• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8.7 million pounds of beef recalled in US, plant involved shutdown as a precaution

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-california-firm-beef-recall-20140210,0,6069493.story

A Northern California firm that recalled 8.7 million pounds of beef products distributed in four states has been voluntarily closed, the plant's quality control manager confirmed Monday.

Rancho Feeding Corp. of Petaluma on Saturday recalled the beef products sold to retailers and distributors. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service said the plant "processed diseased and unsound animals" without a full federal inspection.

As a result, the agency said, the "products are ... unsound, unwholesome or otherwise are unfit for human food and must be removed from commerce."

There have been no reported illnesses linked to the beef products in question, the company and the USDA said.

The affected beef products include whole carcasses, beef heads, 30-pound boxes of beef oxtail and cheeks. The company also recalled 30- and 60-pound boxes of beef tongue, tripe and veal cuts. A full listing of affected products can be found here.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...-archive/archive/2014/recall-013-2014-release

The following Rancho Feeding Corporation products are subject to recall:

"Beef Carcasses” (wholesale and custom sales only)
2 per box "Beef (Market) Heads" (retail only)
4-gallons per box "Beef Blood" (wholesale only)
20-lb. boxes of “Beef Oxtail”
30-lb. boxes of “Beef Cheeks”
30-lb. boxes of " Beef Lips"
30-lb. boxes of "Beef Omasum"
30-lb. boxes of "Beef Tripas"
30-lb. boxes of "Mountain Oysters"
30-lb. boxes of "Sweet Breads”
30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Liver”
30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tripe”
30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tongue”
30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Veal Cuts"
40-lb. boxes of "Veal Bones"
50-lb. boxes of “Beef Feet”
50-lb. boxes of “Beef Hearts”
60-lb. boxes of "Veal Trim"

Beef carcasses and boxes bear the establishment number "EST. 527" inside the USDA mark of inspection. Each box bears the case code number ending in “3” or “4.” The products were produced Jan. 1, 2013 through Jan. 7, 2014 and shipped to distribution centers and retail establishments in California, Florida, Illinois and Texas.

legacyzero

Banned
23587634_.jpg

terrisus

Diseased or not...

“Beef Oxtail”
“Beef Cheeks”
"Beef Lips"
“Beef Liver”
“Beef Tripe”
“Beef Tongue”
“Beef Feet”
“Beef Hearts”

Who the heck is eating these things to begin with?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Diseased or not...

“Beef Oxtail”
“Beef Cheeks”
"Beef Lips"
“Beef Liver”
“Beef Tripe”
“Beef Tongue”
“Beef Feet”
“Beef Hearts”

Expand your culinary horizons man. ;P

Though well prepared offal dishes does take some skill. Done bad it can be pretty gross, done really well though it can be amazingly good.

ISOM

Diseased or not...

“Beef Oxtail”
“Beef Cheeks”
"Beef Lips"
“Beef Liver”
“Beef Tripe”
“Beef Tongue”
“Beef Feet”
“Beef Hearts”

A lot of people eat oxtails man, and you'd be suprised how popular tongue, liver and tripe is.

Diseased or not...

“Beef Oxtail”
“Beef Cheeks”
"Beef Lips"
“Beef Liver”
“Beef Tripe”
“Beef Tongue”
“Beef Feet”
“Beef Hearts”

Dude, these things are delicious. I'll get on dat tongue, liver and oxtail. Tasty.

Diseased or not...

“Beef Oxtail”
“Beef Cheeks”
"Beef Lips"
“Beef Liver”
“Beef Tripe”
“Beef Tongue”
“Beef Feet”
“Beef Hearts”

I eat most of those things. Tongue and cheeks are especially delicious.

How did this get noticed? During a standard inspection? Some worker on the floor who didn't like the smell? Sick customers? Supermarkets or restaurants that saw the meat and went "what the fuck is growing there?"

Very curious since the meat industry can be so damn secretive.

Acid08

Banned
Diseased or not...

“Beef Oxtail”
“Beef Cheeks”
"Beef Lips"
“Beef Liver”
“Beef Tripe”
“Beef Tongue”
“Beef Feet”
“Beef Hearts”

I've had tongue in a burrito before, it was pretty good!

Josh7289

This is serious.

EDIT:

I think the leaders of this company should be locked up for 20+ years. This is my reasoning:

Most of the people working at this company just want a paycheck. They're not going to speak up because it would mean that they wouldn't have any money to feed their families. So they are not at fault.

However, I think we can assume that the ones at the top were not ignorant. You don't get to the top of a company by being lazy. So the ones at the top were not lazy. Yet, they let unsafe beef go on sale. Therefore, since we've ruled out laziness on their part, we can conclude that they knowingly sold this unsafe beef for the sick pursuit of profit above all else.

I have zero tolerance for corruption. There must be consequences for their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom