• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Chef's Guide to the Deep-Fried Absurdities of the State Fair of Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

eater-StateFair-diptics-1-SoulCake-8.0.jpg

A "chicken bite" (aka chicken nugget) is sprinkled with a savory seasoning called "TT's Fairy Dust" and stuffed inside of a vanilla cupcake which is then waffle-battered, deep-fried and topped with cream cheese glaze and powdered sugar.

Finally, someone decided to turn Texans' favorite beverage into a deep-fried absurdity. Sweet tea custard gets a graham cracker crust before being tossed into the fryer and finally topped with sweet tea syrup.

"Dried parsley makes it pretty. Aside from that, it's just cheap chicken fingers in a manufactured waffle cone with Sysco sausage gravy and even at a crappy Southern diner it would be not really great. But there's a secret surprise treat at the bottom to reward you for all the hard work and commitment! Oh my god, it's a malted f---ing milk ball. Covered in gravy. Mazel tov."

A hot dog on a stick is dipped in batter and rolled in french fries (!) before taking a dip in the deep-fryer. Now why the hell didn't we think of this? Served with a side of nacho cheese.

A few more delicious and/or bizarre creations at the link:

http://dallas.eater.com/2014/10/7/6...xas-food-reviews-chef-brian-luscher-the-grape

Pickman

All of that is interesting in theory, but I refuse to have soul-draining diarrhea in a place where my only option is shitting myself or using a port-o-john.

okno

Oh my god, the fried chicken in a waffle cone sounds atrocious.

The Fry Dog is the most brilliant food idea in a long time, holy shit.

I want those bacon chocolate maple balls. Now.

Wouldn't the deep frying cause most of these 'dishes' to taste the same? I've had deep fried finger food occasionally, and no matter which one I chose it tasted basically the same. I guess thats where the glazes come in. Not a big fan of deep fried food in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom