimax.

But seriously, this is common and called a reverse triangular merger, and it's done to preserve the acquired company, isolate liabilities, and keep existing assets/contracts intact (I.e. any exclusivity agreements or partnership contracts will be kept in-tact, where other types of mergers will immediately void existing agreements).
you explained it better than i did

skit_data

Interesting choice of name... will Microsoft perform horrible experiments with questionable ethics in a controlled environment on the dev teams?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't fully understand, why they are (mainly the studios) are not below MS/Xbox itself, can someone chime in? Or is it some middle process before merging into MSFT? I don't watch these sort of business practices.

mejin

I don't fully understand, why they are (mainly the studios) are not below MS/Xbox itself, can someone chime in? Or is it some middle process before merging into MSFT? I don't watch these sort of business practices.

Maybe they don't want Spencer to mess them up.

Zheph

They create a new entity so it doesn't change anything for all the deals (exclusivities, contractors, etc) Bethesda already had in place. It would have been quite different if you move directly under Xbox Studios and complicate a lot of things, making it a brutal merger that could have been costly. Many companies are doing it, it won't change the fact that MS owns it and call the shots.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They create a new entity so it doesn't change anything for all the deals (exclusivities, contractors, etc) Bethesda already had in place. It would have been quite different if you move directly under Xbox Studios and complicate a lot of things, making it a brutal merger that could have been costly. Many companies are doing it, it won't change the fact that MS owns it and call the shots.
Thank you, that explains it : )

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its just a legal thing so they can take 100% ownership without legal complication to the merged business. Basically they create a subsidiary which acts as a shell, when the thing they are buying merges into the shell there's no conflict to resolve because its got no existing business of its own; what it does though is confer full legal ownership and control to its parent (MS).

Basically when two companies merge, one gets destroyed. This method preserves the both by using a freshly formed subsidiary to take the hit.

Last edited:

Interfectum

It's basically another publishing arm for Xbox, like XGS is. This way of doing it is smart because there isn't so much pressure on XGS publishing to manage all of these studios... they are broken up at a higher level and maintain a ton of jobs in the process.
EiyMBaRX0AEeTr1

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Sounds more like a github operation than a acquisition, tbh.

It's standard business stuff - when you merge two companies one of them is designated as the successor and the other ceases to exist. By forming a throwaway wholly owned subsidiary company then merging that with Zenimax with Zenimax being the successor entity they don't interfere with any the contractual arrangements that Zenimax had.

ethomaz

Banned
People needs to understand.

MS has it own policies.
ZeniMax has it own policies.

If you brute force ZeniMax into MS making all the employees works with the new policies then you create a big issue that can even generate employee contractual process.

So you create a new company that merge with the actual ZeniMax maintain most of the ZeniMax's policies and start little by little to change these policies to match MS policies... so when that new company is an state that the merge with the big MS will be transparent they do the final merger.

That is what happens in a lot of big companies that buy small companies... you avoid bureaucracy, employee law process, and the shock of a brute chance.

That is normal.
That process can take months or years... depends of how well the new company receive the changes.
In any case the new company is in full control from MS... so it doesn't means anything for us gamers... it is more an administrative process.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Where do you lock away all the games from Sony, the "VAULT". :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Actually the "Vault" allow them to maintain the actual contracts with Sony if they had any.
And allow MS to study each contract case to see if there is a way to change or even break it.

Last edited:

yurinka

Microsoft bought Zenimax (which includes Bethesda and others) for $7.5B. They bought the company, not a controlling stake.

And as part of this deal MS created a nw subsidiary called Vault and integrated on Zenimax, which I assume will be a MS team in charge of integrating Zenimax into MS.

Interfectum

People needs to understand.

MS has it own policies.
ZeniMax has it own policies.

If you brute force ZeniMax into MS making all the employees works with the new policies then you create a big issue that can even generate employee contractual process.

So you create a new company that merge with the actual ZeniMax maintain most of the ZeniMax's policies and start little by little to change these policies to match MS policies... so when that new company is an state that the merge with the big MS will be transparent they do the final merger.

That is what happens in a lot of big companies that buy small companies... you avoid bureaucracy, employee law process, and the shock of a brute chance.

That is normal.
That process can take months or years... depends of how well the new company receive the changes.
In any case the new company is in full control from MS... so it doesn't means anything for us gamers... it is more an administrative process.
People will not understand but this is a good explanation.

ethomaz

Banned
People will not understand but this is a good explanation.
In the past I watched the merge of small company with IBM in Brasil where I worked... for coincidence a friend was working in that small company and we started to work together after the merge finalized.

So I know his case... he has different beneficies in the old company than IBM offer to their employees... so in Brasilian's laws the employee should maintain all these beneficies unless it is make a another working contract.
IBM created another company merged with the small company and start to deal with each employee to reach a middle term with them... they talked and reached a deal with each one of them in private before merger with IBM.
That process took months.
In my friend case the medical plan (different from IBM employees) has maintained because it was what he cared... the others beneficies were changed to match the IBM... a new working contract was signed and so he and IBM were happy.

If you try to brute force and change the beneficies the employee could get made and go to court for his rights... that could generate several extra costs for IBM.

It just a example.
That happens a lot of times in acquisitions and in most case you don't even know about that.
I'm surprise they are talking about MS doing it lol

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
You're making this way too complicated.

The entire purpose of this whole thing is to effectively turn Zenimax into a Microsoft subsidiary - but in a way that won't trigger any of the "change of control" terms in their existing contracts.

This "Vault" entity is essentially irrelevant, since once the reverse merger is complete it will cease to exist.

This is the best way quickly integrate, suck the life from, and discard the remains of Zenimax.

Exactly this.

Top Bottom