• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Croc Remaster has been confirmed in early development

SegaManAU

Gold Member

It seems too good to be true, as most of these nostalgic PS1-era remaster rumours so often are, but this one comes straight from the mouth of Jez San, the founder of the original game’s developer, Argonaut Games – a HD version of Croc: Legend of the Gobbos is in the works!

The news comes by way of San replying to a tweet from writer James Batchelor, who’d just published a story for Time Extension chronicling the making of the iconic 1997 3D platformer. Batchelor ends the tweet by saying “Now to campaign for a Croc remaster!”

To which San simply says in his reply, “I have news but it’s a little premature to announce it. A Croc HD has started early development.”

Obviously it’s just a confirmation, and a threadbare one at that, that someone out there has picked up the tools and said “Okay, we’re doing this” and definitely doesn’t indicate that we’re likely to see this Croc HD any time soon, but it’s an exciting development nonetheless.

We’ll be sure to keep an eye on this and see how it develops.

I loved Croc as a kid. I tried it recently, and it was hard to get back into but it's definitely a series which I think could work well with some modern love.

Kuranghi

Slam Dunk Wow GIF by NBA

Gotta send this to my ex-boo asap

93xfan

Banned
but why...? it's only talked about in the conversation of nostalgic PS1 platformers
The only reason I even tried this game was because it had an analog stick controls, and I was jealous of Mario 64.

I learned over and over again that generation that there was no substitute for Mario 64. Gex 2, Rascal, etc (even bubsy 3D).

Did really enjoy Spyro though!

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Never got to play it so this is pretty neat.

Now if we could just get remasters for Glover and Ape Escape in a cartoony style.

nial

Gold Member
While it could just be a PS One classic on PS4 and PS5, it's always nice to hear that a not-so-popular (nowadays, at least) little game is being preserved.

Holammer

Never got to play it so this is pretty neat.

Now if we could just get remasters for Glover and Ape Escape in a cartoony style.
Preach it! Ape Escape remake or remaster would be great. Modernize the controls and call it a day, because it's downright painful to play it today when the right analogue stick controls camera in basically everything.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Man, I think I got this game for pc as a present back when I was a kid. Big box edition. Game ran like shit and would always quit on me. Now I can finally play it in glorious 4K60!

blessed-smiling.gif

Maddux4164

This game was very “average” even back then. I moved on from it quick to Banjo and far other platformers

Hoping it’s a cheap $9.99 title. Not some $69.99 nostalgia grab on a game that’s honestly not worth the effort

Puscifer

There's a game in development similar in spirit to it and other games. With suitably PS1 era style graphics.
Maybe it'll be able to scratch the itch.

Ooh this is perfect! Like Klanoa remasters I'll take it, it's a slice of gaming that doesn't exist anymore so I'm happy.

Codes 208

I vividly recall wanting this badly on the gbc (along with frogger 2) when i was little.

Didnt this game start off as a yoshi title that nintendo ultimately turned down so they changed the character into a new OC?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I vividly recall wanting this badly on the gbc (along with frogger 2) when i was little.

Didnt this game start off as a yoshi title that nintendo ultimately turned down so they changed the character into a new OC?
It was pitched to Nintendo as a Yoshi title, and of course it was made by Argonaut who had a long relationship with Nintendo.

But Nintendo turned it down so they made it into Croc, whether that counts as a Yoshi title is up for interpretation.

Loved the game back in the day, remake/remaster is welcome, modernize it in the right ways and we'll have a charming little game on our hands. Now bring back Gex while we're at it 👌

MrA

Banned
on the topic of competent but unspectacular late 90s 3d platformers, I present rocket robot on wheels

Come on Sony do it you know you want to
let sucker punch go home

I remember this quite well. I had a demo disc that had a few levels for it. Unless they massively change up the controls, this probably won’t do very well at all these days.

Top Bottom